• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Greetings to everyone in BGO land. The offseason has arrived and today begins a process of looking at pending free agents, mock drafts, and any significant offseason news. Today we are posting key dates to know during this offseason. Tomorrow, we will post the first look at free agency. Friday is the first offseason mock of 2017.

Feel free to use this offseason guide on key dates as a reference. We

More...

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings to everyone in BGO land. The offseason has arrived and today begins a process of looking at pending free agents, mock drafts, and any significant offseason news. Today we are posting key dates to know during this offseason. Tomorrow, we will post the first look at free agency. Friday is the first offseason mock of 2017.

Feel free to use this offseason guide on key dates as a reference. We’ll edit it if the date changes or if there are any key additions/subtractions.

So let’s roll up our sleeves and get to work.

Important Dates For 2017 NFL Offseason

January 10 -- Coaches of non-playoff clubs are free to discuss employment if contract is due to expire.

January 16 -- Deadline for college players that are underclassmen to apply for special eligibility. A list of players who are accepted into the NFL Draft will be sent to clubs on January 20.

January 21 -- East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida.

January 21 -- NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, StubHub Center, Carson, California.

January 28 -- Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Alabama.

January 31 -- Deadline for NFL clubs to try out and negotiate with CFL players whose 2016 contracts are due to expire at 12 noon, New York time, on February 14.

February 6 -- Waiver system begins for 2017.

February 11 -- NFL Regional Combines, Seattle, Washington.

February 14 -- Beginning at 12 noon EST, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2016 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2017 season or who have an option for the 2017 season are not eligible to be signed.

February 15 -- First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

February 18 -- NFL Regional Combines, Houston, Texas.

February 25-26* -- NFL Regional Combines, Washington, D.C. *Kicker/Punter Combine

February 28-March 6 -- NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Indiana.

March 1 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m. EST, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 4 -- NFL Regional Combines, Eden Prairie, Minnesota.

March 7-9 -- Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2016 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m. EST, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. EST on March 9.

March 9 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m. EST, clubs must exercise options for 2017 on all players who have option clauses in their 2016 contracts.

March 9 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m. EST, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

March 9 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m. EST, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2016 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.

March 9 -- Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2017 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m. EST.

March 9 -- All 2016 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m. EST.

March 9 -- The 2017 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m. EST.

The first day of the 2017 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m. EST on March 9. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m. EST and 11:59:59 p.m. EST on March 9.

March 9 -- Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m. EST after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

March 11 -- NFL Regional Combines, Metairie, Louisiana.

March 26-29 -- Annual League Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona.

April 3 -- Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2016 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 17 -- Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 21 -- Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.

April 27-29 -- 2017 NFL Draft, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

May 5-8 -- Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 9 -- Deadline for Prior Club to send “May 9 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a Player Contract with a club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. EST, only with his Prior Club.

May 12-15 -- Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 15 -- Rookie Football Development Programs begin.

May 18-21 -- NFLPA Rookie Premiere. Invited Rookies (typically, first and/or second-round selections) must be permitted by their respective clubs to attend. Such players are unavailable for offseason workouts, OTA days, and minicamps during this period.

May 22-24 -- Spring League Meeting, Chicago, Illinois.

June 1 -- Deadline for Prior Club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.

June 2 -- For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the 2018 League Year.

June 15 -- Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

Late June -- Rookie Transition Program to be held at individual clubs. Attendance is mandatory for all rookies.

July 15 -- At 4:00 p.m. EDT, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one year contract with his prior club for the 2017 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.

Mid-July -- Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players.

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

July 22* -- Signing Period ends for unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “May 9 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m. EST on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

* Or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

July 22 -- Signing Period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m. EST on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings from BBQ. A continued Happy New Year to you. The 2016 season is now behind us and a new defensive coordinator will be hired along with new defensive assistants.

The offseason has officially started for the Redskins and today we have our first look at free agency. Soon we will have our first mock of 2017. The mocks will increase in frequency until the very moment we reach the draft. We will look at our own free agents including those who are re-signed, released, and those who may not return. We will list candidates to be released and the cap savings/hit. We’ll provide updates as needed.

We will no longer list free agents from other teams, just team needs for the Redskins.

So strap in as we dive into the first update of this 2017 offseason.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months. Who will the Redskins target, re-sign and release? Feel free to offer your ideas on free agency and the draft.

Team Needs:
Free Safety
Defensive Line
Wide Receiver
Inside Linebacker
Left Guard
Running Back

Free Agents Obtained:

Free Agents Re-signed:

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Kirk Cousins, QB – (Will be re-signed or franchised)
Pierre Garcon, WR – (Possibly re-signed)
DeSean Jackson, WR – (Likely walks)
Chris Baker, DL – (Unknown)
Vernon Davis, TE – (Possibly re-signed)
Nick Sundberg, LS – (Likely re-signed)
Terence Garvin, ST – (Unknown)
John Sullivan, C – (Unknown)
Greg Toler, CB – (Likely walks)
Duke Ihenacho, SS – (Unknown)
Ziggy Hood, DE – (Possibly walks)
Cullen Jenkins, DL - (Likely walks)
Donte Whitner, SS – (Likely walks)
Vinston Painter, OT – (Unknown)
Kedric Golston, DL (Likely walks)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Very likely re-signs)
Josh Evans, SS – (Likely Walks)

Restricted Free Agents:
Chris Thompson, RB – (Likely Tendered)
Ty Nsehke, OT – (Likely Tendered)
Will Compton, ILB – (Unknown)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

Possible Cuts, Cap Savings, Candidates For Restructure:
Shawn Lauvao, LG – (Possibly released - $4 Mil saved if cut)
Kory Lichtensteiger, C - (Likely released - $3.5 Mil saved if cut)
Mason Foster, ILB - (Unknown – $1.225 Mil saved if cut)
Will Blackmon, FS - (Unknown - $1.0 Mil saved if cut)
Derek Carrier, TE - (Unknown - $1.075 Mil saved if cut)
Matt Jones, RB – (Likely Released - $1.218 Mil saved if cut)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Unknown – $690K saved if cut)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Unknown - $615K saved if cut)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Unknown - $4.25 Mil saved if cut)
Niles Paul, TE – (Unknown - $2.0 Mil saved if cut)

Suspension:
Silas Redd, RB – (Released)

Offseason Updates:
Late last week the Redskins fired defensive coordinator Joe Barry and three assistants, including Perry Fewell.

There seems to be a strong interest on both sides for impending free agent receiver Kenny Britt. Look for a deal to get done on the first day of free agency.

Personal Thoughts:
Jay Gruden will be tied to the success of the new defensive coordinator. BBQ sees this as his last chance to prove leadership and coaching ability.

If Junior Galette is re-signed, it should be for the veteran minimum and nothing more.

My likely to be released list includes DeAngelo Hall, Kory Lichtensteiger, Shawn Lauvao (just a gut feeling), Matt Jones, and Ryan Grant (just another gut feeling).

I also think it is possible that the team moves on from Niles Paul. I would prefer to keep him, but this is just a wildcard feeling.

If the team cuts ties with DeAngelo Hall, BBQ wouldn’t mind seeing him in a front office role.

Hail To The Redskins!

I'm surprised that you don't list 'Center' as a team need. For me, I'm tired of seeing whomever's under center getting pile-driven back into the pocket, stepping on Kirk's foot, hiking the ball a foot too high or low on shotgun formations, or failing to open up rushing lanes or push the pile on short and goal situations. We need a legitimate Center who's big, athletic, consistent, and nasty. Do we have anything like that now? Spencer Long? John Sullivan? Kory? I don't see any of those guys as anything but place holders.

Personally I agree with what you are saying, but the vibe I get from insiders is that they think Long could work there. I should get a better sense as to what they are thinking in the next few weeks.

Also, to be honest, there are no prospects in this year's draft like the Alabama center last year.

I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Thanks BB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich Tandler had something of a tease in yesterday afternoon's CSN podcast. He said there is a chance, be it ever so small, that there could be a tag and trade on Cousins. He mentioned Cleveland and their two first round picks. Then he suggested that Kyle Shanahan, could go after Cousins if the Falcons OC gets a HC job. Tandler said to watch what happens with McVay as well - the Redskins OC could also go after Cousins if he is hired by the Rams or 49ers.

If McVay would actually come after Kirk, should he land a HC gig, it kinda suggests that he knows Scot, Jay, or both, are not that enamored with Cousins. And are more than willing to get something for him, and go with Colt while grooming Sudfield, or some other rookie in the meanwhile.

Doesn't it?

Watching the college football marathon last night, came away impressed with LB Ben Boulware from Clemson.

What's the word on him draft wise as far as where he's likely to go?

Also, are we sure the FO is ready to move on from Matt Jones? Wouldn't it be more prudent to hang on to the guy into the preseason, in hopes that he gets the message and learns? It's not that he doesn't have talent. He needs to run like a big man, while running "lower", as they say. And hang on to the friggin ball. Which can indeed be achieved. (Tiki Barber).

If nothing else, a good showing in the preseason might help us get something for him. Instead of eating the loss of a 3rd.

Watching the college football marathon last night, came away impressed with LB Ben Boulware from Clemson.

Well, I know I can't answer the question. I don't watch college......anything.

But I do know ILB is as big a need a DL is. I'm hoping the BPA with our 1st couple picks is a either a DL, ILB, or S. And, I don't really care which 2.

Of course, if the BPA is a guard, LT, or the next David Johnson, I'll be fine with that too.

Boulware grades out to around the fourth to sixth round. He is a bit small by NFL ILB standards. Based on last night's performance and his showing at the Senior Bowl, Combine, interviews, etc., he could slip into the third round.

I'd do anything to get Watson. He is legit and will have a Cam Newton like impact right away. Plus upside. Cousins is out of upside imho.

Otherwise I agree to also trade up for J. Allen DT, Foster ILB both Alabama. Or Fitzpatrick S Ala. I watched every Alabama game, with my family from Alabama all Tide everyday type thing. I'm not as big a fan as them but love to watch them perform on defense. They also perennially have studs on the Oline and RB.

He threw for almost 5000 yards and was highly accurate for the 2nd season in a row micks - he doesn't need any 'upside' in those areas - he's already at the top tier in those categories. He can definitely improve (upside?) in INTs thrown (12 this year, middle of the QB pack), and passing TDs particularly in the endzone (upside?). I think when looking at 'upside' for QBs, you also have to factor in the rest of the offense - their performance doesn't happen in a vacuum.

I am a little surprised that anyone is comfortable extrapolating college QBing success to the NFL level after the 'RG3 experience' :)

I see DHall taking a pay cut to stay here. He will have competition this year.

I've wondered about tagging Cousins and entertaining offers from teams wanting him. You could get 2 first rounder picks or see what someone willing to give up. I don't see him going to the Browns. Wouldn't that send RG3 into orbit.

Since Kirk is in free agency la la land again I'll post this link here.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/1/10/14227502/kirk-cousins-the-redskins-150000000-man-nfl

All will be scrutinizing the money vs Kirk's perceived 'worth' if he gets his long term deal, the blog kinda helps those (like me) who actually have some problem understanding how these contracts are structured and identifying the actual 'beef' within.

Jaws will drop seeing the headline but read on.... the number looks good for PR, status, agent pelts and all of the other essential placards needed to justify negotiations and signings to the public perspective but is it 'real'?

Broncos hire Dolphins DC Vance Johnson to replace Kubiak. Scratch Shanahan & McVay off of that list.

Wonder if McVay's departure makes resigning Kirk more or less likely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, unless Callahan is promoted to OC, this pretty much ensures Gruden will now "officially" call the plays on gameday, doesn't it?

As for McVay, we'll see if the playcalling changes with a Gurley in the backfield. And a green QB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.