• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)

According to our friends at Hogs Haven, the Redskins will make a run at Eagles DT Bennie Logan in FA. This is also confirmed by several media outlets in Philadelphia.

Another likely target in FA is Kenny Britt of the Rams.

There is more chatter from Redskins pundits in the know who believe that a long term deal will be reached with Kirk Cousins.

Look for Morgan Moses to get a new contract this offseason.

Look for Spencer Long to get a new contract this offseason.

It's looking a little more likely that Shawn Lauvao will stay another year in DC. He could be a candidate for a salary reduction.

Logan could be a double plus. Improve here at the expense of a division rival. From what I've seen, Philly is not in a great position to retain him.

Philly is in a world of hurt on cap space and not many places to cut on the roster to get anything back. $9M saved for Peters (35) so they may have to let him go. Some OLBs that they could get a few million back on but they can't dump them all. Sproles (33) is a $4M savings and maybe a luxury they can't afford. Plus they are carrying $7M in dead money (2nd most) and they can't eat much more. Washington has about the same dead money (3rd most) but they also have the cap space to absorb it.

Anyway, Eagles aren't gonna have a lot of bucks to spread around. Maybe they draft an RB in the first round and make Ryan Matthews (29) expendable ($4M saved). 7 seasons and he's played 16 games once. They're gonna have a lot of tough choices ahead of them this year at any rate. Too bad.

Lauvao was one of Jays first big signings so he'll probably get the benefit of the doubt but 32 games in 3 seasons hasn't been a good deal for a 4 year/$17M contract.

Not to bring politics into this, even though Kenny Britt already did, I'd rather not have someone on this team in DC who pushed along that "hands up, don't shoot" bullshit on a large stage, especially he being the ringleader.

Nick

Not to bring politics into this, even though Kenny Britt already did, I'd rather not have someone on this team in DC who pushed along that "hands up, don't shoot" bullshit on a large stage, especially he being the ringleader.

Nick
DeAngelo Hall led about 8-10 players on this team in a Hands Up protest during a game intro last year.

I'm not getting the push/fascination with Kenny Britt to be with us. He's got decent #'s but nothing shouting priority wr imho.

Yeah count me in the don't sign Redskin players that protest on duty.

Junior Gallette saying he's resigning with us tomorrow.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">5 years of my Prime Left I Promise to give it everything I have...Thankful to be signing another… <a href="https://t.co/7wQVDIk7DR">https://t.co/7wQVDIk7DR</a></p>— Junior Galette (@JovaisG) <a href="https://twitter.com/JovaisG/status/826528964046946304">January 31, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, I don't quite get the Britt thing either. Maybe a plan if they don't resign either Garcon or Jackson I guess.

Four 1,ooo yard FA WRs; Garcon, Jackson, Pryor & Britt. All had pretty similar numbers (Jackson, Pryor & Britt finished within 5 yards of each other).
Spotrac contract projections {link: 2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac} for those guys are:
Garcon (30) 2 yr's/$8.7M @ year; Pryor (27) 4 yrs/$8.9M @ year; Jackson (30) 2 yrs/$7.6M @ year; Britt (28) 3 yrs/$6.7M @ year.

Out of those 4, if they didn't resign either Garcon or Jackson I'd take Pryor over Britt. Terrelle did break 1,ooo yds catching passes from at least 3 different QB's which isn't easy and 6'4''/223 lbs is a big WR.
Assuming they do keep at least 1 of Garcon or Jackson, do the Skins need to pay a WR $7M @ year to a guy who probably is #3 in targets at best for them? Reed will get his, they still have Crowder and Doctson who may or may not work out but for a $1M @ year difference between Britt and Jackson just keep Jackson. They'll know in 2 years where Doctson's at and there's time to get someone else if he doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think #8 will suffer, a lot, if we lose both Garcon, & Jackson. They both bailed him out on numerous occasions with stellar catches of poorly thrown balls. And yes, like all WR's, they dropped some easy ones too. But not many. Personally, I think it best to have all 3 back. If the price is right.

Yeah, I think #8 will suffer, a lot, if we lose both Garcon, & Jackson. They both bailed him out on numerous occasions with stellar catches of poorly thrown balls. And yes, like all WR's, they dropped some easy ones too. But not many. Personally, I think it best to have all 3 back. If the price is right.

The beating on Cousins gets a little old Ax. Of course he makes imperfect throws and his WRs help by making great catches - just like every other QB in the league (including future HOFers. You can't explain away his overall accuracy %'s and yardage records. Jackson is expendable. Garcon is far more essential. Jordan Reed and Crowder are more important than either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see it as beating on #8. I don't.

With the uncertainty you yourself have expressed about the availability of Doctson going forward...and with the egg shell status of Jordan Reed, I don't see how jettisoning either one of your top WR's as being anything but risky.

I don't have the games recorded, but I'd be willing to bet that many of his completions could have been much bigger plays if he hit the receivers in stride. That's where the "stats" fail to tell the whole story. Even a lot of the long TD passes were underthrown, making what should have been a walk-in TD closer than it should have been.

And yes, I know all QB's do it. Some more than others. If pointing that out is "beating on" someone, then so be it. If he wants to be paid like the best, then he needs to play, and produce wins, like the best. With big money comes big expectations. As it should be. And all excuses lose relevancy.

The beating on Cousins gets a little old Ax. Of course he makes imperfect throws and his WRs help by making great catches - just like every other QB in the league (including future HOFers. You can't explain away his overall accuracy %'s and yardage records. Jackson is expendable. Garcon is far more essential. Jordan Reed and Crowder are more important than either of them.

Yeah, I don't quite get the Britt thing either. Maybe a plan if they don't resign either Garcon or Jackson I guess.

Four 1,ooo yard FA WRs; Garcon, Jackson, Pryor & Britt. All had pretty similar numbers (Jackson, Pryor & Britt finished within 5 yards of each other).
Spotrac contract projections {link: 2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac} for those guys are:
Garcon (30) 2 yr's/$8.7M @ year; Pryor (27) 4 yrs/$8.9M @ year; Jackson (30) 2 yrs/$7.6M @ year; Britt (28) 3 yrs/$6.7M @ year.

Out of those 4, if they didn't resign either Garcon or Jackson I'd take Pryor over Britt. Terrelle did break 1,ooo yds catching passes from at least 3 different QB's which isn't easy and 6'4''/223 lbs is a big WR.

Even if they do keep Garcon, I would love to see them get Pryor. He's a better overall athlete than Britt, showed he can be a good receiver to move the chains and get downfield if necessary, and brings the ability to be the wild-cat QB in the red-zone that often is the issue I have with #8. Even if it meant the Skins scored 5 or 6 more TDs in the red zone, I think that alone could win at least 2 or 3 more games with a team that plays so many close ones. Lastly, Britt was too inconsistent for me. He had a few big games, but lots of games with around 50 yards or so. Not what the Skins need going forward.

Um, ok. Does this double post mean you're "beating on" me? ;)

In a bit I will be posting an edited mock. Yesterday it was learned that the Redskins seventh round pick is actually owned by the 49ers - a condition of the Derek Carrier trade.

Even though it is being posted today (first day in February), we will still have another mock later this month.

You see it as beating on #8. I don't.

With the uncertainty you yourself have expressed about the availability of Doctson going forward...and with the egg shell status of Jordan Reed, I don't see how jettisoning either one of your top WR's as being anything but risky.

I don't have the games recorded, but I'd be willing to bet that many of his completions could have been much bigger plays if he hit the receivers in stride. That's where the "stats" fail to tell the whole story. Even a lot of the long TD passes were underthrown, making what should have been a walk-in TD closer than it should have been.

And yes, I know all QB's do it. Some more than others. If pointing that out is "beating on" someone, then so be it. If he wants to be paid like the best, then he needs to play, and produce wins, like the best. With big money comes big expectations. As it should be. And all excuses lose relevancy.

I think Jackson is declining and is less critical than most, but that's a valid point regarding Doctson and Reed. But we can add insurance in free agency and the draft if either or both of them fail to be consistently available.

In regards to Cousins you are changing the topic :). I agree, if Kirk wants a big money long-term contract he's got to improve (or we have to believe he's capable of further growth and improvement. I'm criticizing your characterization of him TO DATE as an inaccurate passer who is saved only by the amazing abilities of his WRs. That's patently false and also ignores the other side of the equation, how many great balls are dropped, how many times he has to rush a throw because of pressure, how many times WRs run the wrong or an imprecise route. Those are also all factors related to accuracy that I never see you reference. Cousins is a damn accurate passer - he just is. We can agree to disagree as usual.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017(Continual Updates)​

Greetings from BBQ to all in BGO land.

Today we bring you the second mock of the 2017 offseason and it features nine draft choices. The original plan was to post one mock in January and another one in February, but many changes to the coaching staff makes the extra mock necessary. We are re-doing this particular mock on the first day of February – the last day of January revealed that the Redskins do not have a seventh round pick – a condition created by the dynamics of the Derek Carrier trade with the 49ers.

After free agency begins, the frequency of mocks will increase as players are re-signed and added from other teams. During the week of the draft, we will have a mock each day. Please keep in mind that the early mocks will likely look much different than the final mocks. Many factors will dictate those changes. Along the way we will feature mocks that have trades (including today). Too, we will not be featuring mocks that have a trade involving Kirk Cousins – only if and when that actually happens.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, team additions, coaching changes and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we’d like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

An extra note that we will continually post throughout the mocking process: These mocks may not necessarily be what BBQ wants or what the members at BGO may prefer. These mocks are designed to try and get into the mind of Scot McCloughan and see what he will do.

Without any further delays, let’s take a look at the second mock for 2017.

Team Needs:
Free Safety
Defensive Line
Wide Receiver
Inside Linebacker
Left Guard
Running Back

Round One: Trade
The Redskins trade down in round one to the latter stages and pick up a third rounder and a 2018 third rounder.

Round One: Chris Wormley, DE/DT, Michigan
The Redskins waste no time in repairing the defensive line and grab the All-Big Ten defensive lineman. The commitment to the line is real and genuine. Wormley is tenacious and very consistent – rarely makes mistakes. Extremely intelligent. He is a 3-Tech who will probably line up on the outside on most plays, but will kick to the inside at times. Very disruptive in the running game and gets occasional pressure on the quarterback. Probably needs to add about ten pounds of bulk and muscle. A dedicated team player.
Other Possible Targets:
Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt
Malik McDowell, DE, Michigan St.
Jamal Adams, FS, LSU
Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida
O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Round Two: Budda Baker, FS, Washington
The first name just screams “Football Player”, but Baker is a very talented free safety and possesses superior speed. The All-PAC 12 performer can cover large swaths of the football field and is very aggressive in coverage. Plays with unending confidence. A bit of a liability in the running game, but his quickness makes up for that skillset. Can focus in on receivers and stay with them step for step. Needs to improve his tackling and should do so with good coaching. A natural free safety.
Other Possible Targets:
D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas
Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU
Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida
Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
Jalen Tabor, CB, Florida
Ethan Pocic, C/G, LSU

Round Three: Forrest Lamp, OT/G, Western Kentucky
Injuries have taken a toll on Shawn Lauvao and the Redskins likely need a replacement at left guard. Enter Forrest Lamp, guard/tackle of the CUSA’s most prolific offense. He could start immediately at left guard. Has the versatility to play tackle, but is better suited to be on the inside in the NFL. The four year starter on the left side had great games against the likes of SEC powerhouses LSU and Alabama. Very aggressive. Solid in the run game. Very good in the passing game.
Other Possible Targets:
Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson
Jarron Jones, DE/DT, Notre Dame
JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU
Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson
Obi Melifonwu, SS, Connecticut

Round Three: Anthony Walker, ILB, Northwestern
There are several inside linebackers who garner more attention, but Walker comes from a Big Ten program that receives lesser attention. Couple that with him being something of a sleeper prospect and it is not surprising to learn that he is rated a bit lower. But Walker should be rated higher and could be a starter on day one. Has extreme quickness – gets to the quarterback quickly and limits running backs coming out of the backfield. Would need to improve his coverage skills, but is very intelligent and a quick learner.

Round Four: Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan
The Redskins add a very talented and highly underrated receiver in the fourth round from the Big Ten. The system he was in limited his receptions, but his talent probably yields many more catches in a friendlier offense. Chesson will likely need a year to learn the nuances of an NFL offense, but could contribute meaningful minutes in the latter part of his rookie season. However, his overall talent could have him on the field sooner.
Other Possible Targets:
Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech
Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M
Kyle Fuller, C, Baylor
Jaleel Johnson, DE, Iowa
Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
Dan Feeney, G, Indiana
Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

Round Four: Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar
There are strong rumors of Bashaud Breeland moving to free safety and the Redskins decide to take a corner. As one of the better athletes to come out of the Southland Conference this season, Langley is a tough defender with genuine football intelligence. Started his collegiate career at the University of Georgia and was moved to safety out of necessity (injuries to other players). Feeling that corner was still his natural position, he transferred to Lamar and had an impressive career. Good size, solid speed, nose for the football, excellent defender.

Round Five: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
Ray Rice saw his career end with a fist to the face of his wife on an elevator. It was brutal. Joe Mixon slapped a young woman over two years ago and the tape is also brutal. Does the young man deserve a chance? It could be a question that Scot McCloughan is willing to answer and do so in the affirmative. No one questions the elite talent that is Joe Mixon. The Big Twelve dynamo is electric and powerful at the same time. If he can assure the Redskins GM that lack of maturity is no longer an issue, then Mixon is a major steal here.
Other Possible Targets:
Marquez White, CB, Florida St.
Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas
Taylor Moton, G/OT, Western Michigan
Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
De’Veon Smith, RB, Michigan

Round Six: Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
Scot McCloughan wastes little time in trying to improve the defensive line. While TV announcers could have a fun time trying to pronounce his name, Kpassagnon, a CAA standout, has impressive size to go along with impressive skills. In 2016 alone he had twenty-one tackles for a loss and eleven sacks. Swats passes down with ease.
Other Possible Targets:
Jay Guillermo, G/C, Clemson
John Johnson, FS, Boston College
Josh Augusta, DT, Missouri
C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa
Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington
Duke Riley, ILB, LSU
Isaiah Jones, WR, East Carolina

Round Six: Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington
The world as we know it may end if Scot McCloughan drafts three defensive linemen in 2017. It could happen as it is a huge need and the PAC Twelve standout from the Northwest would be a good addition late in the draft. Clogs up the middle very well. Qualls would be excellent in the running game, but does not bring a pass rush and that lowers his draft stock just a bit. He did have four sacks this past season, but that was against lesser competition. Likely would be used as a rotational player and on short yardage situations.

Undrafted Free Agent Prospects:
Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan
Jordan Evans, ILB, Oklahoma
Jamari Staples, WR, Louisville
Matt Elam, DT, Kentucky
Cam Keizur, C, Portland St.
Adam Griffith, K, Alabama
Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette
Christian LaCouture, DT, LSU
Kai Nacua, FS, BYU
Patrick Towles, QB, Boston College
Johnny Mundt, TE, Oregon
Tanner Gentry, WR, Wyoming

Prospects Contacted, Interviewed, Visited:
East-West Shrine game - EW
Senior Bowl - SB
Combine – NFLC
Team Pro Day – TPD
Team Visit – TV
Private Workout – PW

Billy Brown, WR, Shepherd – EW
Avery Moss, DE, Youngstown St. - EW
Erik Austell, OT, Charleston Southern – EW
De’Veon Smith, RB, Michigan - EW
Tony Stevens, WR, Auburn - EW
Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan – EW
Joey Ivie, DT, Florida – EW
Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky – SB
Ryan Glasgow, DT, Michigan – SB
Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar – SB
Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M - SB
Marquez White, CB, Florida St. – SB
Ben Gedeon, ILB, Michigan – SB
Tarell Basham, DE/OLB, Ohio - SB
Zach Banner, OT/G, Southern Cal - SB
Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn - SB
Dalvin Tomlinson, DE, Alabama – SB

There is your second mock for 2017 and prospect lists. Free agency and the draft will be here before you know it. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.