• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Well here we go, Defensive changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually a Barry critic for a while, but now I feel we made the wrong decision to can him this offseason.
And it's not just because the replacement options are slim.
Looking at the lack of talent on our Defense, I actually believe he had them over-acheiving and played well under the circumstances. We were basically a "Bend, but don't break" defense (as evidenced by total yards given up vs points allowed, and the fact the defense made some good game-saving stops during the season), much like the Chiefs "Bend, not break" defense which got them into the playoffs. And what kept us out of the playoffs really, was the offensive failures, like in the Giants' game, and other games, where we couldn't come up with the final knockout punch at the end.
I would have been fine with Scot giving Barry some more talent to work with in 2017, and seeing how he handled it, for just one more year.

I was actually a Barry critic for a while, but now I feel we made the wrong decision to can him this offseason.
And it's not just because the replacement options are slim.
Looking at the lack of talent on our Defense, I actually believe he had them over-acheiving and played well under the circumstances. We were basically a "Bend, but don't break" defense (as evidenced by total yards given up vs points allowed, and the fact the defense made some good game-saving stops during the season), much like the Chiefs "Bend, not break" defense which got them into the playoffs. And what kept us out of the playoffs really, was the offensive failures, like in the Giants' game, and other games, where we couldn't come up with the final knockout punch at the end.
I would have been fine with Scot giving Barry some more talent to work with in 2017, and seeing how he handled it, for just one more year.

I'm fine with the organization canning Barry. His resume was probably the worst in the league when they hired him and more than likely still is. I doubt anybody picks him up. Wish him well in his future endeavors...

Considering the dearth of talent on the defense this past season I doubt Buddy Ryan would have made a difference. Without significant help from the front office, good luck to anyone taking the position.

I think your position is a reasonable one Fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Crennel staying to show Vrabel the ropes, then ride off into the sunset.

The top 5 total points against D's this yr are

1. Patriots
2. Giants
3. Seattle
4. Denver
5. Turds

There's gotta be an assistant/position coach that would make a solid DC for us from those teams. I mean if we're looking at Rob Ryan & Raheem may as well set up an interview with Charlie Sheen.

After the Barry fiasco I would be very surprised if McCloughan is not in a front and center role picking the new DC.

This will be the third DC in four years. We have to stop the merry go round.

As we did here in DC with Gibbs working with Petitbon, the HC and coordinator need to respect each other but they don't have to be career long friends beforehand.

Elway went out and hired Wade Phillips to work with Gary Kubiak.

They won a Super Bowl.

I don't know if they were previously friends or simply respected peers.

The point is Elway as the GM didn't just sign on to ANY hire Kubiak may have wanted to make.

Callahan has officially said he isn't interested in being OC. Likes what he's doing. Word came from his Agent Bob LaMonte.

Bradley to Chargers so that fantasy (for some fans) is over.

Right, but Phillips was also the best candidate based on resume.

I will bet you that if Wade Phillips came off a defense that was ranked consistently in the 20's and had been in charge of a squad that went 0-16, Elway would NEVER have signed off on that hire.

One thing that is suspect about all of these guys on the Texans now.

The TALENT the Texans have on that side of the ball is outstanding. All of their top picks have been spent on defense and specifically impact players in the front seven.

I don't know that going out and getting any position coaches/assistants from Houston and having them come here is going to result in improvements UNLESS the front office is willing to make a similar commitment.

With Gruden as the Head Coach, I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins drafted Cook at #17 as a 'three down' back in the draft if he is available and look to 'take care of' the defensive liabilities in the front seven in Round 2 and beyond.

Gruden is an offensive coach and seems comfortable in a role where wins come as the result of outscoring teams 35-30.

In Cincinnati that was OK because it was a nice counter-balance to the defensive bent of Head Coach Marvin Lewis.

That kind of combination worked.

Here we don't have that.

It might have seemed like heresy a year ago after popping up to 9-7 after the media predicted we would be 3-13 or 4-12, but right now I would not cry my eyes out if McCloughan decided ultimately to fire Gruden after 2017 and move on from Cousins as well.

Kirk as I indicated has worked to make himself into a good starting quarterback.

But as we see with Belichick, you don't pay a good player an elite wage.

In the era of the cap, that's one way to ultimately end up in the crapper.

The Eagles are going to have Wentz on very reasonable contract terms for another 3 plus years and my guess is once Pederson gets some wide receivers in the offseason and some help on the interior OL, Wentz is going to reach and then surpass Cousins.

He's 23 and Cousins is going to be 29.

If you buy into the 'value' philosophy, NOW is the time to sign and trade Cousins to the 49ers and Shanahan for that #2 overall pick and another high choice in 2018.

There's no point in signing Cousins to a mega-deal in 2017 if Gruden is out the door in 2018.

A new coach coming in may not like Cousins' contract and feel that Cousins is not the qb to LEAD a team to a championship.

The advantage the Eagles have with Wentz, the Cowboys have with Prescott, etc. is that both quarterbacks are better athletes, bigger, stronger, have better downfield arms, and are much younger and on cheaper deals while they improve vis a vis Cousins.

Cousins at 29 is at that fish our cut bait point where he is now showing you what his best is like.

Other than Rich Gannon, I can't think of a quarterback that didn't do much before 28 and then blew up into an MVP candidate as he did back in 2000-2002 with the Raiders.

I don't see that for Cousins. If he were to go to SF and have Kyle as his HC, I could see him continuing to put up over 4,000 yards and 25 touchdowns, but it's cloudy for me to see him out-dueling the top tier quarterbacks in key games including the playoffs.

Greg Manusky is the new D.C.

So I guess we weren't waiting on a mystery candidate that is still involved in the playoffs. :doh1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.