• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Well here we go, Defensive changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_2656.JPG

Rex Ryan would create too much of a media circus, which is the last thing we need. Rob Ryan wouldn't be an upgrade over Barry.

I've heard the usual suspects named, plus Manusky, and the DB Coach for Carolina.

I just want a DC that gives me confidence. Wasn't over joyed when we hired Barry. His track record didn't inspire confidence.

His track record at Detroit was enough to send up the warning flags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was manuskys defenses in San Fran? They were not that great with the colts

Todd Bowles, come on down!

When I heard that we might pursue Gus Bradley, I thought I'd rather have Bowles as well.

Don't be surprised to see Bradley brought in rather quickly.

Wonder if they'll give Kirk Olivadotti and interview?

We need more good players, absolutely. But we also need someone who can craft the players we DO have into a cohesive unit that plays its collective ass off every week. We've too often been less than the sum of our parts under Joe Barry.

Excited for the first time since after the Packers game. :)

No truer words could be spoked! My biggest problem has always been the lack of creativity with the lack of talent.

Let's just hope the 3rd time is the charm for Gruden.

Haslett was a swing and a miss.
Barry was a swing and a miss.
Miss this one, and the next head coach gets a crack at it.

Let's just hope the 3rd time is the charm for Gruden.

Haslett was a swing and a miss.
Barry was a swing and a miss.
Miss this one, and the next head coach gets a crack at it.

Everyone is suggesting Gruden has the last word on his assistants, but I cannot for the life of me believe he wanted Haslett.

My gawd! The last 2 DC's have been complete head scratchers when the guy we should have brought in took 2 different defenses to the top of the league, winning the Super Bowl with one of them.

I am not a huge Gus Bradley fan, I think it was more about the players he inherited than his ability, but it looks like he's gonna be the next DC.

Another name that might be interesting?

Mike Vrabel. He's currently the LB coach of the Texans, who have the #1 ranked D according to NFL.com.

Mostly teams like to get their Coordinators in prior to the draft so they can have some input. Mostly.
However that may not be as big of a priority with Scot. He has final say on all the players signed and played. He knows what he is trying to build. He'll want a DC that fits that vision.
So maybe he's willing to stock players if he doesn't get his DC prior to the draft. He might wait and not settle for just some guy only to have a body there for the draft because that's what everyone else does.

Obviously, you'd like to have your vacancies filled quickly and he with the front office have a list of names but no one is going to put a gun at Scot's head if they can't fill any of those spots right away.

Wonder if they'll give Kirk Olivadotti and interview?
I doubt it. As often as they release and rehire him I don't see him as a candidate. Although he probably hangs around with the LBs again.

Last edited:
Everyone is suggesting Gruden has the last word on his assistants, but I cannot for the life of me believe he wanted Haslett.
Why not? He wanted Joe Barry.

My gawd! The last 2 DC's have been complete head scratchers when the guy we should have brought in took 2 different defenses to the top of the league, winning the Super Bowl with one of them.
I have always believed Gruden didn't want a bigger name than his as a coordinator.

He doesn't have that luxury anymore. He has to make the playoffs next year, or he's done here.

Pride ain't so hard to swallow after you chew on it a while.

Why not? He wanted Joe Barry.

The suggestion was that when Scot came on board, he was going to give Gruden autonomy over his assistants, I believe that. But I do not believe that Allen and Snyder agreed to it the first season Gruden was here...that's why Haslett stayed. I do not think Gruden had a say in the Haslett retention.

Phillips only wanted to coach for 1 guy and that was kubiak.

Phillips only wanted to coach for 1 guy and that was kubiak.

That's not true, he wanted to coach here. His son, Wes is our TE coach and it was strongly suggested he wanted to coach with his son. We hired Barry, he subsequently took the Broncos job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.