• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Grading BBQ

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
The 2016 season is over, but now it is time to look at how BBQ fared with the predictions for each game. We said that the final record would be 8-8 and fall short of the playoffs. Let

More...

Grading BBQ’s 2016 Season Predictions

The 2016 season is over, but now it is time to look at how BBQ fared with the predictions for each game. We said that the final record would be 8-8 and fall short of the playoffs. Let’s take a look at how it went.

September 12 – Steelers at Redskins
The Jay Gruden era enters a third season with a lot of hope after winning the NFC East title in 2015, but a challenging schedule awaits. The Steelers are a perennial playoff team and they are looking to make a possible run at the Super Bowl. The visiting team is lacking a few players, but manages to win.
Steelers 24 Redskins 21
BBQ: We got the first game of the season right, but the actual score wasn’t as close as predicted.
BBQ Record: 1-0

September 18 – Cowboys at Redskins
The Redskins are looking for a measure of revenge from last year’s home loss to the fierce rival from Texas. It’s close, but a late surge carries the Redskins to their first win of the season.
Redskins 34 Cowboys 24.
BBQ: The Redskins did score some points, but the Cowboys scored more.
BBQ Record: 1-1

September 25 – Redskins at Giants
The Redskins visited the Giants in game three last year and the blue jerseys are looking for a similar result. This game is much closer and the home team prevails with a late touchdown.
Giants 31 Redskins 28
BBQ: The predicted score was very close to the actual score, but it was a win for the good guys.
BBQ Record: 1-2

October 2 – Browns at Redskins
The Redskins are bit behind early in the season and hope to put a win on the board. The Browns and former quarterback for the Redskins, Robert Griffin, III, come to town. The Browns are in disarray and the home team wins by a wide margin.
Redskins 45 Redskins 10
BBQ: The Redskins did win by a comfortable margin, but the score was a bit closer.
BBQ Record: 2-2

October 9 – Redskins at Ravens
The I-95 rivalry is renewed and both teams are struggling a bit. A win for either team puts them in a much better position. The Redskins use a handful of field goals from Dustin Hopkins as he carries the day in a defensive battle
Redskins 26 Ravens 17
BBQ: In one of BBQ’s better predictions of the season, Dustin Hopkins did help the team win.
BBQ Record: 3-2

October 16 – Eagles at Redskins
The Eagles are having a season to forget, but they are focused on future seasons. The Redskins are poised to have a solid game against the NFC East foe. Confidence continues to build as the home team enjoys a comfortable win.
Redskins 38 Eagles 14
BBQ: It wasn’t a comfortable margin, but the team is building momentum.
BBQ Record: 4-2

October 23 – Redskins at Lions
The Redskins are looking to build on their three game winning streak. Jamison Crowder has his best day thus far and a see-saw affair with the Lions leaves the game in doubt until Dustin Hopkins connects on a long field goal.
Redskins 27 Lions 26
BBQ: So close! If the defense had been better on that last drive, this prediction is rock solid.
BBQ Record: 4-3

October 30 – Redskins at Bengals…In London
Riding high on a four game winning streak, the Redskins are looking to build on the momentum and begin a push toward the playoffs. The Bengals have other ideas and the “visiting” team loses on a neutral field.
Bengals 37 Redskins 21
BBQ: For the first time, BBQ encounters a tie. We count that as a missed prediction.
BBQ Record: 4-4

Bye:
After the return trip across the Atlantic, the Redskins hit the halfway mark of the season. If they can match their record in the first half of the season, it is likely to hand them a playoff berth and a division title.
BBQ: We would later witness a team that struggled down the stretch. Hopes for a division title were fading fast, but a playoff berth was possible.

November 13 – Vikings at Redskins
The Redskins are looking to sustain some momentum toward a solid playoff run. Playing the Vikings at home is a good chance to start a new winning streak. In something of an upset, the home team let’s one slip away.
Vikings 30 Redskins 28
BBQ: The Redskins won as the Vikings continued a huge meltdown after a 5-0 start.
BBQ Record: 4-5

November 20 – Packers at Redskins
The Packers come to town and are looking at a playoff run of their own. The Redskins are looking to rekindle the magic of their early season success. The Packers score early and often. It is the worst game of the season for the home team thus far.
Packers 42 Redskins 19
BBQ: A complete and total miss. The score was nearly accurate – in favor of the Redskins.
BBQ Record: 4-6

November 24 - Redskins at Cowboys
The annual Thanksgiving game in Texas gives the Redskins very little time to prepare for their division rivals. The spirited contest is an offensive battle, but a great game from Ezekiel Elliott leads the Cowboys to a win.
Cowboys 41 Redskins 35
BBQ: This game went pretty much as expected and the prediction was very accurate.
BBQ Record: 5-6

December 4 – Redskins at Cardinals
After the excitement of a four game winning streak early in the season, the Redskins are now mired in a four game losing streak. It doesn’t get any better in the desert as the visiting team is now on the brink of elimination.
Cardinals 28 Redskins 25
BBQ: Unfortunately, this prediction proved to be true in many ways. The Redskins were actually losing their grip on a playoff appearance.
BBQ Record: 6-6

December 11 - Redskins at Eagles
The boys wearing Burgundy and Gold travel to The Linc and hear the boo-birds. However, that booing is for the home team and the Redskins poor it on with a much needed victory.
Redskins 51 Eagles 21
BBQ: Yes, the Redskins won and kept their playoff hopes alive, but the game came down to the last seconds.
BBQ Record: 7-6

December 19 – Panthers at Redskins
It sure is nice to have a home game. An upset win is needed to keep faint playoff hopes alive. However, Carolina is just too much. Too much Cam. Too much Kelvin. Too much Greg. Too much Jonathan. You get the idea.
Panthers 48 Redskins 31
BBQ: We hate being right at times and this was a game that frustrated the coaches, players, and fans alike.
BBQ Record: 8-6

December 24 – Redskins at Bears
It’s Christmas Eve and the Redskins still have their faint playoff hopes alive and desperately need a win. The Bears are more than happy to oblige as the home team flounders. The bad news comes after the game. The playoffs are no longer a possibility and a division title is out of reach.
Redskins 43 Bears 15
BBQ: We simply nailed this one, but the Redskins were now pretty much in control of their own destiny. Our best overall prediction of 2016.
BBQ Record: 9-6

January 1 – Giants at Redskins
The Giants choose to rest their starters on the first day of 2017 and with a division title in hand, they will concede this game to the Redskins. Several players in the Burgundy and Gold are able to get some valuable game experience.
Redskins 35 Giants 10
BBQ: Well, this was a total miss as the team struggled in a game that was expected to propel them to the playoffs. This beats out the Packers game for the worst prediction.
BBQ Record: 9-7

BBQ predicted an 8-8 record and the team ended up with an 8-7-1 tally. That is a solid seasonal prediction, but the overall BBQ record was 9-7 – a bit of a struggle.

BBQ Self Evaluation Grade: B-

We’ll try to do better next year.

How did your predictions for 2016 fare? What are your expectations for 2017? Do you see a better record? Worse? Are there any surprises coming for 2017? Let us know what you are thinking.

On Friday we will hand out seasonal grades for the entire team and coaches in the final regular season update. Next week we will post the first look at free agency, then the first mock of 2017.

Hail To The Redskins!

Well, I predicted 11 wins, I think. Although easily attainable, (1st Cowboy game, Cincy, season ending Giant cluster****) I was obviously wrong.
Grade F-

I predicted a top 15 defense. Faith might move mountains. But it can't tackle for shit.
Grade F- squared, to the 3rd power, over 6

I predicted improvement from the head coach. Yes, I had hope.
But, as my dear ole Daddy used to say, "Hope in one hand, shit in the other, and see which one fills up first."
Grade F- to the fifth power, over 9, times 2

You're undermining your own incessantly negative point Ax. The point is, had our kicker been able to make a gimme 25 yd FG the Giants game wouldn't have even mattered. The point is, we'd have made the playoffs for the 2nd season in a row, something this team hasn't done in eons. My God - why is Gruden not fired already due to this unacceptable reality?!!!!

This team has a long way to go, with talent acquisition, with playcalling, and yes with coaching. I'm not blind. I see some of the continued issues with playcalling, imbalance on offense and red zone ineptitude, and of course there's the defense. I get it. We're not there yet.

But this delusional position you have that Gruden is the worst coach in the league is mystifying. Gruden came into a less than ideal situation. Team in turmoil. Local media frenzy. Drama queen failed QB who got his coach fired. In my estimation Gruden did the following in relatively short order:

1. Made it clear to drama queen QB that the best QB would start, regardless of what we paid to get him.
2. Eliminated the 'I'm going to run to the press and whine about my team and personal situation' dynamic.
3. Helped remove Dan Snyder from anything football related.
4. Elevated the best QB we've had in arguably 20 years.
5. Won an NFC East title in just year 2.
6. Came a single play away from getting us back to the playoffs in year 3.

We aren't there yet. EVERYBODY knows that. There are lots of concerns, starting with whether or not Kirk is the right guy to lead the offense for the forseeable future, and how (if it's even possible) to get him on board for the long term. And the glaring concern over whether or not Joe Barry knows what he's doing and can be an NFL caliber DC. And those are just the two most glaring. But I think it's difficult to argue that the past 2 years haven't been a huge improvement over what we've experienced from other Redskins regimes, teams, and coaching staffs over the years. The franchise is moving in the right direction. Honestly, I'm not sure why you are filled with angst and blame?

You're undermining your own incessantly negative point Ax. The point is, had our kicker been able to make a gimme 25 yd FG the Giants game wouldn't have even mattered. The point is, we'd have made the playoffs for the 2nd season in a row, something this team hasn't done in eons. My God - why is Gruden not fired already due to this unacceptable reality?!!!!

This team has a long way to go, with talent acquisition, with playcalling, and yes with coaching. I'm not blind. I see some of the continued issues with playcalling, imbalance on offense and red zone ineptitude, and of course there's the defense. I get it. We're not there yet.

But this delusional position you have that Gruden is the worst coach in the league is mystifying. Gruden came into a less than ideal situation. Team in turmoil. Local media frenzy. Drama queen failed QB who got his coach fired. In my estimation Gruden did the following in relatively short order:

1. Made it clear to drama queen QB that the best QB would start, regardless of what we paid to get him.
2. Eliminated the 'I'm going to run to the press and whine about my team and personal situation' dynamic.

We aren't there yet. EVERYBODY knows that. There are lots of concerns, starting with whether or not Kirk is the right guy to lead the offense for the forseeable future, and how (if it's even possible) to get him on board for the long term. And the glaring concern over whether or not Joe Barry knows what he's doing and can be an NFL caliber DC. And those are just the two most glaring. But I think it's difficult to argue that the past 2 years haven't been a huge improvement over what we've experienced from other Redskins regimes, teams, and coaching staffs over the years. The franchise is moving in the right direction. Honestly, I'm not sure why you are filled with angst and blame?

Lol this is everything I've been trying to say on the Kirk Cousins thread!!

I thought I was going mad?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I ever really put a prediction down.
I remember looking through the games pre season and figured that 9-7 seemed about right considering our tougher schedule (including our short turn around times and the overseas game) and the fact our bad defense essentially was the same unit.

I'll do a proper prediction next year! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, allow the Ugly American to explain.
As I just wrote in another post, going back and changing a result of one game is fun to do. But it does not insure everything that followed would have remained the same. So, while it may be most probable, it is absolutely, positively NOT reality. But, I'm glad hyperbole is available to Pretty Americans. ;)

See, now we're dancing.

But this delusional position you have that Gruden is the worst coach in the league is mystifying.
Show me where I ever said such a thing.

The only thing I can guess is that you thought the grade I gave myself for predicting he'd improve this season, was a grade for him. It was not. I saw no improvement from him this year. I was hoping he would repeat his 2nd year improvement over his 1st. I was wrong. Terribly wrong. And graded myself as such. I guess I shouldn't have been so ugly to myself.

Gruden came into a less than ideal situation. Team in turmoil. Local media frenzy. Drama queen failed QB who got his coach fired. In my estimation Gruden did the following in relatively short order:

Agreed. Although he didn't have the guts to do it until he had Scot on board, and in agreement.
Which should be SOP for any coach. Forgive me for not being overly impressed for doing what he should.
Yes, he helped. How much, we don't know.
True. But from such a low threshold, there wasn't much room to go down.
True. As have other coaches in league history.
Also true. But using some other posters logic...How many bad game plans, lack of in game adjustments, poor coaching choices, etc... did more to prevent a 2nd playoff berth than that one single play?

We aren't there yet. EVERYBODY knows that. There are lots of concerns, starting with whether or not Kirk is the right guy to lead the offense for the forseeable future, and how (if it's even possible) to get him on board for the long term. And the glaring concern over whether or not Joe Barry knows what he's doing and can be an NFL caliber DC. And those are just the two most glaring. But I think it's difficult to argue that the past 2 years haven't been a huge improvement over what we've experienced from other Redskins regimes, teams, and coaching staffs over the years. The franchise is moving in the right direction.
Again, we're in step. Dancing our butts off.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you are filled with angst and blame?
Well, gee Wally. I thought opinions were the desire here.

I'm on record supporting, reluctantly, another year of Gruden. Admittedly, after failing to show improvement in his 3rd year, at least in my ugly American opinion, I have little faith that he will succeed. But if Scot can bring in enough players that can overcome poor coaching, on both sides of the ball, then maybe he can still succeed. I hope so. I'm tired of the carousel too. Have said so for more years than many others have. I don't know why me calling a spade a spade, as I see it, is so discombobulating to some.

You know damn well I'll be making, and serving the Kool-Aid come training camp.

Sincerely,
The Ugly American

I saw no improvement from Gruden either. Though this year is not the year to make a change imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.