• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Week Seventeen Grades, Evaluations, Questions

Junior Galette is raring to go, says his tendons are now the size of his calves, money doesn't matter and has talked to Scot.

Wants to prove it all over again, coming up from an UDFA status to highly touted talent.

Figures his influence and attitude on the field can only help.....wants to work with Preston in particular.... the kid has the 'stuff' he just needs to be reminded of it.... forget the bad play, just tear it up on the next one.

We'll see

It's about the soundness of the Achilles. Tendons aren't hamstrings - that particular tendon is very problematic. Not many guys come back from a total tear and I think it's likely he will never be the same player even if he doesn't reinjure it. Attitude doesn't much come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A league minimum contract with no guaranteed money wouldn't hurt anything. Might even get to actually see him play in the preseason.

Agree Boone, attitude doesn't cure torn Achilles but it sure can help on the field if he can overcome any physical limitations and be productive.

If he can hang around long enough to get Smith's ass in gear then it might be worth that pittance of a paycheck he seems to be ready to accept.

I'd take a punt on Gallette for League minimum.

Even if he's lost the burst he's obviously hungry to play and some of our defensive players could learn a thing or two by just being around him in that respect.
We need that kind of fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd just assume see them both let go, sign Dion Jordan out of Miami and leave Trent Murphy to rotate in and out for Jordan and Kerrigan...then draft someone. After my brief experience with Smith, I was not impressed with his character and I just don't think we can tie up money and a position for someone who has been sent to the IR 2 season in a row before the season starts.

Up through 2015 (and this may have changed) there was an Active/Non-Football Injury list which does count against the roster and a Reserve/NFI which doesn't because a player on the reserve list can't come back that season. The team isn't required to pay him but could if they wanted to. To actually choose not to pay a player doesn't always work out. Burress retained all of his salary after shooting himself in the leg even though the Giants tried to withhold part of it. A player can be on the Active list longer than he can be on the Active PUP but if he returns to practice he can't go back to NFI.

The Skins could have put Marshall on the NFI list even though his injury was in college but rolled the dice and brought him into camp so he went to IR. Anyway, Juniors salary isn't much (about $1M) and he has been on the Reserve NFI not IR so he's been fairly cheap to keep even though the Skins probably paid him something which still counts against the cap but not against the roster. So sign some FAs is still a good idea but I see no reason not to at least bring Galette into camp and decide if he has anything to contribute provided he has medical clearance by then. If not, I don't know that it would make sense to Reserve him for a third year in a row just to keep him around.

Some guys never respect the game as a profession (ie Tanard Jackson). If Smith, along with a others, haven't gotten a wake up call after seeing the those on the Defensive Coaching staff that got fired they won't be around next year.

Up through 2015 (and this may have changed) there was an Active/Non-Football Injury list which does count against the roster and a Reserve/NFI which doesn't because a player on the reserve list can't come back that season. The team isn't required to pay him but could if they wanted to. To actually choose not to pay a player doesn't always work out. Burress retained all of his salary after shooting himself in the leg even though the Giants tried to withhold part of it. A player can be on the Active list longer than he can be on the Active PUP but if he returns to practice he can't go back to NFI.

The Skins could have put Marshall on the NFI list even though his injury was in college but rolled the dice and brought him into camp so he went to IR. Anyway, Juniors salary isn't much (about $1M) and he has been on the Reserve NFI not IR so he's been fairly cheap to keep even though the Skins probably paid him something which still counts against the cap but not against the roster. So sign some FAs is still a good idea but I see no reason not to at least bring Galette into camp and decide if he has anything to contribute provided he has medical clearance by then. If not, I don't know that it would make sense to Reserve him for a third year in a row just to keep him around.

Some guys never respect the game as a profession (ie Tanard Jackson). If Smith, along with a others, haven't gotten a wake up call after seeing the those on the Defensive Coaching staff that got fired they won't be around next year.

I'm talking about taking up a spot from the beginning of camp...Gallette cannot be trusted to hit the field on season opener so why would we consider giving him a spot during camp?

I understand what you're saying, I am talking about up front, the spot that we could use for a young, healthy player who could break out but we'll never know because Gallette is given another shot.

Nothing wrong with bringing him in to camp and see what he has left

Nothing wrong with bringing him in to camp and see what he has left

Unless you pass on that young, healthy player that ends up going to a division rival and becoming a super star because you want to take one more flier on Gallette.

What's the roster at the beginning of camp? 90 now? And the first cut to 75 is the 3rd PS game. If you miss out on a player because Galette's in camp at the beginning someone probably should've found that hidden gem for one of those other 89 spots. I still don't see any reason not to look at him as long as he has medical clearance. I'm not saying he should make the final cut or even the first one but he's worth a shot as 1 out of 90 players.

What's the roster at the beginning of camp? 90 now? And the first cut to 75 is the 3rd PS game. If you miss out on a player because Galette's in camp at the beginning someone probably should've found that hidden gem for one of those other 89 spots. I still don't see any reason not to look at him as long as he has medical clearance. I'm not saying he should make the final cut or even the first one but he's worth a shot as 1 out of 90 players.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I liked giving him a second chance, not a 3rd at the risk of possibly losing out on another player.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I liked giving him a second chance, not a 3rd at the risk of possibly losing out on another player.

Well, in my mind, it's worth it to make sure. Lest we find out as he blind sides Kirk on Monday Night Football with an ugly star on his helmet.

Hopefully Scot will get the best 90 guys on his list into OTA's, if that includes Jr. then I'll be OK with it.

Those hidden 'gems' are exactly that, hidden.

If the scouts are digging in the good stuff then those gems should be uncovered whether Jr is on the list or not.

If Jr is cleared, shows big in OTA's and stays healthy then he might just be worth relinquishing that one last shovel full of stuff.

The irony is that Jr himself came from same, so risking that extra shovel full does have merit.

Gallette is 29 years old and hasn't played football in almost two and a half years. Even if he does come back to play, you have to wonder whether he is a good bet to make it through a 16 game season anymore given his injury history.

He might be a good guy to bring back as a situational pass rusher on third downs, a guy like him would find that kind of role back in the day with Joe Gibbs and Richie Petitbon.

But with free agency and the cap, he is going to want to come in and put up numbers so he can get a bigger contract in the 2018 offseason.

I wonder if he will be satisfied with that kind of targeted but more limited role?

I think it's worth considering.

But Gallette is not a 3 down answer for us at OLB at this point.

What we really need is to find out whether Preston Smith is going to continue to tease us or if he is going to focus and come out of his shadow to put up a consistent 16 games for us in 2017.

Smith was a high #2 pick and if he makes it, that means one less piece we have to go out and find.

If he fails, you have to question what McCloughan is doing with some of these picks.

It's beginning to look like Bruce Allen's last draft in 2014 is actually helping to propel the team forward with Trent Murphy (9 sacks), Morgan Moses (starting RT) and Spencer Long (starting OC) playing front line roles for us.

Scherff and Crowder look like great picks, very good players with work ethic to match.

But for us to move forward Scot needs to come up with more than 1 or 2 major contributors in a given draft, assuming we have 8, 9 or 10 selections, etc.

That's New England and Pittsburgh's strategy - maximize the number of picks to maximize the number of hits in the draft.

But the results for them are there.

Having Brady and Rapistburger gives them a lot of room for error.

And every draft pick ever selected, by anyone, is a 50/50 shot, at best. Be it injury, scheme, continuity, etc...

It's a crapshoot. As much as many try to pretend it's not. Think I read somewhere that 30% success rate is the norm.

Having HOF QB's is what increases the percentage as much as anything.

Joe Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls without a HOF quarterback. Parcells won 2 Super Bowls in NY with Simms and Jeff Hostetler. Ditka won with Jim McMahon at quarterback. The Ravens won in 2000 with Trent Dilfer and again in 2011 with Joe Flacco. The 2002 Bucs won with Redskins castoff Brad Johnson.

You can make an argument the Broncos won the SB last year without a clear starting qb, with the sudden decline of Peyton Manning and the see-saw play of Brock Osweiler in those 6-7 games he played in.

It would be an interesting discussion to ask the question that if Kirk Cousins was being backstopped by the 2013 Seahawks defense or the 2015 Broncos defense, whether the Redskins would still be playing football, heading into the postseason with perhaps an 11-12 win regular season.

I would make the argument that he would.

And no one is willing at this point, myself included, as saying Cousins is better as an individual performer than Rodgers, Roethlisberger or Brady, etc.

But, it's a team sport.

Don't discount what Belichick has done.

The 2001 and 2003 teams were really led at least in part by stellar defenses that finished near the top of the league and forced a lot of turnovers during the season.

In that 2001 game, the Patriots held the best offense in 20 years in the NFL to 17 points.

And when considering New England's championships in 2001, 2003 and 2004 you have to also point to Adam Vinatieri, arguably the greatest money kicker in NFL history.

It isn't a coincidence that the Patriots margin of victory in their first 3 championships was THREE points per contest, with Vinatieri kicking the winning field goal in two of those games.

All I was saying is having a top 3 defense and the best kicker in the NFL during that period are definite assets for the Head Coach that go beyond simply having a franchise quarterback.

I remember all those years Don Shula had Dan Marino in Miami and he never was able to put a top defense and special teams on the field to complement the production he was getting on offense.

Marino never did get that ring, despite setting passing records (at the time).

All I was saying is having a top 3 defense and the best kicker in the NFL during that period are definite assets for the Head Coach that go beyond simply having a franchise quarterback.

I remember all those years Don Shula had Dan Marino in Miami and he never was able to put a top defense and special teams on the field to complement the production he was getting on offense.

Marino never did get that ring, despite setting passing records (at the time).

I guess what I'd argue is that these factors aren't mutually exclusive. Having an above average to franchise level QB can certainly be helpful. Finding and retaining one doesn't by definition have to preclude one from having other strengths - including a top tier defense, does it? While there a lot of ways to skin a championship cat, seems to me that the most common of denominators amongst championship competing franchises tend to be things like:

1) Coaching stability
2) Hit more than they miss in the draft
3) At least above average quarterbacking
4) Disciplined teams with positive turnover ratios
5) Ability to run as well as pass (at least have a viable run threat)

There may be other factors but those seem to be the main ones I see. Of course, there are exceptions. If one were to use those 5 factors as a gold standard, and we were to rate the Redskins right now, I'd say really only #3 is for certain (assuming we manage to sign Kirk). Coaching stability? Nope - we could be starting 2017 with a brand new OC and DC. If I'm being generous, I could maybe give the Skins the benefit of the doubt on recent drafts, but given last year's I'm not inclined to as we could very well have blown our #1 pick in 2016. #4? Skins had a zero takeaway to giveaway ratio in 2016 - 21 of each. That puts them smack dab in the middle of the NFL and that's not good enough. And while there may have been signs of hope at the end of the season on #5, the Redskins have a long way to go to demonstrate they can consistently balance that high-powered passing attack with a reliably productive passing attack.

So - if you break it down this way, we have a long way to go to be a perennial playoff, championship-contending team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.