• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The NFL Network is reporting that Mike Shanahan has confirmed this hire. Here is a a quick primer on the Redskins new OC.

Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan

kyleshanahan.jpg

Kyle Shanahan - houstontexans.com Biography

Kyle Shanahan enters his fourth season with the Houston Texans, sixth in the NFL and second as the Texans' offensive coordinator. Shanahan coached the quarterbacks in 2007 and the wide receivers in 2006 before being named offensive coordinator on Jan. 11, 2008. At age 29, Shanahan is the youngest coordinator in the NFL.

Shanahan’s first year as coordinator was an overwhelming success, as the offense ranked third in the NFL, gaining a franchise-record 6,113 yards and passing for a franchise-record 4,267 yards. The offense was equally adept on the ground, running for 1,846 yards at a team-record 4.3-yard clip. Shanahan helped a pair of players earn Pro Bowl nods, with wide receiver Andre Johnson making his third career trip and tight end Owen Daniels making his first.

Johnson garnered first-team AP All-Pro honors after he led the NFL in receptions (115) and receiving yards (1,575). Running back Steve Slaton won the rookie rushing title with a franchise-record 1,282 yards. Quarterback Matt Schaub turned in his first 3,000-yard season, passing for 3,043 yards and 15 touchdowns against 10 interceptions, giving him a passer rating of 92.7. The offensive line featured the same starting lineup for all 16 games and gave up just 32 sacks in 555 pass attempts.

As the quarterbacks coach in 2007, Shanahan saw his group combine to have an outstanding season. The Texans' signal callers were sacked just 22 times all year. Quarterback Matt Schaub threw for 2,241 yards and nine touchdowns with nine interceptions in his first year as a starter. Backup Sage Rosenfels threw for 1,684 yards and 15 touchdowns with 12 interceptions. Their 24 combined touchdown passes were a team record.

With Shanahan as his position coach in 2006, WR Andre Johnson turned in the best season of his young career and earned a starting nod in the 2007 Pro Bowl. Johnson led the NFL with 103 receptions and had his second 1,000-yard season with 1,147 yards. Johnson’s 103 catches accounted for 31.3 percent of the Texans’ total completions, more than any receiver in the league. Opposite Johnson, veteran Eric Moulds contributed 57 catches for 557 yards and a score. Kevin Walter, signed as a restricted free agent in the offseason, proved to be a solid addition with 17 catches for 160 yards on the year.

Shanahan joined the Texans from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he served as offensive quality control coach during the 2004 and 2005 seasons. In his first season with the Bucs, he helped rookie Michael Clayton establish franchise rookie records for receptions and receiving touchdowns. He also helped receiver Joey Galloway finish seventh in the NFL in receiving yardage in 2005.

He spent the 2003 season as a graduate assistant at UCLA, which participated in the Silicon Valley Bowl at the end of the season.

During his senior year playing at the University of Texas as a wide receiver, Shanahan played in 12 games and averaged 8.9 yards per reception.

He attended Duke University in 1999 and played wide receiver for the Blue Devils before transferring to the University of Texas in 2000. He spent two seasons at wide receiver for the Longhorns.

Shanahan was born in Minneapolis and attended Cherry Creek (Colo.) High School. Shanahan and his wife, Mandy, reside in Houston and celebrated the birth of their first daughter, Stella, in 2007.

COACHING LEDGER

2008-09: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Houston Texans
2007: Quarterbacks, Houston Texans
2006: Wide receivers, Houston Texans
2004-05: Offensive Quality Control Coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2003: Graduate Assistant, UCLA

Texans 2009 Offensive Stats
Yards per Game - 383.1 (4th)
Points per Game - 24.2 (10th)
Rushing Yds per Game - 92.2 (30th)
Passing Yds per Game - 290.9 (1st)
TD Passes - 29 (5th)
INTs Thrown - 17 (14th worst)
Sacks Given Up - 25 (25th worst)

Texans 2008 Offensive Stats
Yards per Game - 382.1 (3rd)
Points per Game - 22.9 (17th)
Rushing Yds per Game - 115.4 (13th)
Passing Yds per Game - 266.7 (4th)
TD Passes - 21 (13th)
INTs Thrown - 20 (2nd worst)
Sacks Given Up - 32 (16th worst)

Son of Broncos coach ready to take reins of Texans offense (Rocky Mtn. News 5/08)

Shanahan Role in Texans Offense (BroncosTalk.com 5/08 - includes 2 videos)

Kyle Shanahan Learns the Ropes (Denver Post, 12/06)

274.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, he looks so young! I'm feeling quite old at the moment!

Future Skins Coach in the making?
I had a similar thought and it made me wonder how long the elder Shanny might be planning to coach. He could perhaps be planning to complete the current contract and hand the HC reigns over to Shanny Jr. afterwards. Who knows though?

In any event, I really can't wait to see who Shanny fills out the rest of his staff with. I sure would love to see our DL get to play a more aggressive brand of football and I can't wait to see how our young receivers develop with real, bona-fide position coaching and game plans.

And yes, I am really, really excited...in case it wasn't terribly apparent. :)

Yeah, me too. Love Gibbs to death, but when he came back he re-installed his old offense, which was obviously dated. He did bring it up to speed for the most part, but I'm hyped to have a hungry young guy in here that does nothing but spend his life at the Park dreaming up new schemes, ala Joe Gibbs 1981.

And maybe we can get someone on here on D that will put Rak at DE and let Fat Al Butterworth "wreak havoc" like he wants to do

At least the younger Shanahan has a track record and this is not a case of blatant nepotism.

Remember when Marty wanted to elevate his son here BEFORE he paid his dues in 2001?

Brian has turned out to be a good coach but he was not ready to be a coordinator under his father.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I had a similar thought and it made me wonder how long the elder Shanny might be planning to coach. He could perhaps be planning to complete the current contract and hand the HC reigns over to Shanny Jr. afterwards. Who knows though?

In any event, I really can't wait to see who Shanny fills out the rest of his staff with. I sure would love to see our DL get to play a more aggressive brand of football and I can't wait to see how our young receivers develop with real, bona-fide position coaching and game plans.

And yes, I am really, really excited...in case it wasn't terribly apparent. :)

I've seen rumors several places, including, of all things, a Jets fan forum (?!?) hinting at Mike Zimmer as possibly coming in as DC. Frankly it sounds a bit like wishful thinking on the part of some Skins fans being broadcast around.

Would make one hell of an interesting set of coaching staff names though, wouldn't it? Let's see, now if Shanny were to dump Danny Smith, well, Bobby April's name is popping up all over the place as a "hot" special teams coach since he's unoccupied at the moment. Of course the 49ers let Al Everest, their special teams co-ordinator go today so they'd be in the hunt, and Packer fans are screaming for a new special teams coach...

Damn, this speculation stuff is just too much fun...lol! :D

I've seen rumors several places, including, of all things, a Jets fan forum (?!?) hinting at Mike Zimmer as possibly coming in as DC. Frankly it sounds a bit like wishful thinking on the part of some Skins fans being broadcast around.
That info came from Adam Schefter who is close to Shanahan and he's been saying it'll be Zimmer for a while. That adds credibility to the speculation.

Bobby April would be a nice upgrade IMO. Our special teams could use some fresh faces on punt returns. I love Rock but it might be time for some new blood on kick off returns as well. We finished 24th in the league this season.

I'm hearing Alex Gibbs could be coming to DC as well. Bobby April would be a nice upgrade over Danny Smith (he can't be fired soon enough, even though he's provided a lot of great quotes over the years).

As much as many of us love Danny Smith, mostly for his enthusiasm and quotes, the results just haven't been there. Not sure if he was responsible for ARE returning punts or not but if he was, he deserves to be replaced.

Well, this is confirmed now

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/06/redskins-introduce-shanahan-as-executive-vpcoach/

Shanahan confirmed that he has hired his son, Kyle, away from the Houston Texans to be the Redskins’ offensive coordinator. The Redskins also are prepared to interview Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer for the same position should his team lose at home to the Jets in an AFC wild-card playoff game Saturday, a league source told La Canfora.

Should Shanahan not hire Zimmer, former Saints coach Jim Haslett is another possibility, league sources indicated to La Canfora. Haslett recently coached in the UFL, and there are rumblings in coaching circles that Shanahan isn’t averse to going with a 3-4 defense in Washington.

A quick update that may affect conjecturing on the possibility of Bobby April coming in as the special teams guy-he may very quickly become a hot property. A few days ago the 49ers let their special teams coordinator, Al Everest go-now the Steelers have fired Bob Ligashesky, their special teams coordinator.

Bobby's status as a "free agent" special teams coach may not last much longer-especially given his reputation as being pretty good at the job.

If Shanny wants Bobby April, nobody will outspend thedanny to get him. This much we know for sure.

If Shanny wants Bobby April, nobody will outspend thedanny to get him. This much we know for sure.

That's for damned sure, Lanky! It's interesting that an actual upside exists to being owned by Snyder-we can afford to buy whoever we want.
rich-smile.gif

That $300M in revenue really comes in handy doesn't it?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty hyped about this guy coming on board

Alex Gibbs isn't coming to the Skins, he's Pete Carroll's first hire in Seattle.

This is shocking to me, considering he worked with Kyle and Mike Shanahan for extended periods in the past. I'm flabbergasted he wasn't lured to the Skins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.