• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Week Fifteen Grades, Evaluations, Questions

I don't know, there may have been a time that 11 wins were cause for a single wild card team but now for the most part, it's 9-10 wins vying for the second wild card spots.

Yeah, there have been some low end division champions but the eventual 'contenders' still seem to pull away in the playoffs.

It was fun for those fans of yesteryear's dynasties but it stunk for the bulk of fandom.

Many have said it's a 'week to week' NFL, teams expected to excel can flounder with no seemingly sense to it all. That's the 'new NFL' and it keeps the interest high amongst fan bases when their teams still have something to play for.

Even our now 'lowly' Redskins still have chance....... pull off another Packers type game in Bear's land and we'll be right back at it with visions of sugar plums dancing away.... which is still a lot more fun than picking lint from the navel and waiting for the draft.

Here is an odd thing you have 13 teams guaranteed a winning record no matter what happens Sunday you have another 4 with a win would be guarenteed a winning record. You have another 4 if they won would be .500 a possibility of 17 teams with winning records and another 4 if things go right with a chance to finish even. I would venture most years it's 16 to 17 teams max even or better. Certain years 11 wins won't produce a playoff spot

Running Game...

I'll keep this short! LOL

I think this starts at the O-Line. We pass protect much better than we run block. I'm not sure why, I'm no expert on that, but I do wonder if it has to do with Long and Lauvao. Long has done ok in the Centre spot, but I think we all know Lauvao isn't the answer there. I'd like to see a couple of GOOD players at these spots.

Also for all I do love FatRob... lets be honest... he's no stud at running back. So at best our running game is ordinary when it works. We're not a team that has the capability to be consistently breaking 30 or 40 yard runs. Not gonna happen.

Then there is the fact that we have one of the best receiving corps in the League, if not the best. Reed, Jackson, Garcon, Crowder, Davis. Not many teams can boast a corps with that kind of skill and especially to link that up with an O-line that is one of the best in the League at pass protection. It's the dangiing carrot of temptation...

So then we get Gruden and McVay and their Pass orientated nature.

They use the run as a novelty to throw variety in from time to time to stop being too predictable.

But the minute that it doesn't work they go back to what they know will work. Throw it.

Games go like this... Run for 3 yards (Ok then!)... run for 4 yards (now we're motoring)... pass for 7 yards (First down, here we go)... run for a 3 yard loss (Disaster, right pass again!)... pass for first down... pass... pass... pass... pass... pass (hold on we should put a little variety in to keep the defense honest!)... run for 2 yards (Nope, passing is much better!)... pass... pass... pass...

And that's the problem in a nutshell. The temptation with this offense is to pass because we're good at it (usually!). The Passing game is proven, the running game is not in their minds.

Seems obvious to me though that our best games have been the ones where we were the most balanced. Some of that is due to match ups where our O-line has been able to open up gaps. The Panthers stuffed our run blocking this week. No chance of balance, but tweak this line on it's week spots, give them another year with Callahan and see if we can draft a stud Running Back and maybe next year the running game will prove to be consistent and earn some trust from Gru and co.

I don't think they're stupid, they KNOW that they are unbalanced and that we should run more... But the temptation of that passing game is a strong one.

When Jay does get replaced it is going to be with a guy that uses Scotts players not like when in the past we go from this style to that style replacing 30 percent of the players every coaching chsnge then rinse and repeat 2-3 years later

BBQ for week sixteen is cancelled. I fell ill on Christmas Eve morning and spent a good part of the day in bed, thus missing the game.

Anyone is free to give their own evaluations and grades here. I would like to read them and see what you thought of the game.

I can post this week's Geo-TV Map, if you need a break from that as well.
I know where and how to pull it, for this date.

It all comes down to the divisions.

The AFC South has consistently been among the worst divisions in the NFL, with the Texans and Colts winning those titles basically on the strength of clobbering the Jaguars and Titans.

Meanwhile, in the AFC North in the past 5-6 years you have had the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals all competitive and fighting each other for playoff position.

Most years any one of them is 10-11 win capable.

The Patriots, meanwhile, remind me of the 49ers during the 1980's and 1990's.

They are unquestionably one of the best teams on a consistent basis, but their division generally leaves a lot to be desired in terms of real competition.

This year the Dolphins made a late push for a wildcard, but New England very rarely has any competition for the division title.

In fact the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since 1995.

Miami is now set to make it for the first time since what, 2007? 10 years.

Bills 99 Wade Phillips was the head coach

Greetings and Happy New Year to faithful readers of BBQ. Since we didn’t have a Week Sixteen analysis, I thought a few observations could suffice. We’ll return next week for Week Seventeen analysis. Thanks for your understanding.

Strong rumors persist that Joe Barry is gone after the season. BBQ believes the only way he saves his job is to make it to the NFC championship game at the very least. Even then, the defensive performances must be respectable.

There will be no shortage of qualified candidates. BBQ thinks that Wade Phillips would be a good target this time as his son is still on the staff.

I think it would be wise to give Jordan Reed another week of rest.

I don’t think a second tag will get used on Kirk Cousins. A contract should be done before free agency begins.

With Su’a Cravens now penciled in as the starter at strike safety for 2017 and beyond, a first round choice will likely be focused on middle linebacker and free safety – in that order and depending on who is available at that pick.

Thinking that two truly good defensive linemen will be added in free agency and two more in the draft – possibly both picks in the fourth round.

If Scot is able to trade down far enough in round one, then look for another second rounder that could be used on a running back. Nick Chubb of Georgia could be a target.

Thinking that a third rounder might be used on a wide receiver that comes from a G5 program. This brings us to the Pierre Garcon-DeSean Jackson debate.

Pretty sure that an effort to keep Garcon happens and Jackson will be allowed to walk. Let another team pay him for his services and what he did these last three years.

There is no way Silas Redd returns. Starting to think the same thing about Matt Jones.

If the Redskins somehow lose on Sunday, BBQ believes that Jay Gruden is still safe.

Bashaud Breeland has found his calling at nickel it seems. The hope is for Kendall Fuller being able to step into the role opposite Josh Norman in 2017.

Vernon Davis likely returns. Don’t be surprised if the Redskins take a tight end in the fifth round. One more concussion could end the career of Jordan Reed.

Would it be surprising to see a guard taken in round six and another in round seven? BBQ thinks it is possible.

I don’t think an effort to re-sign Junior Galette happens. It’s a tough situation, but that is the business side of the NFL.

I think they put an offer for gallette up and see if someone beats it. We resign baker. I think we take this ILB out of WKU I believe if he is available good against the pass, good against the run and can move A QB out of the pocket. Forget his name. I don't think Scott will break the bank in FA like the Giants did last year but continue to try to find value while getting value out of the draft

So, if we're going MLB in the draft, is that to replace Compton or Foster ?
I was under the impression that they still had hopes for Spaight to step into a starting role.
Or does Spaight take one spot, and the draftee takes the other ?

Wade Phillips was my favorite a few years back when we made the switch to the 3-4 and I think he could go a long way to improving our defense even at 70 years old. Call him a retread if you want as a coordinator he's been rock solid.

I think we could use 5-6 starters on defense. Seriously.

We need at least one ILB. I'd love to get Ruben Foster (Ala) but he'll probably be gone by the time we pick. Zach Cunningham (Vandy) may be available in the 1st though and he's a stud against the run. I like T.J. Watt (Wis) but he'll likely project as a OLB in the 3-4. We all know his brother and this guy lives and breathes football. Not sure if he's a 1st or 2nd round guy if he comes out. I like Micah Kiser (VA) too if he comes out but I have no idea what round he'd slot into.

We need defensive line help too. We've been asking for a true NT for years and haven't found one. Baker should be re-signed but past that...there isn't much to crow about. I can't speak to many of the options we may be able to draft but i'd like to see the DL given a little more priority than it's been given in recent years.

We're also going to have to address safety.

On offense I could see us bringing Davis back although he's not been as good as I thought he would be in relief however. How about Bucky Hodges (VT) or Jordan Leggett (Clem)? Yes, I know we'd need to spend a higher draft pick that a 4th on one of these guys but man, it sure would make me feel better about the offense. Reed is a game changer when he plays BUT he's never played a full season. Pair him with another young talented guy and I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

Last edited:
There are two things I have to see before I believe, namely that the Washington Redskins are going to draft a safety or defensive lineman that comes in as a blue chip prospect.

This team's decision-makers keep talking about how hard capable safeties are to find, but when they are available in the draft we don't select them, nor do we consider moving up a few spots to do so either.

Instead of moving up to select Landon Collins in the second round in 2015 (when he unexpectedly fell out of Round 1), we sat there and allowed the Giants to move up instead.

Meanwhile, we take a tweener in Round 2 in 2016 in Su'a Cravens who we HOPE to find a home at one of the safety spots after spending his first season playing linebacker.......................

To me it would seem easier and a quicker payoff to take a player that is a natural safety who has played that position in college and can come in and adjust the pro game with a less steep learning curve. Collins is a pro bowler in his second season.

Cravens may turn out to be a play-maker at safety. But he will already be going into Year 2 of his career when he finally gets an education as a defensive back in the NFL.

One can expect some ups and downs in 2017.

So, the goal is to have an impact player in position in 2018? :)

That's a long time to wait to solidify the position, counting in the equation the absolute abomination the safety position has been here in 2016.

And Cravens was unable to help us there at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.