• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Panthers: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On the injury update:
“Injuries: [Houston] Bates is going to have an MRI on his knee tomorrow. [Quinton] Dunbar has a concussion. [Ryan] Kerrigan has an elbow sprain.”

On why they couldn’t get going early:
“I don’t know. I thought our defense came out and played pretty well. We had some key stops there offensively. When you go two-for-12 on third down, it’s hard to pin it on one area. I don’t know what it is yet. I’ll have to check it out. It wasn’t good enough offensively. The plan obviously wasn’t good enough. The execution wasn’t good enough. Hats off to Carolina, they did a great job defensively.”

On what was “off” with QB Kirk Cousins tonight:
“I don’t know. I thought he had good time to throw it for the most part. Mixed up their coverage pretty well. I think he was having trouble seeing some of the coverage, and when he did see him I don’t know if he just didn’t have clear throws at them. I don’t know, we’ll wait and see. So I don’t know.”

On uncharacteristic drops with wide receivers and his reaction to TE Jordan Reed’s ejection:
“We had some uncharacteristic drops and some misses on some third down and two to three. Some very makeable third down and twos. We missed a guy in the flat, we overthrow a guy, and then we drop a ball on the sideline. Then Jordan, I didn’t even see what happened so I can’t address it.”

On the disappointment of losing:
“Yeah, we’re disappointed, there’s no question. But first off, we were out-coached today. There’s no question about that. And I think they played better than us today. So we have to give credit to the Carolina Panthers. It’s my responsibility to get these guys ready to play. We weren’t as ready as I would have liked to have been. We didn’t execute like I would like to have seen. That falls on my shoulders. But we still have two games left to look forward to and hopefully get a victory in Chicago Saturday.”

On if there was any thought to taking Reed out because of pain:
“Well, we had him taken out, he got ejected. But it’s tough because we’re out there and we’re trying to pick up the pace and go with no-huddle and we call a running play and it didn’t work out too good. So we’re going to have to take a look at his shoulder and see where he’s at tomorrow.”

On the offense having difficulty going downfield:
“We tried to take a couple of shots. Their safeties were playing pretty high on occasion and we didn’t have down-the-field shots. They were too deep; we couldn’t get them out there. Something to look at.”

On if he was surprised at their struggles in the run game:
“I was, yes. I was. We mistargeted a couple runs for whatever reason. So not a lot of good looks for Rob [Kelley] unfortunately. Chris [Thompson] had I think a couple of carries, got a couple of decent looks. Rob had nothing. So we got to look at our running game and try to figure out ways to get him more involved. That’s part of the issue. We had second-and-10 or 11 probably five, six, or seven times at least. Try to get half of it back, we got half of it back and we’re stuck at third and four, which we’re usually pretty good at throughout the year but we weren’t good today.”

On getting the team focused on one game at a time and not the playoffs:
“Well, we’re not in the playoffs. So it’s up to one game at a time. We have to just focus on Chicago. I think a lot of times as men and as coaches we try to… the best way to put behind you something like this, a performance like this, coaching performance, playing performance, is playing again quickly. To get back out on the field and hopefully that will be a remedy for us come Saturday.”

On what Cousins saw with Carolina’s defense:
"I think a little bit of both. I think they did a great job with their coverage disguise and intensity. When they played man they covered us, when they played zone they had great concepts against our concepts. I have to look at the film to see if he had anything. We look at these little pictures on the sideline. They don't tell you the whole truth, so we will look at the tape."
On offensive struggles:
"It did, it did. It felt that way on the sideline too. We tried a couple different things, tried to start a couple drives, some play actions. We tried to come out in the second half with some play action, sack, fumble. We just never got any kind of rhythm whatsoever throughout the whole game. Part of it was that the running game was atrocious, part of it was we had no deep passing game. The other part was Carolina was very good today."

On the breakdown of Ted Ginn Jr.’s touchdown:
"I believe he should have been doubled but we blew [coverage]."

On if the team will underestimate the Bears:
"I don't think we would underestimate anything in the National Football League, so no."

On the quick turnaround:
"We have to find out where we are health-wise, give them off tomorrow, come in Wednesday, probably handle small walkthroughs Thursday and try to get a little practice in Friday."

On what caused the struggles in the run game:
"I don’t know I have to look. I think a couple of times early we mistargeted like I said. The safety came in unblocked and we should have blocked him. Some of it was mental by us and some of it was physical by them so it’s a combination. In the running game, it’s hard to pinpoint one area. I think our linemen played hard. They did some good things today. But, if you don't have everyone in unison on running plays, it takes one guy to blow it up. Unfortunately, that happened quite a bit."

On the difficulty of shaking off this loss:
"Without a choice we have to shake it off. We have to move on and look forward to the game against Chicago. From the outside looking in, obviously the only chance we have to shake it off and go to Chicago and play our best game of the year. It’s the only chance we have."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'We had some key stops there offensively'. Yes, yes you did.

Yeah, last night was on the offense as much as the D. Don't get me wrong, the D got toasted throughout the game, but the O had bad drops, terrible playcalling and just generally looked lethargic.

In fact, the entire team looked like they didn't care, which is something I haven't been forced to say for a while.

I think Gruden is retained at the end of the year, but I won't shed any tears if he's gone. We're playing a down-on-its-luck team to get to the playoffs. At home. On Monday Night Football. And THAT was the best effort our coaches could get out of the team? Pathetic.

Anything short of a playoff win at this point and I think Barry is gone, good players on D or no. If we lose the next two games, which is a distinct possibility given that "performance" I saw last night, Gruden might be right behind him.

That was pathetic.

Norv Gruden, according to the sideline Bimbo, says coming out for the second half, that we're going to try and establish a running attack. Then promptly calls Goaldy's new favorite pass play, resulting in a fumble inside our own 5 yard line.

I agree with what Goaldy said in the other thread. Norv Gruden likely gets retained for one more year. But if they fired his ass I wouldn't shed a tear.

But hey! How 'bout all them flashy passing stats this year!

WooHooooo!

LOL I'm enjoying the passing stats. :D

Game basically has 5 phases. Can't fix all 5 at once so you start crossing them off the list.

Pass Attack
Run Attack
Run Defense
Pass Defense
Special Teams

You need to fix all these to be a good team. So far IMO:

Pass Attack - Fixed (I can forgive the odd flat game, on the whole we're a glorious passing offense!)
Run Attack - TBC... Needs a little TLC (This could be a decent phase of the game once Fat Rob settles is, once the O-Line solidifies and once we commit some coaching to it)
Run Defense - BADLY in need of repair. (The Red Sea is an unmitigated disaster!)
Pass Defense - Needs much attention (Josh Norman and if Bree can bounce back next year are the seeds of something)
Special Teams - Fixed (I know Dusty has slumped a little, but on the whole this unit has been excellent all year.)

Pass Attack - Fixed (I can forgive the odd flat game, on the whole we're a glorious passing offense!)
Run Attack - TBC... Needs a little TLC (This could be a decent phase of the game once Fat Rob settles is, once the O-Line solidifies and once we commit some coaching to it)
Run Defense - BADLY in need of repair. (The Red Sea is an unmitigated disaster!)
Pass Defense - Needs much attention (Josh Norman and if Bree can bounce back next year are the seeds of something)
Special Teams - Fixed (I know Dusty has slumped a little, but on the whole this unit has been excellent all year.)

I agree, although we are in the playoffs if we can impose our will in the redzone. The offense can rack up all the stats in the world, but they need to be more creative (or maybe "less creative" is more correct) in the redzone.

Ax, I like you Gruden nickname.

The biggest tell tale sign in Jay's comments are "I don't know". I lived my life trying to avoid saying two three word sentences......I don't know and I love you. The first will get you fired in your job if you say it, and the second leaves you heartbroken most of the time. Don't say it, and neither will happen.

That's enough for me. Fire them all and cut the rest. I don't care when the effort is not there. I hope Snyder is pissed off.

Is it just me or does this sentence not make sense?

“Well, we had him taken out, he got ejected"

Ax, I like you Gruden nickname.

The biggest tell tale sign in Jay's comments are "I don't know". I lived my life trying to avoid saying two three word sentences......I don't know and I love you. The first will get you fired in your job if you say it, and the second leaves you heartbroken most of the time. Don't say it, and neither will happen.

That's enough for me. Fire them all and cut the rest. I don't care when the effort is not there. I hope Snyder is pissed off.
I love you.

Why? I don't know. :cool3:

On getting the team focused on one game at a time and not the playoffs: “Well, we’re not in the playoffs.

...and pretty unlikely to get there at this point. They'll need some help, luck & wins.
Bears haven't been that bad against the pass, maybe the Skins can do better on the ground in Chicago.

On the breakdown of Ted Ginn Jr.’s touchdown: "I believe he should have been doubled but we blew [coverage]."

Hello, Whitner...Whitner? Anyone seen Whitner?

Is it just me or does this sentence not make sense?

“Well, we had him taken out, he got ejected"

My guess is that Gruden was really pissed about the ejection, that he chose to reply in a smart-ass fashion.
Didn't want to talk about it, so he's basically saying "He was ejected. That's being taken out, isn't it ?"
Ya gotta know he has a weird and sarcastic sense of humor, especially dealing with annoying press questions, or annoying circumstances like an ejection.
My 2 cents

Last edited:
As much as folks raised hell at Shanny for putting RG3 out there with a bad wheel, wheres the angst and anger for risking our best offensive weapon's career but trotting him out there with a separated shoulder and clearly in enough pain that he couldn't perform?

Just a dumb decision all the way around for Jay and his staff.

I agree, although we are in the playoffs if we can impose our will in the redzone. The offense can rack up all the stats in the world, but they need to be more creative (or maybe "less creative" is more correct) in the redzone.

BINGO on the less creative.

I feel like McVay sometimes outsmarts himself. I feel like instead of just being like "Hey what will work here?" he often goes "Here's a chance to try something new and different!!" in order to stand out.
Often though it stands out for the wrong reasons.

The immediate after the game 'talk shows' are probably best left off the list of 'let's parse every word and make something out of it'

When Gruden says he doesn't know what went wrong he probably doesn't. I'm sure he had a sense of things generally but specifics are hard to come by.

Based on comments by Cooley...... the only way to really see what went wrong is after the fact and studying the 'tape'.

I'm not giving anyone a pass for this game, things were, as most pointed out, 'lethargic and outclassed'. Coaching, execution and mindset were all in play.

The Monday Night blues continues........ dammit

As much as folks raised hell at Shanny for putting RG3 out there with a bad wheel, wheres the angst and anger for risking our best offensive weapon's career but trotting him out there with a separated shoulder and clearly in enough pain that he couldn't perform?

I thought he performed excellent.
Did you see the boxing moves he put on, that got him ejected ?
He was moving and slingin punches like Sugar Ray Leonard.

The Monday Night blues continues........ dammit

Then that's a good sign for our Saturday game, if Elton John's song is any indication...."Saturday Night's Allright for Fightin"

My guess is that Gruden was really pissed about the ejection, that he chose to reply in a smart-ass fashion.
Didn't want to talk about it, so he's basically saying "He was ejected. That's being taken out, isn't it ?"
Ya gotta know he has a weird and sarcastic sense of humor, especially dealing with annoying press questions, or annoying circumstances like an ejection.
My 2 cents

Yeah, probably makes more sense if you heard it.

It's funny because I thought the same thing when he was barely being touched and going down like a soccer player. All I could think about was why aren't the coaches taking him out. Why are they letting him play and hurt himself and the team. Then the ejection for punching a guy in the helmet. I guess we should count our blessings that he didn't break his hand on that play, at least they haven't told us he has.

I think he threw those punches because....

One, he got hit on the shoulder,it hurt like hell and the frustration boiled over and

Two, he knew he'd get tossed . Takes the Coach's decision out of it.

It's funny because I thought the same thing when he was barely being touched and going down like a soccer player. All I could think about was why aren't the coaches taking him out. Why are they letting him play and hurt himself and the team. Then the ejection for punching a guy in the helmet. I guess we should count our blessings that he didn't break his hand on that play, at least they haven't told us he has.

This goes with the philosophy of just looking ahead at just the next game and no further to the future. They've won without Reed in the line-up so why the big rush in pushing him back out there? Some players you have to protect from themselves, they'd say they are fine with a leg off.
Maybe their thought was using him as a decoy. Well, even a better reason to chance further injury - put him on the field with no intention of him making plays.

Playoffs, no playoffs whatever. If they make it that far they need him healthy then. If they don't make it that far no point in him sustaining further injury. I think the Giants game is the one you really want him in, no matter how these last few have gone and the rest will go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.