• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 12/5/16: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
December 5, 2016

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injury updates for C Spencer Long and S Will Blackmon:
“Yeah, they’re both in concussion protocol. Spencer Long is and so is Will Blackmon.”

On if DE Ricky Jean Francois’ was injured:
“No, he’s OK. We’ll check him out, but he’s OK. It’s just maintenance.”

On the way he expressed himself after the game and his message to the team:
“I wouldn’t call it anger. I would call it just urgency more so than anger. I think… just try to get them going a little bit more. But I don’t think I was that much different after a loss. I didn’t know you guys were right in the next room over. I don’t think… It just happened after the game. I just want to make sure that we clean up some things and fix up some things and we’re not out of the woods yet. We still have a long way to go but we have to take it one game at a time and take these next days of preparation for the Philadelphia Eagles very, very serious.”

On if the team will need to acquire another center if Long is unavailable:
“I think right now if Spencer can’t go then we’d probably have to make a roster adjustment and we’ll have to see where Kory [Lichtensteiger] is. We’ll have to see. Ronald Patrick’s on our practice squad, that’s an opportunity. [Shawn] Lauvao is our backup center if he can’t go right now, so I’d like to keep him at guard. He hasn’t done a lot of center work, so we’d have to get somebody in here, somebody up.”

On how the offensive line responded to the Cardinals’ blitzes:
“I thought they did a pretty good job. There were a couple times where we got beat man-to-man. Calais Campbell is a very good pass rusher internally. He made a couple good rushes. But for the most part, our offensive line held up and did a decent job. There were a couple times when they got free with some unblocked guys. I thought our backs did a good job against their blitzing linebackers/safeties. But a couple times there at the end, they had one more than we could block and we tried to throw it off-drift and didn’t get them completed. But overall I think our line did pretty good.”

On if he has spoken to T Trent Williams about his return this week:
“I haven’t talked to him yet today, no. We’ll see him tomorrow. They players are off today, so we’ll see him tomorrow. But the plan moving ahead with him is he’s our starting tackle and he’s the best in the business, so we’re excited to get him back.”

On the cause of the third-and-long struggles on defense:
“There’s a couple things, and you can’t point to one guy or one part of the defense. I think it’s a combination of things we’ve said all along – the pass rush has to marry with the pass coverage. Sometimes it’s a coverage, sometimes it’s a rush. We just have got to keep doing a good job with our rush – being consistent with it and trying to get pressure on the quarterback and make him throw it when he’s not ready – and then our coverage has to be tighter from time-to-time, quite frankly. Any time you’re giving up third-and-long, it’s an ample opportunity to get off the field and get the ball back for your offense. We have to really, really focus on that and make sure we do a good job of that here coming up in the future because we’re going to need to.”

On if he would like to get RB Robert Kelley more carries:
“I think there’s no doubt about it, we would like to get more of him involved. We had a couple times where we actually had runs called and we got out of them because their safety was down and they were unblockable as far as the run was concerned. We ideally would like to get that running game going a little bit more – more touches for Robert because he’s been very good as far as running the football. We have got to make sure that we get him more involved, maintain the time of possession and stay more balanced.”

On the status of TE Jordan Reed:
“Yeah, Jordan will be day-to-day. You know, we just have to wait and see. Everybody is different with these types of injuries and hopefully he is a fast healer but we’ll take him day-to-day, get him his treatment and go from there. But I can’t predict it and we’re just going to see him on Tuesday, get him some more treatment and then we’ll see where he’s at on Wednesday as far as practice is concerned.”

On potentially getting RBs Mack Brown and Matt Jones more carries:
“I think if the carries are around…You know, if we get the carries up where we want to, then I think there’s an opportunity for Mack Brown to maybe get some touches or Matt [Jones], whoever it might be. But if we’re talking about 14 carries a game like he’s had the last two weeks, there’s no reason to sub him out because he’s not tired. If we feel like he’s getting a little worn down or something like that, then there’s a chance to sub him out and make sure he’s fresh, but I think for the most part, we’ll stick with him. And, you know, on a game-to-game basis, if we’re getting a lot of carries, if we’re moving the ball with the running game, then there’s a chance those other guys could get some touches.”

On the play of QB Kirk Cousins:
“You know, Kirk did some good things in the game without a doubt and there are some other throws that we didn’t attempt that I wish I think in hindsight I wish he would have attempted. I’m sure we do too. But he’s got the ball in his hands, he’s got to make those split-second decisions, which are easier said than done sometimes. But overall, I think he played pretty good. It was a good pass rush that they had. He handled the pressure fairly well. We’ll just take a look at the film and see if we can push the envelope a little bit more from time to time, but I thought he was efficient and made some good throws.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After seeing the way some of Kirk's passes went awry, the blitz was getting through pretty good. The line isn't in the best of shape at the moment but if they can patch it up until Chicago the next two teams aren't as tough in the rush department. Is there anyone on the oLine that hasn't missed at least a little time or been shifted around? Lauvao, maybe Moses but he's definitely taken a ding or three. Cousins really hasn't been chased around the pocket much so far this year till last week, either. Possibly adding an extra run play here and there...

The line is in pretty bad shape at the moment to be fair.

No Trent and both Scherff and Moses banged up with bad ankles.
And then of course we lost Long, who may not be the be all and end all of Centres, but it was still a change that set us back to Sullivan.
So basically the line had two backup players and two nursing nagging injuries.

This is the first time I've really seen Cousins get consistent pressure on him all season, those Safety blitz's late were horrible.

He had throw under pressure, and to be fair I thought he did really well, especially in the second half. Yes there was that interception on the last drive, but I remember a time not too long ago when a pressured Kirk was a Kirk who threw multiple picks a game and looked panicked. He's a much calmer presence now and he'll only get better at it with time.

I hope Long plays this week, and we get Trent back. I'm wondering if we can spell Neskhe in to give Moses or Scherff some rest for those ankles, but not sure if that's possible. At least if Long and Trent play, the line should get back to a semblance of normal again. And if that's the case I think you'll see Kirk less harried and an improvement in the run game too.

I'm tentatively hoping we kick the Eagles asses this week.

Unfortunately

Ty, Scherff and Moses were all on bad ankles vs Arizona. Ty and Scherff since Dallas and Moses since the seas parted. Ty was reported as wearing a walking boot post game in Arizona.

So Trent is probably the least ailing lineman after his vacation, much to Ty's relief he'll get the chance to reenergize.

Scherff and Moses still need to suck it up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.