• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Recon - The Cardinals: Flying Low

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
The Cardinals are in a downward spiral and like all teams their fans are upset, angry, and despairing.

"Fire Arians!" threads are showing up, laments over reported lockerroom dissension are in the news...you know, the normal stuff.

Not a ton of talk about the Redskins game but some-including things I haven't seen before.

I came across one of the weirdest game threads yet titled-"MadJack's Banner Suggestions - Redskins Game!"

Madjack

Okay, we suck. But the banner must go on as it did during all of those dog years at SDS. As always, trying real hard to be positive and motivational but it is obviously challenging. Anyway, here's a few suggestions to start the thread:

"WE SHOWED UP
-AND YOU WILL TOO!"

"PLAY FOR PRIDE"

"SKINLESS"

Thanks,
MadJack.

BigRedRage

"special" teams

unseenaz

'Tis the season

Some submitted multiple choice efforts.

LoyaltyisaCurse

"Make Arizona
Great Again!"

"Save the Season."

"Distance Cousins."

"Heart Time."

"Thin Skinned."

"Throw it to Fitz."

"The Legend: 11
"The Future: 31"

"All class"

"DJ's House Party"

masterphomeg

"Get Your Paper Bags
At The South Endzone"

Some of the fans remember when the Cardinals were in the NFCE. Not too fondly, actually.

NeverSayDieFan

Many "wounds" from my old N.F.C. East days...dished out by the Redskins and their fans. I want this one bad...

Mark :)

cardsfanmd

I hate the redskins almost as much as I love the cardinals. I had tickets to this game. Very very glad that I'm not going to watch us lose live now.

jetstream Green

As a long time Cardinal fan, I really hate the Redskins and all the other NFC East buddies and truthfully I miss them sorry bastachades too

JeffGollin

I never forgave Wash for stealing Ken Harvey.

masterphomeg

Oh, to have Boomer Esiason back under center.

As usual there were score predictions-these have become a meme in NFL fanland apparently now.

2008NFChamps

Hey guys if BA thinks the Cardinals could do it so do I win 5 in a row I'm not giving up on the Cardinals until I'll see Arizona Cardinals eliminated from playoff contention. With 3 Games back in the west hey you never know My score what's yours. Redskins 17 Cardinals 27 (5-6-1)

McVCollum, Travis

23-17 Redskins.

JagNCARD225

Skins 34 Cards 17

Birdgang95

27-20 Redskins. Just end the season already and get to the draft/offseason.

RimrockCard

24/21 cards..................sorry can`t help myself

PUTMEIN

I've been consistently off the Cards and opponents' final scores by double digit points since game 3. When I guess high, the teams score low, and visa versa. This week, I'm going lower than Denny Green low. The Cards definitely know who they are by now.

Cards 10, Redskins 13. Sad.

Bill11

We should win but don't just like all year.

Reign Blood

Cards 31
Skins 17

We throttle them this week I just got this feeling.

PJ1

Hope so but I see Cousins picking us apart. He will throw for 350+.

Skins 38
Cards 17

cardsfanmd

They're going to beat us like everyone else does.

Reign Blood

The Skins are overachieving as we're underachieving. It all evens out and we throttle. Jobs are on the line right now and it will light some fires on some asses.

Such fond memories Cardinals fans have of their time in the NFCE shouldn't be spoiled-go get 'em Skins!​

More...

Reign Blood We throttle them this week I just got this feeling.
Cards 31
Skins 17
Zounds like somebody's been in the desert picking flowers off of cactus if they think Az will put up 30+ points...

I do think Washington will win however I also think this is toughest match up they have left on the schedule. Az's defense is better than Washington will see the rest of the year and their passing game not quite as bad as one might think (9th) but they just don't know where the end zone is. Still should be rather close with the Cards having 3 of their 4 wins at home (Skins 2-2-1 on the road).

They've already beaten Philly & NY. Doesn't mean they will again but they obviously can. eGals secondary is toast and the Gnats are towards the bottom in giving up passing yardage.
Then there's Carolina & Chicago. Combined 6-16.

We should win this game. With ten days to prepare and rest, being on the road shouldn't matter.

Three of the Cards four wins have been against the 49ers, the 49ers and the Jets. I think their defensive ranking may be a little over-inflated. Their division has no offense this year. They've played only two teams with a top ten offense all season long, the Atlanta Falcons, who just put 38 on them, and the New England Patriots, who scored 23 without Tom Brady.

The Redskins, on the other hand, have played against three top ten defenses this year, all wins.

We should win this game. Doesn't mean we will, but we should.

The one thing that scares me about Cardinals is that running back of theirs. We have trouble against teams that actually run the ball. If we can't stop that guy it could be a long day. If we can keep him in check, it's down to Fitzgerald vs. Norman, and I think our offense can keep up with that. We'll see.

In the predictions vein:

Even more surprising than Cousins’s Broadway affinity has been his emergence as a legitimately good quarterback. In his last five games, Cousins has shed the one-year-wonder label, hitting the 300-yard mark four times and the 400-yard mark twice. He’s emerging as an extreme dark horse MVP candidate and could soon become one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league: As former Browns and Eagles executive Joe Banner points out, he could command around $25 million per year, and if he’s franchised again, he’ll make more money than all but three quarterbacks next season.
Despite his run of success, Sunday will be a massive test, because the Cardinals allow the second-fewest passing yards per game in the league. But the Washington D has an edge here, too: It forced five total turnovers in the three games before facing the Cowboys, who never make mistakes. For a team trying to get back into the habit of creating turnovers, playing Arizona is a great place to start, and Washington will win this late by forcing Carson Palmer to make mistakes.
It won’t be as exciting as Jersey Boys, another Cousins favorite, but he’ll try to provide some entertainment.

https://theringer.com/nfl-picks-wee...rob-gronkowski-injury-1439ed3c5b55#.ktx0065uc

Cousins as a dark horse MVP? Pretty interesting...

This game comes down to one thing IMO, the ability to pressure the qb.

The Cardinals have the worst pass blocking OL in the NFC and Carson Palmer is a 36 year old stationary target in the pocket who shows clear signs of the yips when he gets pressure.

If Barry doesn't bring pressure early and often and instead chooses to sit back in coverage, he should be fired after the game.

And putting Josh Norman on Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinals one consistent receiving threat this year, is another no-brainer that a DC like Belichick would never miss.

Having Fuller continue to cover ALL slot receivers even if teams put their #1's like AJ Green or Dez Bryant in the slot is just suicide.

This defense needs to show FLEXIBILITY based on the talent we have.

That's what Petitbon did for Gibbs. That's what Allen did.

If Barry's system can't do that, then he needs to go back to being a linebackers' coach.

I totally agree with Bulldog! :)

I also think it comes down to stopping their run game. If David Johnson gashes our run defense... which lets face it is poor, it will take pressure of Palmer and allow him to throw on us. Especially if, as Bulldog says, we can't get any pressure.

I think this game is close, but we should take it.

I totally agree with Bulldog! :)

I also think it comes down to stopping their run game. If David Johnson gashes our run defense... which lets face it is poor, it will take pressure of Palmer and allow him to throw on us. Especially if, as Bulldog says, we can't get any pressure.

I think this game is close, but we should take it.

Yeah, David Johnson's last three games - 5 TDs (including 103 rushing/1 TD and 57 receiving/1 TD against Minn). SF arguably had the best game against him out of those 3 keeping him to 'only' 101 yards from scrimmage and two TD's with 2.9 ypc. Atlanta gave up 1 TD to him; 100+ yd's receiving with 58 yd's running. He can run for 100 yd's, receive for 100 and put points up.

Like you said, Skins not the best against the run. They seem to start OK but run out of gas fairly quickly especially against the better RB's. And they have real defensive issues with pass catching RB's. Their overall stats don't look too bad but they are pretty close to the bottom in giving up 1st downs, TDs, and YPC to opposing RBs.

Palmer doesn't seem to throw much anywhere else except to Fitz. Not as worried about him as WR; he's seeing fewer targets and hasn't had a TD since Week 6 but he is probably the best blocking WR in the league. Last four games Palmer has fallen apart: 16 sacks (of 32 this year); 4 of his 11 fumbles; 8 of his 15 TDs on the year along with 6 of his 8 Ints. He'll toss it up a lot, opportunities for sacks & int's, and has been under 61% on his completions in 4 of his last 5 games. They want to run a lot of plays (#1 in the NFL) but Palmer not that guy you want to air it out 50 times a game. If the Skins can take some time off the clock they can pretty well throttle the Cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.