• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Week Twelve Grades, Evaluations, Questions

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Greetings from the international headquarters of BBQ.

Week twelve is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Cowboys. Fans want to quickly put Dallas week behind them and look forward to the rest of the schedule, but BBQ will examine what happened on Thanksgiving. We will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Let

More...

Week Twelve Grades, Evaluations, Questions​

Greetings from the international headquarters of BBQ.

Week twelve is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Cowboys. Fans want to quickly put Dallas week behind them and look forward to the rest of the schedule, but BBQ will examine what happened on Thanksgiving. We will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Let’s take a look at week twelve.

Quarterbacks:
Question: Is it safe to say that anyone who doubts Kirk Cousins now is just ignoring the obvious?
Answer: Redskins fans have always embraced arguments and debates over quarterbacks since the final days of Sammy Baugh. BBQ thinks the Redskins should give Cousins a long term contract after the season is over. Our recommended terms would be a deal that includes a $65 mil signing bonus, $90 mil in guarantees, and averages to $23 mil a year. A six year deal is what we want to see with a seventh year team option.
Grade: A

Running Backs:
Question: This was kind of a letdown after the previous week, wasn’t it?
Answer: We can’t argue with the determination that Rob Kelley provides the team. He somehow turns three and four yard losses into two and three yard gains. Fans can’t expect 140 yards a game each week. Sure, it wasn’t as productive as the previous week, but it wasn’t a disaster.
Grade: B

Wide Receivers:
Question: Is Jamison Crowder the best slot receiver in the NFL?
Answer: By simply asking this question one can easily surmise that he is in the conversation and is amongst the best. This is only his second season. The next decade of watching him in a Redskins uniform will be fun to watch. The numbers for this unit are gaudy, but much of the credit also goes to the quarterback.
Grade: A+

Tight Ends:
Question: Just how serious is the injury to Jordan Reed?
Answer: He could miss a week or two, but having Vernon Davis on the roster helps to ease such an impact. Even Derek Carrier had a catch last week. However, you can’t doubt the heart of Reed as he produced heavily after the shoulder injury. That easily boosts the grade this week.
Grade: A+

Offensive Line:
Question: Can this unit continue to perform at a high level?
Answer: It can, but staying healthy is the key here. One must hope that the few extra days of rest will help Morgan Moses. Ty Nsehke needs to continue his efforts until Trent Williams returns. The rushing attack was stymied against Dallas and it will hopefully return as soon as this week.
Grade: B+

Defensive Line:
Question: What grade would give their effort against the Cowboys?
Answer: Pathetic. Horrible. Lousy. Despicable. Garbage. One good tackle by Chris Baker on their running back does not mask how terrible this unit was last week. We’ll just leave it there.
Grade: F

Linebackers:
Question: So, what grade would you give to this group?
Answer: Ryan Kerrigan had another sack and that’s about it. However, there are a multiplicity of concerns: Poor angles of attack. Poor play calling at the line of scrimmage by Will Compton. Failure to contain the running back and slot receiver. Failure to limit the quarterback when escaping the pocket. The Mikes all but disappearing. Mass confusion.
Grade: F

Cornerbacks:
Question: Despite the front seven, did it seem like this unit had a good game?
Answer: They certainly did and despite what Dez Bryant thinks, he did not score and very had little impact on the game. The stats prove it – the receivers for Dallas had a subpar game. The slot receiver position was problematic, but that falls more on the linebackers.

Safeties:
Question: Are you assigning a similar grade to the safeties?
Answer: Indeed. One could argue that they actually did a slightly better job, but they didn’t allow any long passes and did serve as a final line of defense against the rushing attack. Overall, a solid job under the circumstances.

Special Teams:
Question: Should we be concerned with Dustin Hopkins?
Answer: Not really. He should win more games in the future. BBQ does question the decision to try a 55 yarder in the second quarter. Attempting one from that range just before the half ends is understandable, but not with plenty of time on the clock and allowing excellent field position for the opponent. “Freezing” our own kicker in the first quarter proved to be very harmful – that was unforgivable. However, Hopkins needs to make a forty-three yarder. Tress Way had his only punt downed inside the twenty. The Redskins had no opportunities for returns and will not be figured into the grade for this week.
Grade: C+

Coaching:
Question: What can we say about the coaches this week?
Answer: No one questions the efforts of the offense overall. One can still question the play calling in the red zone, especially in the first half. “Freezing” our own kicker was ridiculous. The defensive front seven was particularly horrible - that’s where the team lost the game.
Grade: C-

How would you grade each position and the coaching staff? What becomes of Matt Jones? Are you missing Trent Williams? Are you now ready to admit that Kirk Cousins deserves long term contract and firm commitment from the Redskins? Will the season be all but over if the Redskins lose this Sunday? If the Redskins are still in the playoff picture, would you bring back Josh Doctson late in the season? On to week thirteen. We’ll see you next week with grades, evaluations, and questions.

Hail to the Redskins!

Last edited:
I would that there seems to be issues (still) with clock management and maybe time outs could be used a little more judiciously.

Bring Doctson back? I suppose you could go back and forth with that one. Is there anyone else on IR you might want back or someone that you may want on the roster for depth at another position? They seem to be pretty deep on the bench right now @ WR with reliable guys. Do you want to try to bring him up to speed in the playoffs? Overall, at this point I'd say not (maybe use that spot for an O-Lineman). Is it worth taking a chance on a re-injury to Josh at this time when the team has done quite well with the WRs without him - I wouldn't risk it. Skins have had recent experience with talented guys (eg, Hankerson) who couldn't stay healthy enough to realize those talents and stay on the field.

Joe Barry is showing with his stubbornness about having Kendall Fuller cover ALL slot receivers and failing to pressure quarterbacks in end of game situations that he is better suited to being a position coach, as he was in San Diego.

He's just not a guy that can effectively coordinate the play of three layers of a defense as a total concept.

That's what separates him from guys like Richie Petitbon and Gregg Williams that were here before him and were successful on that side of the ball.

Bill Belichick for years hasn't done anything sexy on defense, he preaches fundamentals and schemes to take away your most effective plays.

Yes, he has had some excellent players on defense over time, but precious few that one would consider to be Hall of Fame quality.

Like Petitbon, he has taken a couple of highly skilled performers and surrounded them with guys that are disciplined and don't miss assignments.

Or they end up getting traded like Jamie Collins :)

How many years did we put up with Perry Riley blowing coverage assignments before he was finally released?

Josh Norman should be on the opposition's #1 receiver, that's what he is being paid for and that's what he is capable of doing.

At this point of his career Kendall Fuller or Bashaud Breeland doesn't have the experience or the skill yet to take on that assignment consistently.

Couple of notes...

I generally agree wholeheartedly with all that has been said.

Only thing I'd say in defense of our Defense...

the Cowboys have a REALLY good big and physical O-line, and our guys were in the trenches fighting them on only 3 or 4 days rest. In hindsight it was probably the worst team to be playing coming off a really unfairly short week. It was always going to be a tough game for them going from Sunday night to Thursday afternoon, but playing the Cowboys line made it much worse. Bare facts were there was a very well regarded O-line coming off a week of rest against a middling D-line coming off a short week. We were never winning that fight.

they still played badly, but I think that the circumstances need to be taken into account.

Ditto with Dusty. I'm not worried about him because while he has missed a few FG's this season, a few of those were in my opinion ill advised choices. The long field goal into the wind in Baltimore and the 55yarder into the sun at Dallas. The fact he's missed a couple after being iced (once by the Bengals and once by his own team!) is more concerning. Even that I'm not too worried about as he's proven before that he can be clutch.

Finally... I'd leave Doctson till next year. I'd be tempted to reactivate him, but I don't think I'd really play him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.