• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Notes 11/24/16: Skins at Dallas

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS-COWBOYS GAME NOTES

· The Washington Redskins fell to the Dallas Cowboys, 31-26, in front of an announced crowd of 93,099 people at AT&T Stadium on Thursday.

· The game was the Redskins’ ninth Thanksgiving Day contest all-time, joining Thanksgiving Day games in 1968, 1973, 1974, 1978, 1990, 1996, 2002 and 2012.

· The Redskins gained 505 yards of offense. Including a 515-yard game last week, the Redskins have now recorded 500 yards of offense in consecutive games for the first time in team history.

· The Redskins set a team record by recording their third 500-yard game this season, passing the two 500-yard games recorded in each of the 1950, 1981, 1989 and 1999 seasons.

· The Redskins recorded their seventh 400-yard offensive output of the season, tying the 1983 and 1989 Redskins for the second-most in a season in team history. The Redskins are one 400-yard game shy of tying the team record of eight, set in 2013.

· The Redskins have now reached 400 yards in back-to-back games and in five of their last six games.

· The Redskins exceeded 300 yards of offense in a 15th consecutive regular season game, dating back to last season, for the first time since a team-record 17-game stretch across the 1987-88 seasons.

· Quarterback Kirk Cousins completed 41-of-53 passes for 449 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions. He finished the game with a passer rating of 120.7.

· Cousins’ performance made him only the fifth NFL quarterback to post 400-plus yards, at least three touchdowns and no interceptions in a game this season, joining Drew Brees (Sept. 11 vs. Oakland), Tom Brady (Oct. 9 vs. Cleveland), Derek Carr (Oct. 30 vs. Tampa Bay) and Ben Roethlisberger (Nov. 13 vs. Dallas).

· The 449 passing yards were the second-most in a game in Cousins’ career, trailing only a 458-yard overtime game against Cincinnati in Week 8.

· Cousins claimed sole possession of the most career 400-yard passing games in team history with his third career 400-yard effort, passing Sonny Jurgensen and Mark Rypien (two each).

· With his second 400-yard passing game of the season, Cousins became the first player in team history to record multiple 400-yard passing games in a single season.

· Cousins has now thrown three touchdown passes in consecutive games for the first time since a three-game stretch in Weeks 15-17 of the 2015 season.

· Cousins pushed his passing touchdowns total this season to 20. His 2015-16 seasons mark the fifth time in team history a quarterback has produced back-to-back 20-touchdown seasons (Joe Theismann in 1983-84, Sonny Jurgensen in 1966-67 and 1969-70, and Sammy Baugh in 1947-48).

· Cousins added to his team record with his 18th career 300-yard game (including 17 in regular season play).

· The game was Cousins’ sixth 300-yard performance of the season, the second-most in team history. He trails only his own team record of seven 300-yard games, set in the 2015 season.

· Cousins has now exceeded 350 passing yards in back-to-back games for the first time in his career. He is the first Redskins quarterback to accomplish the feat since Jay Schroeder in Weeks 8-9 of the 1986 season.

· Cousins’ 3,540 passing yards in 2016 now rank 10th-most in a single season in team history.

· Cousins has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 26 of 27 regular season games since assuming the starting role prior to the 2015 season, including each of the last 10 games dating back to Week 2.

· Cousins completed 18-of-26 passes for 216 yards in the first half, marking the sixth 200-yard first half of his career and his first since Week 16 of the 2015 season.

· Tight end Jordan Reed gained 95 yards on a team-high 10 receptions with two receiving touchdowns.

· Reed (2,546) passed Don Warren (2,536) for fourth-most career receiving yards by a tight end in team history.

· With two touchdowns Reed tied Clint Didier (19) for fourth-most by a tight end in Redskins history.

· Reed (241) surpassed Brian Mitchell (232) and Larry Brown (238) for 13th on the Redskins' all-time receptions list.

· Cousins recorded the 65th touchdown pass of his career on a five-yard pass to Reed in the fourth quarter.

· The touchdown reception was the fourth of the season for Reed and the 18th of his career.

· Earlier on the drive culminating in his touchdown, Reed caught a season-long 33-yard reception. It was the second-longest reception of his career and his longest since a 38-yard gain vs. Chicago on Oct. 20, 2013.

· Reed later added an eight-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

· The game was Reed’s sixth of his career with multiple receiving touchdowns, tying Santana Moss for sixth-most by a member of the Redskins since 1960.

· Reed became only the third member of the Redskins since 1991 to record two receiving touchdowns in the fourth quarter of a game, joining Santana Moss (Sept. 19, 2005 at Dallas) and Leonard Hankerson (Sept. 9, 2013 vs. Philadelphia).

· Cousins added the 66th touchdown pass of his career – his 19th of the season – on a 67-yard touchdown pass to DeSean Jackson in the fourth quarter.

· The receiving touchdown was Jackson’s third of the season and the 45th of his career.

· Jackson has now caught a touchdown pass in consecutive games for the first time since a three-game stretch in Weeks 11-13 of the 2015 season.

· The touchdown was Jackson’s 21st career total touchdown of 60 yards or more, tying Devin Hester for second-most total touchdowns of 60 yards or more in NFL history.

· The touchdown was the 25th total touchdown of Jackson’s career spanning 50 yards or more, bringing him one shy of Steve Smith, Sr. (26) for fourth in total touchdowns of 50 yards or more in the NFL since the 1970 merger.

· The 67-yard reception was a season long for Jackson and his longest since a 77-yard touchdown vs. Buffalo in Week 15 of the 2015 season.

· Jackson finished the game with a season-high 118 yards on four receptions, including the touchdown.

· The 100-yard receiving game was the 29th of Jackson’s career and his first since Week 1 vs. Pittsburgh. It was Jackson’s ninth career 100-yard game as a member of the Redskins, tying Garçon for 10th most in team history.

· The Redskins concluded the first half with an 11-play, 73-yard scoring drive culminating with a 20-yard field goal by kicker Dustin Hopkins. The Redskins started the drive with 1:45 remaining in the half, marking the first points the Redskins had scored this season on a drive beginning in the final two minutes of a half.

· Hopkins scored eight points in the contest to post the 26th 100-point season in team history. He is the first member of the Redskins to accomplish the feat in consecutive seasons since Graham Gano in 2010-11.

· Wide receiver Pierre Garçon extended his streak of consecutive regular season games played with a reception to 97, the sixth-longest active streak in the NFL (Larry Fitzgerald, 189; Brandon Marshall, 154; Steve Smith Sr., 137; Jason Witten, 129; Michael Crabtree, 104). Sixty-eight of the games in Garçon’s streak have come with Washington, the third-longest streak by a member of the Redskins since the 1970 merger.

· Wide receiver Jamison Crowder recorded a 38-yard reception in the first quarter. Including 44- and 53-yard receptions last week, Crowder has now recorded a reception of 35 or more yards in back-to-back games for the first time in his career.

· Tight end Derek Carrier recorded his first catch of the season on a four-yard gain in the third quarter. It was his first reception since Week 14 of the 2015 season at Chicago.

· Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan started his 91st consecutive game, tied for second-most among active NFL linebackers. Kerrigan has not missed a start in his NFL career.

· Kerrigan pushed his season sack total to 9.0 with a sack in the second quarter. He enters Sunday’s game one sack shy of the league lead (10.0, three players tied).

· Kerrigan’s sack gave the Redskins a sack in a 19th consecutive regular season game, dating back to last season. Entering the game, Washington's active streak ranked second in the NFC and fifth in the NFL.

· The Redskins have now posted zero turnovers in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 16-17 last season.

· The Redskins held the Cowboys without a sack, marking the Redskins’ third sack-free game of the season and the team’s first since Week 6 vs. Philadelphia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some pretty impressive stats overall and I believe Kirk has earned the long term contract no matter where the final record winds up at. Cousins has passed for 300+ yards 5 times this year. Skins record in those is 1-3-1. So I don't think you can lay those on him but as a team they need to do some things better. Those three teams they lost to are all first place teams. In two of the losses and tie they've run poorly and been horrendous in the Red Zone. In 2 losses and the tie Hopkins fired for 50% (don't fire him just a contributing factor). Gave up the clock and the D could have bailed them out at times but keeping them off the field helps.

Some of the things that they did do well Thanksgiving that they hadn't in those other games; owned the clock by 7 min's and ran 17 more offensive plays than Dallast. Dak held to under 200 yd's (first time this year for him) and Zeke under 100 (the second time Washington has done that). The turds average 29 points @ game so 31 isn't a complete failure on the defense. Had 150 more total yards than the cowBoys and they didn't kill themselves with penalties (3/30). 53% on third downs (Cowgirls 50%) and 2 for 2 on fourth. 25 first downs (d-lass 24). Cousins had a 77% completion rate, 450 yds and 3 TDs no Int's (Dak had 70%/195/1 TD/0 Int). Most of the time you walk away with a win with those kinds of advantages.

On the other hand; 2 of 5 in the Red Zone, 2 of 4 in goal to go (Dallas 4 of 4 Red Zone, 3 of 3 goal to go). 19 for 56 yards rushing (2.9 ypc team average) while the other guys went 30 for 163 (5.4 ypc). Cowboys average 157 yards on the ground per game (#2 in the league) so that shouldn't be a huge surprise but you can't falter in part of your game against good teams because they'll find a way to exploit it.

It's a better team than the one that started the season, it's a better team than the one that won the division last year and not every team out there can say that. The NFC East now is one of the two toughest divisions (I'd give the AFC West the nod with two teams tied at 7-3 and only good for 2nd place). Outside of the Steelers game can't say that they've been blown out. Other than Week 1 their loses have been by 3,4 & 5 points.

The Redskins had 8 400 yard games, a team record, in 2013 when they lost 13 games? I find that hard to believe but it's true. Whats really hard to believe though is that they still kept Haslett after firing Shanahan when that season was over, unbelievable.

The problem with those BIG yardage games from Kirk... they're losses because we can't run the ball in those scenarios and he's being forced to throw alot to play catch up.

We're a MUCH better team when we're balanced.

I said it alot yesterday... We're a work in progress.

I want to see where we are a year from now when we shore up the O-line, give it another 16 games to gel, give Fat Rob a season under his belt (kid is a rookie!) and get our Defense on the way to being good (which I think takes a couple of years).

Dallas were a look at what we want to be. They put their O-line together a year or so before we fixed ours, so they're ahead in that game. I think our O-line (even without Trent and with a hobbled Moses) looks pretty darned good, and this is just the start.

I'm REALLY excited about this team though. I know in my head we're not quite there yet... but my heart loves the way we play. We're always in the game, we never give up. I'll be disappointed next year if we don't take a step forward.

Totally agree with you Knight. Of course I'm disappointed with a loss. But I like the direction we are going. We are better than last year, we have a quarterback (pay the man guys) so we need to concentrate on the two lines and our defense now. Who knows, a couple seasons from now, we may be the team people are talking about like they are talking about Dallas now. If they keep taking steps forward, this team is going to go places together.

Outside of the Steelers game can't say that they've been blown out. Other than Week 1 their loses have been by 3,4 & 5 points.

Yeah and that Steelers game was an outlier.

I still maintain that if we'd actually played Kirk and co in the pre-season and given them some REAL warm up reps, that game could have been alot closer. Instead we spent the first couple of games just playing into form.

I hated that at the time and still do. I really think we could have beaten Dallas the first time around if we weren't shaking off rust. That game could have changed alot for both teams.

Totally agree with you Knight. Of course I'm disappointed with a loss. But I like the direction we are going. We are better than last year, we have a quarterback (pay the man guys) so we need to concentrate on the two lines and our defense now. Who knows, a couple seasons from now, we may be the team people are talking about like they are talking about Dallas now. If they keep taking steps forward, this team is going to go places together.

Thanks Doc.

The thing with Dallas is that they were built to succeed this year.

They were built with an eye around Romo and his fragility. He's a pretty good QB, but he's brittle. So what do you do? You build a big strong O-line to protect him and get some running to take the pressure off.

When he went down they had to throw in Dak. Dak's doing great, but he's sitting behind that beast of an O-line and he has Zeke taking the load off him. They really lucked into the perfect storm.

For years we've been saying we needed to address the O-line FIRST and from there all good things will come. Now we're seeing it in action.

My brother and I were talking last night about Andrew Luck. We were bemoaning that a once in a generationi talent like him could be wasting the best years of his career behind that mess of an O-line the Colts have, and with that awful team. How many teams have we seen do that to a good/great QB? I still wonder what RGIII could have done if we'd given him decent protection instead of having him run for his life, get injured and then regress. We'll never really know if he could have been a Franchise QB because we broke him.

This is the first time in decades that the Redskins are doing things right.

Build an O-line. Protect the QB and let him grow. Stack the offense with weapons and let them start to gel, work on their timing, get into that rythmn that long term consistent teams have like the Patriots. Then while they're practicing their art start stacking up the Defense. Simmer for 3 or 4 years (during this period the growing Offense will keep you relevant) and then make a run at the Superbowl.

This is our gameplan. I like it. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.