• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: 'Skins making Shanahan contingency plans

BGO

Though the Redskins have focused on Mike Shanahan like Albert Haynesworth focuses on his mid-afternoon pork chops, the team realizes that Shanahan hasn't committed to anything yet -- and thus that he could go elsewhere, if the money is right...

More...

No one - and I mean no one - is going to outbid Dan Snyder for his man if he's truly set on a coach. The notion that someone could or would is absurd. It's possible that the concreteness of the 'deal' assumed to be more or less in place can be questioned, so if Shanahan hasn't signed anything, and decides the future grass is greener elsewhere, it's not a done deal until it's a done deal. But it won't be because he can make more elsewhere :)

That being said, I firmly believe Shanahan to DC has been a done deal for awhile now.

Aaaaany minute now. :)

I do feel badly for Jim Zorn, but I'll confess, I'm also a little excited to bring in the 'new guy', turn the corner on what's been a mostly dismal couple of years, and start taking the first steps to 'something better'.

Let's go!

I do feel badly for Jim Zorn, but I'll confess, I'm also a little excited to bring in the 'new guy', turn the corner on what's been a mostly dismal couple of years, and start taking the first steps to 'something better'.

Let's go!

While Zorn may be a "good guy", I don't feel badly for him because he brought most of it on himself. Hitching his horse to Jason Campbell was a failed venture from the get-go. Most of us here felt it was an extremely risky move. His playcalling and failure to try to bring along the young guys helped seal his fate. Of course, Vinny made it even more difficult for him but this team could never overcome itself and a lot of that was Zorn's fault.

OK, that was my FINAL rant on Zorn. Here's a toast to "something better". :cheers:

Come on Jimbo - you telling me you apply for a VP position at some Fortune 500 company, and they offer to make you CEO - you say no? And exactly how did he 'hitch his horse to Jason Campbell'? He inherited Jason Campbell, along with an ancient Todd Collins and an injured youngster in Brennan. What were his options? I'd have gone with Todd Colins this year, from day 1. We'd likely still have ended up here, but I guarantee you we'd have won more than 4 games. I'm not sure anything Jim Zorn did amounts to 'bringing it on himself'. He was just woefully unprepared for this gig, plain and simple. If it makes us feel better to resent the guy, that's cool. But ultimately, as I've said over and over again, what the hell were Snyder and company thinking handing over the keys to the car from a HOFer to a teenager who just got his license?

You're right - someone 'brought this on himself', but it wasn't Jim Zorn. Of all involved, he's probably the only guy in the Redskins leadership structure who's carried himself with any honor. He deserves a little respect for that.

i feel for ya jim zorn cause you have hung in there inspite of all of the troubles within.

here,s to something better:claps:

Come on Jimbo - you telling me you apply for a VP position at some Fortune 500 company, and they offer to make you CEO - you say no? And exactly how did he 'hitch his horse to Jason Campbell'? He inherited Jason Campbell, along with an ancient Todd Collins and an injured youngster in Brennan. What were his options? I'd have gone with Todd Colins this year, from day 1. We'd likely still have ended up here, but I guarantee you we'd have won more than 4 games. I'm not sure anything Jim Zorn did amounts to 'bringing it on himself'. He was just woefully unprepared for this gig, plain and simple. If it makes us feel better to resent the guy, that's cool. But ultimately, as I've said over and over again, what the hell were Snyder and company thinking handing over the keys to the car from a HOFer to a teenager who just got his license?

You're right - someone 'brought this on himself', but it wasn't Jim Zorn. Of all involved, he's probably the only guy in the Redskins leadership structure who's carried himself with any honor. He deserves a little respect for that.

Of course he deserves a little respect for taking the high road with what he's been through but he is the one mainly responsible for allowing this team to underachieve. "Keeping it medium" doesn't work. He's a terrible head coach and deserves to be fired and I don't feel sorry for him because he's getting fired. He tried. He failed....miserably, but he STILL gets to collect his millions.

I don't think he got that raw a deal. He had the chance to rant and rave and kick his players butts when they needed it but, instead, "kept it medium". He coddled the players and didn't really make any demands of them beyond showing up. Those results showed. His playcalling and game management were horrible to the point where Sherman Lewis was able to come in off the street and do a better job.

Danny and Vinny desparately tried to replace Campbell last offseason so Zorn seemingly defied them by sticking with Campbell the entire year. When Jason was awful early on, but continued to start, many of us wondered if Zorn had lost his marbles. To me, that has all the earmarks of hitching your wagon to Campbell.

I don't hate the guy and I certainly wish him luck in the future but I don't feel bad for him that he's going on to a different chapter in his coaching career.

I hear ya Jimbo. Guess where we differ is that I think he was set up to fail from day 1. He never had the power/authority to lead this team, was saddled with personnel ill-suited to his area of experience and expertise, and never had the credentials for the job to begin with. You're right not to feel sorry for him - Snyder's paid him lots of money to be his latest whipping boy - but I wouldn't lose sight of the fact that tjat's exactly the purpose he's now serving.

I think (and I say this respectfully) you're waaay off base blaming Zorn for Jason Campbell. Zorn didn't 'stick' with Jason Campbell - to be fair, he may well have been the one screaming to Cerrato and Snyder 'I can't win with this guy!!'. We don't know how that dynamic played out. It's certainly not Zorn's fault that we failed to find a reasonable alternative to Campbell, or find some solid depth/talent to protect whoever the hell was back there at QB for us. I think blaming Zorn for that is a real stretch. And again, although I'd have gone with Collins in year 2, I'm not sure he'd have lasted more than 2 or 3 games, given the pounding I watched JC weather.

Zorn was a failure - but he was doomed from day one.

At least we can agree that no matter what's coming down the pike for this franchise, it almost has to be an improvement over what we've had to suffer through the past year.

Just as long-term successful teams are a combination of good ownership, good personnel people, good coaching and good players, chronically bad teams are a combination of many bad elements. Zorn was one of those elements. So was Cerratto.

Hopefully removing them from the equation will be enough. We'll see.

Snyder will definitely make the job finanically appealling and rewarding. Guess depends on where he wants to go. At least this time we do have or give the appearance of contigency plans.

Heard last night that if Zimmer doesn't come as DC than it will be Haslett.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.