• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Quotes Skins vs. Vikings 2016: Redskins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS QB KIRK COUSINS

On if Minnesota adjusted to the Redskins’ offense or if the offense missed plays to make it a close game:
"Well, we had three more possessions, two three and outs, and a couple of plays in those three and outs when we tried to take a chance down the field. The pocket didn’t quite allow for me to do that and it ended up incomplete. We didn’t get the pass interference on one of them and we had a penalty that set us back, so all that stuff contributes to the three and outs. The fumble on the last possession on the half pretty much explains why we couldn’t keep it going.”

On what triggered his emotional response to the potential pass interference call:
"It was a big play in the game. I want to win and penalties – and not calling penalties – has a huge impact on the outcome of the football game. I thought we had a chance at one there that would’ve kept us on the field and kept us driving and gotten us better field position, but we didn’t get it. I just wanted to voice my opinion and that’s that.”

On if he felt the game was slipping away at any point, and if so, when he felt it come back to him:
"Football is a game of momentum, so you definitely want to capture the momentum and keep it. If you lose it, which you’re bound to do at some point, try and fight like crazy to get it back. I thought the first drive coming out of halftime, taking it down the field, was a step in the right direction. I hated having to settle for three but it was a good step to move the football like that coming out of the half.”

On the win:
"It was a big win, they’re all big. It took everybody, I’m very pleased with the way the team played and the way we were able to get a win.”

On how Head Coach Jay Gruden handles a close game at halftime:
"Coach [Jay] Gruden does a very good job. I continue to be impressed with his game management. We were talking about this a couple weeks ago, having played in the Arena League, he has learned a lot about clock management, probably more than you even learn in the NFL. He does a very good job of managing the game in coaching situations. Any time you have young players in certain positions, it’s going to take time. You don’t just snap your fingers and get exactly what you want. I think we are all growing together. I don’t think we are an old, veteran, experienced team by any means, and there’s still a ways to go.”

On RB Robert Kelley’s play:
“I thought he ran really, really well. [I’m] not surprised. I thought he did the same thing against the Bengals. He just picked up where he left off and was phenomenal all day. I was very pleased with the way he ran the football and I can’t say enough good things about him, his effort, the way he produced for us and his approach to the game. He stepped up and had a big pickup in pass protection as well and a conversion. So some of those are unseen and are making a big difference for us as well.”

On what happened on the near interception:
“I don’t know until I see the film, but I felt Jordan had to step on a shell across and I was trying to get it to him and right at the moment I was trying to get it to him, I couldn’t. couldn’t get the ball out cleaner because of the rusher right there and it all happened so fast. You see it and you want to throw it and from the moment you see it to the moment the ball leaves your hand. I couldn’t get that push enough behind it the way I wanted to.”

On TE Vernon Davis and TE Jordan Reed’s positioning during the touchdown:
“Plays are designed to go a certain way and sometimes they don’t end up the way you drew them up. Certainly that’s one of them. We had wanted Jordan [Reed] to be in a different spot, but he can get knocked around and ended up not quite where you were expecting it and certainly is an imperfect play from that standpoint.”

On if he has always been a durable athlete:
“You’re about to jinx me, man! I don’t know, I broke my ankle my junior year of high school, had some pretty serious sprains in college, but I had to play through them. They weren’t enjoyable, but I work hard in the offseason. I see a guy in Michigan, Gary Gray, who’s really put me back together and helped my body go to another level. His people really helped me. I take the offseason training very seriously and then try to get the ball out of my hand quickly. No matter how well I train or how much I lift and stretch, prepare, eat right, and sleep right, if Everson Griffen with his size and speed hits you, it’s probably not going to go to well. So, I try to get the ball out of my hand and not hold on to it for too long and that’s probably my best shot at staying healthy.”

On the first half’s ending:
“We just go in there and we said, 'We start with the football and we have a great opportunity coming out of the half to move the ball. Let’s just be efficient and take it one play at a time – those kind of cliché phrases – but that’s what we really needed to do. We said, 'We have the momentum right now. We have to have a little more emotion, let’s fake it until we make it.’ I think we did that well enough in the second half.”

REDSKINS LB PRESTON SMITH

On his two sacks and his interception:
"I’m just happy that we got the win. The plays that I got on top of the win feel so much better than getting them in a loss. Guys fought through all the way to the end of the game. Guys played their tails off and were just playing sound when we needed it.”

On his one-handed interception:
“Yeah, I’ve been practicing that – one-handed – and at least tried to make the consideration of being on Top 10, the ESPN Top 10 in the morning.”

On the interception:
“After I hit it, I was like, 'I can’t miss it twice or everybody is going to be mad at me,’ before I caught it, but then I pulled it in and tried to get a touchdown, but I think somebody got in the way.”

On the sack to end the game:
“I felt like my rushes all through the game were kind of saving up for it. On the last sack, I had to rush the passes as fast as I could and give it my all for one last play. Both of us ended up getting there and getting Sam Bradford.”

REDSKINS CB JOSH NORMAN

On how they recovered in the second half:
"We played lockdown defense. Those guys came in here to play and we dug in deep and got the win. We got the shutout in the second half, didn’t give up any more points [and got] three-and-outs. The defense, hats off to all those guys at the end, especially the defensive linemen.”
On if the defense can be successful giving up 20 points per game:
“I really don’t know. I think it probably should have been less than that today, which it’s unfortunate that it wasn’t. The simple things weren’t happening. We came out in the second half and did a whole lot better job and they didn’t score. I don’t know if that’s the number that I would put us at, but we can be better, definitely.”

On the pass rush today:
“They did a good job today. Credits and kudos to them. Su’a [Cravens] played a heck of a game today. He was a good addition for us, he really was. The offense did a hell of a job killing it with that rock today. CT [Chris Thompson] came in and was serviceable. Kirk [Cousins] again, making plays and finding guys that were open. The whole kicking phase today – snapping, holding, and kicking by [Dustin Hopkins] did a hell of a job. Four field goals in a row – you can’t ask anything better. When his number is called, they work hard each and every week. It was good to see him come through and be successful. This whole team, we’re rolling and building on the next one and not thinking about it. We’re getting ready for next week.”

REDSKINS LB RYAN KERRIGAN

On LB Preston Smith’s game:
“He’s been close a lot this season. I don’t know how many sacks he’s had so far, but he’s close on a lot of plays and it’s good to see him finish those plays today and come up with some really big plays.”

On if he saw extra motivation from PreSmith today:
“Well, he’s been motivated all year. He’s been working his tail off and I think you saw it come together today with not only him making the plays, but the timing of the plays was huge. That interception was at a very crucial time and kind of helped us finish the game. It didn’t fully put it away, but it gave us the chance to put it away. Obviously the sack put it away. He’s been awesome and hopefully he can keep it up the rest of the year.”

On the resiliency of the team this year:
“We have a pretty good resolve in this locker room. We know every game is going to be close. You rarely have a game where you just beat a team 40-0. We know most games we’re playing are going to be close and you have to have that mindset going into every game that you have to play for a full 60 minutes.”

REDSKINS LB SU’A CRAVENS

On what it means for the team to win a close game:
“We didn’t do what we wanted to do in the first half. We got up early and then I think we got kind of lax. We got kind of conservative and they put up 20 points in the blink of an eye. We locked them down in the second half. They didn’t score. I’m proud of the defense [and] how the offense played. Game ball to Hop [Dustin Hopkins], Tress [Way] and Preston [Smith].”

On his tackle for loss:
“They actually put me at my old college positon. They put me at 'Sam’ because Preston [Smith] can’t play it, so I had to play it. They ran a toss my way and I just made a play on the ball.”

On Preston Smith’s big game:
“It was good, man, it was good. He had a great game and I’m proud of him.”

REDSKINS WR MAURICE HARRIS

On if there was more pressure because of his limited playing time:
“Yeah, it’s a pressure situation obviously but I try not to put that pressure on myself – just kind of relax – and I feel that I do better when I’m relaxed instead of thinking that if I mess up I’m not going to play. Just kind of go out there and have fun.”

On what it takes to succeed in the NFL:
“A lot, just learning from the older guys really. Pierre [Garçon] and DeSean [Jackson] teach me a lot. Ever since I’ve been here, [they’ve] taken me under their wing and learn from them as much as I can.”

On any of the veterans complimented his play:
“Yeah, I mean they told me, 'Good job,’ and asked me what I’m seeing out there. [They’re] just trying to help me as much as they can.”

On his nerves going into the game:
“I was a little nervous. I’m a little nervous before every game, but once you get a couple plays in and kind of get the flow going, it just kind of rolls from there.”

REDSKINS DE CHRIS BAKER

On Preston Smith’s big game:
“I’m very happy for him because as a pass rusher, you’re always judged based on how many sacks you’ve had. The sack numbers are a little bit low, but they always come in waves. Last year it was against Philadelphia. It was a confidence booster for him and he needs to continue that sack production for the rest of the season because we’re really going to need it.”

On the impact Smith has had despite lacking big numbers:
“He’s always disrupting the quarterback and getting the quarterback off the spot. He’s been in on a lot of tackles also. People don’t really pay attention to those kinds of things. We all see it, the people who actually watch football, but people only look at the sack numbers and I only think he had one and a half or two before this game. He had a great game this game and will hopefully only continue to get better from here.”

On what it means for the team to win a close game:
“It says a lot. It says that we can be resilient. We just have to play better offense at the beginning. I think today was one of those days where we started to play better on special teams, offense and defense, but we still have to learn how to take them down and keep them down. We get the lead early and then give up the lead and let the team come back. To be a good team, we have to stick our foot on their throat from the beginning of the game until after the game and not let teams back into the game.”

REDSKINS RB ROBERT KELLEY

On being effective in the run game:
"It’s all it’s about. You try and minimize the negative runs. That’s something Coach [Jay] Gruden talks about a lot to make sure that I get positive runs. If I get just one yard, stay positive. You can’t go broke with a positive.”

On how he feels after the big win:
“I feel good. Some of the other guys are giving me the other stuff, like I got 97 yards. I don’t care as long as we got the win with it. I could have had 12 yards and it wouldn’t matter.”

REDSKINS S DONTE WHITNER SR.

On being impressed with Preston Smith’s interception:
“I told him he looked like an athlete and he is an athlete. He can rush the passer and do a bunch of different things on the defensive side of the ball. He’s a young guy right now. I can’t wait to see how he looks in two, three years. As long as he takes things seriously, continues to learn and continues to work, he’ll be one of those top guys.”

On differences in the defense in the second half:
“We had to make some adjustments. We made too many simple mistakes in the first half, whether it be a guy taking a guy in the flat or a guy covering a guy on a crossing route. It was all of those simple things and we came in and once we got on that board over there, we made that adjustment. Hats go off to these guys. Hats go off to our defensive coaches for coming in and making adjustments.”

REDSKINS T TY NSEKHE

On what this win means to the team:
“Oh, it’s big. We prepared all week. We knew it was going to be a dog fight. Came out and then succeeded. It’s real big.”

On playing in T Trent Williams’ place:
“It was some big shoes to fill, all-pro. Just had to step in there and do my job when I’m called upon.”

On the run game:
“We ran real effective. I heard that he [Robert Kelley] got 97 yards rushing. I feel we could’ve got three more [laughter]. It would have been nice to get three more. Overall, it was a good day.”

On his level of satisfaction in the result of the game:
“Oh, most definitely, but now we’ve just got to keep on pushing. We’ve got Green Bay next week, we’ve got a tall task. And hopefully we can do the same outcome.”

REDSKINS TE VERNON DAVIS

On the touchdown catch:
“It was a huge one. We had been working on that for weeks. We finally had an opportunity to go out there and call the play. It was definitely the situation that we were hoping for. Came across, came down, sold it, sold the block. It’s kind of like a wheel route up the red line. And Kirk [Cousins] found me and was able to execute.”

On how big this win is:
“Huge win, huge win. We needed this one. Week to week we try to prepare as much as we possibly can and hope for the best. To be able to come into this game and compete against a Vikings defense, it’s huge for us. Defensively, they did a great job too – can’t take that away from them. They did a great job. Sean McVay, up top, was able to call some great plays. Receivers, running backs, tight ends, everyone was able to execute and take care of their assignments.

On not having any catches after his touchdown:
“You know what, like I tell everyone, I’m here to do my job. Whatever they ask me to do, I’ll do it, won’t complain. It’s just something you have to do, especially as a veteran, just having that presence. Guys are able to see that and the younger guys can learn from that. It’s not about you, it’s all about the team.”

REDSKINS WR JAMISON CROWDER

On if there was more pressure with WR DeSean Jackson out of the lineup:
“I wouldn’t say pressure. We knew that with him being out we lost a big-time weapon but, you know, we just have to go out there and still have to do our job. So, I wouldn’t say that we were pressured but we knew that we had to step it up another notch and make plays.”

On closing out the game in the fourth quarter:
“Like I said, it’s always nice to win, regardless of how it is. We jumped out early, a lot of momentum then we kind of ran out of gas a little bit. So, you know, the Vikings, we knew they were a tough team, good team, but they came back and we had to fight and come out with a victory.”

On remaining confident after losing the lead:
“Yeah, we did. We felt confident. We knew that we just had to clean some things up and move the ball down the field and try and get into the end zone.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.