• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Spencer long is terrible

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
watch the cousins fumble,

First cousins should have just eaten the ball, the fumble is as much on him as long but Long got run off the ball and driven into the backfield like a bantam player against a college player. our Oline still needs a lot of work.

Blaming Cousins for that fumble is ridiculous Ryman. His own lineman tripped him up totally screwing the play. In a perfect world, yeah, he eats the ball, but we're talking about instant reaction - he had no time to even think about it. I refuse to blame Cousins for trying to carry out the play. Cousins had a hell of a game today. You add up all the drops (including what could've been a TD to Crowder), the drive killing fumbles, the poor protection - he almost won it on his own today. He's the last person who should be getting cricitized if you ask me.

Announcer pointed out that Scherff missed his assignment on that play.

against a cocked NT, the guard is supposed to chip on that player to help the center out, Scherff didn't and we saw the results.

What I saw was a 5 man rush most of the time. We never kept a back in to block. And resulted in Kirk under pressure forced to hurry up. He didn't handle it well imo. But I also expected and pleaded all game to keep an extra blocker in there as we had plenty of receiving options and mismatches all day that we simply did not exploit.

Yep, if the defense was rolling coverages to DeSean Jackson, where was Pierre Garcon in the game plan?

He is the most quiet $10M a year receiver in the NFL in 2016.

He's healthy, he's out there and he gets open but the ball never seems to find him.

I'm not sure he could have pulled it back in without losing it. The back had a chance to grab it if he'd have seen it. But I agree fully with the premise that long is not the answer. They better focus on the lines next offseason

I find it funny that during our four game win streak, everyone was giving Long props for his run blocking and how he was growing into the position.

Lose one game and it's "We got anybody else?"

Jeff Bostic had bad games too....

Many seem to forget he doesn't even have a full season starting under his belt, and as stated above, the booth crew did say it was on Sheriff missing the chip.

Yeah, a little over the top with some of these.
I thought the line was gelling nicely considering their experience together (or lack of)

After that 'doink' off the back of Breeland (I think) only to be caught by their receiver I figured it was going to be 'one of those games' and as soon as Kirk ran it in to take the lead I had a Staubach moment.... too much time left.

Stafford is no slouch, 24 game winning drives in his 100 starts. It took a pretty spectacular bobble catch to get it done against our guys too, the Pats lost a SB to one of those.

I'm more concerned about loss to injury right now than a loss to the Lions.

After that 'doink' off the back of Breeland (I think) only to be caught by their receiver I figured it was going to be 'one of those games' .

Yeah that and then Hopkins hitting the TOP of the left upright! Honestly couldn't do that again if he tried.

And with the trips and the bounces and the fumbles... it just felt like one of those days where frakk happens.

I'm just hoping this got it all out of their system ready for next week.

I'm not sayin Long is bad. Just sayin Sullivan might be better.
He certainly has a far better resume than Long, and unless he has some issues we don't know about, may likely be the better option than Long, at this stage of his young career at Center.

Long has largely been fine this year. And he's young. I would let him play out the season and get comfortable with his teammates and see what happens. The one spot you REALLY don't want to shuffle players if you don't have to is the OL.

I certainly wouldn't demote him because of one high-profile bad play. Or even a bad game.

Hitting the post? Should be worth 4 points...

Long has not been a center long. People don't tend to understand that it takes awhile to get that timing together in regards to stepping backward. They always have to backup in pass protection and it's not as easy as it sounds.
I don't know that Long has done anything so egregious to warrant replacement.
Like the idea (hopefully abandoned by now) of permanently moving your LT to Guard. Different footwork, different movements ~ there's more to it than just sliding over a spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.