• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Week Six Grades, Evaluations, Questions

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Greetings from the international headquarters of BBQ.

Week six is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Eagles. In many ways the Redskins completely dominated the troglodytes from Philadelphia, but a couple of mistakes allowed the score to be much closer. It was the fourth straight win and we will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Let

More...

Week Six Grades, Evaluations, Questions​

Greetings from the international headquarters of BBQ.

Week six is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Eagles. In many ways the Redskins completely dominated the troglodytes from Philadelphia, but a couple of mistakes allowed the score to be much closer. It was the fourth straight win and we will try to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades, evaluations and questions. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, questions, and opinions.

Let’s take a look at week six.

Quarterbacks:
Question: The stats look paltry – how did he help the team to win on Sunday?
Answer: In the midst of any winning streak, a team knows what it takes to win and simply accomplishes that goal. Kirk Cousins started off hot, then went cold. Just before halftime and in the second half he simply became an effective game manager. Improvements are still needed, but the results are still a positive – for now.
Grade: B-

Running Backs:
Question: See what happens when you run the ball?
Answer: Many of us laughed last year when the GM suggested that Matt Jones had some Marshawn Lynch. If this continues, some may dare to compare him to John Rigg---, uh – we’re not going there just yet. Robert Kelley was an UDFA – think about that one for a while.
Grade: A+

Wide Receivers:
Question: Is it possible that Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson return next year?
Answer: Both players are good contributors and each one had another solid game. Nothing flashy, just steady and dependable. Jamison Crowder could be the best receiver on the team right now.
Grade: B+

Tight Ends:
Question: Many pundits thought the Redskins would struggle without Jordan Reed – are they better off without him?
Answer: Nooooooooo. However, the depth is superb and Vernon Davis had quite the impact against the Eagles. Niles Paul continues to be one of the best blocking tight ends in the NFL.
Grade: B+

Offensive Line:
Question: Can we expect the offensive line to shine like this the rest of the season?
Answer: One would hope so. Lack of injuries would certainly help. Becoming comfortable with one another helps. Realizing the role each player has can only help. It looks promising. Spencer Long and Brandon Scherff were dominant. They’re “Halloween in Full Clown Garb” scary for any opponent right now.

Defensive Line:
Question: Hey, who are these guys and what did they do with the old players?
Answer: Hey, let’s not complain and hope the ride continues. Trent Murphy, Chris Baker, and Ziggy Hood had quite the impact. Matt Ioannidis, Cullen Jenkins, and Ricky Jean Francois also had a good game.
Grade: A-

Linebackers:
Question: Was this game from the linebacker corps even better than the previous game?
Answer: Possibly, but one thing they certainly did was build on their success. You can’t argue three and a half sacks and nineteen tackles from this group. They constantly harassed rookie sensation Carson Wentz into his worst game of the season.

Cornerbacks:
Question: Is this group back to 100% after the return of Bashaud Breeland?
Answer: Any good football player will tell you that he is always looking to improve. Other than a couple of slightly impactful passes, the corners took what the front seven gave to them – the opportunity to neutralize the Eagles passing attack - COMPLETELY. Wentz completed eleven passes. Other than a fifty-four yard pass completion (Jordan Matthews), no Eagles receiver went for more than thirty-four yards. Without the long completion, Matthews finishes with twenty yards total and Wentz finishes with 125. That is domination.

Safeties:
Question: Does the team miss David Bruton and DeAngelo Hall?
Answer: The Redskins do miss the special teams play from Bruton and likely misses the leadership from Hall. However, Duke Ihenacho and Will Blackmon are proving they are up to the task. See the statistics we posted on the cornerbacks – rinse and repeat here.

Special Teams:
Question: Overall it was pretty good, but what happened on that touchdown return?
Answer: One could blame the excessive celebration penalty, but the Redskins should’ve used a squib kick strategy in that situation – the defense was playing well and it likely mitigates that penalty. Dustin Hopkins and Tress Way continued to provide superior kicking.
Grade: B

Coaching:
Question: What hot seat?
Answer: BBQ really wishes you would take that dead horse away and stop with the same question each week – there is no hot seat. The offense decided to put the running game in high gear. The defense was exceptional. It was a masterpiece. Special teams had a brief brain fade, but this unit continues to fire on all cylinders. Once again, here is the bottom line look: Four straight wins. One against an undefeated division rival. Another against a perennial playoff team and recent Super Bowl champion. Another against a rookie sensation – a victory that was dominant and thorough. There was a special teams hiccup and this alters the grade a tad.
Grade: A-

How would you grade each position and the coaching staff? How about the GM and the depth he provided in the offseason at tight end, safety, offensive line, defensive line, cornerback, and running back? Should Kory Lichtensteiger be released? Was the overall defensive scheme better in the Ravens game or against the Eagles? Has Trent Murphy earned a second contract with the Redskins? On to game seven.

See you again next week with grades, evaluations, and questions.

Hail to the Redskins!

Last edited:
Cooley, fwiw, graded Kirk a little higher, the INT was on Kirk (it was open just a bad throw)the Djax throw for the TD he put on Djax, in fact he had Djax as the lowest rated receiver of the game at C+ for running poor routes.

Declared it the best game for Kirk thus far this year.

Cooley, fwiw, graded Kirk a little higher, the INT was on Kirk (it was open just a bad throw)the Djax throw for the TD he put on Djax, in fact he had Djax as the lowest rated receiver of the game at C+ for running poor routes.

Declared it the best game for Kirk thus far this year.

That pick was SO bad though. Hard for me to grade Kirk out above a C because that pick was just so terrible. Watching with my dad, and we just stared at the TV in disbelief. We waited for the replay and both said, well... maybe the receiver could have come back fo... but no. It was just a terrible play.

So bad.

I get that. But I don't think it's unfair to say that one play can define a game. Not necessarily a season or a career (though it's not like that NEVER happens), but a game is in play, imo. I hope we roll from here on out and in the long term, that play is meaningless because we won anyway - but my opinion is that play overshadowed a whole lot of the good Kirk did.

I get that. But I don't think it's unfair to say that one play can define a game. Not necessarily a season or a career (though it's not like that NEVER happens), but a game is in play, imo. I hope we roll from here on out and in the long term, that play is meaningless because we won anyway - but my opinion is that play overshadowed a whole lot of the good Kirk did.

Interesting in that my perspective is-to a certain extent-almost the exact opposite. How Kirk handled himself the rest of the game to a certain extent washed dome of the bad taste out or my mouth from that INT-an admittedly "Pro NFL QB wtf? level" brain fart. The important thing I'm sensing is that his ability to regain his composure after a mistake like that is noticeably improved (improving?) from the momentum killing quasi-funk he went into in similar game situations earlier i his career.

The Kirk Cousins we have now is a whole hell of a lot better as a QB than I originally thought he'd be when he first grabbed the team reins.

I believe Kirk is the only thing holding this offense back from challenging "The Greatest Show on Turf" we saw decades ago.

I do have to give him credit for throwing the ball away so many times though instead of trying to force something that wasn't there.

If he can wake up, we can average 35 points a game.

So serv ... you want your old avatar back, or is Trung still your leading canidate?

:behindsofa:

Interesting in that my perspective is-to a certain extent-almost the exact opposite. How Kirk handled himself the rest of the game to a certain extent washed dome of the bad taste out or my mouth from that INT-an admittedly "Pro NFL QB wtf? level" brain fart. The important thing I'm sensing is that his ability to regain his composure after a mistake like that is noticeably improved (improving?) from the momentum killing quasi-funk he went into in similar game situations earlier i his career.

The Kirk Cousins we have now is a whole hell of a lot better as a QB than I originally thought he'd be when he first grabbed the team reins.

I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

From my perspective, from this fan's perspective, that one dumbass play was so bad it overshadowed a lot of good he did the rest of the game. I realize that objectively, he played an OK game the rest of the way, and certainly think he was able to rebound nicely.

Let me put it this way, you know how some impressions up and vanish like a fart in the wind (thank you Warden)? And other impressions stick with you like a lingering, rotten, rancid fart that portends worse things to come?

Kirk's INT was in the second category for me when I think about the game. In reality though, it probably belongs in the first category because it had no impact on the game's outcome.

Metaphors are fun.

I'm just curious, Goal ... did you think that pick Brady threw in the red zone in the SB (one of two bad picks he threw that day, btw) overshadowed a lot of the good he the rest of the game? Which of course they went on to win when the other SB quarterback threw perhaps the most undigestible pick of all time.

I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

From my perspective, from this fan's perspective, that one dumbass play was so bad it overshadowed a lot of good he did the rest of the game. I realize that objectively, he played an OK game the rest of the way, and certainly think he was able to rebound nicely.

Let me put it this way, you know how some impressions up and vanish like a fart in the wind (thank you Warden)? And other impressions stick with you like a lingering, rotten, rancid fart that portends worse things to come?

Kirk's INT was in the second category for me when I think about the game. In reality though, it probably belongs in the first category because it had no impact on the game's outcome.

Metaphors are fun.

Even when they're actually a simile.

Or in this case a smellilie. ..:thud:

So serv ... you want your old avatar back, or is Trung still your leading canidate?

:behindsofa:

I've hung with Trung for a little while now so he still gets my vote....for now anyway.

Not really picking a side here, but Tom Brady has a MUCH larger body of work.

Cooley went on the follow up his critique on Kirk, while the INT was a bad throw, he also considered the circumstances leading up to it.

Myself, I don't recall the exact play sequence leading up to the INT but Cooley pointed out that Kirk was running around a quite bit prior to that called naked bootleg left, he figured that the call probably should have been a little less 'stressful' on Kirk in terms of physical play.

Similar to a long sequence of runs by one back and our 'give him the ball an let him finish with a score' attitude. As we sit in our armchairs or stadium seats we figure the RB worked hard to get to the goal line and deserves the reward TD. but we also tend to forget that a bunch of energy was expended by that stretch of plays. Cooley pointed out that guys do get gassed and can lose that 'edge' after a series of plays and it might just be better to let a 'fresh set of' take over for that final push.

He pointed out that he didn't think Kirk was out of shape but he did say the sequence leading up to the INT might have left him gassed just enough to make him less than optimal to evade the oncoming LB, setup and make the good throw to an open receiver.

Don't think we were at a critical down and distance at the time and a run or quick pocket pass play might have yielded better results and allowing Kirk to settle some.

It was definitely a bad throw regardless but sometimes factors other than just 'bonehead' can play into it.

Om, I don't remember the Brady throw, sorry. I just remember thinking at the time that Kirk's throw was awful. I mean dreadful. The kind of throw that makes you question his judgment.

Kirk hasn't played great yet this year. Im hoping we're due.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

My post has a link to the video. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I watched it. I just don't remember the context of the game. And I am emotionally uninvested in the Pats, so I doubt it would have made much of an impact anyway to be honest.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Lol. Ok brother. My point was simply that even the best quarterbacks in the history of the game occasionally throw what look like brain-dead interceptions.

It's a pretty good point. You could also have pointed to any of the numerous Aaron Rodgers interception over the past 12 months - which are equally head-scratching (or review Rodgers 58% completion rate over that period - you know, that's attributable to everything except his own decision making...).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.