• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

10 Worst Redskins Draft Picks of the Decade

Spence

The Rookie
Reaction score
There were a lot of awful Redskins draft picks this decade [Thanks, Vinny!] and, when you have a look at it, a lot of missed picks since so many were traded away. I've come up with what I view as the 10 worst. I suspect #1 will surprise and, perhaps, annoy a lot of you. Just callin' 'em as I see 'em.

Read it.

Don't agree on a number of these.

Rod Gardner as the #15 overall in 2001 was a huge bomb. He didn't even last through the end of his rookie contract. Given where he was taken and how far short he fell of expectations over time he needs to be on this list.

I don't think Carlos Rogers belongs on the list. Taken #9 in 2005, he has outlasted and outperformed both of the corners taken ahead of him, Pacman Jones and Antrelle Rolle (who is now a safety). He has played well for the most part. Why the team soured on him as much as it did last year when he was still coming back from an ACL tear is a mystery. Did his performance drop off? Yes. But then again, he wasn't supposed to be ready to play until mid-season and worked to get back for the opener. You would think the team would consider this. But the press machine has gone negative on Rogers and he is likely to depart in 2010. While not a guy that will get interceptions, he has been solid in coverage for the most part, and I will enjoy watching Tryon or Barnes try and take his place (!).

Also don't agree on Landry. Or rather I don't agree you can judge him a bust based on how the Redskins have used him. Playing a guy out of position can ruin his confidence as he no longer can depend upon his instincts and his reaction time is slowed due to having to think and do what does not come naturally to him. Just look at Albert Haynesworth. Based on what he showed in Blache's defense in 2009, would you have rated him the best DT in the NFL and a consensus all-pro as he was in 2008 in Tenn?

I agree that Taylor Jacobs as the top pick in 2003 was huge bust, all made worse by the fact Vinny Cerrato said he was top 20 talent and the Redskins would have taken him in Round 1 if they had had a pick there that year.

Most of the others I agree with as well.

I had Gardner rated as 11th so he just missed the list. The reason is that his career with the Skins, while not as good as we hoped, wasn't awful. He did have a 1000-yard season. He caught a pretty fair number of passes and scored 22 touchdowns with Washington. He averaged almost 57 receptions and 750 yards per season with the Redskins. Those are not great numbers, but they're not that bad either. Gardner's career outside of Washington was brief and awful, but in D.C. I thought he was a minor disappointment and, therefore, not as bad as the 10 guys that did make this list.

I think it is too early to put Kelly or Rinehart on the list either, especially Rinehart who might have nailed down the RG spot if not for that broken leg against Dallas.

I think it is too early to put Kelly or Rinehart on the list either, especially Rinehart who might have nailed down the RG spot if not for that broken leg against Dallas.
You took the words out of my mouth. They might end up being busts, but it's premature.

Top 5 (+1):
1. Rod Gardner - Only 1st round bust this decade
2. Taylor Jacobs - Complete waste of a high 2nd rounder
3. Lloyd Harrison - Picked at top of 3rd, a complete bust
4. Laron Landry - The 6th overall pick for a Sam Shade clone who can't tackle.
5. Tie: Cliff Russell - Predictably brittle - Never lasted a season in college, why would he survive the NFL... Rashad Baumann, another bust picked in the same 3rd round

You took the words out of my mouth. They might end up being busts, but it's premature.

Rinehart was benched for poor peformance and only entered because of further injuries. I bet he is not part of Shanahan's team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.