• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins vs Ravens: yet another "Opportunity Game"

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The Redskins haven't won these games in a very long time. Every year it seems we come to one of these "opportunity games."

The situation is always the same. The Skins get backed against a wall, like, for example, after starting 0-2 this year with a road trip to historic shop or horrors NY to play the Giants up next.

Faced with almost certain playoff-potential death and the very real possibility of playing the majority of the 2016 season just trying to keep the ship from sinking, they rally and get an improbable win. They follow that up with an only slightly less critical game, against a winless Browns team, at home, and manage to win another, if in less than inspiring fashion.

Which brings us to tomorrow's game up in Baltimore. An opportunity game. The Skins aren't favored, and few fans or "experts" outside of the DC area think they have a realistic shot to win. And the cost of losing, while inflicting short-term pain, won't put the 2016 season on life support.

But they do have an opportunity. An opportunity to win a game against a decent opponent, in a situation where they don't really HAVE to win in order to keep their season alive. A win COULD prove a building block upon which the team could gain the confidence and momentum to maybe make some noise in the NFC this year, and continue the ascent we got a taste of late last year.

But the Skins haven't won these kinds of games often ... not since they used to be a perennial contender so many years ago. They generally need to be in Code Red mode these days, where a loss, if not a final nail in the seasonal coffin, is at least a Black Knight level of flesh wound.

They won one last year, up in Philly, with a division title on the line. Remember how that felt? I do. Very, very happy. And more than a little surprised.

Right now, facing our first opportunity game of the year, I'm still bullish on where I think this team is headed big-picture. But in terms of 2016, I'm having a hard time seeing them rise above their usual need to have their collective feet to the fire, and actually win a game they aren't "supposed to," against an opponent and in a situation where a loss will really surprise no one.

I hope I'm wrong, but my head is still tell my heart not to get too far ahead of myself.

And that's where the Pirelli meets the pavement. When the Redskins finally start winning their share of these kinds of games, and we and the football world are no longer shocked, that's when we'll know they really and truly have turned the corner.

Thank you for your time.

The unfortunate thing is, this game isn't really crucial. No regular season game against any AFC team is. Provided you've taken care of business in your own division, and conference.

If we were told at the beginning of the season, that we would start off 2-3, and we could choose who those wins and loses would be to......everyone with a working brain cell would pick the 2 wins to be against the vaGiants and the Crackboys. Of course, Gruden & Co pissed in their tutu's against the Crackboys.

Beating the Turdbirds would not erase that.
Losing to them only adds to the angst.

The unfortunate thing is, this game isn't really crucial. No regular season game against any AFC team is. Provided you've taken care of business in your own division, and conference.

If we were told at the beginning of the season, that we would start off 2-3, and we could choose who those wins and loses would be to......everyone with a working brain cell would pick the 2 wins to be against the vaGiants and the Crackboys. Of course, Gruden & Co pissed in their tutu's against the Crackboys.

Beating the Turdbirds would not erase that.
Losing to them only adds to the angst.
And that is the entire point I'm making, my sour friend. :)

The opportunity is to win a game we "shouldn't", that no one really expects us to, in a situation that is not life or death.

Not sure of the series record, but when Ravens won the SB twice, we had beaten them during the regular season. So in a parity driven league, we can win any given sunday.

I'd say, salty, not sour. And, it's an undefeated entitiy. ;)

And if the real Ax could, I'm sure he'd tell you this is hardly a "game we shouldn't" win.

It's a game we should win. Just like we "should have" beat the Crackboys.

Nome sayin?

Not sure of the series record, but when Ravens won the SB twice, we had beaten them during the regular season. So in a parity driven league, we can win any given sunday.
I would accept that as an axiom.

I'd say, salty, not sour. And, it's an undefeated entitiy. ;)

And if the real Ax could, I'm sure he'd tell you this is hardly a "game we shouldn't" win.

It's a game we should win. Just like we "should have" beat the Crackboys.

Nome sayin?
Salty, huh. Okay ...but that's some sour-ass salt you been shakin'.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not with you on this being a game we "should" win. Dallas, here, against a rook QB, yes. But Bal'mer is 3-1, playing at home, and actually fields an NFL defense. Plus, we haven't won in Baltimore in 423 years.

It is an opportunity, though. :)

The last four times the Redskins made the playoffs (which are, of course, the only four times we've made the playoffs this century) the Redskins were 5-6, 5-7, 5-6 and 5-7 before going on late-season winning streaks to save their seasons.

It would be really cool if we didnt have to keep doing that to make the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You say Opportunity Game, I say Lucy Game.

Does Charlie Brown(Redskins fans) finally get to kick the ball or does Lucy (The Redskins) pull it away again?

If our defense was just "fair to middling", I'd have no problem buying into a win tomorrow.

But as we all know,there's always some impediment the Redskins have to work around....

They were what 2-4 last year before they finally woke up? Why do today that you can put off till tomorrow to do - like winning until it is in must win territory. So I get Om's point - Baltimore is a team the Redskins are quite capable of beating and if it was going to be played in a few weeks from now, the Redskins would almost certainly win if they were at 2-4; it's just that's who they've been lately. I'd like to see Washington go into Baltimore and take one just because they can and not because they need to.

How have these guys started the first six games in the last few years? They haven't started better than 3-3 since 2008. They finished at .5oo in 2010 & 2011. The rest of those years - under .500. A lot of different coaches and players during those years so I don't know how this legacy has been passed down but the Redskins really seem like they wait for it to be a 10 game season and that's when the fog clears. Sometimes that works out, not usually but sometimes. So no, not a must win tomorrow but just a tiny sense of urgency to not have the last 8 games be a must win might be nice.

Kinda like the Rat Birds this year - they only play in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Their run defense - gave up almost as many yards and more YPC than Washington did against the Browns, Baltimore's secondary is really dinged up (so are the Skins, just sayin'). Their offense, much like how the Redskins started, put up a lot of shiny stats last week but not enough points. They're a far cry from unbeatable, as are the Skins. George Zip is watching from above so let's go out there and get one for the Zipper!

DieselPwr44, for the win (PS - Sally was wide right).

Opportunity knocked.

Opportunity was answered.

On to the Philly game.

One game tonight is fun to watch - Go Pack!

Om with the winning thread this week.

One more time today - Hail to the Redskins!

On to week six.

Pretty sure Lauvao was in and Ty spotted in for Moses a bit, usual suspects for the rest.
Kelly even got some looks at RB

They did get the win, almost in spite of themselves, but they did win which is what counts in the record book. For 3 of those quarters the Skins pretty much controlled the game. It was mostly the defense that pulled them through with some help from STs and that they have, for the third week in a row, mostly stayed away from 40 yard passes that Kirk can't hit anyway. They've won in those 3 weeks so hopefully they won't suddenly find the need to stop doing what's working.

They stuck with the running game, at least compared to the start of the season, with 20 runs. Only got 60 yards but the point is they didn't give up after the Ravens got a TD. Kelly had 3 for 18 and a long of 16; Thompson was 2 for 12 and a long of 9 and Jones was 14 for 31 with a long of 12. I am glad that they aren't bailing out on the run but Jones needs to do better. That's barely 2 ypc and if you take out the 12 yarder, that's not even 1.5 yards average on the other 13 runs.

Took advantage of a team that has had poor STs coverage in the last few weeks - exploited an opportunity. Used a better defensive alignment and got more pressure on the QB. They still can't stop the run but teams aren't running much against them no matter how well it's working so I'll buy that for a dollar.

Now they have another opportunity game coming up against the eGals who were just throttled by the Lions. No, not a must win, but they'd be 2-1 in the division and for the first time since 2008 over .5oo in the first six games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.