• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs Browns 2016: Redskins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS QB KIRK COUSINS

On the key to bouncing back:
"I think the defense did a great job at getting us momentum with those turnovers. We ran the ball well, I think. We got that going again in the second half. That’s a credit to our offensive line and receivers on the edge blocking and the running backs running hard. I think being able to run the ball effectively certainly got us going.”

On not throwing downfield:
"I don’t know. I think it’s a little bit of coverage. I think we did try twice down the field. It was a pass interference and I think we got, I don’t know, 90 yards of offense from it, so we’ll take it. If you’re running the ball on first and 10 and second and eight, it’s harder to take shots downfield. You can only do one thing. You just try to go with whatever you feel is working and stay consistent and ahead of the chains, and today was I think a heavier emphasis on running the football.”

On the second touchdown to TE Jordan Reed:
"When teams only rush three players, that means they drop eight in coverage and you only have five eligible receivers. It’s eight-on-five, so it’s tough for people to become open in the rhythm of the play. The plays aren’t designed to have to go against eight defenders. Typically, you’re expecting four rushers – maybe even five or six. With only three rushers, what you can do is play off-schedule a little bit. Buy some time and find somebody working open and that’s what happened there. Jordan [Reed] did a great job and we were fortunate enough to find a window there off-schedule, but it’s certainly not how you draw it up. With a three-man rush sometimes that’s what has to happen.”

On the resolve of this football team:
“It’s just what we need to do. It’s a step in the right direction. We’re very pleased, like you said, getting the win today and getting to 2-2. Now we go forward. The whole cliché of one game at a time, go 1-0 each week and that will never change. We’re happy we went 1-0 this week and now we focus on Baltimore on the road next week.”

On what he saw on the interception:
“The defense back made a very good play, he’s a zoning defender in that curl flat area and he sunk off and made the play. If you go back and see the film you can see as a result, that Matt Jones as a result of him sinking, Matt Jones was open in the flat and so that’s in hindsight where the ball would have been able to go and probably get a productive gain and so that slipped out and I’ll take from that.”

On if the connection to Reed downfield was a coincidence on the second touchdown pass:
“I don’t think so. I think you could have aligned a lot of different formations that would have put anyone else in that position running that same route and you’d like to think with how many talented players we have they can all make that play, but Jordan was the guy today where my reads took me to him, but your reads will take you different places each play. He always seems to be a great target in the red zone and it’s great to have him, and we will continue to figure out ways to get him the football, but teams are going to double team him and that’s when you’ll have great options elsewhere as well.”

On the season so far:
“I think it’s just a feel that there is a lot of potential. We can be a lot better than we’ve been at times, but that’s to be expected in the NFL. You’re never going to play perfect, so while the expectations may be very, very high, we may not reach them every time, but I think we know as an offense we can be very good and we’ve shown stretches of that and parts have been very good. It’s always going to be a challenge as long as I’ve been playing football to see if we can do it more consistently and that’s what we’ll always be talking about – how can we be more and more consistent at a high level drive-in and drive-out, week-in and week-out.”

On being sacked twice and what went wrong:
“The first one is the one where I would say I could easily be better on. You know, I’m rolling out of the pocket trying to find somebody off-schedule and make a play and then obviously throw it away and that balance of hanging on, hanging on, hanging on and 'OK, now I’m going to throw it away.’ So that was one of those times where you hang on for too long and you don’t feel the guy behind you and he gets a sack. The same thing happens on the touchdown pass. I’m rolling to my left, hanging on, hanging on, I feel someone behind me, but I’m saying I’m going to hang on and we end up scoring a touchdown, so that’s one of those things where obviously in hindsight you say, 'That one was good.’ The one with the sack was bad and the key is always going to be as you extend those plays and hope to avoid the sack as much as possible, and that was a play where it wasn’t possible.”

On RB Matt Jones getting going today:
“I mean, you never know. In this league, it’s always one play at a time and, defenses, if you do something well, they then may try to counter and take that away. You’ve got to have an answer. You never know what’s going to be working or what’s going to be the thing that gets you going late in the game, but I was just so pleased to see them. By them, I mean Matt [Jones] and the offensive line continue to do such a great job and were a big reason to why we were able to find a win.”

REDSKINS RB MATT JONES

On consciously running from the start of the game:
"Yes, most definitely. I just had to learn from last weekend. Like I said, last week was a learning thing for me. Once I found out a way, I’m ready to run, I took it to today. I just wanted to start off like that and the game went well starting off like that. I found out who I am and what I’m running for.”

On the second-highest rushing total of his career and how it felt:
"It felt good. I felt like the line had a good scheme and they blocked their tails off for me. I just give all credit to them because they made big holes and I just did what I did on the second level and God blessed me with the talent to make some people miss and get downhill. It felt good and just in the rhythm. As a back, you want to get in the rhythm early and it felt good just to get downhill and just run over guys and look over your shoulder. It felt good.”

On getting into rhythm with a lot of attempts:
"Like I said, as a back, you want to get into rhythm and when you are getting the ball multiple times, you actually get a feel of the game and a feel for how they are playing. It was great for me to experience that and to get downhill with it. It was just all fun out there and once I got going, I just felt great.”

On if he felt the team wore Cleveland down:
"Yes, most definitely. Like I said, I’m still learning and as I learn of myself and I’m a workhorse, so in fourth quarters, that’s where I like to pick most of my yards at. I guess they were tired of tackling and stuff like that, so when you get in the fourth quarters, it’s a grind.”

On if having new players in positions like G Arie Kouandjio and C Spencer Long on the offensive line presented issues with timing:
"No. Like I said, I just got done talking to Arie and I had to tell him, 'Great job,’ because he wasn’t nervous and he went out there and did what he did. And a couple of my runs, actually seeing him set the edge for me and kind of get up on guys at the second level and I just tell him, 'Keep up the great job, man.’ And [Spencer] did so good, you know, blocking 55 [Danny Shelton], man. He’s a big guy and they just did great. I give the whole offensive line credit. But Arie did a great job for his first NFL start.”

On what led to the opportunities he had this game:
“Yeah, like I said, I’m learning this—how I’m running and getting downfield, finishing runs. You know, I get in the rhythm early and that’s where coaches kind of excel and they kind of get a feel of where I’m coming from. And they’ve given me more opportunities, and when we’re rolling like that, they want to keep giving me the ball. Like I said, I’m going to keep learning and keep learning from this game. Last week’s game kind of gave me that learning edge. So, it was great.”

On what happened today for him to be so explosive hitting the hole:
“Yeah, I was learning, man. Just learning from last week and not being so decisive downhill and I just took that as part of my game, and that just, you know, God blessed me with learning and taking the practice reps to the game field, just being more decisive. Like I said, I’m still learning. As a runner, would kind of run up, 232, 6-2, man, when you get downhill, guys, man, they get kind of scared. You know, I’m not saying the Browns aren’t a great team, but it’s hard to tackle a guy like me. I’m learning from guys around the league. You know, Marshawn Lynch last year, and you know, guys like Adrian Peterson. They get downhill and they finish runs, so I try to learn from these guys like that. Just keep being decisive and hitting the hole hard.”

On who he is and what he is running for:
“I’m Matt, man, and God blessed me to play this game. I’m definitely running for my kids, man, my two little girls. It was my mom’s first game out there, too. You know, I just wanted to just be decisive and show my mom what I’ve got and what I’m capable of, what she brought in this world. It meant a lot to me. And definitely just seeing my girls, my little girls calling me, just telling me they see me on the TV and stuff like that, I mean, it just means a lot to me and just finding out who I am as a person. I’m a role model to my kids and I don’t want to let them down. Just me learning from last week and being a decisive runner, I just want to carry that over throughout the season.”

REDSKINS TE JORDAN REED

On becoming the fastest tight end to reach 200 receptions in NFL history:
"It’s just God. I just want to thank God, man, because without him I wouldn’t be here and I’m just going to keep working hard. And, you know, just God – all the glory to God.”

REDSKINS WR DESEAN JACKSON

On winning back-to-back games and getting back to 2-2:
“It feels good. First game winning at home was for our fans to see some opposite things this time. Going 0-2 to start off was kind of rough, so to be able to come back and play a team that was hungry, that was fighting to get a win was definitely a bonus for us. It was a fight though, and I think we stuck with it and did what we needed to do to win the game.”

On the disappointment of the Browns tying the game at halftime:
“It was tough. Like I said, coming out going up 14-0, they came back, scored and then got an interception, things like that. Came back and evened it up at 14 and we just went out there and just had to fight. They definitely fought just as well and fought with us, but it was just happy to come out the second half and get a stop and put some points on the board. And, you know, it was a collective win by the whole team and it’s something we needed today.”

On the defense forcing three straight turnovers:
“Yeah, they did some great things today. Josh [Norman] played a great game. You know, he got his first interception, Trent [Murphy] getting a sack. Guys putting pressure and just doing things we needed to do as a team to help win games and win at home so I think we got that taste out of our mouth here at home and hopefully we can carry that over to next week.”

On his cleats:
“You know, a response is a response, I don’t know. I felt the need to do it. I felt like I’ve been silent long enough. It’s a bigger problem out there in the communities in our society, things like the type of situations – people losing their lives, families like that, little kids going home and not having their parents no more because of crazy things going on. So, as far as the response, whatever the response is, that’s what it is, but I felt that it was time for me to make a stance and speak up on it.”

On wearing the cleats during the game:
“It just felt it was important on my behalf. It was something I felt from my heart and I just want to shed light to the families, to the victims out there. There’s lost loved ones and it’s not anti-police – it’s not like I don’t like police. It has nothing to do with that. The problem is bigger than that. But I guess that’s what it takes to get this much awareness or whatever you want to call it. But that’s not the problem. The problem is in the inner cities, in the communities and we need to find out a solution so we can go into the communities and help kids even killing on each other. It has nothing to do with the message being out there to be said that as a person in this position, you are able to go do things and you want to shed light, you want to get things out there. So as far as me, I go to communities. I do things with the kids with the youth and things like that. So, it was just natural. It is a tough situation we are dealing with in society until we figure out a solution and the organization. We’re doing things on our end to get into the communities and talk to these kids and if it’s talking to police as well to help kids with the police, whatever it is to find a solution.”

REDSKINS CB JOSH NORMAN

On if a 2-2 record sounds better than a 1-3 record:
"Yes sir, man. Absolutely, man. Gosh, this was one heck of a win. [It’s] good, I’m telling you, man. Back against the wall and you come back and fight through adversity. Come in and give them a good wrench, stab in the gut. That’s truly, I can’t think of a more good time to come up with something. You have to give props to everybody that’s on that field. They did fight, they didn’t let down. They kept hanging their heads high and kept fighting. That’s what we did. We kept fighting. You have to give props to the DC. The Defensive Coordinator [Joe Barry] kept calling calls that put us in man situations. Some of our safeties, they went down and the next man up mentality. We just kept holding up and doing what coaches ask us to do. Offense did a great job, special teams. Shoot, man, this was a collective win.”

On his interception:
“I was trying to figure this man [Cleveland WR Terrelle Pryor Sr.] out. I was figuring him out the whole first half. I was kind of, not getting frustrated with myself, but not really like getting down either, just know that my opportunity is about to come. I know it’s coming, I know it’s coming. When it does, make sure you execute. I came out of halftime and got in a whole different place.”

On his halftime adjustments:
“Nothing because everything that was there, he pushed off me a couple of times, but they aren’t going to call it every time. I can’t rely on that. I have to play strong through all that he [Pryor] was doing then. I did. I came back second half and went to a dark place. Went to one of those places that shut him down, locked him down. Feet in the ground and just play your game. Don’t worry about anything else. Coach called this, called that, execute flawlessly. And then I did. I saw the play coming. I knew it, going through the film, studying what he liked to do and as soon as I did, saw my moment and captured it.”

On three straight turnovers:
“Huge, man, huge. As many times as you give the ball back to the offense, that’s what we love to do and shoot, hats off to those guys up front. They were hunting all day. I know they weren’t able to get there as much as they would like but, hey, they kept fighting and they didn’t let down. Linebackers came in there and did their job, kept fighting through adversity. Secondary, I can’t say enough about these guys. We had some calls go against us we didn’t like, but we came back in here and we put our foot in the ground and we kept fighting. We got it done. Those three turnovers were big for everybody.”

REDSKINS DE RICKY JEAN FRANCOIS

On the game:
"They gave us everything they had. They ran the ball great, don’t know what the rushing stats were, but they were moving the ball up the field as well as we did. But once we came out and made adjustments, knowing what we had to do against a good Cleveland Browns team, we put the 'W’ up.”

On what the win says about the team:
“It feels great. It was special. We needed to get a home win before we go right back on the road, technically not back on the road but in Baltimore. We needed this win. We needed to keep the mojo around here up. We needed to keep that feeling of winning up so we go into the next game on a positive note.”

On the defensive turnovers:
“One thing Joe B [Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry] over-emphasized was we have to make turnovers, we have to make turnovers. It doesn’t matter what the situation, we have to make turnovers because those turnovers may just help us out. We cash out on one of them and not three but six, that makes a hell of a different ballgame.”

On the fumble recovery inside the red zone:
“I think that saved the game. That saved the game. If it wasn’t, it would’ve been 27-17 and we would’ve been stuck fighting but Comp [LB Will Compton] came through. Our captain came through and did what he needed to do and we got the ball back.”

REDSKINS CB KENDALL FULLER

On the defense forcing multiple turnovers:
“Definitely a good feeling. Guys just running to the ball, guys hustling, you know just trying to get the ball. That’s what we’ve got to do.”

On the changes made by the Browns’ offense and the Redskins’ defense:
“They just started making some plays. We’ve just got to gather, stay calm, just keep on fighting and come back and make some plays.”

On fighting back to a 2-2 record after a 0-2 start:
“I mean, it just says a lot about our coach, it says a lot about our team. We are going to keep on fighting and keep on getting better and we’re never going to slow down.”

REDSKINS LB WILL COMPTON

On the fumble recovery and defensive turnovers:
"We showed up when we needed to. [We] had three big turnovers in the second half. It helped our offense; they punched it in for us. Huge win. We needed that. We needed those big plays. We still have a long way to go, a lot to correct, but we showed up when we needed to.”

On the game not being decided at halftime after having a 14-point lead:
“It is disappointing. Like I said, we have some things to correct. We are going to watch the film, work on it and try to get it better every day – or get better every day, not try. Come ready next week against the [Baltimore] Ravens. Hats off to the Browns, they gave it a hell of an effort. They did a lot of different stuff. It was a good win.”

On winning at home:
“Absolutely, I get it. A lot of big key moments in the second half. Guys showed up when we needed them to show up. Again, hell of a team, but I am very excited about this win.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.