• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs Browns 2016: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

Opening statement and injury update:
"Alright, injury update: [Ryan] Kerrigan, elbow, sprained. He’s going to get an MRI on it. [David] Bruton [Jr.] and [Su’a] Cravens both had concussions. They are in the concussion protocol. And that’s it. I just want to say hats off to the Cleveland Browns and Hue Jackson. They came out and played a great game. We forced some key turnovers there at the end to help us get the win. Hard-fought games are never easy.”

On the defense:
“Well, we have to definitely look at ways to stop the run and find out where the holes are, I think. A lot of it has to do with Cleveland, man. [Joel] Bitonio and Joe Thomas had a good running game. [Isaiah] Crowell and Duke Johnson [Jr.] had a good scheme over there, so you’ve got to give credit to them, but then we have to figure out where we’re coming up short. Is it missing tackles at the second level, is it getting off blocks, is it getting pushed back too much on the double teams? We have to figure it out and figure out the answer and try to come up with some solutions. But, we do have to do better, but if you do give up some runs, we have talked about getting the ball out all the time. It’s what we’ve been preaching and Joe Barry and his staff have done a great job with the players about forcing key turnovers in critical times, so today is no different.”

On if there was a difference in RB Matt Jones’ running this game:
“Yeah, looked like it. Looked like he was running with more power and more conviction. You know, that’s the big thing as a back. You’re not going to make every correct decision and when you watch the film back and run it back, you could’ve cut here, you could’ve done this, but when you make a decision, make it and be decisive. And he was more decisive today and more physical.”

On if he feels Jones runs better with more attempts or if more attempts help him run better:
“Probably a little bit of both, you know. A big back like that runs better when the defense gets worn down and he gets in the flow of the game. It’s hard for a running back to get into the flow of the game with six attempts. With the type of game that we had today, we were able to give him more carries. He did a good job and took advantage of it.”

On if he did anything different in the execution of red zone plays with WR Jordan Reed’s two red zone touchdowns:
“We executed better. I think Kirk [Cousins] made a great play off-schedule in the second one. You know, it was a three-man rush, they covered up our initial concept. He bought time, two hands on the ball and kept his eyes down the field, and Jordan did a great of job getting open. The first one was just a coverage that we saw the safety on Jordan one-on-one. Jordan ran a great route, Kirk threw a great throw, and the line gave him great time. So those were two good plays for us.”

On the decision to not call a timeout at the end of the first half:
“Yeah, that’s a… see, they were at about the 33-yard line and they had some kicker issues before those three field goals. I knew if I called timeout they’d go for it, take a chance, so I just let the clock run down and regrouped at the half.”

On how he feels about the season so far:
"Well, I like the way we rebounded from being 0-2. Didn’t like being 0-2, but it’s good to get our first home win. I think there’s a lot of positives that we can draw from our four-game start and there’s a lot of things we can clean up. That’s probably going to be the case with every NFL coach out there now. So, it’s our job to keep them coached up and keep working, and it’s their job to want to come in and get better. That’s all we can do.”

On the offense:
“We had four possessions in the first half – two touchdowns and a field goal and that one play, a pick. We moved the ball; the clock was running on both sides of the ball, so there wasn’t a lot of opportunities. But the first interception on the third drive, that’s a decision we can’t make. Overall, I think our offense did a decent job, then we hit the hole in the second half, got a couple of penalties, stopped some drives, the offensive interference, and I think another holding call. But we just kept plugging along and made some plays when we had to.”

On QB Kirk Cousins’ game:
“I think he played OK. There’s a couple of situational-type things that we can’t do. We’ll coach him up. The more he plays, the more he’s going to do. The sack when we had the ball after the big run from Matt Jones, you’ve got to throw that away or can’t take a sack there. I think the interception, he’s just got to see coverage there and do a better job. But, he’s far from perfect. He’s never going to be perfect, but I think he’s made some good enough throws to get a big win against a good team.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.