• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dustin Hopkins Named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
September 28, 2016

DUSTIN HOPKINS NAMED NFC SPECIAL TEAMS
PLAYER OF THE WEEK

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced today that Washington Redskins kicker Dustin Hopkins has been named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance in the team’s Week 3 win against the New York Giants.

The honor is the first of Hopkins’ career and the 15th NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honor awarded to a member of the Redskins since the award’s inception in 1984. Hopkins became the first member of the Redskins to receive the honor for special teams since kicker Kai Forbath in Week 8 of the 2014 season.

Last week, Hopkins converted 5-of-5 field goal attempts in the Redskins’ 29-27 victory. His five field goals tied a team record set previously eight times, including most recently by Shaun Suisham on Nov. 4, 2007. Of the eight individual five-field-goal performances by Redskins kickers all-time, Hopkins’ game on Sunday marked only the fifth time a Redskins kicker accomplished the feat on only five attempts.

Hopkins is 11-for-11 on field goal attempts this season. He has successfully converted 15 consecutive field goal attempts in regular season play, dating back to last season, the longest streak of his career.

With Hopkins’ selection this week, Redskins players have won 89 NFC Player of the Week awards since the NFL started awarding weekly honors in 1984.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The most consistently good performing players on the team so far this year, are Hopkins & Way.

Not to be confused with Curds & Whey.

Hops should have had 6 but thanks to Kirk, no chance at the end of the half. He leads the league in FG's. Guess that means he leads league in scoring? Wonder what the NFL all time FG record for a season is.

Eh, I put the horrid clock management on Loser Gruden.

Twas he who cost us the 3, and could have, the game.

At first, I was against getting rid of Kai Forbath because he was fairly consistent on his field goals despite the short kickoffs.

But Hopkins has been a real surprise.

He is the real deal.

Honestly, his performance is what I was expecting when the Redskins drafted Zach Hocker a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, Hocker was a disappointment.

Along with Way, this is the best set of kickers the Redskins have had since the early Gibbs years.

IDK if he deserves it - how passes did he complete? :thewave: Both guys have been outperforming the rest of the team by far. Way doesn't have big yardage stats but because the offense tends to stall inside the opponents 50 he's been pooching a lot. But he has one more pass completion than Hopkins. QB controversy?

Hops should have had 6 but thanks to Kirk, no chance at the end of the half. He leads the league in FG's. Guess that means he leads league in scoring? Wonder what the NFL all time FG record for a season is.

IDK that it's necessarily a good thing when your kicker leads the league in FG's. Glad he's 100% but a lot of those are from the Red Zone. Not his fault and glad he isn't missing just would like to see the offense score more points than the kicker.

Didn't Moseley lead the league for a year or more, on some very high-powered Skins offenses ?

Yeah he did but the Redskins were scoring more TDs as a team then also, like you said high powered offenses.

Kickers usually lead the league in scoring when compared to individual players but they shouldn't be leading the entire team combined.
ex. Washington as a team so far this season 68 total points - 11 Fgs + 5 extra points is 38 points for the kicker; 30 for the team.
Atlanta as a team so far this season 104 total points - 6 FG's + 10 extra points is 28 for the kicker; 76 for the team.

Looking ahead to Sunday -
Cleveland as a team so far this season 54 total points - 4 FGs + 4 extra points is 16 for the kicker; 38 for the team
But their kicker has also missed 4 out of 8 which cost them big time last week against Miami when he missed three and the Browns went on to lose in OT. Plus he's missed an extra point.

So that's why I said may not be a good thing. Thinking more in the line of kicker versus team output than kicker versus individual output.

He is a money kicker - period. All you can ask of a kicker is to make the kicks he's asked to make. The rest is just Redskins fan angst and noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally the Skins have a good kicker. Surprised they didn't cut him so he could be super awesome for some other team...

Tress Way had to be in the running for dropping it oh so hot.

Hard to overstate how good Hopkins has been so far ... Sunday he was absolute money. It started with him routinely nailing the 49-yarder to start, and I can't recall the last time I felt as calm about a potential game-winner as I did when we lined up there at the end. Add to that the touchbacks and not having to deal with pucker-factor watching our coverage teams try to stay in their lanes, and I'm finally remembering what it felt like when guys like Moseley and Lohmiller where getting it done.

Keep your head down and follow through, Dustin.

Moseley had monster years in 1982 and 1983.

He basically got the team to the playoffs in 1982 along with the defense. The Redskins won games 13-9, 15-14, 12-7 with Moseley providing most if not all of the points in those games. It wasn't until the postseason that Riggins and Co. took over.

In 1983 he lead the NFL in scoring with 161 points.

Not bad for a guy who spent one season in Philadelphia as a low round draft choice in 1970 who was subsequently released.

Not the first time the Eagles gave us a player that ended up in the Ring of Honor.

Sonny Jurgensen, Jeff Bostic were others over the years.

Don't forget Mark's NFL MVP credential, exceptionally rare honor for a kicker.

yeah, that year he set the record for consecutive field goals.

the record was subsequently broken, but by players that have the advantage of playing late November and December games in indoor domed stadiums which Moseley did not for the most part.

Moseley made those game winning field goals in rain and snow storms, on muddy fields and often with crossing winds (Giants Stadium) and freezing temps.

Much different NFL today.

Some of the kickers today rarely kick outside in the elements.

You have NFC South teams where the Saints, Falcons play in domes and Tampa is 70 degrees in November. Only in Carolina, are there 'traditional' game conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.