• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Skins Quotes 9/18/16: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On injuries:
"Kedric Golston has a hamstring injury, he has an MRI. Will Compton had cramps, he returned. Preston Smith had his ankle, taped it up and he returned.”

On the level of frustration following the loss:
“Yeah, that’s what this game’s about, opportunities, and we had plenty. Hats off to Dallas and Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott. They played extremely well, and their defense, they made the plays when they needed to and we didn’t make the plays when we desperately needed it. Back to the drawing board. 0-2 at home is not the way we wanted to start, without a doubt, but still a lot of football is in front of us.”

On QB Kirk Cousins’ performance and fixing missed opportunities:
“I don’t know. We’ll work to do whatever we can to fix it, that’s for sure. We’re going to get back to the grind. We’ve got the New York Giants as soon as we leave here, so he can watch the tape, find out what’s going on if he’s not sure what the indecision might be, why he’s missing some throws, but you know, it’s a tough game. He’s got people around his feet. He’s got to make some tough throws and usually ones he would normally hit but he missed a few today. We’ll coach him up. Can’t put it all on Kirk, you know. There’s a lot of other issues that we had today, that’s for sure—coaching, playing, offense, defense, we all had our hand in that one.”

On the level of urgency for facing the New York Giants next week:
“I think every week you have a level of urgency in the National Football League, without a doubt, especially playing a division game on the road. Knowing that we’ve lost our first two games, not only our first two games, but our first two home games, is very, very important. We have to know where we are. We’re 0-2, we’re in last place and we have to get it turned around quick or the season can slip away from us if not. A lot of football left, like I said. We’re going to keep grinding and get back to work.”

On the reasoning behind throwing several fades:
“Well, a lot of times we see a one-on-one matchup. We like to take a chance with a fade or back shoulder fade. Sometimes when the box is loaded, we don’t feel like we have the numbers in our favor, and that’s something we need to work on and just plow it in there from the five. You know, I think in hindsight… but we did have Jordan Reed, Josh Doctson, Pierre [Garçon] – you know, great one-on-one matchups outside. I like to think I’ll take advantage of that any day all day, we just didn’t win them today.”

On Cousins’ interception:
“I don’t know what he saw on the interception. You know, I think we had a play called that I thought he saw, and I didn’t see who got it or what happened. I just saw that happen.”

On keeping the team positive:
“Yeah, I think we have a good group of guys that have strong will, and we faced adversity before. We faced it last year and unfortunately we faced it a little bit earlier than anticipated this year. Now it’s up to the men in the room, the coaches, and people to have belief and get back to work. That’s all we can do. We can hang our heads and cry all we want to but the fact of the matter is we’ve got a game 1:00 next Sunday, and it’s going to be a tough one against the Giants, who I think won today and they’re 2-0. Going to be a great game and we have a lot of pride and a lot of people who want to play and a lot of tough-minded players, good leaders. We’re going to come out fighting, that’s for sure.”

On play calling on third- and fourth-and-short:
“Third-and-1? Yeah, we just had an outside zone call and I thought we had a nice count look. And I think, I don’t know who it was, it might have been a three-technique or the linebacker snuck through there and put a big hit on Chris [Thompson] and then we thought we’d get the first down there. Unfortunately that’s fourth and about closer to two. It was closer to two than the one. So we got into a good formation block, felt like it was good matchups, and they played Cover 1 and we had good one-on-one matchups across. He chose Pierre [Garçon] going across the middle, and Sean Lee I think it was, made a good play.”

On if he felt like it was a 4-and-1:
“No, no, no. It was more of a one-and-a-half, two.”

On if Dallas took WR DeSean Jackson out of the game:
"I don’t know. I’ll have to watch the tape and see what happens. They played some zone and mixed in their man coverage. They gave us some different looks. We tried to get him the ball in a couple of good holes. We shot plays downfield. We did that and they played some zone. We had to check it down. That’s what football is all about. We have to take advantage of our zone coverages and he’s got to make the reads and throw it to the right guy. We get one-on-ones, he’s got to win. We have to make a throw and catch, and it didn’t happen consistently enough today.”

On what the Dallas game means to the fans and if this game stings a bit more:
“This game sticks in my craw no matter how you cut it when you lose at home to the Cowboys. I phase out the noise but I know how big this game is to a lot of people. The ownership group, the fan base—it hurts to let them down. It hurts to let the players down. This one will sting for a while, that’s for sure, but we have to get back to work.”

On if he can pinpoint the Redskins’ areas of regression:
“No, I can’t put my finger on them right now. I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. We have to fix them quick. I’m sure you guys will know the areas more than I will in the paper, but we will address everything that we think needs to be addressed, and that’s quite a lot.”

On the roughing the passer and false start penalties:
“The roughing the passer penalty it looked like Dak [Prescott] was a runner, so we’re allowed to go and try to tackle him. I don’t know why he had pocket protection when he was spinning around doing 360s—that’s a tough call. The false start at the end, I don’t know what happened there – the one on Kory [Lichtensteiger]. We have to fix those. We’re not a good enough team to overcome those.”

On CB Josh Norman:
“He moved around a little bit today. He was around a little bit today. I feel good about our corners. We just have to get the defense fixed up. Too many guys were wide open. Third down conversions were big plays. Easy throws and catches. We’ve got to challenge them, push them, play a little more coverage. We have to check it out. Hats off to Dak Prescott and that offensive line for Dallas and the receivers. I think they did a great job and we need to do better.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He forgot to say "We got to get the run game cranked up."

So the season comes down to the Giants game in NY, where we've been historically terrible, just three games in.

Nice.

Lose and at best we can only be 1-4 at the quarter pole and basically no shot at any postseason.

I shouldn't get aggravated or upset about this. We all should be used to this cause we're ALWAYS in this spot.

Here we go again......

You guys realize we started 3-5 last year, right - in fact, we were damn near 2-6. We can bounce back. It makes me sad that we lack any resilience as fans. I understand the pain - I am one of you. But it's bad enough that the media will thrill at the chance to kick this team every way it can come up with when its down. I'm not giving up on these guys. They showed me something last year and I believe they can do it again.

You guys realize we started 3-5 last year, right - in fact, we were damn near 2-6. We can bounce back. It makes me sad that we lack any resilience as fans. I understand the pain - I am one of you. But it's bad enough that the media will thrill at the chance to kick this team every way it can come up with when its down. I'm not giving up on these guys. They showed me something last year and I believe they can do it again.

20 years of conditioned thought.

On running the ball:
"Well ya see I'm a ****ing idiot. Why just this morning I put my pants on my head because I thought it was a shirt (laughing). Hell we figure if we keep the running backs attempts under 15 per game they'll stay fresh throughout the the day."

After Monday's bed shitting you'd be thinking he'd feed the rb's like crazy.

I've also noticed how Matt Jones never gets pulled or jerked around like Alfred Morris was last year.

That whole "rotating the rbs to keep them fresh" BS that was thrown around last year, seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

Now I do agree that you keep an rb in there to get his rythmn but even when Jones showed signs of getting hot, they still abandoned him.

Callahan is in charge of the run game. Randy Jordan is in charge of the backs and their rotation but McVay is in charge of playcalling.

Just how in the hell does that work? So far,it's not.

I know you're right, but I guess myself and many others just expected to look a bit more like the team that rebounded, not the one we started with. Freaking out helps some of us :)

I know you're right, but I guess myself and many others just expected to look a bit more like the team that rebounded, not the one we started with. Freaking out helps some of us :)

This.

On the rare occasions that this team rises up and gets above .500,they never seem to be able to carry that momentum over and build off of that.

This offseason, all the talk was:

Year 3 in the system.
Kirk getting all the reps.
"I'm as prepared as I've ever been"-Kirk
More comfortable with his receivers.
Understands the offense and the coaches better

All things that would lead one to logically believe we could at least be better than last season...especially on offense.

It never comes to fruition.

And it's sad and frustrating. And yes, this fanbase is as screwed up mentally as the starting QB of the Redskins is.

They've made us that way.

0-2 =i2% chance of playoff appearance historically. Hard to be excited about that given what we see on the field. No running game. Kirk looks like average Kirk. My resilience has been hammered out of me. I listened to the game while puttering on my shop instead of stopping down to watch. I got the NFL ticket this year and I'm completely ambivalent. We should have won this one. Rationally it's only two games in a long season, but I'm tired of trying to find positives. I'm ready for some results.

Run game??? What's this mysterious run thing you speak of?

Well at least they did run it more - they're up to 17 rushes today. Got that yards per carry up to 4.8, too. I wish they'd stop running so much, it has been fairly successful.

On if he can pinpoint the Redskins’ areas of regression:
“No, I can’t put my finger on them right now. I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. We have to fix them quick. I’m sure you guys will know the areas more than I will...

I'm sure your right coach.

On the reasoning behind throwing several fades:
"Obviously I thought we were at practice and, you know, not a real game. So the play wasn't working, obviously, but I just don't know any other plays. So it's something we have to work on and once we look at the tape we'll try to figure it out."
“Sometimes when the box is loaded, we don’t feel like we have the numbers in our favor, and that’s something we need to work on and just plow it in there from the five.

plow it in, right? That does mean run, correct? Wasn't the idea of gathering the big uglies was to go to a power running game?

The answer always seems to be, "Well I don't know what happened on that play. I need to look at the tape", no matter who answers a question about a single particular critical play. They didn't figure out why a play went horribly wrong during the game? There are (or should be) people on staff to help with that.

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah.

Hope McCloo is working on a short list for our next head coach.

Boone, you're gonna laugh, but I actually agree with you. :)

I'm not particularly disappointed or surprised. I guess because I was more pessimistic about our outlook this year than most. I still think 8-8 is where we'll end up.

Based on how far into rebuilding we were last year I thought 9-7 was a pleasant surprise. So I suspect improving on that 9-7 record this year would be another pleasant surprise. This is only McLovin's second year. He said he needs five. So ... meh.

Now, if you ask me what I think of Gruden, well, he continues to look like Norv Turner a lot: Great ideas, lousy execution. His treatment of the running game is actually worse this year than it was last year, and it's killing this team. I have to hope and expect he'll figure that out and when he does we might actually win some games. Until then, we'd better hope Kirk Cousins manages to flip The Switch and put this team entirely on his shoulders and drag it to some wins, because our defense is clearly not ready yet.

In any case, I'm not heading for the river. This team was never going to be that good. And that's ok.

I'm not giving up yet... my disappointment yesterday was more because it was Dallas, not because of the loss in general. Do I think we can bounce back? My friends call me the eternal optimist. I think we can win any game... until we lose. Don't have much else to be positive about. This is the one part of the year I really look forward to, and despite the emotional roller coaster, I have to think that he powers that be in the football world will at some point reward my-- and my fellow fans'--loyalty and belief.

Boone, you're gonna laugh, but I actually agree with you. :)

I'm not particularly disappointed or surprised. I guess because I was more pessimistic about our outlook this year than most. I still think 8-8 is where we'll end up.

Based on how far into rebuilding we were last year I thought 9-7 was a pleasant surprise. So I suspect improving on that 9-7 record this year would be another pleasant surprise. This is only McLovin's second year. He said he needs five. So ... meh.

Now, if you ask me what I think of Gruden, well, he continues to look like Norv Turner a lot: Great ideas, lousy execution. His treatment of the running game is actually worse this year than it was last year, and it's killing this team. I have to hope and expect he'll figure that out and when he does we might actually win some games. Until then, we'd better hope Kirk Cousins manages to flip The Switch and put this team entirely on his shoulders and drag it to some wins, because our defense is clearly not ready yet.

In any case, I'm not heading for the river. This team was never going to be that good. And that's ok.

This was a game we should have dropped to our knees to thank God for. And we should have won convincingly. A 4th Round rookie in his second start, first start on the road.

Let that sink in for a second.

Which QB looked calmer? More prepared? More in control?

I'm in line with the general sense of your post, Henry; but this game should have been as close to a given as you are ever going to get in the NFL. Yesterday was an embarassment to the franchise and the fans. Abject humiliation.

Whether Dak is the second coming of Joe Montana or not, we sure made him look like Joe Cool yesterday.

I know what you're saying Boone, but have to agree with Pete. With way we ended last year, plus Cousins and Co. having a full off season together, I expected better. Not great, but better.

This was a game we should have dropped to our knees to thank God for. And we should have won convincingly. A 4th Round rookie in his second start, first start on the road.

Let that sink in for a second.

Which QB looked calmer? More prepared? More in control?

I'm in line with the general sense of your post, Henry; but this game should have been as close to a given as you are ever going to get in the NFL. Yesterday was an embarassment to the franchise and the fans. Abject humiliation.

Whether Dak is the second coming of Joe Montana or not, we sure made him look like Joe Cool yesterday.

We were loaded up to stop the run. The Cowboys had NO fear of the run. Makes a difference.

Cousins looked better against the Browns in his first rookie start than Dak did yesterday. Sometimes a kid doesn't know what he doesn't know.

It's not the loss or lack of likely playoff prospects that really bothers me. (well the loss sucks given my geo location :) ) I have no issue being beat by more talented teams, and right now that should be happening given where we are with the rebuild. I know rationally there's still a lot of rebuild left, but the mistakes and lack of a real running game disturb me. Mainly it disturbs me about the coaching, and I really want Gruden to be the guy. Stability there would be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.