• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This upcoming draft is not the 2000 draft..

Call me Ismail

The Rookie
Reaction score
...where the Redskins had 2 top picks and essentially a complete offense (QB, RB, WRs, TE, rest of o-line) in place and could draft Chris Samuels at number 3

In 2000 Chris Samuels was the correct pick to add to an offense which was explosive in 1999. He solidified the blind side of an established QB, with established parts on the rest of the line (Tre Johnson, Jon Jansen, Keith Sims, etc, a good line in 1999)

This coming offseason, the entire o-line needs an overhaul. A new QB needs to be put into place. RB is a big questions mark

As I posted on the other board, a top o-lineman is not necessary for winning a Superbowl. In fact, this decade only 7 of the 50 starting o-lineman on Superbowl winning teams was a first round pick, while 12 of the 50 were UDFAs.

You do need to start with a QB, and then draft MANY o-lineman the rest of the way, and keep drafting o-lineman in each draft. The o-line is a 5 man unit which needs to better then sum of its parts. You can have an elite LT, but a garbage RT (because of how much money you invest in said LT) and your line is not up to par

See the 2008 Redskins with Chris Samuels playing at a high level, but Jansen/Heyer unable to hold down the right side.

A QB on the other hand is one person. You don't have a 2nd QB out there to mask a weakness. He needs to be the man, and in the 21st century NFL you need a top flight QB to win the Superbowl. You won't see Superbowl winning QBs such as Hostetler, and Rypien playing behind dominant o-lines.

In the 2000 draft Chris Samuels made perfect sense. He was really the last piece needed for an offense which was elite the year before.

This year you need many pieces, but none more important then a franchise QB to compete in the 21st century NFL.

If you trade back and grab a guy like Tony Pike and accquire a bunch of picks and then draft most of the remaining picks on O-line and RB (yes we need to draft at least 1 RB).

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

However, finding a good LT in a division that has Ware, Cole and Osi is very important.

We also have to account some trades here as well.
You figure Campbell and Rogers (montgomery also I suppose) would be RFAs and could be tendered for some picks.

I would trade Landry for a third right now in a heartbeat.....

So it depends on a)How many picks we have by the draft (we might trade too) b) How many picks we gain via trade/tender/comp. picks c) who's out there (deep draft, not so deep draft on position) d) who really stands out on film/workouts/bowls/combine (ie where these guys rank) e) who fits our new scheme and how valuable would that player to be to make the scheme work and f) who we get rid of and who we bring in during free agency.

Many questions will start to be answered during free agency.

Bottom line - we've got lots of needs, and we need to draft value. The rebuilding of this team is, at minimum, 3 drafts away. I think you have to keep a sharp eye out for your starting/potential franchise QB and you pick him where you find him, be it this coming draft or year 2. Had we not pissed half our draft away already, we'd still have plenty of picks to help rebuild the trenches. That's going to be harder now.

Well,
I still think Jarmon was a great move as our 3rd round pick, hope he recovers form the ACL injury.

That 6th round pick hurts though. We've found some solid talent and depth there like Doughty over the past few years.

There may be some legitimacy in the idea of a franchise QB. According to your post on the other site, you make a strong case for Bradford. If we have a 3, 4 or 5 pick in this upcoming draft, can you seriously suggest that Sam Bradford who missed his final year in college because of a serious shoulder injury would be a wise choice with that pick?

Like I have mentioned in another thread, I don't think Okung is necessarily worthy of such a high pick. In fact I don't believe anyone except Ndamokung Suh is worthy of a pick that high in this year's draft.

In my estimation, trading down is the only viable option we have this year. It would afford us a shot at several lineman or even Bradford if he indeeds drops like he should because of his injuries.

What would be even more foolish is to draft someone like Colt McCoy or Jimmy Clausen with such a high pick.

Just hope we get young players in FA, then go from there. I like the trade down scenerio; there are some good OL who will probably be drafted between 10 and 30. I think it might be hard to find a trade partner though. My Prediction: We win the off season again this year.

I agree that this is a 3 year rebuilding. I don't expect to be a competitive team until 2012.

However, once 2012 comes around, I want the team ready to roll for a decade. Multiple division titles in a row, NFC Title games, Superbowl wins.

You need a franchise, or should I say Samchise QB to do it.

We also need LOTS of o-lineman. 2-3 in each draft for the next 3-4 years at least.

MY whole point has been, drafting a LT in the top 5 is not the route for this team to currently take, like it was in 2000.

You need a franchise, or should I say Samchise QB to do it...

...MY whole point has been, drafting a LT in the top 5 is not the route for this team to currently take, like it was in 2000.

I got that part and I agree, I don't think spending a 3rd, 4th or 5th on a LT is the right move when so much more needs to be addressed and Okung does not appear to be a dominant LT like Samuels, Ogden, Pace or Long. I was just wondering if you really thought Bradford is worth a pick that high in light of his injuries?

I want to trade down.

Trading down from 6 is not as likely as from 3 (if lucky), 4 or 5. If Suh fell to us, we would have more teams interested for sure.

An uncapped season could bring more significant trades...This team could be reshaped quickly...And maybe be competitive sooner.

An uncapped season could bring more significant trades...This team could be reshaped quickly...And maybe be competitive sooner.

It could also delay the process some which I consider more likely. Due to the lack of a CBA a player will need 6 seasons of service rather than 4 to be a FA which means there will be fewer guys on the market and the ones who are will be older.

It could also delay the process some which I consider more likely. Due to the lack of a CBA a player will need 6 seasons of service rather than 4 to be a FA which means there will be fewer guys on the market and the ones who are will be older.
That's an interesting note...If a team is going to be aggressive, I think that points to more trades now without cap restrictions to get younger players instead of older FAs.

Relax folks. With Shanahan aboard, the Redskins are still looking at a rebuild.

This is not going to be a one year turnaround from 4-12 to 12-4.

The Redskins need to go into the draft and much as Bill Parcells did in Miami, go after the best players he could find at positions where the talent was not NFL caliber.

So, if the Redskins decide to draft a tackle in Round 1 and a quarterback in Round 2 as Parcells did, that's fine.

If they decide to take a quarterback to build around, then draft a OT in Round 2 and sign another 2 mid-tier younger free agents to augment the OL, that's fine too.

But in any case, this is a two year project IMO.

If all goes well in the offseason in 2010 and the April draft and these players produce then you are looking at the 2011 offseason to make moves that will really vault the team back into a competitive position.

By that time a rookie quarterback will have a year under his belt in the NFL or a veteran signed in FA or acquired through trade will be thoroughly familiar with the offense and the personnel.

The Redskins likely won't get a Chris Samuels look-alike.

Tackles that go to 6 pro bowls are not to be had each year in the draft.

But the Redskins don't need a HOF tackle.

They need solid performers like the Giants, Colts and Eagles have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.