• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Chris Cooley's Film Breakdown

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Did anyone listen to his entire breakdown yet for the first game?

I know his rating on Cousins was F.

I'm interested in knowing how he graded everyone else.

I'm guessing that the rest of it was something like this :

600113.jpg

I'd guess it was:

O-line pass blocking: A or A+. (43 passes, 0 sacks)
O-line run blocking: C

Desean: A
Reed: A-

And then the bad ones......

:peep:
I just love this place after a bad loss.

Is there actually such a thing as a good loss?

Maybe a 38-37 loss because of a missed 65yard FG attempt with no time left on the clock is a good one.... no?

Nobody likes to see their team in it's 3rd year of a coaching reign look like the JV team getting their asses beat, and their girlfriends stolen by the varsity squad, in front of the world.

:peep:
I just love this place after a bad loss.

Is there actually such a thing as a good loss?

Maybe a 38-37 loss because of a missed 65yard FG attempt with no time left on the clock is a good one.... no?

Nah. They all suck. :)

Though if, say, our passing game looked as good as it did last year and we lost a shootout there'd be something to hang our hats on this week. As it stands, we kinda have to hope the entire first week was a just a fluke.

And hey, it could very well be. The first week is always wacky.

I'd just feel a little better if it were wacky in our favor for once. :)

Part of the problem is there is absolutely no consistency. It may be a season to season league but this is a week to week team.

Outside of several core players you don't get production each and every week from many of these guys.

They lose one week 28-7 and win the next 35-17.

There is no real feeling that this team is building on anything substantial.

Cousins still looks like a guy that is over-awed by facing the league's premiere quarterbacks.

He had crappy games against Newton, Brady, Rodgers last year and that is the way it's starting in 2016.

Roethlisberger and Co really outclassed the Redskins.

That wounded duck pass on the Steelers 5 yard line is something you don't expect to see in college games.

Maybe part of the flippy-floppy on a week-to-week basis is a pattern that they have had consistently. Never run the ball if your behind. Could be 1 point or 10 or 100 it's one thing that Jay & company have done consistently.
Try to mask the fact that they can't stop the run by giving opponents opportunities in the passing game. Didn't work last week, the Steelers ran the ball anyway and passed at will.

Here's our defensive line, you all tell me if you expect a lock down defense:

Chris Baker (undrafted free agent)
Ricky Jean Francois (former #7 round pick of 49ers - street free agent from Colts)
Kedric Golston (33 year old former #6 round pick in 2006)
Kendall Reyes (PFF's lowest rated starting DE in 2015 while in San Diego - street free agent)
Cullen Jenkins (35 year old, 13 year veteran - starter on 2015 Giants defense that statistically was worst in franchise history)
Matt Ionnadis (#5 draft pick in 2016 that failed to make the final 53 man roster, cleared waivers and is now on the practice squad - when he was drafted there was talk about him being a potential 2016 contributor)
Anthony Lanier (undrafted free agent - some pass rush ability and good athleticism - a guy saved for the future - that's fine!)

So, other than Lanier ALL of these other guys were expected to make some positive contributions in 2016 despite their lack of pedigree.

The only player we used a high pick on for the DL, Jarvis Jenkins, was a disappointment and allowed to depart in free agency in 2015.

Seems as if we once again have to go back to the drawing board and look in Rounds 1, 2 and 3 to stock our DL with some blue and red chip prospects that Scot keeps talking about.

You can find individual undrafted players or late rounders that beat the odds and make it, but that is the exception in the NFL not the rule.

Overall I get what your sayin' BT but I would say Matt Ionnadis was more 'hoping' he could contribute rather than 'expecting'. They knew when they drafted him that when he had played NT in college he was probably average at best. I think what they are expecting to do is possibly groom him for that role and if it doesn't work out he's still a good lineman for the future. Kinda like they did with Dunbar. There's still a WR in there somewhere, might take a little work to get to it after being on Defense but the move to CB was a crap shoot to start with.

I guess most teams probably should take a lineman (offensive or defensive) with one of their top 4 picks every year. Not all those guys are ready to play out of the box and probably need some training time and the team needs to be prepared for injuries - they happen. If they pick that way - you replace both lines every ten years all else being equal. Drafting - they have overloaded on pass rushers within those top picks but not so much with interior DL.

Top 4 picks:

20083rdOT Chad Rinehart20091stDE Brian Orakpo20101stOT Trent Williams20111stDE Ryan Kerrigan20112ndDT Jarvis Jenkins
20123rdOG Josh LeRibeaus 2013NoneCB, TE S20142ndDE Trent Murphy20143rdOT Morgan Moses20143rdOG Spencer Long
20151stOG Brandon Scherff 20152ndDE Preston Smith20154thOG Arie Kouandijo 2016NoneWR, SS, CB

So none last year but 2 guards and a DE 2015. So I guess you could toss Smith out because he was drafted as an LB but also as a pass rusher.
2 Guards and a DE in 2014. For Trent, same as above. But these guys have played as a DE with their hands in dirt and drafted as pass rushers.
2013 - none but they absolutely needed secondary help and Reed was too good a deal to pass up. Also no 1st round pick. Thomas and Amerson turned out not helping so much.
2012 -1 Guard
2011 - DE & DT. Kerrigan drafted as an OLB but another blitzer and eventual replacement for 2009 #1 pick
2010 - OT Trent Williams. Only 1 defensive player taken in the whole draft (Riley) out of 6 picks.
2009 - Orakpo; listed as an OLB but another pass rusher.
2008 - 1 Guard

So that's nine drafts, 7 offensive linemen (4 since 2014), 5 pass rushers which one could probably list as either lineman or linebacker but they typically played on the outside line.
Eight of those guys still with the team and at least 6 are starting.
Jarvis Jenkins the only interior defensive lineman. They have only drafted a handful below those first 4 rounds and only 1 (Brandon Jenkins) since 2012.
Other than Kerrigan (Smith unknown yet), their pass rushers have lasted for about 1 season before being a flameout.
One interior Defensive lineman during that time with a top 4 pick, maybe should have had another 1 or 2 in there. Hindsight 20-20 maybe but overdue. I wouldn't say give up the pass rushers entirely but three (or four if you prefer) Chris Baker types and you don't need to blitz so much.

BT, is that a coaching issue (I hope so) or is that a GM issue?

Or is that an everyone just needs to be patient, and don't point fingers issue?

I don't really think you can count taking small, college DEs with the expressed purpose of turning them into OLBs as drafting Dlinemen.

The Redskins haven't really purposely addressed the Dline high(first three rounds) in a draft in over 20+ years.

Takes more than 2 drafts to rebuild a team - isn't that the bottom line? I still believe we are moving in the right direction. If we still have major holes in the roster in 2 years I'll be calling for heads but not until then. Last season accelerated our expectations. But we still have a lot of needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build with the qb and the two lines first.

The 2016 draft was all about drafting skill players when the real deficits here are quality on the DL and depth on the OL.

If you have a solid front you can acquire solid but unspectacular corners like Pittsburgh or Green Bay and still be a contender.

In my mind we needed to come up with upgrades on DL either in draft or free agency.

As with running back we did little to improve on the DL since 2015 and it shows on the field.

Matt Jones has shown enough to have been given a starting job with no real competition?

Count me in with Cooley that Kelley has as good if not better chance to stick in the NFL as he doesn't run upright and has good vision and awareness running between the tackles.

Jones is a poster boy great overall athlete that seems to have limited natural instincts to play RB in the NFL.

I recall during the draft a number of outlets had Jones as a 5-7th round pick.

The Redskins took him much earlier and so far he looks like a 7th rounder, raw with a lot of work to do just to be solid, forget being a pro bowler or upper echelon player.

Takes more than 2 drafts to rebuild a team - isn't that the bottom line?

Build with the qb and the two lines first..

Yes it takes more than two years to rebuild a team but the problem with the Washington Redskins always seems to be(over the last 25 years) that no matter who is in charge of player personnel, they always prefer to draft skill positions and pay lip service to the lines.

Winning clubs do not ignore their Dline for 20 yr spans in the draft.

It always seems like they get distracted from fixing the real problem.

"It's a big man's game." "You win up front in this league."

Sounds good, right? But come Draft Day it's: "OOOOOOhhhh!! Look at that tall WR! Let's get him!"

Or "This linebacker...he's fast! But he's kind of small. Get him and let's revolutionize the position!"

Now Joe Barry can't figure out how to get his best corner on the other teams best receiver, do you really think he's an innovator??

lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.