• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Doc's Blast from the Past

Docsandy

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Rev up the DeLorean... we're going back in time. I'll be posting articles regarding the Redskins from the past, some well known, some not-so-well known. Hope you enjoy.

These first two are articles from 75 years of the NFL

75 Seasons 1920-1995: The Complete Story of the National Football League
Introduction by Dick Butkus
Text by: Will McDonough, Peter King, Paul Zimmerman, Vic Carucci, Greg Garber, Kevin Lamb, Joe Gergen, David Rosenthal, C.W. Nevius, Ed Bouchette, Ted Brock, Tom Barnidge, Phil Barber
p. 261
The Few, The Proud, The Hogs
The It was the spring of 1983. Bob Winckler, a 290-pound offensive lineman from the University of Wisconsin, freshly picked by the Washington Redskins in the sixth round of the NFL draft, had a goal. “To be able to say you’re a Hog… let’s just say it’s something I would really want.”
No. There was no “wanting” to become a Hog. Once the original Hogs had acquired their porcine nickname during training camp in 1982, the fraternity was locked. It started one day on the practice field, where offensive coordinator Joe Bugel said, “Okay, you hogs, let’s go down to the bullpen and hit those blocking sleds.”
Some players might have resented the name, but these guys loved it. From that moment, a camaraderie began to build: Hogs T-shirts were to be worn one day a week at practice, with violators forced to pay a $5 fine that went into a kitty for a postseason party; Hogs poker games every Friday night; satin Hogs jackets to wear on road trips.
Pay attention to the five interior Hogs’ dimensions: center Jeff Bostic (6 feet 2 inches, 245 pounds), left guard Russ Grimm (6-3, 275), right guard Mark May (6-6, 285), left tackle Joe Jacoby (6-7, 295), right tackle George Starke (6-5, 260), plus tight ends Don Warren and Rick Walker. Reserves Donald Laster and Fred Dean were Hogs, too. Toward the end of the season, running back John Riggins became an honorary Hog.
During that 1982 season, which was shortened to nine games by a 57-day players’ strike, the Hogs imprinted their collective image on the NFL consciousness by leading Washington to an 8-1 record.

Love this - awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx, Doc. Don't stop now, your ona roll!

Does anyone ever sit and wonder if those Hogs played in the current NFL, and all the evolutions of the game, whether the Hogs would be as successful in today's game ?

Interesting question.. logic states that if Boone is right and we are in a "passing era", doubtful... as the hogs were more known for making lanes for rushers. But I'd like to think that if they WERE around, we'd still be a rushing team because no one could stop us :)

Interesting question.. logic states that if Boone is right and we are in a "passing era", doubtful... as the hogs were more known for making lanes for rushers. But I'd like to think that if they WERE around, we'd still be a rushing team because no one could stop us :)

They also had a bulldozer in the backfield. Helped a bit.

By today's standard for OLineman size; da Hogs on average as a group are more Pig sized. Of course Jacoby - huge but outside of him the line averaged about 275. Big guys back then but these days, I don't know, what's the average for any team, 300 or so? Pulling a Guard is something they did a lot. Other teams knew it was coming, knew Riggins was going to follow, but couldn't do anything to stop it. I think the talent is there but they'd most likely get blown up in Pass protection. And they'd need to have a road grader behind them with the rock.

They also had a bulldozer in the backfield. Helped a bit.

By today's standard for OLineman size; da Hogs on average as a group are more Pig sized. Of course Jacoby - huge but outside of him the line averaged about 275. Big guys back then but these days, I don't know, what's the average for any team, 300 or so? Pulling a Guard is something they did a lot. Other teams knew it was coming, knew Riggins was going to follow, but couldn't do anything to stop it. I think the talent is there but they'd most likely get blown up in Pass protection. And they'd need to have a road grader behind them with the rock.

All good points. I guess I was using the assumption all else would be equal (i.e., we would have a bulldozer in the backfield, etc.). Size, true, is an issue in today's game but who's to say the guys wouldn't have bulked up? I guess I'm throwing straws in. But realistically speaking, you make good points.

For the second Blast From The Past....

Let's see what Slingin' Sammy Baugh thinks of the NFL passing game or thought in the mid-1990's...and who knew his nickname did NOT come from his football passing but from baseball?

From: 75 Seasons 1920-1995: The Complete Story of the National Football League

Introduction by Dick Butkus
Text by: Will McDonough, Peter King, Paul Zimmerman, Vic Carucci, Greg Garber, Kevin Lamb, Joe Gergen, David Rosenthal, C.W. Nevius, Ed Bouchette, Ted Brock, Tom Barnidge, Phil Barber
p. 84-85
Slingin’ Tales With Sammy
The voice has the slightest touch of Texas twang, and it is strong, stronger than you’d expect from an 80-year-old throat. Not quite signal-calling strong, but sharp and biting and quick.

Sammy Baugh is on the other end of the phone from his ranch in north Texas, and you can’t believe how good he sounds.

“I love this football they play today,” the player of the forties says. “I really do. But I always laugh when the writers and broadcasters talk about something in the game and it’s new. Hell, I haven’t seen anything new in years and years. When I was in college at TCU, we had a short-passing game, and I brought it with me to Washington. Today they talk about San Francisco like the short-passing game is some new invention. And the Shotgun. We used it at Washington.”

So the game was just as good half a century ago?

“Naw,” he says. “I like the game in this day and time better because you can specialize more, and you can have better players on the field at almost all times. In the forties, there was no real speed. When I played, you went both ways, so if there was a guy with good speed, he was so dog-tired by the fourth quarter that it just became a slow quarter. Do you realize we had twenty-three-man rosters? A lot of good offensive boys didn’t make teams because they couldn’t play defense. And some of the good players didn’t look as good because they never got a rest.

“Besides that, we had some of the craziest rules you ever saw. When I broke in in thirty-seven, you could hit a quarterback until the whistle blew. So you know what every team was told? 'When the ball is thrown, you chase the quarterback and put him on the ground.’

“Late in my career, around 1948, I had a roommate, a rookie quarterback named Harry Gilmer. We’re sitting in the room one night and he says, 'Do you realize you’re moving ninety-five percent of the time you throw?”

“I say, 'Of course. When I got into football, if you stayed in one spot and threw, you’d get killed.”
Some of the game’s all-time greats flourished in the forties. The mighty Cleveland teams of the All-American Football Conference were born in 1946, and they produced one of the best backs ever, Marion Motley, and one of the best two-way linemen, Bill Willis. Both, coincidentally, were black men instrumental in breaking the color barrier in pro football.

Halfback Steve Van Buren won three straight rushing titled playing for the Eagles, and George Halas had a back who might have set enduring records had his career not been interrupted by World War II; George McAfee led the Bears to three of their four NFL championships in the decade. McAfee ran behind center Clyde (Bulldog) Turner in each of those championship seasons. The best pass catcher of the early forties, Don Hutson of Green Bay, gave way to two receiving gems of the post-war era, Cleveland’s Dante Lavelli and Philadelphia’s Pete Pihos.

The decade’s unlikeliest hero was Van Buren, who won four NFL rushing titles after getting cut from his high school team because he was a 125-pound weakling. After working in an iron foundry in Louisiana for two years, he played one high-school season well enough to merit a scholarship at LSU. Van Buren joined the Eagles in 1944, and they depended on him like few teams ever depended on a player: He had 59 touchdowns in his first six seasons, unparalleled among runners of that era.

Philadelphia’s backup quarterback in1947, Allie Sherman, learned a pointed lesson about Van Buren’s impact. After Van Buren had bulled for most of one drive and led the Eagles to the opponent’s 3, Sherman handed the ball to the Eagles’ other back, Joe Muha, who was stopped short of the goal line. Then he gave it to Van Buren, who scored off left tackle.

“What the hell are you trying to do?” demanded the coach, Earle (Greasy) Neale, when Sherman came off the field.

“We scored six points,” Sherman said. “Was that wrong?”

“Yes!” Greasy grouched. “You didn’t give the ball to Van Buren every time!”

It was a sobering decade, too. With the Bears off to a 5-0 start in 1942, coach George Halas and backup quarterback Young Bussey left for active war duty. Halas came back in 1945 and resumed coaching in 1946. Bussey was killed in action in '’45. In all, 21 NFL players or former players died in World War II.

It was a decade that saw the decline of the 60-minute player. Mourn the loss of the every-down player if you must, but as Baugh says: “I’m telling you, it wasn’t a better game with the two-way players.”

Baugh knows. He saw it all. From the dusty ranches of central Texas hecame east to Washington in 1937. After 16 seasons, he left a mark time never will erase. Then he returned to his ranch in Rotan, Texas, which he still works today.

In the true tradition of the Lone Star State, Baugh was bigger than life.He played 60 minutes in most games of his prime, which at the time was nothing remarkable in itself. But Baugh was a decathlete on the football field. At varying times, he was the best defensive back, quarterback, and punter of his era.

In 1943, Baugh had the best season a pro football player ever had. In a 48-10 victory over Brooklyn, he set an NFL record with 6 touchdown passes. Two weeks later,he set another NFL mark–since equaled, never surpassed—with 4 interceptions from his safety position against Detroit. He led the league in passing, punting and interceptions. We rave today, rightfully, about Deion Sanders playing both ways in a game. We should rave, n retrospect, about Sammy Baugh.

He seemed to have a sense for the game that was unmatched. In the 1942 NFL Championship Game, the Redskins were playing the perfect (11-0) Bears.. Several times in the game, Baugh had quick-kicked to get his team out of trouble. Trailing 6-0 in the second quarter, the Redskins got the ball for the first time with the wind at their backs. Baugh caught the Bears off guard when, on first down, from the Washington 28, he faked a pass and launched a 61-yard punt that pinned Chicago at its 11.

“If you were struggling and not moving the ball, and you had the wind with you,” Baugh said,” you could gain thirty-five, forty yards on a change of possession with a quick-kick.”

The Bears turned over the ball on an interception thrown by Sid Luckman. Washington scored and went on to upset the Bears 14-6.

Baugh’s 51.4-yard punting average in 1940 still stands as the NFL record.

And though the decade belonged to Halas and the Bears in a team sense—Chicago was in five title games in the forties, winning four—Baugh stood tallest among his contemporaries.

“Sammy Baugh was the best player ever,” Luckman, himself a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, said years later. “No one will ever equal him.”

“I no more believe that than nothing,” Baugh says. “It’s a wonderful thing for Sid to say, and I appreciate it immensely, but I don’t believe it. I’ll tell you the best I ever saw: Ace Parker. Played for Brooklyn, and he would have been an all-timer if he hadn’t gotten hurt. He could punt, he could pass, he could run, he could play defense. I mean, he could do it all.”

Which just points out another trait that made Sammy Baugh the best: humility.

So, just out of curiousity - how many knew there was a 23 man roster back then, and that damn near every starter played on both offense and defense? And think about today - if 21 current NFL stars were killed in a war effort? It's unimaginable. And it's hard to imagine today, but during Baugh's time, the Bears were almost invincible.

Diron Talbert and the Cowboys

Okay..I know I just posed the Slingin' Sammy article... but after tonight's game, I know we are all feeling some degree of disappointment. Bottom line, it is one game. I'm not panicking...yet. However after typing up this article, I wonder if this team has a leader like Talbert... someone to get them pumped up... as he said, at the time Gibbs had the talent to go far. We, however, do not...yet. The last one I remember actually is Santana Moss..

Next week the DeLorean will need some extra plutonium as it's traveling back to the 1940s... specifically 1942... a championship season during the war era.

From GameDay Magazine
Redskin Edition
Volume 49, Number 9, November 23, 1986

When It Came to Fightin’ Cowboys, No Redskin Flung Arrows Mightier Than Talbert
By: Steve Goback​

Here it is six years since Diron Talbert left the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys fans still boo him at Texas Stadium.

“I’ll tell you,” said Talbert, still laughing, “they invited me to play at halftime earlier this year in a flag football game at Texas Stadium between former Dallas players and what they called the NFL All-Stars. The last three guys they introduced were Ken Houston, Billy Kilmer and me. And those Dallas fans started booing—and they booed me all the way until I got to the middle of the field. And they kept booing until they started introducing the Cowboys.

“You wouldn’t believe it,” Talbert continued with a roar. “It was the funniest thing you ever would see in your life. Anyway, we played 12 solid minutes without a huddle and we beat them 12-6. Right at the end of the game they were really punching trying to get another touchdown. Kilmer was 10-for-10 and we laughed our heads off.”

Nobody ever epitomized the Dallas-Washington rivalry more than Talbert, the loud quotable guy with a thick moustache, a tobacco chaw puffed in his cheek and a sweaty cloth cap pulled down low over his brow. He played 10 years with the Redskins, from 1971 to 1980, and each was memorable.

Nowadays, Talbert makes his home in Houston and, with appropriate irony, is co-owner of a hotel and restaurant supply company in, of all places, Irving, Tex., just down the street from Texas Stadium. He also is part owner of a lamp manufacturing company with world-wide headquarters in Houston and a plant in Paducah, Ky. And he is in the investment business with his brothers and owns two Holiday Inns

“I’m busier than I’ve ever been in my life,” said Talbert, with obvious justification. The good thing is that he never is too busy that he can’t spin a yarn and laught.

The people who look upon Jim McMahon’s headband as something new and daring need to be told a little about Talbert, the defensive tackle who did roughly the same thing a decade ago—with engineer’s caps. Talbert started a trend and, just like McMahon, briefly raised Pete Rozelle’s wrath.

“It started when I was with the Los Angeles Rams,” Talbert explained. “On the West Coast with the sun, you needed to wear a hat. A friend of mine owned a welding shop and every year I’d pick up a bunch of welding hats. I’d buy about $200 of the welding hats and pass them out, just for the hell of it.

“Then when I was traded to the Redskins, a guy with the Goodyear Tire store gave me about 150 of their hats, and I passed them out to the players, coaches and everybody. That year we played on Monday night—and for the introductions here came Brundige, and Fischer and Kilmer and everybody with their Goodyear hats on camera. Well, the NFL outlawed them for introductions, but Consolidated Freight sent me a bundle of their hats and then Budweiser, and the thing just kept snow-balling . . .”

Talbert paused and laughed. “I’ve got about 10 or 15 boxes of hats in my house now, some of which I’ve never even worn.

Talbert, old No. 72, always was a natural leader and that never was more evident than the week before a Washington-Dallas football game. Talbert voiced an opinion on everybody in a Cowboys uniform from coach Tom Landry to quarterback Roger Staubach—“He can’t read defenses, so he’s got to scramble.” More than anybody, Talbert sparked the Redskins-Cowboys feud.

“You play better when you’re pumped up,” said Talbert,” and the way to do that is to find something wrong with the other team whether it’s the coach, the quarterback, the way they block or whatever. You convince yourself, the coaches convince you, and you convince your teammates that there’s really something you don’t like about those guys.

“We were always ready to play the Cowboys. The papers would compare the teams and Dallas’ defensive line would always be rated 'A’ and we’d always be rated 'B’. Then they’d rate the quarterbacks and Staubach was always an 'A’ and Kilmer would be a 'B-plus’ or something lower. That kind of stuff kind of kept you pumped up. We were more pumped up against the Cowboy than any team we played. And we beat them many years when they really were better than us man-for-man.”

Talbert paused. “Nowadays it isn’t like that anymore,” he continued. “”You’ve got two silent coaches. Joe Gibbs is a silent coach and Tom Landry is extra-silent. You’ve got two silent coaches with a lot of talent and they don’t need to work at getting pumped up like we did because they’ve got the talent to go a long ways.”

The funny thing is that nowadays Talbert and Staubach are great friends. “I never met him until I retired,” Talbert explained, “and he’s one of the nicest guys and has one of the nicest families you’d ever want to know. We said things about each other back when we were playing, but that was in the spirit of the game, the fun spirit.

“I always called the Cowboys organization a Gestapo-type organization because everybody was marching around just right, the helmets were shined up, the pants were just right . . .”

Or a guy who played 14 years in the NFL, Talbert’s trips to the football stadium nowadays are rare. “I hadn’t been in Texas Stadium since I retired, except for that flag football game. And I haven’t been over to see the Oilers, although they’re nearby in the Astrodome and they’ve got a very pleasant place to play. I watch the games on Monday night on TV, but on Saturdays and Sundays I’m involving in hunting and fishing and catching up on all the things I didn’t get todo all through college and pro ball. Catching up is what I’m doing.”

That means spending more time with his wife, Sue, and two children, Greg, 4, and Amanda, 10.

“Greg’s been after me to take him huntin,” said Talbert with a laugh, “and the jeep is all packed, and we’re gonna to do do it. I’ve worked real hard to have a good time and a good life, just trying to continue it the way it used to be. I’m happy.”

Somebody once asked Talbert when’s the best time to go fishing. “Anytime you can,” Talbert replied. That sums up his philosophy neatly.

The Cowobys-Redskins Rivalry -- as of 1986, the 50th anniversary of the Redskins

From GameDay Magazine
Redskin Edition
Volume 49, Number 9, November 23, 1986

Redskins and Cowboys Renew Series That America Waits and Watches For

In Hollywood, the Cowboys and Indians are always fighting it out. In the NFL, it’s basically the same. Except these Cowboys wear blue and grey and do their rompin’ in Dallas, and these Redskins wear burgundy and gold and do their hootin’ and hollerin’ in Washington.

But when they clash, no prisoners are taken. A mere mention of a Redskins-Cowboys game stirs the excitement in a football fan’s heart. No other rivalry in sports can equal it. The teams have met twice in the NFC Championship Game with the Redskins coming out on top both times. But the Cowboys have had their moments in this series also.

The unforgettable moments in the series are almost becoming too many to recount. “Sweeney, I’m coming over you.” That’s what quarterback Billy Kilmer barked in the huddle, just seconds before he scored in overtime on a quarterback sneak that beat the Cowboys in 1975.

If Staubach scrambles, he scrambles at his own risk.” That was George Allen’s battlecry of the early 70’s.

There was Ken Houston’s goal line stop of Walt Garrison, and Clint Longley’s unforgettable touchdown pass in the final minute on a Thanksgiving Day; and the time the Cowboys came back from a 13-point deficit in the final minute to knock the Redskins out of the playoffs and the NFC East title, 35-34.

Topping all thrills, of course, for Redskin fans, are the two NFC Championship victories in 1972 and 1982, respectively. The game on New Year’s Eve, 1972, was a memorable one for the Redskins as they dominated the Cowboys, 26-3, in RFK to earn a berth in Super Bowl VII {Note from Doc: This is the game from which I have one of my most pride possessions which some of you have seen pictures of—a Redskins goalpost pad} On that day, the Redskins were near perfect.

The 1982 Championship was the “Fans’ Super Bowl” as the Redskins turned back repeated Cowboy surges en route to a 31-17 win and a berth in Super Bowl XVII where they eventually captured the World Championship {Note from Doc: Was at this Super Bowl! Had pocket picked, lost all money, fellow fans paid for my cab to the airport but all was good as we won!} Who could possibly forget Dexter Manley batting the pass high in the air, and then Darryl Grant, comforting the ball in his arms, and high-stepping into the end zone? In each of the last two seasons, the Redskins have won Week 15 battles in Texas Stadium to take command of the Eastern Division race.

cowboyartpic1.jpgcowboyartpic2.jpg

MEMORIES . . . Here are capsules of some great Dallas-Washington games of just the last 15 years.

1971—Washington 20, Dallas 16—George Allen’s first contest against the Cowboys produces this win in the Cotton Bowl. Fullback Charley Harraway rushed for 111 yards in a driving rain, including a 57-yard first quarter TD.

1972—Washington 26, Dallas 3—The Redskins won their first championship in 30 years and a trip to the Super Bowl with this near-flawless New Year’s Eve gem {Doc’s note: Was at this game!} The Redskins stopped the Cowboys with only eight first downs and got two touchdown passes from Billy Kilmer to Charley Taylor.

1973—Washington 14, Dallas 7—In a Monday night TV battle, safety Ken Houston stopped Walt Garrison just inches short of the goal on a fourth-down pass with 38 seconds remaining to preserve the victory. {Doc’s note: Was at this game too!}

1974—Dallas 24, Washington 23—Thanksgiving Day, backup QB Clint Longley replaced kayoed Staubach in the third period and rallied the Cowboys from a 23-10 deficit to win on a 50-yard TD heave to Drew Pearson with only 28 seconds remaining.

1975—Washington 30, Dallas 24—In overtime, Ken Houston intercepted a Staubach pass and returned it to midfield. Kilmer took over and drove the Redskins for a touchdown, scoring himself on a quarterback sneak to lift the Redskins into a first-place tie with Dallas midway through the season.

1976—Washington 27, Dallas 14—In the final game of the season, the Redskins faced elimination from the playoffs, but scored twice in the fourth quarter to win for the first time in Texas Stadium.

1977—Dallas 14, Washington 7—The Cowboys pulled off the first series sweep since 1970 as Staubach engineered two second-half touchdowns in this RFK Stadium contest.

1978—Washington 9, Dallas 5—In another Monday Night TV thriller, Mark Moseley hit on field goals of 52, 42, and 27 yards. The Redskins held the Cowboy without a touchdown for the first time since the NFC title win. Joe Theismann celebrated, giving the Cowboys a meaningless safety in the final minute.

1979—Washington 34, Dallas 20—Theismann passed for three touchdowns, leading the Redskins into a tie for the division lead after 12 weeks.

1979—Dallas 35, Washington 34—This season-ending contest, voted the NFL’s best regular season game of the decade, saw the Redskins bolt to a 17-0 lead, only to have Dallas move in front 21-17. The Redskins seemingly had the game won when John Riggins thundered 66 yards for a 34-21 advantage, but Staubach led the Cowboys to two TDs in the final four minutes, including the game-winning TD toss to Tony Hill with only 42 seconds remaining. Time ran out as Mark Moseley prepared to kick a possible game-winning field goal. The loss knocked the Redskins out of the playoffs and the NFC East championship.

1980—Dallas 14, Washington 10—Cowboys defensive lineman Larry Cole, a Redskins nemesis, interepted a pass and rumbled 43 yards for a TD, securing the Dallas victory despite the Redskins’ 406-314 edge in total yardage.

1981—Dallas 24, Washington 10—The Cowboys interrupted the Redskins’ four-game winning streak under new coach Joe Gibbs as Tony Dorsett rushed for 115 yards and Danny White threw a pair of TD passes.

1982—Washington 31, Dallas 17—The Redskins earned a trip to their second Super Bowl by avenging their only loss of the season—with strong affirmation. Rafael Septien gave the Cowboys their only lead of the game, 3-0, in the first quarter, but a Joe Theismann-to-Charlie Brown 19-yard TD pass put the Redskins on top for good. Before a record 55,045 people (0 no-shows), the Redskins upped their lead to 21-10 on two John Riggins touchdown runs. The Cowboys cut the lead to 21-17, but Mel Kaufman’s interception led to a Moseley field goal, and then a Dexter Manley batted pass fell in the hands of Darryl Grant for the game-clinching score.

The win sent the Redskins to Pasadena to take on the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII. The rest is history.

1983-Washington 31, Dallas 10—In Week 15 showdown for Eastern Division command, th Redskin defense sparks the victory in Texas Stadium, the Redskins’ seventh in a row. Holding Dorsett to a mere 34 yards, Washington also intercepted White three times (twice by Greg Williams), and sacked him three times. Theismann passed for two touchdowns, to Monk (6 for 119) and Didier, while Riggins bulled for 89 yards and two more TDs. The Redskin defense set one Cowboy mark (fewest yards rushing (20 for 33)) and tied another (worst loss in Texas Stadium history).

1984—Washington 34, Dallas 14—In gaining their fifth consecutive win, the Redskins piled up 241 yards of rushing offense to grind down the Cowboys 34-14. Riggins had 165 of those yards, with Theismann throwing three touchdown passes, one an 80-yarder to Calvin Muhammad. Monte Coleman got the win started with a 49-yard interception return for a touchdown.

1984—Washington 30, Dallas 28—This Week 15 battle for the Division lead saw the Redskins overcome a 21-6 halftime deficit sparked by Darrell Green’s interception return for a TD, and Calvin Muhammad’s touchdown catch.. John Riggins’ touchdown gave the Redskins a first-ever sweep of the Cowboys and a third straight win over them.

I know there’s been other thrillers since these. Who could forget the Monday Night Miracle (many of my friends, both Redskin fans and Cowboy fans), as well as my father-in-law turned the game off and I was the bearer of the wonderful news the next morning). And of course who could forget the muffed field goal, brought back by Sean Taylor, who was facemasked and we won with a field goal? Even the NFL posted the winners as the Cowboys before the gun sounded (unfortunately I am unable to find my screenshot of this)

So WE WANT DALLAS... and let's regroup and get a win tomorrow!!!!

Required Sunday morning reading. I want to create another entry in the list of Redskins achievements vs. Dallas. Make it happen Skins! Thanks for sharing Doc - love this thread. :cheers:

Required Sunday morning reading. I want to create another entry in the list of Redskins achievements vs. Dallas. Make it happen Skins! Thanks for sharing Doc - love this thread. :cheers:

Thanks John...I enjoy doing it!

1978—Washington 9, Dallas 5 ~ What kinda score is that? Senators and the Colt .45's? (yeah I know both of those teams were gone by then)

Sorry to hear about the pick pocketing incident but glad to hear some fans helped out.

Love the newspaper clip's. Are they scanned from a collection or right from the program?

1978—Washington 9, Dallas 5 ~ What kinda score is that? Senators and the Colt .45's? (yeah I know both of those teams were gone by then)

Sorry to hear about the pick pocketing incident but glad to hear some fans helped out.

Love the newspaper clip's. Are they scanned from a collection or right from the program?

These particular ones are scanned right from the program.

Yup 9-5.. weird score but at least we won. Remember the safety vividly.

Lighthearted snippets

With a frustrating two weeks behind us... thought I'd post some lighhearted info from the past...

The Redskins Fight Song…Do you know the words? Are you sure?

These are the words to HAIL TO THE REDSKINS, words by Corinne Griffith, as printed in the Redskins Review (game program) for the November 18, 1945 game against the Boston Yanks:

Hail to the Redskins
Hail Victory.
Braves on the warpath.
Fight for old D.C.
Scalp 'em, swamp 'em. We will take 'em big score
Read 'em, weep 'em. Touchdown we want heap more.
Fight on. Fight on 'till you have won.
Sons of Washington! (Rah1 Rah! Rah!)
Hail to the Redskins
Hail Victory.
Braves on the warpath.
Fight for old D.C.​

(Yes, the words were changed to be less offensive due to the nature of “scalping” in the late 1950s).

Oh, and regarding the Dallas/Washington Rivalry, there is this:

Dallas Cowboys controversy: When the NFL began considering expansion to Texas, Marshall strongly opposed the move, as he had enjoyed a monopoly in the South for three decades (apart from the one-year appearance of the Dallas Texans). Potential owner Clint Murchison, who was trying to bring the NFL to Dallas, bought the rights to "Hail to the Redskins" from a disgruntled Breeskin and threatened to prevent Marshall from playing it at games. Marshall agreed to back Murchison's bid, Murchison gave him back the rights to the song, and the Dallas Cowboys were born.

And then money is everything....

In addition, this week, I thought I’d just take some snippets from various articles from the 1942 season.. after all, the war was looming so there was some interesting stories going along with the season.

These are all from various articles from The Washington Post during the Redskins’ 1942 championship season.

Ticket prices too high? For the 1972 Championship game, the prices were rough: For the Redskins-Bears ticket situation: Thirteen thousand season ticket holders will be taken of first. … Other applicants’ orders will be filed as they are received and the tickets will be sold on a first-come/first-served basis. … Prices are: Upper and field boxes $4.40; grandstand and field stands, $3.30; centerfield stands, $2.20.

Think players are overpaid today? Well… As a reward for taking the “T” formation apart yesterday at Griffith Stadium, the Redskin players will profit at the rate of $900each for individual shares in the playoff pool—the winners’ share of the spoils. The Chicago Bears, already having voted 36 full shares to players, coaches, trainers and managers, will realize approximately $600 each. The Redskins are to hold their meeting this afternoon and the division of shares will be announced tonight.

No ticket? Lieut. Comdr. George Halas, who only owns, and coached the Bears before going into the Navy, arrived in time to address his boys before the kick-off [of the championship game]. But it didn’t help. Without a ticket, he tried to “crash” the press gate but met with unexpected resistance. He was finally given the green light upon being recognized and is probably the only person to get by the gate without some sort of ticket.

Nylons anyone? The biggest laugh of the trip (speaking about the Redskins’ travel to Detroit) was the way the Redskins went scouting for nylon hose, for their ever-loving wives. … Bob Masterson and Clyde Shugart passed a casual remark that they had found a place where they could buy the stockings for $1.44 a pair … Immediately there was a manhunt all over Detroit, but few could find the magic place.

Lastly, from the game program from November 15, 1953…

REDSKIN FANS OFFERED ALL-EXPENSE WEEK-END TOUR TO
NEW YORK FOR NEXT SUNDAY’S GAME WITH GIANTS

The Redskins will journey to New York City next weekend to renew their ancient rivalry with Steve Owen’s Giants, and a special all-expense trip has been arranged for fans who want to travel up and back with the football team.

The train will leave here at 1:00 P.M. on Saturday, November 21, and will return right after the game on Sunday evening, with arrival back here scheduled for 11:05 P.M. This is the train that the team will be traveling on.

The special tour will include the following features:

1. A reserved coach-seat to and from New York on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s MARYLANDER.
2. Special trainside bus services direct from the Jersey City rail terminal to the Redskins’ official hotel headquarters.
3. A panoramic view of New York’s spectacular skyline as you ferry across the Hudson River.
4. A room at the smart Warwick Hotel on 54th Street in mid-Manhattan close to the theaters and clubs. The Redskins players are housed in this hotel.
5. Free tickets for various big national television programs.
6. A seat along the sidelines at the Polo Grounds for the big game. Kickoff time: 2:05 P.M.
7. Special motor coach service right outside the stadium direct to trainside soon after the game.

The total cost for this tour is only $24.50 if you occupy a single room at the hotel, and $23.50 per person if you share a twin-bedded room.

HTTR!!!!

Aw, yes... the good ole days...

Other than the, 'panoramic view of New York’s spectacular skyline' that second one sounds pretty sweet... :lift:

College 'twas still king. A bit before my time but from some of the memorabilia my folks collected (long gone now) the really big deal for them was Army - Navy. They lived outside Philly & Dad was in the Navy. Seats (don't know where) were like in the $7 area in 1953 from what other relatives I've talked to have said.

We've had good days since - you just have to have been open to seeing them :) What we all want to see is an era of success.

Of course there have been good days since '53 for the Skins. At one time, college was far more popular than the pro's were. For a long time college was far more popular than the pros.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.