• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Bills: Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS QB KIRK COUSINS

On bouncing back from a rough start to the game:
"Yeah, you know, it’s going to be a four-quarter game for the 16 that we play this season and we’re going to have slow moments or slow quarters at times. The key is going to be to find a way to circle the wagons and regroup so that by the end of the four quarters we put together a good performance. Certainly in the time we had tonight the body of work overall was pretty productive but there were moments where it wasn’t as good as it needs to be, and we know that. A lot of the stuff I feel will be easily correctable and over the long haul will even itself out.”

On if his interception could be attributed to not playing a lot of reps with WR Rashad Ross:
"I don’t think so. I think if you look at the interception, it was the product of a defensive back making a good play on a tight throw, the ball bounces up in the air and it lands where it lands. I don’t know if that’s a product of anything, other than the fact that it’s the way it happened. You know, there were penalties, there have been penalties in all the preseason games, and we just had a couple of dropped balls on third down, which, like I said, is just not something that’s going to continue because our guys are pretty talented and will end up catching the ball consistently throughout the year.”

On if he was impressed with RB Robert Kelley:
"I was. I thought he did a really good job running the football and also in pass protection, which is a very difficult part of playing the running back position. Just continue to compliment him, I think when you’re a rookie and undrafted and you’re in that position, what you need is belief. You need people around you who believe in you and have confidence in you because he does have the talent and he can run the football well. You just have to continue encouraging him and I think he showed a lot of confidence tonight when he got going and he’s a talented football player.”

On if they are going to try and pass more this season:
"There were a couple run plays that were called when I checked to a pass, if Coach Gruden would’ve had it his way I wouldn’t have done that, I would’ve kept the run on. So there is some of that where the coaches are trying to get the ball run and I’m getting out of it. But, you know, then we had a two-minute drill at the end of the half, which you’re going to throw the ball. If you’re in a four-minute drill and we’re trying to run the clock out, that’s a different story. The situations in the game dictate a little bit, but there is no doubt, and I’ll be the first one to say, if we can keep the pass attempt in the mid-to-high twenties, I may not let up the statistical columns, but we are probably more successful as an offense overall.”

On trading for C Bryan Stork:
“Yeah, we had this happen last year when Kory [Lichtensteiger] got injured and we signed [Brian] de la Puente. We had to get him up to speed quickly and this will be no different. Just try to get a guy in, plug him in quickly and that’s the way this league works. Great to have a guy come from a winning organization, a winning team with a lot of big game experience. I’ll be wanting to pick his brain just as much to try to share what we are doing.”

On if WR DeSean Jackson is in better shape or having a better preseason than in years past:
“I don’t know about better shape or a better preseason than he’s had in the past, but I just think he’s a very talented, elite receiver in this league and I’ve always said we have to find ways to get the ball in his hands and give him chances to catch the football because he tends to prove us right when we throw the ball in his direction. So, we will continue to try to give him opportunities and I believe and have great confidence he will continue to make plays happen.”

REDSKINS CB JOSH NORMAN

On TE Jordan Reed:
“Yeah, there’s a reason our team paid him a nice contract this offseason. It’s hard to find guys who are wired as an athlete the way he is wired to separate, whatever you want to call it. I think it’s the 'R’ button on the controller in Madden when you play the game, but that ability to shake people or juke people or break down and cross people over on a basketball court, he has that natural ability that not many guys have and it’s a unique skill which makes it tough to cover him.”

On the way the defense played:
"They were physical, up close. They came there, guys got sacks up front. We held down the fort in the back, we played great team defense. Just coming out there during the week, all the noise, just wanted to put it out on the field. Hear my cry, hear everyone else's cry and give it all we had. Even though it was a preseason game, it felt like a game to me."

On WR Sammy Watkins' out and up route on Norman:
"He held the crap out of that. When he came up, Tyrod [Taylor] just held the ball, looking at him and then he just went out on the five-yard out and it was forever and he turned around and I was like, 'Let me hip turn this.' I pulled him but I didn’t badger him or nothing like that. I was just trying to put myself through and he got sacked. That goes hand-to-hand with the big boys up front. If you hold them low enough, shoot, that's what happens. So, it was fortunate."

On looking forward to Monday Night Football:
"That's like a kid in the candy store. I'm enjoying the game, this is my element, this is my sanctuary. This is something you come to do and love it and have a passion for it. I mean, nothing else takes precedence than God, family and ball. This is what it is all about, love of the game, giving my all each and every time I'm out there no matter what, preseason or not. That's what we do. We bring that and everyone else is feeding off of it and we’re just having a good time."

On going up against WR Antonio Brown in Week 1:
"I'm looking forward to going up against him and everyone else that we do face. You know, we’ve got to take one game at a time, and I know he is looking forward to it too. We've been talking back and forth here and there, but he’s a great competitor and an awesome receiver, one of the top ones in the league, so to go up against that man, shoot, I’ve got to get my feet ready."

REDSKINS RB ROBERT KELLEY

On what his expectations were entering the preseason and where he stands now:
“I think my expectations were real simple, to just come in and just progress every week. Try not to get worse, even if it’s one percent better, just get better.”

On his performance tonight and where he stands on the roster:
“I feel real confident about how I played. I feel confident that I gave myself a better opportunity to make the roster.”

On getting into a rhythm:
“I definitely felt like I got into a rhythm, I fully agree. There were some good holes out there with these guys.”

On his preseason performance:
“I think I’ve played decent. I think you’ve seen I’ve steadily progressed. One percent better. I think I got better.”

On taking advantage of extra reps:
“I don’t know if I would call it taking advantage, but every time I go out on the field, I try and do the best I can and make the most of my opportunities.”

REDSKINS TE VERNON DAVIS

On how the offense did tonight:
“I think we did a great job. We went out there, we played with poise, guys stayed in it—that’s the most important thing, to stay in it, keep your mind in the game, despite the adversity you might face. I think we did a great job at that. Offensive line, they were really moving guys at the point of attack. Jordan Reed came in, his first game back, and did a terrific job, helped us move the ball—scored a touchdown. We stayed together.”

On having two-tight-end formations in the offense:
“You know, one thing I promised J-Reed when I first got here was that I’m going to try my best and demand two guys to cover me, and that will allow you to get open. I love the kid, I think he’s awesome. The only thing I want is for him to do well and to help this team advance and win games, and that’s what I came for: an opportunity to win games. That’s first and foremost. Everything else takes care of itself. I’m having fun, I’m enjoying it, and Jordan [Reed] is having fun, Niles [Paul] is having fun, and that’s what it’s all about.”

On being on his hometown team:
“It is, it can be really special. There’s nothing like playing in your hometown. I grew up a Washington Redskins fan, and I remember when I got drafted to the San Francisco 49ers, the only thing I wanted was for the Washington Redskins to come knocking at my door. I wanted them to draft me, but it just didn’t happen. It didn’t go the way I expected it to, but it worked out, it worked out. I’m here now. It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”

REDSKINS CB BASHAUD BREELAND

On playing alongside CB Josh Norman and pushing each other:
"That's our mentality. He's already considered the No. 1 corner in the league and I am competing to push him for that spot and it is only bettering us. We’ve got a No. 1 guy and a guy who's pushing for it so it's only going to make him better."

On playing defense with a short field:
"That's where I feel the growth is for the defense. Last year, we get down in those positions and we give them seven points, three points, so we’re working at that aspect and the mentality is whether the offense scores or turns it over, we are going to get a stop and if we can do that, we can carry the team a long way."

On getting pumped up by Norman:
"The energy that he brings goes all across the field."

On his goals for the season:
"My goal is to help my team win any way possible and to be the No. 1 corner in the league. That's all I am trying to do."

REDSKINS TE JORDAN REED

On having most of the starting offense on the field tonight:
“It was good to see, definitely. We’ve been working hard out there and things weren’t going our way in the beginning. We started to settle down and started doing things natural.”

On being primed for the season opener:
“We have a couple more weeks of practice. We can turn around things like that. I think we have time to be ready.”

On being on the field with Vernon Davis:
“I’m excited. Vernon is a great player. He’s going to draw a lot of attention. If they try to double either one of us, it’s going to be hard because D-Jax [DeSean Jackson] is going to run over top, Pierre [Garçon] is going to kill them, [Jamison] Crowder, RG [Ryan Grant]. So it’s exciting.”

REDSKINS LB PRESTON SMITH

On his game tonight:
"I've been working on my overall game this offseason to balance out my game to have great pass rush and to also play the run great. Just get out there and be consistent each and every night and each and every week."

On pressure with LB Ryan Kerrigan out:
"I just focus on the stuff that I can control. That's me playing hard and playing physical and just going out there and executing my assignments the best way I can."

On being more comfortable in the defense:
"I'm getting a lot more comfortable in my role. My role is building up from last year and I'm comfortable in the playbook and I'm comfortable in what I’ve got to do and I go out there and just play the best I can whenever my number is called and I just keep my assignment each and every play."

REDSKINS LT TRENT WILLIAMS

On his first preseason action:
“I’m glad I got a chance to do [live reps] before the season kicked off.”

On how RB Robert Kelley looked tonight:
“I thought he looked good, he looked good. He found the creases, he moved forward. Obviously there are some things we can clean up, but I think it was a good outing for him.”

On the slow start offensively but finding a rhythm:
“It’s good to see the offense overcome a slow start, but obviously we would like to start a little faster than that—cut the penalties down a little more. You never want to get off to a slow start.”

REDSKINS DE ZIGGY HOOD

On settling in with the Redskins:
"The more reps I get in practice, the more comfortable I feel and that shows out there on the field. I am surrounded by guys that want the best from you, push each other out there on the practice field."

On winning culture in the locker room:
"They don't take kindly to losing. We don't want to get used to it. Anytime we lose a game, even if it's preseason, everyone is a little down and wished we could have done better so that's why I like it here so far and those guys on the line with me makes you want to go out there and perform."

REDSKINS LB SU’A CRAVENS

On the first team defense’s performance tonight:
“I think we did a really good job. We held them to field goals, didn’t give up any touchdowns, so it’s a step in the right direction.”

On the defense’s effectiveness on third down:
“I think we just wanted to make the quarterback stay in the pocket. If they can get out and scramble and create an extended play—I think a couple third downs we actually let that happen. It’s just a few third downs they picked up. We made them stand in the pocket, coverage was good and we got off the field.”

On being more comfortable after three games:
“I’m ready. I’m ready to play. I came here to play, and whatever they need me to do, I’ll do it.”

On how he feels in the defense:
“I felt good. They were bringing me in on third downs, so there were a lot of passing situations, so just being able to run around and move side to side, being able to follow a receiver out in the flat or a running back coming out of the backfield, it felt good.”

REDSKINS DE RICKY JEAN FRANCOIS

On the stop at the end of the game:
“Oh, we felt great. We go over this every day in practice. We go over situational football. One thing Jay [Gruden] has preached to us is you’ve got to master situational football. That was one situation, I saw it happening, I thought this is the one situation Jay Gruden didn’t want to happen, but it came to us, so this is a situation that we always master and won it.”

On the defensive chemistry:
“It’s getting there. I know a lot of people think it’s there, but it’s not there yet. We still have a long way to go before September 12.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.