• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/8/16: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 8, 2016
Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center – Richmond, Va.

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On if he has decided how much his starters will play on Thursday:
“Not yet. You know, we’ll play it by ear, see how we do out at practice today and we’ll have a staff meeting tonight and then make a decision.”

On if he has ruled any players out for Thursday:
“Well, [Reggie] Diggs will be out for sure. I ruled [Jamison] Crowder out myself today. Obviously [Derek] Carrier, [Josh] Doctson. Those are the four off the top of my head. Probably Trent [Williams]. I’m not sure yet on Trent.”

On Trent Murphy working at linebacker after switching to defensive end:
“Once Junior tore his Achilles, we tried him [Murphy] at defensive end a little bit, but we feel like at this point in time, we moved him back to linebacker. The good thing about him, he got some experience at defensive end. So, you know, on game day, if you dress five defensive linemen, four outside backers, he can also be an extra defensive lineman. Or, three outside linebackers, count him as a defensive end, he can be an outside linebacker. His value will be big because he can play both.”

On if Murphy will focus primarily on pass rushing instead of coverage:
“Originally that was our plan. We’re trying to get him going forward more often. He, Preston [Smith], Ryan [Kerrigan] will be our feature ends – Houston Bates. We’ll see what happens with the other guys who are competing for jobs – Willie Jefferson, Lynden Trail, Double E [Ejiro Ederaine] and Shiro Davis, so we’ll see what happens there. But we’ll try to get him going forward more, yes.”

On if there is a better example for young players than LB Ryan Kerrigan:
“Not really, no. He’s very humble, number one. Keeps to himself and does exactly what’s asked of him in practice. He practices hard; in fact, we have to pull him back a little bit because he practices so hard and we want to keep him healthy for the 16-week grind. He’s a top-notch guy, on and off the field, character-wise.. He’s what you’re looking for.”

On if Su’a Cravens will be utilized most at linebacker or safety:
“We’re going to try him at linebacker first. He’s a 20-year-old kid and coming in here he has got to learn one spot first. He needs to learn the defense, so we figured inside linebacker in nickel and dime situations is the spot to teach him the defense first. From there we can branch off, see his skill set, move on and try him at safety – maybe nickel – whatever it is. Right now we feel like the best place for him learning the defense is at linebacker.”
On his thoughts about the Hall of Fame game being canceled:
“I don’t know, but I know as a coach if the field wasn’t up to par, I wouldn’t want my players out there either. That’s just the way it is. These preseason games are important to look at the young guys, but it’s also important to keep your guys healthy. If there is any thought of it putting your players at risk, then you can’t play. It’s unfortunate because a lot of people were looking forward to that game, but I think they made the right decision looking out for the players’ safety first.”
On the impact of players on those two teams missing reps:
“Those two teams – the Packers [and Colts] – they have four other preseason games. They just missed some vacation time [laughter]. I would have been pretty upset if that were the case. We’re going to get plenty of looks. Four good preseason games, the first two are what they are – a chance to get our veteran guys and our starters a couple of reps, work up a sweat. It’s a chance for some of our young guys to push into the starting role or the backup role. And then the third preseason game, we’ll get our starters a lot of reps and then the fourth preseason game, we’ll finish it out and compete and see what we have. These games, although they don’t count in the win-loss record, they count big-time as far as who your 53 players are. Scoreboard aside, it’s a very important time for us.”

On Murphy adding weight in the offseason and if it will be an issue in his move back to linebacker:
“I don’t think so. He’s right around 270 [pounds] right now and I think he can handle it. He looks good. He’s stronger. With the more muscle you have, the more weight you’re going to gain. He wasn’t exactly a speedster to begin with, so I think he’ll be fine. He can drop into the flat and the curl zone and do some good things, but also provide us with another rusher, whether it’s in three-down fronts with him as a spinner, or four-down fronts with him as an end. Maybe we’ll try to put him inside. He’s doing a good job out here and once we moved him back, he made some big plays and has done well.”

On the safeties communicating with the rest of the defense and how S DeAngelo Hall has handled it since transitioning from cornerback:
“He’s been good. You know, all those guys have. David [Bruton Jr.] just coming in here, he’s done a nice job. Duke [Ihenacho] has done a fine job. Will Blackmon, moving over from corner/nickel to safety has also done a good job. And you’re right, that is one of the most important parts of playing safety, being able to communicate the coverage calls to the other defensive backs. DeAngelo is a smart guy. He’s taken this position very seriously and it’s a great opportunity for him to still play and make some big plays and help this football team. He’s all-in and he’s doing a fine job.”

On Olympic events in which he could compete and TE Vernon Davis suggesting the backstroke:
“He said I would be good at the backstroke? Vernon, I like him better when he doesn’t talk to the media [laughter]. I don’t know what my events would be. I like ping pong. Ping pong looks fun. I think that would be a fun event for me, I could try that. Other than that, I really don’t know what I’d be good at. Golf, maybe. No, I can’t do that either. I stink at everything – I’m old, I’m fat and out of shape [laughter]. That’s what you guys say, right?”

On going from the heat to a climate-controlled dome for the first preseason game:
“I don’t think there’s a lot of preparation needed for that. That’s easy. It’s a fast track, our receivers will love that. And the air-conditioner… the environment there will be premier for football and for these guys. So, I think the biggest thing to keep an eye on is how they handle their stamina, you know what I mean? When you get out in a game, guys will be playing more than three, four, five, six plays in a row and we’ll see how they handle it, the receivers, defensive backs, pass rushers. It will be good to see. It will be good work for us and we’ll see where we are exactly from a conditioning standpoint and from a skillset.”

I'm deeply concerned about Doctson. Rookies desperately need training camp to adjust to the speed and physicality of the NFL. Even if he heals and can play during the season, he will not have had enough of that necessary adjustment time. This could very easily turn into a lost year for our first round draft pick, unless he can get some reps in TC.

Trent Murphy is still looking like just another guy.

So little concern about Doctson missing so much time.

Fellas, prepare for a let down. No improvement in the run game. No improvement in the defensive line.

I agree 100%.

Trent Murphy is going to make or break the team this season. His development is so much more important than the addition of Josh Norman, or the progress of Kirk Cousins.

It's an absolute killer.

I can't even sleep with the Josh Doctson news. Really, end of the world type of stuff. Oh wait, how long did we hold Jamison Crowder out of action last season? That was devastating. He was awful.

And the running game? Wow, what else can we say?

We haven't even played a single preseason game yet, but it's obvious that it's a lost cause already.

Great analysis tr1:) We should probably just pack it in right now.

You might have missed that Cousins is looking so-so in camp, too.

But hey, another major injury on the d-line is no big deal. No time on the field for the 1st rounder, and our starting running back is holding the ball like a loaf of bread again.
No worries.

Do you just make this stuff up?

Jones, and for that matter most of the running backs group, hasn’t fumbled (“knock on wood,” as Jones quickly amends to that assertion) so far in training camp. After his rookie season, in which the Florida product fumbled five times in 13 games, questions surfaced about his ability to be a lead running back in the NFL and if he could manage the responsibilities required for that role. So he turned to technology.

As has been well-reported throughout OTAs and minicamp, Jones began working with the “High and Tight” football, which beeps when all the necessary pressure points are squeezed correctly between the hand, the forearm and the bicep. After a couple of months, Jones says holding the ball up higher has become natural, and the production on the field has shown.

He hasn't fumbled a single time.

Why make up imaginary things?

Last edited:
I'll start worrying if/when I need to.

I don't miss Gallete, because we never had him anyway. Confident that Smith and Bates will have us saying "Junior who" by mid season. And I've never been as down on Murphy as many seem to be. I guess because I don't put much "on field" relevance in draft position.

The running game, for me, is still a concern. But more because I don't have much faith in Gruden's ability to know how to use it. I think he would have made Jim Brown look ordinary. However, if Gruden improves in year 3 as much as he did in year 2, then my concerns about his use of the running game should dissipate as well. It's his biggest weakness.

Do you just make this stuff up?
No he didn't, to back up his proclamation he probably picked his cherry out of a bushel of commentary by Keim

The benefit of receiver Pierre Garcon: blocking. He made a big difference on one run around left end, driving slot corner Dashaun Phillips off the ball and allowing Matt Jones to turn the corner for a long gain. Jones, though, let the ball get too far from his body again. He's worked hard at keeping the ball high and tight with his new grip, but he reverted to an old habit on this carry. Still, he had room for a nice run because of Garcon. And that, boys and girls, is why a receiver's run blocking is important.

Sure it is a concern because habits are hard to break but the kid has been working on it and if he reverts back with any significance then we can fuss.

Larry Brown had a fumbling problem, too. Glad they kept him around.

No he didn't, to back up his proclamation he probably picked his cherry out of a bushel of commentary by Keim

Sure it is a concern because habits are hard to break but the kid has been working on it and if he reverts back with any significance then we can fuss.

When taken in context with all of the other reports about his progress in camp, or McLovin calling him the most improved and next breakout player, that's really reaching for something negative.

But fair enough....at least someone reported something negative. Thanks for posting it.

More 'gloom and doom' from puff Tandler
Redskins outside linebacker Preston Smith left today’s practice early after sustaining a shoulder injury.

“We’ll see,” said head coach Jay Gruden. “He just strained his shoulder a little bit, it’s a little weak.”

Gruden said that Smith will be evaluated tomorrow before a decision is made on him playing against the Falcons in the Redskins’ preseason opener.

The second year player had the shoulder wrapped before leaving the field.

Damn. I'm starting to think that football may just be a physically demanding sport.

It sounds like Jordan Reed and Trent Williams may also sit out Thursday's game/first quarter for minor injuries.

I am not a pro GM, but one thing I can reasonably deduce - Trent Murphy is NOT going to be better in coverage in 2016 at 280 than he was in 2014 or 2015 at 255.

I really wished the team would keep Murphy at DE. He projected as a 4-3 DE coming out of Stanford. Somehow Bruce thought he could transition to one of the most athletically challenging positions at OLB in the 3-4.

If Murphy could be a run down DE for us and move inside to help the pass rush on the team's dime packages he would be contributing a lot.

He may never live up to his billing as a high draft choice, but he can be a solid piece for the defense.

Flopping him around is not really benefiting him or the team long-term.

If we need an OLB to rush the passer, we should be looking to bring in an OLB who can rush the passer.

Dwight Freeney's one year $2M deal with Atlanta didn't look so stiff that the Redskins couldn't have fit it in to get us through 2016 until we can address the position in 2017.

So what do you want to see in the first preseason game?

Tr1: doesn't matter,we suck.

What about this position battle?

Tr1: we suck.

How about this group's development?

Tr1: sucks

Anyone sensing a pattern here?

No mention that it's being reported that Ziggy Hood's been flashing in camp or that the group of Baker,Hood and Reyes have shown to be good against the run or that Paea has been looking much improved on his pass rushes.

Or how about the battle between Phillips and Fuller(who's been noted as looking like the steal of the draft)?

Nope. It's preordained that the Redskins suck.

Tr1, you mad Bro?

Tr1: we suck.

Smelly hot air indeed. The team showed it plenty last year. You see what you choose to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.