A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Default Presidential Election 2016

Henry wondered out loud a few month's ago about what my thoughts were regarding Donald Trump. He knows I am a fairly hard core conservative, at least on most matters (I am pretty socially moderate. I am not religious. I lean towards pro-choice although I find abortion abhorrent on some levels, and I support LGBT rights 100%). On all other topics I would say my beliefs fall in line with the Party of Lincoln (which doesn't necessarily make me a modern day Republican but would have in the 1960's and 70's).

So what to do in the 2016 Presidential election?

My opinion - Donald Trump is a boorish buffoon. He seems to have an almost absolute inability to think before he speaks, to be able to put coherent thoughts into language that can be absorbed and received in a positive manner. In fact, he seems entirely immune to any awareness of how his communicated thoughts are received by his target audience. He in no way fits my lifelong image of a leader, a responsible adult, and certainly not a President.

On the other hand I am tired. I am tired of politicians. I am tired of ineptitude. I am tired of big government oppressing me on a daily basis in a thousand different ways. I am tired of funding massive government intrusions into my life of which I do not approve. And I am tired of good speechmakers who lack any semblance of any ability to actually lead and govern winning our most important election and occupying the White House for years on end.

I actually believe Donald Trump has some skills and real life experience that he could put to use to be an effective President. I believe he knows how to build consensus around a plan, how to get critical parties to compromise to achieve a common agreement, knows how the world economy works and how to be successful in it. I don't actually buy the caricature our media always makes of any candidate - that Trump is stupid, a racist, that he lacks talent of any kind, and is the anti-Christ.

They say that you can judge a man by his family and friends. I have noted that Donald Trump appears by all accounts to have been a fantastic father to his pretty impressive children. They are all, without exception, capable, courteous, productive adults who appear to be thriving. I think that says something.

I am willing to consider that Donald Trump may be a decent, capable man who simply couldn't communicate effectively or with an ounce of political correctness if you held a gun to his head.

I'm willing to give him the most generous benefit of the doubt my little heart can muster.

Then I see him on TV. And I think 'Really? Can you vote for this guy????'. My answer is, 'I don't know'.

What I do know? I will not vote for the soulless, vacuous, pandering, void of integrity and character Hilary Clinton.

I consider the Republican Party that I grew up admiring essentially dead. If I had to describe my political belief system based on today's organized associations, I would describe myself almost certainly as a Libertarian. I believe the best thing our Federal government can do for all of us is to mind it's own business and leave us all the hell alone. If I were to vote on principle, I would never cast a vote again for anyone other than a Libertarian candidate.

Yet I also know that, barring a national revolution so unlikely as to be silly to even consider, a Libertarian Party candidate will never win the Presidential Election. The system is simply too enmeshed in 2 party domination to ever allow it. A third party of any kind can never hope to be anything more than a spoiler. That's just a reality. Essentially, voting Libertarian 'on principle' is simply throwing your vote away.

So the real choices are:
    1) Vote your conscience and throw your vote away. Feel good about my integrity while likely helping to elect someone I consider a despicable human being.
    2) Vote for Trump and pray he is a far better man than his horrible public persona would seem to indicate.
    3) Don't vote at all. This I have never done, and don't consider a real option.

That about sums up my view of this Presidential contest Henry. At least this go round, I don't have to worry about Mitt Romney trying to control my uterus.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

John, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this post. I posted an article on FB sometime recently that essentially said - listen to the other side. Don't judge, just listen. Learn why they would vote for whom they will vote, why they believe what they believe, etc. Really great article that we could all learn from instead of just yelling at each other, which is far too often what FB and other interactions devolve in to.

I am genuinely struggling with this election. Trump is everything bad you just said, and I cannot imagine myself voting for him. Ever. But Hillary? Sigh. Sigh. SIGH. (and no, I could not have voted for Bernie either). This sums up my feelings on Hillary pretty nicely. I'm tired of hearing about all the terrible things she has done (largely because I think the Republicans are frothing at the mouth to discredit her - not that she needs their help - to the point that they undermine their own effectiveness).

If she would come out and apologize and say she was wrong and that she has learned from her mistakes, etc., it would show me some growth and maturity. But I'm not going to hold my breath on that at all. She is who she is, and who she is reminds me of Frank Underwood way too much.

Any way, I'm conflicted. Don't know what I'll do. I cannot vote for Trump, so I see my choices as a mirror image of yours.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia Tech

I'll grit my teeth and vote for Clinton so that I can look myself--and my grandchildren, someday--in the eye and say, with clear conscience, that I did the one thing I could to try to keep our country from, in a social-media-driven fit of pique, elect a narcissistic snake oil salesman to the highest office in the land.

de Tocqueville warned almost two centuries ago we'd get the government we deserve some day. No, Hillary is not the stateswoman I'd hoped would be our first female President, and yes, I'm afraid she comes with so much baggage we may well see another four years of Congress jerking off at each other across the aisle ... but if we have come to a point we deserve the Circus Maximus representing us and our nation to the world, we really and truly have lost our way.
    0 0 0 0

Eschew obfuscation.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Colbert had a good line last night, he said that Clinton and Trump are tied in the latest polls - so that means the exact same number of Americans don't want to vote for Hillary as the number of Americans who don't want to vote for Trump.

I chuckled.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quite simply, Donald Trump is the worst candidate for President I've seen in my lifetime. And it's not even close. While it is no secret I'm more liberal than anything else, I voted in the Republican primary simply to vote against him. I'm one of those 'anyone but Trump' people.

That scene at the end of Zoolander when Will Farrell goes off on everyone and says "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" ... That's how I feel about Trump. I honestly can't understand why anyone could possibly consider that man for President. The fact that he's gotten this far ... I feel like I've taken crazy pills.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for answering my question, B. You didn't have to tell me.
    Last edited by Henry; 07-15-16 at 12:22 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Let me add that I think 'the establishment' has become a boogyman for all that everyone feels has wronged them in this world. While I understand the weariness we all feel for our current crop of politicians, I think the conspiracy theories are way overblown. The problem at the moment is The System, not the people in it.

Trump is not going to fix that system. He'll either exploit it, or, if he can't, he'll simply blow it the hell up, and not in a good way. What we need is reform, not boorish ass with the temperament of a spoiled 6 year-old. Picking Trump over one of today's career politicians is like picking cat piss laced with arsenic over skunked beer. Yeah, it's obviously different, and equally obviously not better.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Let me add that I think 'the establishment' has become a boogyman for all that everyone feels has wronged them in this world. While I understand the weariness we all feel for our current crop of politicians, I think the conspiracy theories are way overblown. The problem at the moment is The System, not the people in it.

Trump is not going to fix that system. He'll either exploit it, or, if he can't, he'll simply blow it the hell up, and not in a good way. What we need is reform, not boorish ass with the temperament of a spoiled 6 year-old. Picking Trump over one of today's career politicians is like picking cat piss laced with arsenic over skunked beer. Yeah, it's obviously different, and equally obviously not better.
    We desperately needed a John Kasich as a choice. But competent and non-judgmental is sooooo boring. I'm not a fan of a pure democracy because the average American is too stupid to be able to recognize a decent human being and leader. I understand how politically incorrect that is to say, but people are generally sheep. They vote for candidates they know next to nothing about, about whom they couldn't verbalize one real fact, or based on how candidates 'make them feel' about themselves.

I understand your point about 'the establishment' Henry. It is a 'boogeyman'. However, there are also a ton of clowns in public office whose main priority is to ensure they continue to be the clown in public office for the long-term, who demagogue and ignore the real needs of our country and it's citizens and who knowingly play politics and put party and self-interest above progress and real needs. We no longer have citizen politicians, we have professional politicians whose beliefs blow with whatever the prevailing winds happen to be. We are so in need of term limits, and reforms such as making it illegal for a congressman or President to earn more than the national average salary.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

For what its worth, Kasich was my first choice.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Florida State

I am so disgusted with the GOP...the DNC is nominating the weakest Presidential candidate since Michael Dukakis and the GOP hands them a victory by nominating Donald Trump.

You are willing to elect a person whose actions were far worse than anything Nixon did. Wrap your heads around that.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quite simply, Donald Trump is the worst candidate for President I've seen in my lifetime. And it's not even close. While it is no secret I'm more liberal than anything else, I voted in the Republican primary simply to vote against him. I'm one of those 'anyone but Trump' people.

That scene at the end of Zoolander when Will Farrell goes off on everyone and says "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" ... That's how I feel about Trump. I honestly can't understand why anyone could possibly consider that man for President. The fact that he's gotten this far ... I feel like I've taken crazy pills.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for answering my question, B. You didn't have to tell me.
    The wall just got 10 feet higher.
    0 0 0 0

It is awesome to be ME.
    Proud BGO Premium Member since Day 1.
    (a/k/a Monte51Coleman)

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Henry wondered out loud a few month's ago about what my thoughts were regarding Donald Trump.

Blah blah blah

That about sums up my view of this Presidential contest Henry.
    My take away? If things go sideways in PA again, we can all blame Henry.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    I am so disgusted with the GOP...the DNC is nominating the weakest Presidential candidate since Michael Dukakis and the GOP hands them a victory by nominating Donald Trump.

You are willing to elect a person whose actions were far worse than anything Nixon did. Wrap your heads around that.
    No argument from me. I was desperate for someone, anyone, to vote for other than Hillary. Every time she finds herself in the news again I wince. In 2012 I voted third party. I was prepared to do it again. But the potential damage Trump could do to this country is so high that I can't not vote against him.

As bad as Hillary is, the country will survive four years of her. As long as the GOP nominates a warm body in 2020 they will win that election, and life will go on.

I honestly don't know that we can survive a Trump presidency. The man is a sociopath.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    My take away? If things go sideways in PA again, we can all blame Henry.

HA!

I'm already blaming myself. Boone had posted an article about Trump supporters and I merely (and very timidly I might add) asked if he was going to vote for Trump. He said he posted the article because his daughter wrote it (very cool!) and he didn't want to talk politics.

We never spoke of it again.

The end.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I don't think Trump is a sociopath. Megalomaniac? Absolutely.
    0 0 0 0

It is awesome to be ME.
    Proud BGO Premium Member since Day 1.
    (a/k/a Monte51Coleman)

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

HA!

I'm already blaming myself. Boone had posted an article about Trump supporters and I merely (and very timidly I might add) asked if he was going to vote for Trump. He said he posted the article because his daughter wrote it (very cool!) and he didn't want to talk politics.

We never spoke of it again.

The end.
    I know I saw the whole exchange, I'm messin' with ya. His daughter has some talent, she has a nice writing voice.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I don't think Trump is a sociopath. Megalomaniac? Absolutely.
    I will amend my description to borderline sociopath. Best I can do.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The wall just got 10 feet higher.
    Post of the year ...lol

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    we really and truly have lost our way.
    We lost our way several ways ago brother. That ship has sailed
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Florida State

Henry, you make these claims about Trump but give little support for your assertions.

How is his megalomania any different than the narcissism of a woman so corrupt, she thinks she is above the law?

I hate defending Trump, but you think Clinton would do less harm. I suggest more activists like Kagan, Sotomayor and Ginsburg on the Supreme Court would be far more damaging than anything Trump could do. The balance of the Supreme Court is at risk and that is far more influential than anything Trump could get past congress.
    Last edited by Elephant; 07-15-16 at 08:05 PM.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

2016 BGO FF Champion
    BGObsessed

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Air Force

Forgive Henry, he was listening to Nickelback when he wrote that.

Trump over Hillary for MANY reasons but the main one for me is that he isn't a career politician. Basically isn't owned by outside influences. Atleast on the surface imho. By no means I see him as ideal but with our shitty choices here its the less odorous turd.
    0 0 0 0

“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” - George Patton