• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

TV Show Discussion Thread

Narcos is very good once you get used to the subtitles. Much of it is in Spanish. Surprisingly I enjoyed season 3 the most after Escobar was gone.

Yeah, it will be interesting how they transition into Mexico, and the safety of the production crew.

Easy. Film it in L.A.

Haha! Apparently they were filming in Mexico when threats were levied. I am not sure of the precise details.

Still, a good series, and apparently Netflix's 2nd most watched series behind Stranger Things, which I find hard to believe with the popularity of House of Cards.

Anyone watch Colony on Netflix? I just watched the first one last night and thought it had some promise. With 9" of snow, I might be binging some more. Finished Turn last night.

I'm a little behind, but I just finished watching the first season of The Librarians. I found it to be a lot like Warehouse 13. Got to do something when it's 42 degrees (108 in your language) outside. Remember, it is summer down here so it is going to be hot. Even the nights are hot!

Narcos is very good once you get used to the subtitles. Much of it is in Spanish. Surprisingly I enjoyed season 3 the most after Escobar was gone.

Just finished Season 2 of Narcos - wow - thanks for the recommendation (my daughter also told me I needed to watch it). I'd put it right up there in the same neighborhood as Breaking Bad. Maybe not as compelling in terms of characters, but really addictive (!) and knowing it's based on reality is a plus. I actually am going to say something heretical - not sure it's not actually a better show than The Wire was. I enjoyed The Wire, but I'm not sure I get its rep as the best series ever.

So - looking at Homeland and may also check out Billions. Is Homeland really worth the time?

Currently binge watching Californication. Watched 3 seasons so far, with 4 to go. After that I'll probably binge on Weeds!

BTW, have all of Prison Break on DVD, and the rehash/remake of the newer Prison Break. I started to download Blacklist, but soon tired of it and deleted it.

Couple of things to chip in.

I've always been a Sci-Fi geek and have just watched the 2 seasons of 'The Expanse' which is on Netflix. Loved it, and can't wait for the 3rd season! My fave Sci Fi show since BSG went off air.

In that line I've also been watching the new Trek show on Netflix too. Star Trek: Discovery, which is decent but somehow doesn't feel entirely Trek. Been enjoying it though.

And talking Trek, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Seth McFarlane show 'The Orville'. I figured it would all be childish humour and was skeptical, but the humour is really kept to a minimum and it's a pretty hard Sci Fi show with some pretty interesting themes. I'm guessing that only the humour in the show that kind of makes it a Trek Parody is the only reason they haven't been sued by the estate of Gene Roddenberry for this show. It's a dead ringer for Star Trek Voyager in every way.

Also if you haven't watched it I'd recommend giving 'Black Mirror' a watch. It's an anthology show about how Technology can have dangerous consequences. It's a near future set show and is really really good. To give an example, in one of the shows the story is about a chip that can be put in your neck that links to your brain and records everything you say, do and see and then you can play it back at will for yourself or others to see and hear. It's an instant argument resolver, a perfect recollection of indisputable memory... but has a much darker side too. Some episodes are better than others (and the season 1 first episode is a hilariously difficult to watch!) but they all prompt interesting questions about the direction of technology.

And finally if you like a documentary on occasion then check out 'Rotten' and 'Dirty Money' on Netflix. The former gives and interesting look at the Food industry and the former goes into details on some of the big financial scandals of the last few years (the VW Dieselgate one is especially eye opening!).

Oh and re-reading this thread a bit.... My Top 10 in no particular order:

Breaking Bad - Best show I've ever watched. I think Boone said it takes a few shows to get into, but once you're in...phew! Ever episode and every season seems to just ratchet up the tension as you watch the journey Walter and Jessie go on. The last season was some of the most tense TV I think I've ever watched!

Friday Night Lights - Needs no explanation in this forum I'd wager. Kyle Chandler will always be Coach Taylor to me, and as much as my wife makes me watch Nashville and insists Raina Jaymes belongs with Deacon, Connie Britton will always be Tami Taylor, Coaches wife.

Battlestar Galactica - I like my Sci Fi hard, and this show was so good. It's a million light years away from the original show and the Cylon mystery keeps you guessing. It's also a very interesting study on faith and religion. Loved it.

The Expanse - I mentioned it above, and this is more Sci-Fi fantasy I guess, but based on very real physics. Love this show.

Preacher - On Amazon Prime over here, but loved the first couple of series. I was a big fan of the graphic novels so this was a treat for me. The premise is that he's a small town preacher with a shady past and is gifted with the 'word of God' which means he has the power to tell people what to do and they do it. It's darkly comic.

The Good Place - On Netflix. It's a short 20 min show, just finished it's second season. The basic premise is that Kristen Bell plays a woman called Eleanor who wakes up after dying to be told by Ted Danson that she is now in Heaven, or the Good Place. However she's there by accident because she was actually a bad person and should have been sent to the Bad Place. I'll not spoil the twists and turns for those who haven't seen it, but it's a show that's much deeper that a simple 20 min sitcom.

Game of Thrones - Not gonna say much about this. Love it and I'm guessing most of you may be already on board for the ride. :D

Wynona Earp - I'd class this under my own guilty pleasure. But I also love Supernatural so this feels like a natural bedfellow. I also think I may be slightly smitten with the lead character! LOL It's got a good deal of humour in it too. The basic premise is she is the great granddaughter of the famous Wyatt Earp and she inherits his gun 'Peacemaker' which is capable of sending demons back to hell. Kooky premise, but I really enjoyed it.

Westworld - Way better than the original film it's based on. This show hooked me in with the mystery. I figured out some of it before the reveal, but I'm so ready for season 2!!!

Alias - I'm still a big fan of the spy series, though it loses it's way a bit in the later seasons.

Being Human - What happens when a Vampire, a Werewolf and a Ghost live together. The UK series is better than the US one so watch that if you can get it.

Honorable Mentions: Farscape (my guilty pleasure), Life on Mars (the UK version not the US one), Mad Men (mentioned by others), Sherlock (the UK series with Benedict Cumberbatch in it), Veronica Mars (another guilty pleasure) and the UK TV show 'Teachers' where you'll see a young Andrew Lincoln way before he was Rick Grimes.

By the way, The Wire is on my 'to watch' list but I'm glad I'm hearing good things about it.

Knight- if you are a Sci-fi fan you have to check out the new Netflix series Altered Carbon. I'm not a sci-if guy at all and I'm hooked.

Actor Reg Cathey (The Wire, House of Cards) has died. He was 59.

Just finished Season 2 of Narcos - wow - thanks for the recommendation (my daughter also told me I needed to watch it). I'd put it right up there in the same neighborhood as Breaking Bad. Maybe not as compelling in terms of characters, but really addictive (!) and knowing it's based on reality is a plus. I actually am going to say something heretical - not sure it's not actually a better show than The Wire was. I enjoyed The Wire, but I'm not sure I get its rep as the best series ever.

So - looking at Homeland and may also check out Billions. Is Homeland really worth the time?

Ab.So.Lute.Ly

Agree with Chris...Homeland is well worth it, @Boone. Claire Daines character can be a bit annoying, but the show is one of the best running series right now. New season starts tomorrow.

Billions is also a good show, worth the watch, but Homeland is better.
@Chris, just finished Altered Carbon, and I feel the same way about the series and sci-fi. If you're willing to suspend disbelief for that, I am hooked on Counterpart on the Stars network. JK Simmons is masterful in a parallel world sci-fi.

And while I enjoyed Narcos, I cannot place it in any top 10 list...to compare it to The Wire is blasphemy! :nana:

What makes the Wire so great? I enjoyed it - the characters have a lot of depth...but I didn't find the plotlines compelling. Sorry. I have to call it over-hyped. Just one poor bastard's assessment. And I say that with some reservations, because my father absolutely swore it was the best ever. I'd put Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Band of Brothers all easily ahead of it.

Okay - Homeland here I come. I'm going to give 'Billions' a chance. My eyes started to glaze over in episode one with some of the stock/trading talk - but I'll try and ride that out. If I don't like it, you can put out a cigarette on my chest. Or piss on me. Whichever is more appealing.

Knight- if you are a Sci-fi fan you have to check out the new Netflix series Altered Carbon. I'm not a sci-if guy at all and I'm hooked.

Oddly I watched the trailer for that earlier and thought it had a very Bladerunner vibe to it. I was busy today but thought I'd see if I can sit down with it tomorrow and watch a couple of episodes.

Now thanks to your recommendation I'll definitely do that! :D

Has anyone watched the Punisher series on Netflix? I'm thinking of watching that too at some point.

Btw - I love this thread :)

PS - @Knightingale - what the hell is 'BSG'?

Oddly I watched the trailer for that earlier and thought it had a very Bladerunner vibe to it. I was busy today but thought I'd see if I can sit down with it tomorrow and watch a couple of episodes.

Now thanks to your recommendation I'll definitely do that! :D

Has anyone watched the Punisher series on Netflix? I'm thinking of watching that too at some point.

Punisher is the most violent series in have ever seen...almost a little too much. It wasn't bad series, just rather predictable. If blood and gore is your thing, it will work.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.