• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

TV Show Discussion Thread

Bran hasn't done shit lately so he may as well be the NK. Hopefully there's enough exposition after the crowning to tie several loose ends together.

Yeah the Bran thing is irritating. All the set up as him as the three-eyed-raven and he basically just sits there and looking weird...

The Ringer did a fun article on that: had a 'deadpool' here at work leading up to the final season. I'm not doing too badly in it thus far, though I did think Tormund and Grey Worm were going to die at Winterfell.

The tie break questions were:

Who kills Cersei - I said Jaime... Now he did lead her into the dead end where they got crushed, so I don't know if that counts!

Who kills the Night King - Ayra - So I got that one! :D

Who sits on the throne - I said Sansa. My reasoning.... Cersei-Dead, Dany-Dead, Jon-don't want it, Bran-don't want anything. Gendry is the wild card here... but I don't think he's been built up enough as a contender over the series. Sansa has quietly learned how to be a pretty cunning anc competent ruler over her experiences. She cares for her people and is savvy enough to know how to play the game. I think she's the only one groomed for the throne at the end. And looking back at Episode one/Season one where she was the spoilt child princess wannabe, she's the one who was probably at the bottom of everyone's list. It feels just subversive enough to put her on the throne at the end. Everyone else was 'chosen' or 'destined' or 'phrophesised'. And George loves to subvert those things. I think Tyrion once said about Prophecy.... "It's like a lame mule, you think it's useful till it kicks you in the head" (or something along those lines!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, counsel of the leaders of the 7 kingdoms votes her in.

You've definitely got some interesting prospects Knight, especially Sansa as the eventual queen. I'm okay with a ginger Northling running the land. That scene where Sansa tells Tyrion about John. She seemed to be on a mission, quite possibly to inform the iron fleet where Danny would be at to surprise & shoot a dragon? Just speculation on my part.

I just think Tyrion is spent after begging everyone to chill once the bell rings, and Danny then goes apeshit regardless. Throw in she's already threatened him, and his siblings are gone. I see him pulling an Aloha Snackbar type stabbing, or even grab hold of Danny as both fall out the dragon stone situation room window.

My hunch is Arya is uber pissed but the Hound found her humanity right when he departed to fight the mountain. The only killing she's got left is Gendry's new woman, if there is one. She'll end up as his me'lady, like Gendry used to tease her about.

I see Breanne finally giving in and settling down with Tormund, maybe at Winterfell or even one of the wall castles. They make giant children and are happy.

The tricky parts are what happens when Danny gets smoked. Does John inherit Drogo or do they put it down? Westeros is done so where is the new capital? Does Greyworm retire or revenge Danny's possible death? If he stays loyal to John then maybe he's the king's guard general, idk. Will Yara be the realms new admiral? Will there be military tribunals for the army that disregarded the Law Of Armed Conflict rules of prisoner treatment? Bronn is now a greedy prick, is he allowed to run high garden, or will Tyrion end him after the crossbow incident.

Bottom line imho is that whomever is named ruler, there will be a youngster somewhere wanting the throne for themselves. Basically the new cycle starts over again and no peace is to be had. Maybe the new prince of Dorne plotting a run at the throne?

Win...that wasn't the Iron Fleet. It was a fleet built by Euron Grayjoy for Cersei. His niece is back at the Iron Isles in charge of the Iron Fleet.

Dany gets it, Arya strikes again!

They also kill the dragon, no such power should be held in the hands of one person.

There is a counsel developed of the 7 kingdoms:

Starks of the North represented by Sansa.
Robin Arynn of the Vale. He will be a part of the finale.
Samuel Tully of the Riverlands. His dad and brother chose death by never ending dragon fire.
Gendry Boratheon rules the Stormalnds. Dany gave him the throne there.
It will be interesting to see who will be in charge of the Westerlands...House Lannister is about gone and I don't see Tyrion surviving. Sir Braun?
Or was he promised the Reach. House Tyrell is gone. Who rules here?
Dorne? I have no clue if they even sit on the the counsel.

Sansa will be elected the counsel leader, but the 7 kingdoms all rule together.

This is the best overview of the series downward spiral in the past few seasons. I've been trying to explain to people the stark difference of the ability of Martin to deliver through his writing, and the inability to deliver from the Hollywood guys. Because I knew that the Hollywood guys would not be able to deliver, I was expecting less. I think both episode 3 and episode 5 were very good episodes, in the Hollywood way. In fact, I think episode 3 of this season is the best of all the single episodes in the entire series.

However, I think season 8 overall is the single worst season yet.

The question posed that explains the downward trajectory was, "Why is there less involvement from Martin down the stretch?"

...he signed over the rights to the script to David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. For the last few seasons, they have made some significant modifications of the story in order for it to work better as a screenplay. For example, in the novels, Sansa is not given over to marriage with Ramsey, but that simplification works well in the screenplay.

But now that the story has gone beyond the novels in time, the plot and dialogue is being written entirely by Benioff and Weiss, and that is very unfortunate. Martin was careful to make the story surprising but compelling; when something unexpected happened, my reaction was invariably, “I should have seen that coming!” But Benioff and Weiss don't have that skill. They have greatly oversimplified the storyline. Recall in the current season 8, episode 3 (warning: spoiler coming) when Tyrion, hiding in the dungeon, speculates that maybe he should be up above since the situation might require some clever or original thinking. No, the answer comes back, this attack by the dead is beyond that. Alas, I am sure that Martin would have had Tyrion going above and doing something critical, but all that Benioff and Weiss could put into the plot was that the dead were unbeatable unless you killed the key White Walker.

Who killed the White Walker? Jon came close. So did Theon. But Weiss and Benioff had them both fail. And then suddenly, out of almost nowhere, comes Arya. Was that logical? No. Was it a surprise? Yes. Was it compelling? No. It was an arbitrary choice by Benioff and Weiss to surprise us.

So Game of Thrones comes to a plodding end. I hope that Martin does finish the novels, so we can see what really happened.

I really liked Bronn until the scene where he threatened Jaime and Tyrion. He's dead to me now, ain't nobody got time for double crossers.

I kinda liked the Arya literally flying past the NK's guard and giving him the switch hand. As a vet I'm still pissed the northerners war council got so many of their own army decimated, by pretty much shit planning. John or whoever leads needs a new wartime consigliere in a bad way.

If you didn't like the directors path on season 8 you'll probably hate the next StarWars film. Those 2 are in charge of it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/star-w...es-creators-to-helm-upcoming-star-wars-movie/

Last edited:
I really liked Bronn until the scene where he threatened Jaime and Tyrion. He's dead to me now, ain't nobody got time for double crossers.

Wait! What? He didn't double cross them, killing them would have been double crossing them. In fact, he helped them. They are the ones who have made promise after promise and not kept it. He just showed he ain't playing no games anymore.

If you didn't like the directors path on season 8 you'll probably hate the next StarWars film. Those 2 are in charge of it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/star-w...es-creators-to-helm-upcoming-star-wars-movie/

We'll see. Star Wars has always been Hollywood at it's finest, they'll probably do just fine.

I am not totally disappointed with their take on Game of Thrones, only that they were not nearly as talented in their approach to telling the story as Martin and that writer summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Wait! What? He didn't double cross them, killing them would have been double crossing them. In fact, he helped them. They are the ones who have made promise after promise and not kept it. He just showed he ain't playing no games anymore.

At bare minimum he double crossed Cersai. When both Tyrion & Jaime both set him up with his current lavish lifestyle, then he returns the favor by hustling the brothers out of a castle at crossbow-point. I get the no honor among thieves mantra and all but when you basically rob the 2 people who've helped you out more than anyone, that's a kick straight to the nards and shouldn't be forgotten.

Edit: Jaime deserved a horrible death ten times over for the things he's done over the years. I found his character very hard to like until the season the bandits took his hand. Quite a humbling experience that did him some good.

If you aren't watching 'Chernobyl' on HBO - it's pretty compelling. Hard to believe how terrible it was, how much worse it came close to being, and that it all really happened. Highly recommend. First 2 episodes available with I think 3 more coming (beginning Sunday night).

If you aren't watching 'Chernobyl' on HBO - it's pretty compelling. Hard to believe how terrible it was, how much worse it came close to being, and that it all really happened. Highly recommend. First 2 episodes available with I think 3 more coming (beginning Sunday night).

Was debating whether to watch or not. Will have to give it a try.

Started watching season 5 of Breaking Bad again. While overall I think the series breaks top 10 (The first 2 and a half season were difficult to watch), the final 16 episodes are just about as good as it gets in the medium of television.

"You wouldn't want to rob the world of Classic Coke, would you?

Was debating whether to watch or not. Will have to give it a try.

Started watching season 5 of Breaking Bad again. While overall I think the series breaks top 10 (The first 2 and a half season were difficult to watch), the final 16 episodes are just about as good as it gets in the medium of television.

One of the reasons I love BB so much (and rate it top 3 of all time) is that they go to such great lengths to build the storyline and develop and evolve the characters. The ending is inevitable, it was always going to end up in devastation, but the show never felt like it was in a hurry to wrap up loose ends for the sake of cheap thrills. The payoff doesn't come until the last 30 minutes of the series. Worth every minute of waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of HBO, we decided to give Westworld a try. 2 episodes in and really digging the storyline.

I watched Westworld's first 3 or 4 episodes but for whatever reason lost interest. Maybe need to give it another go at some point?

Ya know I did the same thing with 'The Last Kingdom'. Some shows just start out really strong then fade to a meh stage sometimes. GOT season 8 is a perfect example of wtf writing vs the 90% of quality show in seasons 1-7.

Good series though...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452/

One of the reasons I love BB so much (and rate it top 3 of all time) is that they go to such great lengths to build the storyline and develop and evolve the characters. The ending is inevitable, it was always going to end up in devastation, but the show never felt like it was in a hurry to wrap up loose ends for the sake of cheap thrills. The payoff doesn't come until the last 30 minutes of the series. Worth every minute of waiting.

And this is what has so many Game of Thrones fans up in arms. They even have some petitioning to have HBO shoot the whole season over. Bwahahahaha!!

I loved Sopranos, I place it in my top 5 of all time, even through the doldrums of seasons 4-5. There you have a writer who was not afraid to walk away without the need for the cheap thrill to end it.

Unfortunately, my favorite series of all time did fall victim to a few cheap thrills to end the series. The final season was the worst of the 5. But those first 4 seasons of that series are as good a TV gets. I know you haven't been able to get into it like I have...I lived in those streets for a little while, it hits home. I can still see it going on in that city today. What a sad, sad place to live.

I recently watched the first full season of Hill Street Blues again. What an incredible season of television and it has held up to stand the test of time. Phenomenal!

At bare minimum he double crossed Cersai. When both Tyrion & Jaime both set him up with his current lavish lifestyle, then he returns the favor by hustling the brothers out of a castle at crossbow-point. I get the no honor among thieves mantra and all but when you basically rob the 2 people who've helped you out more than anyone, that's a kick straight to the nards and shouldn't be forgotten.

Edit: Jaime deserved a horrible death ten times over for the things he's done over the years. I found his character very hard to like until the season the bandits took his hand. Quite a humbling experience that did him some good.

The way I've always seen this is that Bronn was a sell-sword. Muscle for hire, but also smart enough to know when to play the game.
Jaime and Tyrion are the closest things he's had to friends in the series so in this instance he took Cersei's money and then gave the boys a chance to up the offer. I think if they hadn't been 'friends' he'd just have offed them straight away. Also I think he knew who the losing side was going to be.

Weirdly I started watching Hill Street Blues the other day too.

It's a little dated in places, but still stands up. It was groundbreaking in it's day. Love it.

Oh God yes!

This is still my fave TV show to date.

It's a masterclass in watching this man descend into pure villainy, but the whole way you empathise and almost root for him.
And the end was just so well done.
I'm really hoping they can pull the same trick with Better Call Saul, which I'm also loving.

Westworld S1 was a great season. A real TV show that made you think, and once you figured it out it was like a lightbulb going on in your head.
Season 2 I felt lost it's way a bit. Tried to be as clever as season 1 but didn't reach that high bar.
I'm still in for season 3 though.

I'm also LOVING The Expanse (on Netflix and Amazon over here), a really smart Sci Fi show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.