• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

TV Show Discussion Thread

I stayed up till 5 a.m. this morning finally finishing ‘The Wire'. I still don't rank it above Breaking Bad but it was a great show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed up till 5 a.m. this morning finally finishing ‘The Wire'. I still don't rank it above Breaking Bad but it was a great show.

Agreed. A year or two ago I finally broke down and watched The Wire. Definitely worth it, but Breaking Bad has such a high bar to overcome.

Been hearing some great things about a comedy series called Seinfeld. Next on the list :)

Setting aside 'Breaking Bad', 'The Wire', 'Band of Brothers' - what are some of the series that you guys would rate as top 10 of all time? There are so many out there, it's tough to know what's worth investing in (from a time perspective)...

You can't throw that out to people and expect them to come up with the right formula! People are different everywhere, and what some may think as a classic (Seinfeld) there are some who don't even rate it (like me). In saying that, Wentworth is one of my favorites. This used to be called Prisoner/Cell Block H, the first series of Wolf Creek, True Blood, the first three seasons of Arrow, how can anyone go past Red Dwarf, and I've just started to watch Chicago Fire (I have all 5 seasons but have never watched any until recently), and not to forget Becker. Then there is Game Of Thrones, Supernatural (even if to hear the engine noise of their car!) and Vikings. There are some I've left out (I have never seen Breaking Bad!) and some I don't waste my time watching (Seinfeld, Friends, Sex In The City, et al).

I mean, the Sopranos have to be on that list, right? I'd put Deadwood up there as well. FWIW, Veep has won the Emmy 6 years in a row or something like that, pretty impressive. Mad Men was exceptional as well, and Buffy will always have a place in my heart.

If you liked Breaking Bad and aren't watching Better Call Saul, you should. Really fun show.

Setting aside 'Breaking Bad', 'The Wire', 'Band of Brothers' - what are some of the series that you guys would rate as top 10 of all time? There are so many out there, it's tough to know what's worth investing in (from a time perspective)...

Long running- Homeland

Relatively new- Billions

Long running- Homeland

Relatively new- Billions

Both very solid in their own respects, I follow, but top 10?

I might put Homeland up their but Billions is only a little above average to me.

The Shield...top 10 material.

Of course, the Sopranos...I just cannot watch it anymore.

Not sure about top 10 material, but Better Call Saul was mentioned, I think overall Breaking Bad was better, but this show is the one of the very best spinoffs I've ever seen.

Hell, if you want to do a top 10 list, I think Hill Street Blues should be mentioned...just not sure if it could translate to today.

I guess I was more focused on ‘worth investing time in' than Top 10.

I think that Billions is as well written and superbly acted as they come. Plus it's current and relative. Outstanding performances down the line, led by a signature effort by Paul Giamatti.

Outstanding soundtrack, as well.

A few I really enjoyed were...

Rome
The Pacific
Spartacus
Battlestar Galactica

Rome was awesome. So much gratuitous nudity. (Oh, yeah, and a good story.) :drummer:

In saying that, Wentworth is one of my favorites. This used to be called Prisoner/Cell Block H

I remember back in the 1980s watching Prisoner Cell Block H on cable with my mother. About 6 years ago I got the entire series (the original, not the current Wentworth series) with each series box autographed by Val Lehman (Bea Smith).

I've started to watch Wentworth but it's hard since I know the characters by the original actors who played them :)

I really liked Jericho, but it was canceled before it could come to a proper end. There was some talk about a cable channel picking it up but it was too late as the actors had gotten other jobs. I still wish they'd either bring it back or at least do a made-for-tv movie to tie up the loose ends that were left.

And I can't bring this up without mentioning Firefly (followed by the movie Serenity). Again, a series that didn't get much publicity on cable.

You can't throw that out to people and expect them to come up with the right formula! People are different everywhere, and what some may think as a classic (Seinfeld) there are some who don't even rate it (like me). In saying that, Wentworth is one of my favorites. This used to be called Prisoner/Cell Block H, the first series of Wolf Creek, True Blood, the first three seasons of Arrow, how can anyone go past Red Dwarf, and I've just started to watch Chicago Fire (I have all 5 seasons but have never watched any until recently), and not to forget Becker. Then there is Game Of Thrones, Supernatural (even if to hear the engine noise of their car!) and Vikings. There are some I've left out (I have never seen Breaking Bad!) and some I don't waste my time watching (Seinfeld, Friends, Sex In The City, et al).

You are missing out on arguably the greatest TV series ever not having seen 'Breaking Bad'. It takes 3 or 4 shows to really get going so don't give up on it. You can thank me later. Haven't heard of many you mention - although I did watch the first few seasons of 'True Blood' but then felt like it lost its steam. Heard a lot of good things about 'Vikings' and 'Supernatural' - thanks, may give those a look.

I mean, the Sopranos have to be on that list, right? I'd put Deadwood up there as well. FWIW, Veep has won the Emmy 6 years in a row or something like that, pretty impressive. Mad Men was exceptional as well, and Buffy will always have a place in my heart.

If you liked Breaking Bad and aren't watching Better Call Saul, you should. Really fun show.

Seen all of those except 'Buffy'.

Long running- Homeland

Relatively new- Billions

Never seen either. What's 'Billions' about?

Both very solid in their own respects, I follow, but top 10?

I might put Homeland up their but Billions is only a little above average to me.

The Shield...top 10 material.

'The Shield' - really? The main character always seemed like a pudgy putz to me, but maybe I need to give that one a chance...

A few I really enjoyed were...

Rome
The Pacific
Spartacus
Battlestar Galactica

Thanks Goal. I've watched 'Rome' before - basically 'Deadwood' in a different setting, but might be time to watch it again. Wasn't a fan of Battlestar even the original version - no interest in scifi fantasy. 'The Pacific' and 'Spartacus' sound promising - thanks!

Billions primer-

Wealth, influence and corruption collide in this drama set in New York. Shrewd U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades is embroiled in a high-stakes game of predator vs. prey with Bobby Axelrod, an ambitious hedge-fund king. To date, Rhoades has never lost an insider trading case -- he's 81-0 -- but when criminal evidence turns up against Axelrod, he proceeds cautiously in building the case against Axelrod, who employs Rhoades' wife, psychiatrist Wendy, as a performance coach for his company. Wendy, who has been in her position longer than Chuck has been in his, refuses to give up her career for her husband's legal crusade against Axelrod. Both men use their intelligence, power and influence to outmaneuver the other in this battle over billions. The high-profile cast is led by Emmy winners Paul Giamatti ("John Adams") and Damian Lewis ("Homeland") as Chuck Rhoades and Bobby Axelrod, respectively.

Nope - sounds like I need to though :)

Anybody watched ‘Narcos'?

Narcos is very good once you get used to the subtitles. Much of it is in Spanish. Surprisingly I enjoyed season 3 the most after Escobar was gone.

I've started to watch Turn this weekend and like it. Although, I admit I love anything that's got a basis in history. I've really enjoyed Vikings although I feel like it's lost some steam for me in the last two seasons. Same with True Blood.

I've watched a few seasons of Mad Men and have enjoyed it, same with Homeland. They are both ones I want to get back into when I have the time.

Outside of Breaking Bad, I would put Lost up there. I actually started re-watching the whole series again to see if I could pick up on things. Game of Thrones is another great one and surprisingly does ok when compared to the books. Until it gets to the part where they are past the published books. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.