• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Celebrity Passings

Anthony Bourdain.

With No Reservations I offer this: WTF?

This one really hurts.

Right there with you brother. I loved that guy, such a cool person and was a huge fan of his work. It's mind-boggling isn't it - right up there with Robin Williams. I don't know if this was 'depression-related' or if there was something going on in his private life that he simply couldn't face, but I just don't get how these folks have so much going for them, so much talent and success, and just hit the 'exit' button?

We all have our dark and sad moments, anxieties, worries, and fears. I suppose for a lot of people those normal human feelings become something far worse and perhaps if you haven't ever been in true crisis it's impossible to relate.

It's just so, so sad.

Kitchen Confidential was the first food related book I ever read. His Travel Channel shows, No Reservations and The Layover, were must see TV in our house. He was a bit of a personal hero and I'm not a guy who has many of those.

I think this just puts an exclamation point on something I have believed for years now...we really don't know what is going on inside anyone except what they allow us to see, and sometimes they lie about that. In fact, I'll take it a step further, sometimes we all lie about it.

I didn't realize he had been addicted to heroin and coke and was likely an alcoholic as well. So sad. I'm like you Bob (and I suspect Chris and lots of others as well) - I'm not one to worship celebrities, or even especially mourn their deaths. But this news really, really saddened me. There's no sense in it, and there's even less sense trying to make any sense out of it. The news about Charles Krauthammer is very, very sad as well. One of the few political pundits that I have always sincerely admired and respected.

I always find it interesting how certain celebrity passings affect me. Greg Allman hit me hard, I never saw the Allman brothers Band live, but they are easily one of my favorite bands. Tom Petty and Prince hit hard, and I had been fans of their music far longer than the Almman Brothers, but Greg Allman's death was tough for me.

Tonight, I discovered Charles Krauthammer had passed. Having spent many years in the service industry in South Florida, I had my share of celebrity encounters, and never got overly excited about any of them. The one time I ran into Charles at a Nats game, I was like a child, nervous and star struck.

Rest in peace!

I've missed a few that I've recognized at some time or another.

Leon White aka ‘Van Vader' has passed on June 18th at 63.

Five-time Open champion Peter Thomson died on June 20 at the age of 88.

Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul passed away on June 22 aged 54.

I didn't realize he had been addicted to heroin and coke and was likely an alcoholic as well. So sad. I'm like you Bob (and I suspect Chris and lots of others as well) - I'm not one to worship celebrities, or even especially mourn their deaths. But this news really, really saddened me. There's no sense in it, and there's even less sense trying to make any sense out of it. The news about Charles Krauthammer is very, very sad as well. One of the few political pundits that I have always sincerely admired and respected.

Been watching some old Parts Unknown in honor of his passing, and he actually mentions being addicted to coke on one of his shows. My ears definitely perked up when I heard it. He hosted a hell of a show. Fascinating, informative, eye-opening. It will be sorely, sorely missed.

Krauthammer ... well, I disagreed with him on a lot but I always read his column. If you wanted a well-reasoned, well thought out, intelligent take from The Other Side, you could always count on Charles Krauthammer. The world, and particularly this nation, is poorer for his death. We desperately need more like him right now.

Yeah. Got home from a trip and have a random selection of hers playing. What a talent. My God.

Robin Leach, dead at 76.

I always find it interesting how certain celebrity passings affect me. Greg Allman hit me hard, I never saw the Allman brothers Band live, but they are easily one of my favorite bands. Tom Petty and Prince hit hard, and I had been fans of their music far longer than the Almman Brothers, but Greg Allman's death was tough for me.

Tonight, I discovered Charles Krauthammer had passed. Having spent many years in the service industry in South Florida, I had my share of celebrity encounters, and never got overly excited about any of them. The one time I ran into Charles at a Nats game, I was like a child, nervous and star struck.

Rest in peace!

Yes! The Allman Brothers!

I was watching a Clapton bio the other night and he mentioned working with Duane - stated he was one of the most detailed musicians he had worked with.

Burt Reynolds just passed away - 82.

As a 10 yr old boy when Smokey and the Bandit came out, there was no figure in celebrity bigger than Burt Reynolds for me. He was bigger than life. RIP Burt.

Smokey and the Bandit is one of my all time favourite films.

It's not a genius work of art, but there's a charisma and charm in that movie that I love. I've always said that if I ever became rich I'd like a collection of cars and the Bandit Express would be one of them. If I couldn't be Burt Reynolds at least I could wear the hat and drive the car. :)

He was kind of like The Rock of his day. A charisma that meant that no matter the film and how crappy it was, you'd kind somehow come out of the other end enjoying it.

First movie I saw the Burt in was 'Cannonball Run'. Him & Dom Deluise were a great pairing in that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.