• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random NFL Thoughts

That's a pretty stupid decision. I swear sometimes this group of 'executives' acts like Communist Party operatives.

Die Dallas! Die!!!!

Dak Prescott is living proof that giving an NFL QB, ANY NFL QB, all day to throw is a bad idea.

Why are NFL ratings down? The league's greed has finally caught up to it

As noted by The Ringer, the rookie salary scale instituted in 2011 is largely to blame for the lacking on-field product. Because NFL owners were tired of giving huge contracts to unproven rookies, players’ initial four-year contracts were drastically reduced. The idea at the time was that this would result in more money for veterans — but it hasn’t worked out that way.

Instead, NFL teams have hoarded players on cheap contracts and shed veterans that cost exponentially more, continually dropping the league’s average age.

“Let’s be honest, the younger the league, the less experienced the league is and with that, the quality of play doesn’t start off at the same level,” Packers head coach Mike McCarthy told The Ringer. “I think what you see, particularly in the early part of the season, is a reflection of that.”

Carson Wentz deserves all the credit in the world for garnering MVP talk in the first month of his rookie season, but what does it say about NFL defenses that he’s slicing through them with ease just months removed from playing against the likes of Western Illinois and Jacksonville State?

Effing Packers just rolling over for the Cowboys. And don't anyone tell me how 'amazing' Aaron Rodgers is - because he's not all that amazing.

It's those unis, that's ****ing them up.
I mean, I get that the throwback unis are supposed to look lame, ridiculous, and totally un-resemblant to their current unis.
But at least get the colors right.
Packers are yellow and green. Not yellow and blue.

Last edited:
He's pretty amazing, he just doesn't have much help. Their OL is not that good, Eddie Lacy can't run more than 17 yards without gassing, and they have no one to compliment Jordy Nelson...oh, and their defense is not that good. Also, he can be a head case, like Brady...if you get in his head, you can get him out of his element.

Overall, that Packers team isn't that good.

He's playing like shit and he has the same challenges half the QBs in the league have, including our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they have drafted that good in recent years.

Effing Packers just rolling over for the Cowboys. And don't anyone tell me how 'amazing' Aaron Rodgers is - because he's not all that amazing.

Yeah I watched this game with Wifey, who was not best pleased by the result. Nor was I. LOL

The Packers looked terrible.

Maybe I'm a little bit biased for obvious reasons, but the Skins look like a team on a knife edge most of the time. We KNOW the Offense can play lights out, it's just frustratiing that they are inconsistent. we KNOW that the Special Teams can be great, but then they give up snafu's like yesterday. And while we KNOW that the defense is sub par, they are capable of greatness sometimes. And while we know that, we're waiting for a game where they link up all three units and all play great. When we have that day we'll look amazing!

I watched that whole Packers game yesterday and they just look.... mediocre. Flat.

Rodgers looks all at sea at the moment. That didn't look like the Aaron Rodgers I've watched the last few years. He's still smart at times, he pulled that 12 man on the field trick on the Cowboys that he got us with a couple of times last year. But boy, if we're coming down on Kirk for inaccurate throws and holding the ball too long and not throwing it away... Rodgers did ALOT of that last night. There were interceptions, batted passes, inaccurate throws and fumbles. If he's the benchmark, then God Bless Kirk getting $24million next year.

He looked at times like the rattled Rookie, where Prescott (scarily!) looked calm and composed. If I was the Cowboys, Romo is done. Dak is the future. Why put Romo at more risk when there are teams I could probably move him to in the off season. And frankly, that O-Line, with Prescott, their new running back Elliott and the ever worrisome Dez Bryant have me concerned that they'll rule the NFC East for a while yet. Their Defense didn't look half bad either last night, unless it was the Pack making them look good. The Cowboys scare me.

On the other hand, our loss to them early int he year doesn't look as bad in hindsight. Thus far our only losses were to the Steelers who were rolling before losing Big Ben, and the 'Boys who have proved to be much better than anyone expected. I think a 4-2 record with those as our only losses doesn't look that bad at all.

Going back to the Packers... I'm really interested to see what we look like in the rematch later this year. We could have had them in the playoffs last year, experience bit us in the ass though after we jumped to an early lead. I'm not sure if we played that game again now that it would play out that way again.

Jordy Nelson had flashes but didn't look all the way back. Lacy is a terrible running back. Rodgers is struggling through a slump. Their Defense looked terrible against the Boys, they just could not stop them at all.

What's worse is.... I'm married to a Packers fan... this could get hairy folks! :(

Eddie Lacy can't run more than 17 yards without gassing, and they have no one to compliment Jordy Nelson...oh, and their defense is not that good. Also, he can be a head case, like Brady...if you get in his head, you can get him out of his element.

Overall, that Packers team isn't that good.

Yeah... how come we're calling Fat Rob, Fat Rob when there is Eddie Lacy in the League? I swear when I tuned that game in yesterday I thought they were using one of their O-Linemen to play running back!

There were flashes of chemistry between Rodgers and Nelson yesterday, but on the whole I felt that they looked out of synch. It reminded me of Kirk and how he looked in the first few games, where I just felt that the lack of a pre-season meant that he wasn't quite synched up with our receivers properly. Maybe it was simply a case of the game getting into Rodgers head. He was being schooled in his own house by a rookie QB and I've never heard the Lambeau field crowd boo the home team like that... When you saw closeups on his face he looked at times, angry, confused, bemused and lost.

Oh and that defense looked awful. Really awful. I was surprised the Boy's didn't score more on them.

He's playing like shit and he has the same challenges half the QBs in the league have, including our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but he has displayed remarkable throughout his career and has a body of evidence to support that.

Y'know, the more I sit here and think about the game yesterday the more annoyed I'm getting at the NFL's no fun policy.

I know we talked about this last week, but honestly it's just grating on my nerves today. Why? Because on my lunch I went trawling the interwebs for Redskins news and found this quote by Vernon Davis...

“I have a contrite heart right now. I honestly do,” Davis said after the game. “It just makes you feel bad. Seriously. There’s some regret there, because I’m hurting the team. I went to the bench with my head down. I know I just scored a touchdown, but I went to the bench with my head down, like 'Man, this feels bad. This is horrible.’ “

It should have been such an awesome moment for him. His first Redskins TD and purely out of glee he popped a shot over the uprights. He probably didn't really even think about it.

So now we've been penalized for Archery and Basketball, but at the same time OBJ is doing the triple jump across the endzone to no punishment. I know wifey would be furious if they banned the Lambeau Leap! She loves that part of the game. If I'm a Redskin player I'm now going to try working my way through the other Olympic sports... Swimming, Water Polo, Ping Pong.

Honestly I get that the NFL wants to cut out taunting and in your face celebration that is done simply to rile up the opponent. I get it. Opponents can get mad when you beat them and rub their noses in it. But if that's the end game then why stop there?

Maybe they should flag penalties for simply running up the score on a bad team? Rubbing salt into the wounds.
Or conversely backing off when the game is won? Surely that's also disrespecting the opponent?

In each of these cases so far the player has simply been celebrating a good play. It wasn't aimed at the other team, or at the opposing fans or at some imagined offendable minority. It was just a release of happiness from an adrenaline fueled athlete who did something good for his team. Who then in Davis's case was made to feel awful about it.

This rules SCREAMS for discretion. Fair enough keep the rule around and if it's blatantly taunting or offensive by all means throw that flag.

Honestly I'm sure EVERYONE would prefer it that way. The fans love the celebrations, the players love to do it, and I'm sure the Ref's would love to have everyone stop hating them for carrying out an NFL directive everyone hates.

Grrrr

Rant over.

Hey Knight...I totally agree. The no celebration rule is totally ridiculous. Davis did nothing yesterday that OBJ didn't do and then didn't get penalized except he "used a prop"? Personally, I don't think the football, which is what he CAUGHT to get the TD, is a prop. So he popped it over the uprights. Is that really any different than spiking it? I guess to the refs it is, at least to those refs. I feel bad for Davis. He should have been thrilled and happy and that stupid flag caused him to feel like he hurt the team (which yeah, it did, but I don't think it was warranted nor obviously intentional). Like you, I think he wasn't even thinking of it.

I'd still like to see the bow and arrow Norman shot. Lol

I have no problem with the rule, you're grown men...act like it. I am in the John Riggins camp..."act like you've been there."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.