• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random NFL Thoughts

Andrew Luck just announced his retirement - this is not a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty crazy, but I can see where he's coming from. Honestly hope Jordan does the same, long term health both physical & mental should be he priority

Andrew Luck just announced his retirement - this is not a joke.

For years the NFL tried to pretend that it's sport wasn't destroying their athletes' minds and bodies. Now that players are actually finding out what the long term effects of playing in the NFL are, more and more of them are leaving the game early, and I don't blame them one bit. If I were Reed I'd retire yesterday.

Good for Andrew Luck. No job is worth sacrificing your physical and mental health over. Pretty disgusted to see fans booing him.

Bills just cut Lesean Mccoy. Wow...

Ruh roh.

Dude is definitely a problem child and a narcissistic diva, abbuser would seem to be within his wheelhouse

Ben Roethlisberger is done for the year. Right elbow surgery sometime this week.

Brees is gonna be out a while too. Two contenders probably out just like that. The NFL is a tough business.

Patriots release Antonio Brown.

To be fair, curious why Tomsula seems to get a pass from most fans? Not sure our DL has ever over performed during his tenure despite having a ton of talent.

Well Tomsula has the most consistent tier of players of any unit on the club. He's been a DC as well as HC before. Granted it was short tenure but even still, no other position coach maybe besides Callahan receives as much praise from players.

Edit: Bet you can't name another coach who busts ass during a presser without care either.

[video]https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/2/9442425/nfl-video-49ers-jim-tomsula-fart-mystery[/video]

Last edited:
Well Tomsula has the most consistent tier of players of any unit on the club. He's been a DC as well as HC before. Granted it was short tenure but even still, no other position coach maybe besides Callahan receives as much praise from players.

Edit: Bet you can't name another coach who busts ass during a presser without care either.

[video]https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/2/9442425/nfl-video-49ers-jim-tomsula-fart-mystery[/video]

I like Tomsula. But he's really on the same level as Manusky. He hasn't been a DC in the NFL. He has been a DL coach almost his entire career except for taking over as interim HC for one game for the 49ers after Mike Singletary got fired, and then he was the legit HC for the 49ers in 2015 but was fired after going 5-11. He was also a HC for a single year in NFL Europe (2006) for the Rhein Fire going 6-4.

His only DC experience was in NFL Europe for the Berlin Thunder 2004-2005. They did win the league championship his first year.

I like Tomsula a lot. But Manusky has 12 years of NFL experience as a DC. Most of his defenses were middle of the road (or more often, worse) statistically, although he did field a top 10 defense a few times during that stretch.

I don't think Manusky is a very good DC. His record screams mediocrity. In 11 previous years as a DC for 4 different teams, his D's have had an average rank of 18th for yds given up, and 17th for points given up. He's absolutely a below-average DC. Why we cannot do better than guys like Joe Barry and Greg Manusky, I will never understand.

I'm just saying there's no reason to assume Tomsula is the answer. His group is loaded with talent and yet (so far) seems to underperform. He shouldn't get any more of a pass than Manusky does. I don't care how 'rah rah' and motivational his personality is.

Bottom line. Our defensive coaches have not had great success anywhere they've coached (at least in the real NFL). That's a huge problem and I don't see anything changing dramatically despite better talent until we get some defensive coaches that are smarter and more innovative than the ones we have.

Last edited:
Manusky is Hazmat 2.0 imo and will never amount to anything more. Tomsula to me is the prettiest turd to choose from if we decide to stay in-house. Expecially if Manusky's contract is terminated in the next few weeks. Barring a miracle turn around by Tomsulaa I see us riding or dying with the current staff for the remainder of the season regardless of record.

Basically I see Tomsula as the best interim coach for the D, he honestly can't do any worse than Manusky at this point.

Double post

IMHO we're going to need a Rivera or Singletary type to get the most out of the defense. Someone that demands accountability and will not tolerate repeated mistakes and gaffes. In honesty we're probably needing wholesale changes to the staff for 2020 & beyond

Gonna leave this little tidbit about Kirk here with a lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...kings-trying-figure-kirk-cousins?platform=amp

“...The following figures sum up Cousins in big games: He has a 5-26 record against teams with winning records, a career road record of 13-24-2 and a combined prime-time record of 7-25. Since he became the Vikings' starting quarterback, Cousins has yet to lead a game-winning drive, a span of 18 games....”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.