• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Thoughts

So, figured I'd check in with all you fine people with a question: Starting a new job in September, and as the company is based in Maryland (just south of Balitmore) I will be heading there for a week of training, of which I will have a couple days to check the area out.

So the question becomes: where should I prioritize to visit, having never been to the area before? What restaurants would be "shouldn't miss" sites? Any input is appreciated. I just want to spend some good days there, and figure I might as well ask some experts in the area.

Thanks to anybody who responds. I don't know a specific date yet, just that it will be in September.

Just south of Baltimore? Where? Columbia?

If you've never been to the area, DC is a must. Even if you are closer to Baltimore, the extra drive time is worth it (40 minuets to DC from downtown B'More driving or an hour on metro/Marc train). Baltimore is OK, but DC is a must!

DC in September is a great time of year...but I would definitely shoot for later in the day, there are not many better places to watch a sunset than over the Lincoln Memorial sitting under the Washington Monument. If you can do 2 days, you can see more.

DC landmarks I love to see:

Air and Space
Natural History
American History
Portrait Gallery

All told there are 17, those are just a few of my favorites, and one you may be interested in is the American Indian Museum?

My favorite monument is the Jefferson, but it's outta the way a bit. You could do a couple museums, hit the Washington, WWII, Viet Nam, and Lincoln in a day...a long day, but the Jefferson, MLK, and FDR would be too much I think. You can rent scooters for cheap, or go on Segway tours...but they Segway eliminates Museum tours.

If it's only one day, I would suggest Air and Space Museum, Natural History, or American History, dinner at Old Ebbett's Grille, and the sunset over the Lincoln from the Washington Monument. In fact, you could walk from OE Grille to the Washington, then walk to the Lincoln as the sun sets so you can see both, and the WWII as you walk past on your way to the Lincoln Memorial.

Then? I would definitely do Annapolis over Baltimore. Dinner on the docks in Annapolis is as good as it gets in Maryland...the cobblestone streets, the many different restaurants to choose, the waterfront all right next to the Naval Academy...pretty nice. Eat a crab cake here!

And if Baltimore is your choice, stay downtown by the Inner Harbor. I try to stay away from the Inner Harbor itself unless I'm going to the Science Museum with the kids. I usually am over on Pier 6 for dinner, either Phillips (Great crab cake, just small and overpriced, plenty of other places to get good crab cakes). There is a Fog De Chao, Brazilian steak house and the Capital Grille. My favorite is the Capital Grille.

And if you really want to do a Maryland dinner, eat some Maryland Blue Crabs at Mike's Crab House North in Pasadena or Harris Crab House on Kent Narrows if you can make it over the bridge.

If you have any other questions...just ask.

Excellent response sir, thank you.

I'll be in Glen Burnie. I will definitely be prioritizing DC, and all those suggestions are excellent. Crab cakes are definitely on the docket.

Been to Fogo quite a few times, so I'll likely try some of the other places you have mentioned. And I was definitely wondering about Annapolis, so good to hear some places to go there.

As the time gets closer and I get a firmer schedule, I'll definitely check in with you for any other questions. Thanks again!

My Costco membership expires next spring and I will let it run out at that time. It's a thirty mile drive over there and that is sixty miles round trip. That's too much.

Sam's Club is ten minutes away - eight minutes if I hit both traffic lights just right. Going to get a membership there tomorrow. New members get a $25 gift card, so that will be used on some food. Gas at that station right now is $1.96.

Yeah, this is a no brainer. After thirty-two years with Costco, it is a sad and fond farewell.

Made it 45 years before having to break down and wear reading glasses. For the sake of my humanity how in the hell do you clean these damn things without leaving smudges?

Made it 45 years before having to break down and wear reading glasses. For the sake of my humanity how in the hell do you clean these damn things without leaving smudges?
I have a little gadget that cleans mine. Was given to me but i believe came from Amazon

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have a little gadget that cleans mine. Was given to me but i believe came from Amazon

Apparently my skill level is nowhere near where it should be, lol. How ya been feelin Doc?

Apparently my skill level is nowhere near where it should be, lol. How ya been feelin Doc?
I understand..i have permanent nerve damage along with heart issues. I guess im ok...still so little endurance it frustrates me. Ill be in chat for game sunday. Ive been told by dr not to get too excited...uf the redskins want to excite me all the way im all for ignoring doctor. [emoji6]

I understand..i have permanent nerve damage along with heart issues. I guess im ok...still so little endurance it frustrates me. Ill be in chat for game sunday. Ive been told by dr not to get too excited...uf the redskins want to excite me all the way im all for ignoring doctor. [emoji6]

Well let's hope they can put all of us in a good mood on Sunday and get this season started on the right foot

My Costco membership expires next spring and I will let it run out at that time. It's a thirty mile drive over there and that is sixty miles round trip. That's too much.

Sam's Club is ten minutes away - eight minutes if I hit both traffic lights just right. Going to get a membership there tomorrow. New members get a $25 gift card, so that will be used on some food. Gas at that station right now is $1.96.

Yeah, this is a no brainer. After thirty-two years with Costco, it is a sad and fond farewell.

They do have great deals there - you just have to buy bulk. The COSTCO in Crystal City used to have great wines to buy. Now most of it is packaged under the the Kirkland label.

My daughter got me a Costco membership for Christmas... I have only used it for their meats so far. Brisket, beef tenderloin, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers!" - Dick the Butcher, Henry VI

My daughter got me a Costco membership for Christmas... I have only used it for their meats so far. Brisket, beef tenderloin, etc...

Quality for a good price?

Quality for a good price?

I've had good luck with their stuff. The big upside is you can always find what you are looking for there, whether it's briskets (whole and flats only), beef tenderloin, tri-tip, lamb, they are very well stocked.

Alaska has a new ordinance now where you have to bring your own sacks to a store for bagging. Not sure on the reasoning stores no longer deal with plastic bags here but assuming it's a green initiative of sorts. Do any of you guys live in an area where you have to bring canvas bags to the store as well or is it just here?

Alaska has a new ordinance now where you have to bring your own sacks to a store for bagging. Not sure on the reasoning stores no longer deal with plastic bags here but assuming it's a green initiative of sorts. Do any of you guys live in an area where you have to bring canvas bags to the store as well or is it just here?

You get dirty looks around here if you don't use your own satchels.

Loudly, I always request the plastics bags you can purchase for 3 cents. Sometimes they mention you have to pay for them, I will ask them how much. When they tell me I say, that's cheap...give me 2 more. Of course I already know the price.

You get dirty looks around here if you don't use your own satchels.

Loudly, I always request the plastics bags you can purchase for 3 cents. Sometimes they mention you have to pay for them, I will ask them how much. When they tell me I say, that's cheap...give me 2 more. Of course I already know the price.

Our Giant doesn't even ask. They just put groceries in plastic bags. Just like the 80s.

You can bring a canvas bag if you want, but I don't. I put the plastic bags in the recycling bin and sleep well at night. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.