• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Will we sign Josh Norman?

Riggotoni

The Rookie
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this. I am very leery about giving Vinnyesque contracts like what we are rumoured to be offering, but Scot is thankfully no Vinny Bugeyes. Norman peaked his contract year, but unlike Fat Al, he was well on his way beforehand. He is approaching 30, but started his career late, so he doesn't have so much mileage. By biggest concern is how it will affect retaining players like Reed and Galette next year if they perform up to expectations.

He's not that old. He's 28 and will be 29 later in 2016.

If the 'meat' of the contract is paid out within the first 3 years then you are looking at a 31 year old corner that will turn 32 entering Year 4, when we can re-evaluate his performance and cut him or restructure his deal to retain him.

Plus if we get a long-term deal with Cousins, his cap number should drop from $20M in 2015 to perhaps half of that in 2017.

That equals the money to sign Reed and Gallette.

That's where we need to hope the new Redskins FO is a professional enough outfit to mitigate the risk that signing a premium FA will unbalance the ship elsewhere. In the old days, that would have been a scary thing to ponder. Today? We're only one year in to the McCloughan Era, but it's hard to deny the feeling that things have changed around here. Unless the contract ends up being for stupid money---i.e., busting market value for a premier corner---I'm cautiously optimistic that keeping the rest of the locker room happy is not something this FO will undervalue or overlook.

I think one thing mitigating risk with Norman is his work ethic.

Haynesworth was indifferent to the game of football off the field. He couldn't care less.

DeSean Jackson had a rep as a guy that didn't want to practice or attend the offseason activities.

Norman doesn't ring any of those alarm bells.

Okay if this happens our secondary tentively looks like....

1-Norman
2-Culliver
3-Breeland/Toler

FS-Hall
SS-Blackmon

Right?

Edit: Forgot Dunbar in there somewhere

Last edited:
I think one thing mitigating risk with Norman is his work ethic.

Haynesworth was indifferent to the game of football off the field. He couldn't care less.

DeSean Jackson had a rep as a guy that didn't want to practice or attend the offseason activities.

Norman doesn't ring any of those alarm bells.

desean attends OTA which is kind of misnamed he has missed the first 2 weeks the last 2 years though already posted an article in it and he does practice

I would like to believe Breeland moves up to #2 this year past Culliver et al.

Norman Watch!

NormanWatch.jpg

And don't forget this.

If we do sign him, we'd have some guys with attitude.
Norman.jpg

They brought in the big guns to get Josh Norman...Darrell Green

--@CWellion

What... ? Was Ade Jimoh busy or something?

Skins initial offer to Josh Norman a few days ago was already north of $13M/year. As reported Thurs, SF is in deep; JAX, TEN, TB monitoring

--JLC just now.

Some pretty pictures to help pass the time ...

Heard we sent Redskins 1 to pick him up. Good way to start things off. I am sure riding in Dan's private jet must be nice. If McCloughan thinks he can help and not break the bank, he'll be signed.

I appreciate the "wait out the early part of FA" approach . Seems to yield one prolific player annually or at least the chance at one. Lots of teams blew their load already leaving the frugal to jump into contention for the players late in the game. I really like that method.

What I do not understand is why Carolina did this now rather than after they see what they could get in the draft. I dont see the benefit for them.

Maybe Norman is scamming us and Carolina told him to go out and get an offer and bring it back and they would add $1 to it :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.