• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Shanahan squared? (Houston OC Kyle)

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Anyone in-house have insight into the Texans' offense? :cool4:

Shanahan Could Leave for Redskins

There are reports that Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will join his father, Mike Shanahan, in Washington. Mike Shanahan hasn't been hired officially by the Redskins, but he's reportedly in line to take over if Jim Zorn is fired.

Whether his son wants to join him remains to be seen.

“We all know that's part of football and as far as Kyle or any coach I have, I want what's best for them,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I think we've all known that if Mike gets back in the business, which it looks like he will, that his son coaching for him someday is very important to him.

“You can't help but hear this and that, but we don't talk about it. He's doing a tremendous job. He's done a great job with Matt (Schaub).”

I don't know much except Houston has one of the best wide receivers in the NFL in Andre Johnson who is just entering his prime. And that never hurt any offensive coordinator I remember :)

They like to stretch the field with Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels (when healthy), and Kevin Walter, and use the pass to open up the run. Its a variation of the West Coast Offense - Kubiak and Shanahan are from the Siefert branch of the Bill Walsh coaching tree.

As of today, according to nfl.com's stats, the Houston Texans are ranked #2 overall in passing with a 67.9% completion percentage averaging 8.1 yards per attempt and 291.4 yards per game. They've allowed 23 sacks this season so far and have been intercepted 15 times. Their receiving corps have averaged 11.9 yards per reception.

Their running game is terrible, ranked 31st with a 3.3 yard per carry average with only 3 carries for more than 20 yards and none of 40 or more.

Having Matt Schaub pulling the trigger doesn't hurt any either although he seems to have issues with injury. This will be just his first full 16 game season if he makes the next 2 games (he missed 5 games a season both of the last two as Houston's starter).

Houston has a very good offensive system.

Although a lot of that has to do with their QB. Schaub is very good.

It's like Arizona.

Warner is very good and makes the Cardinals offense look very good.

But when Leinart comes in to replace Warner, their offense suddenly becomes very awful.

It's all about the QB.

Kyle Shanahan in the news again ...

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100104-kyle-shanahan-texans

HOUSTON - Houston Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan told FOX 26 Sports on Monday that if his father, Mike Shanahan, returns to the NFL as a head coach, he will join him.

Mike Shanahan was fired by the Denver Broncos after the 2008 season. He is expected to return to NFL as a head coach in 2010, perhaps with the Washington Redskins.

"If he does coach in the NFL, I plan on going with him," Kyle Shanahan said.

Kyle Shanahan has been with the Texans for four years, and has served as offensive coordinator the last two. He is close to Texans head coach Gary Kubiak.

"It's real hard, but it's been in the back of my mind for a long time," Kyle Shanahan said.

"The way things went down in Denver, this might be the last opportujnity to coach with my dad."

On Kyle Shanahan's watch in 2009, Texans quarterback Matt Schaub led the NFL in passing yardage and Andre Johnson led the NFL in receiving yardage. Howerver, the lure of coaching with his father will overcome his ties to the Texans.

"I can't miss this opportunity," Kyle Shanahan said. "It might be my final chance to work with my father."

"It's an emotional time. I care about the Texans, but this is the right thing to do."

Tell you what, if Mike Shanahan to the Redskins isn't a done deal, more people are going to be saying "WTF!?" in Washington at any one time since Dukakis went Rambo.

Tell you what, if Mike Shanahan to the Redskins isn't a done deal, more people are going to be saying "WTF!?" in Washington at any one time since Dukakis went Rambo.

That Dukakis pic STILL cracks me up.

Based on what the Texans' offense has done this year, I'd welcome Kyle with open arms. If Dad could also secure Mike Zimmer as DC, I'd be downright giddy.

of course it would be a dream to work with your son and build a winning organization. i just hope gm brucie does his job and makes sure kyle is the best man for the position. remember, zorn hired sherman smith just because he was his buddy and he proved to be so worthless they had to hire two shermans.

of course it would be a dream to work with your son and build a winning organization. i just hope gm brucie does his job and makes sure kyle is the best man for the position. remember, zorn hired sherman smith just because he was his buddy and he proved to be so worthless they had to hire two shermans.

And I put the fault for that on Zorn, not Vinny or Dan.

I have a lot of issues with the old regime but I have my problems with Zorn too even if he is one of the nicest and classiest guys around any football field. His hiring of Smith is one of those issues. The guy was a first time Head Coach with no Coordinator experience so he hired an Offensive Coordinator with no experience in the position or with the system being in stalled to work with. Then he didn't hire a QB coach because he planned to do that himself.

Zorn goofed from day 1 with those decisions, IMHO.

yes, but the vice president of operations should have nixed the OC hire if someone more qualified had been available.

the list of f-ups seems endless...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.