• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com News: Goodell proposes ejection for two personal fouls

BGO

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Friday that the league is prepared to crack down on penalties. Goodell said he's spoken to the Competition Committee about a drastic fix.

More...

I like it! Just like in soccer...two yellows equal a red and the player is gone. I'd take it a step further though and, just like in soccer say that an ejection also means missing the next game and accumulation of a certain number during the season means an automatic suspension for one game as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Would Aqib Talib been ejected after that face mask then?

Having officiated soccer while I lived in South Florida, I can tell you that I was forced to eject players for a 2nd seemingly innocuous foul. I had little problem with it and would enjoy seeing ejections more common in the NFL. If they want to stop the behavior, there needs to be a consequence that will make them think twice.

Of course, it will be subject to ridicule, but there is already tremendous ridicule toward officiating in the NFL.

They should limit it to actions that are both intentional, and blatant.
Let's face it, a lot of penalties (including those labeled 'personal fouls') are unintentional - they're just boneheaded mistakes.
But some penalties have malicious intent. And malicious consequences.
If you treat all the personal fouls the same, then you're going to have guys ejected for completely BS reasons, and go way way beyond the intended perception of trying to simply create a safer sport.

Any chance they could eject for 'dabbing'?

I think it'd be okay to crack down on some stuff. Though maybe make said penalty reviewable in certain situations. Like when a safety gets a 25 yarder as the RB intentionally lowers his head.

Would Aqib Talib been ejected after that face mask then?

Yes sir. Granted, I thought the first one was provoked by the WR and was bogus but yeah, he would have been gone.

They should limit it to actions that are both intentional, and blatant.
Let's face it, a lot of penalties (including those labeled 'personal fouls') are unintentional - they're just boneheaded mistakes.
But some penalties have malicious intent. And malicious consequences.
If you treat all the personal fouls the same, then you're going to have guys ejected for completely BS reasons, and go way way beyond the intended perception of trying to simply create a safer sport.

No way to judge intent, Fear. Not really. I watch a lot of soccer these days and I see a lot of yellow and red cards handed out for plays that probably weren't intentional but very easily could have been. This would have to go by the action, mistake or not. A similar crackdown has changed soccer seriously and will, by it's nature, change the NFL.

Get rid of helmets and you would lose 75% of the penalties! Players like Meriweather would either change the way they tackle, or retire. You don't see helmets in Aussie Rules, nor do you see helmets in soccer.

You can't get rid of helmets. It's just not realistic. With the size, speed, and power of NFL players, even inadvertent hits could cause TBIs - even deaths. You want to see beloved NFL players die on TV, take away helmets. The liability issue alone makes it an impossibility.

Rugby Union doesn't have them. Rugby League doesn't have them. Are you saying that players of these sports are smaller, slower and less powerful than an NFL player? Is it because players of those sports don't need a weapon? Helmets won't prevent a TBI as nothing can stop the brain from moving within the skull, and that is what does the damage - the sudden stop, not the impact.

Due respect brother, but I'm pretty sure I know a lot more about TBI than you do :)

I, on the other hand, know nothing about rugby, so I can't answer any of your questions. There's a reason American Pro Football gradually moved to head protection and ultimately to a hard shell helmet. The violence of collisions is inherently dangerous. Even if you disagree with me, it's irrelevant. The NFL is never, ever going to remove safety equipment that would make them liable for life-threatening injuries.

I received a head knock playing Aussie Rules, and I was KOd, but I wasn't wearing a helmet. That was over 30 years ago, and I still suffer from migraines because of it. It has been proven that helmets themselves don't prevent brain injuries. They only prevent superficial damage, not long term damage.

Any player penalised for a helmet related offence should be ejected from the game, and given a week's suspension, at the minimum.

I received a head knock playing Aussie Rules, and I was KOd, but I wasn't wearing a helmet. That was over 30 years ago, and I still suffer from migraines because of it. It has been proven that helmets themselves don't prevent brain injuries. They only prevent superficial damage, not long term damage.

Any player penalised for a helmet related offence should be ejected from the game, and given a week's suspension, at the minimum.

Coaches need to teach players how to tackle...if the defender is going for a tackle, he will wrap up. Has driven me crazy how many missed tackles from our defense over the past 10 years because they went for highlight KO's instead of simply wrapping the player up.

Exactly! If players were coached how to tackle correctly, the players wouldn't resort to having to use their helmets to stop an opposition player from advancing. However, a proper tackle is only effective if the opposition does not resort to using a stiff arm. In all the years I've been watching NFL, I can't recall a player ever being penalised for dishing out a stiff arm. In Aussie Rules, you can use a stiff arm but if the player makes ANY contact above the shoulders, he is penalised. Maybe if the NFL made the head area off limits to all, the incidences of brain injuries would be reduced. Again, helmets don't stop the brain from rattling around inside the skull, and that is what does the damage. It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.