• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2016 (Continual Updates)

Thompson is fine, but we can't draft two safeties early. With Scot, you never know.

The atrocious play this season came from the strike position and that is why it figures into the mocks for now. We'll just need to see how FA unfolds. DHall and DGold could share duties at free and give the team another year or two until they bring a long term player into the fold. This is all predicated on DGold restructuring - an absolute must if he stays.

Last edited:
Players to watch at the Senior Bowl - Redskins centric only.

Jeff Driskel, QB, Louisiana Tech
Jake Coker, QB, Alabama
Jacoby Brissett, QB, N.C. State
Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford
Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech
Kenyan Drake, RB, Alabama
DeAndre Washington, RB, Texas Tech
Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan St.
Tajae Sharpe, WR, UMass
Jack Allen, C, Michigan St.
Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame
Sebastian Tretola, OG, Arkansas
Carl Nassib, DE, Penn St.
Adolphus Washington, DE/DT, Ohio St.
Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor
Sheldon Rankins, DE, Louisville
D.J. Reader, DT/DE, Clemson
Jarran Reed, DE, Alabama
Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma
Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple
Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford
Jared Norris, ILB, Utah
Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
Deiondre Hall, CB, Northern Iowa
Jalen Mills, CB, LSU
James Bradberry, CB, Samford
Miles Killebrew, SS, Southern Utah
DeAndre Houston-Carson, FS, William & Mary
Jeremy Cash, SS, Duke
Darian Thompson, FS, Boise State

Scot McCloughan drafted three players who were in last year's Senior Bowl (Arie Kouandjio, Preston Smith, Jamison Crowder). He could draft two or three, so keep a watch on these players on Saturday.

I'm watching these youtube videos you've provided BB, and I want all of them lol.

Robinson and Fuller both look absolutely awesome. We need more picks.

This is usually my favorite thread year in and year out.

BB nailed our first round pick last year. If you'll recall, he nailed our first three picks the year prior.

For those that are as obsessive/compulsive as I am about this stuff, there's one other person I'd recommend looking at this week as a supplement to BB's Redskins players to focus on.

If you want a snap-by-snap report on BB's players to watch during practice this week, you may want to add @joshnorris on twitter. He's a freak.

He started out like BB a few years ago, caught the eye of somene higher up, and now writes about the draft for NBC. You have a bright future, BB.

Here's a tweet of his from today:

You’re about to get 4.5 straight hours of rapid Senior Bowl practice reactions. Prepare yourself accordingly.

Lmao.

Pretty I can do without in this context.

Fast, though? I want my safeties to be able to cover a lot of ground. Smarts and good instincts in the secondary can take you only so far in the pass-happy NFL today. Thinking about Reed Doughty here. Even a similar guy who could maybe get by 20 years ago, say a Brad Edwards, I think would really struggle today.

Fortunately, we seem to have a GM who can see the big picture though, so a guy is fast enough for him, I'll gladly give him the benefit of the doubt.

With Chris Culliver questionable coming back from ACL/MCL surgery, I would think McCloughan is going to spend an early pick on a cornerback.

Corners in free agency that have size and can play come at such a premium I don't see the team going there this offseason for additional help.

I am just resigned to the fact the Redskins will never again have a great safety on the team. Draft picks, free agents, trades have all failed to yield a guy that is a legit pro bowl caliber performer stretching back several years.

Uuggh!

The other priority in my mind is the DL. Chris Baker, 28, was the only player last year that took a significant step forward to show he is a part of the solution there going forward.

Paea very well might be a free agent bust. For a guy the team signed right away when the FA gates opened up, he was an afterthought during the season. You could see it coming a bit in camp and the preseason where he was not getting any 'look at that guy' type comments from folks like Cooley and Walker that were attending practices.

Hatcher is not worth his cap number at 33. That was one of Bruce's final mistakes as GM.

Those 11 sacks in 2013 was Hatcher's swan song in the NFL and Jerry Jones was smart enough to see that and not resign him.

Terrance Knighton at 365 or whatever he played at in 2015 (it wasn't 330 or what he was listed at) going 15-17 snaps a game isn't worth an extension at 29 unless the team can get him to commit to coming in better shape in 2016 and bring him back for around the $4M they were paying him in 2015.

Giving him a new deal in the $6-$8 million range would be a mistake as would anything beyond 2-3 years.

Glad that you like the vids, Mike. It's part of the process here to let you and everyone see some of the prospects and place their names with those vids. Too, glad that you like the thread each year. It's a labor of love. Not sure of my future in this venue, but I wonder if they will let me work from home. :)

As for "local" prospects that we feature, it is good to see that some of them have write-ups in their hometown media.

Trying to guess Scot this offseason will be an even greater challenge than last year. He's elusive in many ways and that is a good thing.

Here are some links for you to consider - they are Senior Bowl and FA related. And yes, Josh Norris and his analysis is featured.

Need to Know: What is the Redskins? game plan at running back? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

Washington Redskins' running backs could have different look next year - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

Senior Bowl: Redskins defensive prospects | CSN Mid-Atlantic

Senior Bowl: potential Redskins' prospects on offense | CSN Mid-Atlantic

McCloughan: 'I can't see us ever moving up' | CSN Mid-Atlantic

Washington Redskins will look to bolster D-line, but Chris Baker provi - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

Okay here's my stab at a Redskin mock. Nowhere near as good as BB's but....

1 - Kenny Clark*, NT, UCLA
Height: 6-3. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 5.22.
Projected Round (2016): 1-2.
1/16/16: Clark notched 75 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss, six sacks and five passes batted in 2015. He was an impactful defender at the point of attack and was very good at stuffing runs. In the pass rush, Clark isn't terrible, but many teams will probably pull him in passing situations. He created a nice buzz with his play this season.

2 - James Bradberry, CB, Samford
Height: 6-1. Weight: 213.
Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
Projected Round (2016): 2-3.
1/16/16: Jaquiski Tartt represented Samford at the Senior Bowl last year, and this year, it will be Bradberry. He has a great skill set with size and speed. The senior recorded 45 tackles with 11 passes broken up and two interceptions in 2015. He had two interceptions in his junior, sophomore and freshman years.

3 - Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 208.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2015): 2-4.
1/9/16: Burbridge had meager career production before a breaking out in 2015. The senior established himself as the Spartans' No. 1 receiver and was very impressive. Bubridge has reliable hands, runs quality routes, has quickness, and can get some yards after the catch. On the year, he totaled 85 catches for 1,258 yards with seven touchdowns. Those are huge increases over his junior (29-358), sophomore (22-194) and freshman years (29-364).

4 - Isaac Seumalo*, C, Oregon State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 297.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2015): 3-5.
1/9/16: Seumalo returned to the field for Oregon State in 2015 and stayed healthy. He played left tackle and right guard for the Beavers, but his best position for the NFL would be center. Seaumalo could stand to get stronger for the next level.

5 - D.J. Foster, RB/WR, Arizona State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
Projected Round (2016): 3-5.
1/9/16: The move of Foster to wide receiver from running back for 2015 backfired, and he wasn't close to being the play-maker he was in 2014. In 2015, Foster averaged 5.1 yards per carry for 280 yards. Through the air, he had 59 receptions for 584 yards and three scores.

6 - Cassanova McKinzy, ILB, Auburn
Height: 6-3. Weight: 253.
Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
Projected Round (2015): 4-6.
1/16/16: McKinzy was solid for Auburn in 2015. He was the team's top linebacker, recording 74 tackles with 10 for a loss, five sacks and a forced fumble. McKinzy is a tough run defender with some speed to go with size.

7 - Curt Maggitt, 3-4OLB, Tennessee
Height: 6-3. Weight: 244.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2016): 4-6.
1/16/16: Maggitt recorded seven tackles with three for a loss across two games before a hip injury cost him the season. He decided not to pursue a sixth year of eligibility and will not return to Tennessee.
8/24/15: In 2014, Maggitt had 48 tackles with 15 tackles for a loss, one forced fumble and 11 sacks. He has played well for Tennessee and been a good blitzer. Maggitt didn't play in 2013 while taking a medical redshirt. He also had an ACL tear in 2012. Prior to the injury, the sophomore had notched 30 tackles with two sacks, five tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles through nine games. Maggitt had 56 tackles as a freshman in 2011

All info was borrowed from WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Draft: 3-4 Outside Linebacker Rankings

Last edited:
I like these guy's overall but I'd say both Clark and Bradberry could be available deeper in the draft. If they are the Skins guys then go ahead and draft them sooner to make sure they get him. I really like McKinzy but I think you might have to jump a round or two to get him.

Yeah pretty much went by position I'd like to have along with projected round. Hell my picks could be serial killers for all I know.

230 pounds and he would've repped out the bench press over everyone at last years combine? That's insanely sick. The heck with RB - play Safety, he'll have a longer career.

Here is a minor free agency update on this Monday. Second mock draft coming later next week.

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Alfred Morris, RB (Very Likely Walks)
Alex Smith, TE (Very Likely Walks)
Keenan Robinson, LB (Likely Walks)
Desmond Bishop, LB (Very Likely Walks)
Cary Williams, CB (Very Likely Walks)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Will Compton, LB (Very Likely Re-signs)
Chris Thompson, RB (Very Likely Re-signs)
Tress Way, P (Very Likely Re-signs)

Possible Cuts, Cap Savings, Candidates For Restructure:
Andre Roberts, WR – (Very Likely Cut - $3M Saved if Cut)
Jerell Powe, DT – ( Very Likely Cut - $600K Saved if Cut)

New items:
Two things may happen. The Redskins front office believes Spencer Long could move over to center for 2016 and beyond. He is bigger, stronger, and younger than Kory Lichtensteiger.

Second, there is a new thought at Redskins Park to having Trent Murphy adding some fifteen to twenty pounds of bulk to his fame and becoming a defensive end. It is believed that he would be even more effective at DE.

I honestly like the sound of Spencer moving to center. Him or Kilinminjari would be fantastic, then we just draft a beasty G to groom in Lava's spot. Boom bob's your uncle!

If the team keeps Leribus on as anything other than a towel boy I may just headbut a kitten.

Another minor update for your Tuesday - Groundhog Day. Om saw his shadow and we will have twelve picks in the upcoming draft instead of eight.

We have our first signing as the Redskins get a jump on free agency.

Free Agents Obtained:
Ziggy Hood, DE, Chicago

That's Scot going through the bargain bin and seeing if there are any items that were erroneously tossed out by someone else :)

If you can sign a DL who at 28 can come in and make the team as a depth player for no compensation and a minimum deal, that's a good move.

If you have to cut him during or after camp, it is still a good roll of the dice.

GM Scot may have said he wants 'football' players rather than track athletes, but the simple fact is the Redskins defense's #1 shortcoming is unit footspeed.

That's one of the reasons the team was so eager to pounce on Junior Galette last offseason and Gruden was so upset he got hurt almost immediately.

He exhibited the kind of size, speed and athleticism that we traditionally have not had in some time.

I would expect Scot to try and find corners and safeties that run faster than 4.55 or 4.6 and front seven players that have demonstrated quickness and explosion.

The fact Morgan Moses came on in Year 2 and made the kind of advances he did along with the development of Scherff inside, to me allows the Redskins to really focus on the defensive side of the ball in the offseason free agent market and draft.

We will still pick up RB and WR, but I expect more activity and turnover on the other side of the ball.

GM Scot may have said he wants 'football' players rather than track athletes, but the simple fact is the Redskins defense's #1 shortcoming is unit footspeed.

That's one of the reasons the team was so eager to pounce on Junior Galette last offseason and Gruden was so upset he got hurt almost immediately.

He exhibited the kind of size, speed and athleticism that we traditionally have not had in some time.

I would expect Scot to try and find corners and safeties that run faster than 4.55 or 4.6 and front seven players that have demonstrated quickness and explosion.

The fact Morgan Moses came on in Year 2 and made the kind of advances he did along with the development of Scherff inside, to me allows the Redskins to really focus on the defensive side of the ball in the offseason free agent market and draft.

We will still pick up RB and WR, but I expect more activity and turnover on the other side of the ball.

I think you're exactly right, but there are two other factors to consider:

1. No fewer than 5 other teams have come out in the last week and said their top priority is finding a pass rusher. Everyone will be fighting for the same thing. We saw it last year in the draft with teams trying to select between names like Fowler, Ray and Gregory. This year will be just as intense.

2. There is some great news however. Much like the "best WR draft in a decade" that we saw a few years ago, where anyone could get a top notch WR in the first round--Watkins, Evans, ODB, Robinson and Benjamin to name a few--this year's draft is supposed to be the best draft for D-line in a decade. Followed only by safeties.

If you need D-line or a safety, take your shot. You're unlikely to see another class like this for a long time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.