• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2016 (Continual Updates)

We have a lot of new coaches and a lot of new players guys. I think the running game will improve and you'll see it soon (Matt Jones with 1500+ yards this season is my prediction of the year :)).

I'm not sure having a star at QB equates to needing a great OL? The great ones make quick decisions, get rid of the ball, and don't expect the OL to protect for 10 seconds on every passing down like a certain fellow I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glimmering praise on a certain Redskins' draft pick...

Washington found plenty of solid value picks throughout this year’s draft, from grabbing a first-round talent in USC hybrid defender Su’a Cravens in the second round to late-round upside picks like Georgia running back Keith Marshall. But in terms of comparing my individual grades to where their picks came off the board, Fuller represents the biggest bargain.
If he plays up to his potential, Fuller could easily be one of the biggest steals of the entire draft.

Washington Redskins biggest steal, and reach, of the 2016 NFL draft | The Draft Wire

I'm not sure having a star at QB equates to needing a great OL? The great ones make quick decisions, get rid of the ball, and don't expect the OL to protect for 10 seconds on every passing down like a certain fellow I know.

I think most people would say that a good QB makes a decent OLine look a lot better, and vice versa, and is something that in general I agree with.

McD apparently wants us to relegate OLine draft picks to late rounders or ignore the line all together in favor of building a great D. Given that McL just spent a top five pick on the OLine last year, I would say he disagrees with McD's assessment - his assessment both of drafting strategy AND how good our line was before Scot got here. As Elephant pointed out, if our line was so good in 2014, Scot wouldn't have changed a thing. But it wasn't, and Scot changed over a LOT.

Continuing to build our Lines through the draft is one of the best ways to build your team. I'm not really sure why we're debating this, to be honest.

I think most people would say that a good QB makes a decent OLine look a lot better, and vice versa, and is something that in general I agree with.

In general you agree with that? That's an understatement.

Dallas can have the greatest O-line on Earth, but it can mean absolutely nothing as we saw last year. A great O-line isn't some ticket to the SB.

Seattle, Denver, Green Bay and Denver can have crappy O-lines, but that doesn't stop the teams from winning consistently.

And RG3 can make an O-line look like garbage to the naked eye.

I like building the lines. That's not the point.

The point is just that I notice a huge disconnect from what many of our fans believe (Hog love) versus what real results show, and how strongly it differs from what the experts believe.

Here's a note just out yesterday, from Louis Riddick. Take a look at his 5 most important positions on a football team:

Still, as Riddick said, the Redskins are one dominant pass-rusher away from having high-quality players at the most important positions -- quarterback, tackle, receiver, defensive end/outside linebacker and corner.

Notice how guards and centers aren't mentioned there? Maybe they aren't paid as much because they aren't quite as important?

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-...-as-tops-in-nfc-east-for-the-next-three-years

Every group can be improved on all football teams. Our O-line is above average. It's not something that prevents the best teams from making deep playoff runs most years. Yet many think we're doomed until we improve it for some reason that makes no sense when you look around the league or read guys like Riddick, Schlereth (he's a huge fan of our O-line) or the other experts.

Still, as Riddick said, the Redskins are one dominant pass-rusher away from having high-quality players at the most important positions -- quarterback, tackle, receiver, defensive end/outside linebacker and corner.

Notice how RB isn't on that list either?

It's fine....everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and rightfully so.

There's just a huge disconnect (bizarro world) between the "Build the lines and just run it like it's 1990" crowd and the experts.

McD, who is talking about last year? Your initial post was talking about the line 'years ago.'

Pass protection was great last year. Yay!

Of course the run game was still bad, even when Jones was in.

Again, was it the line, Jones, or the coaches?

Last edited:
There's just a huge disconnect (bizarro world) between the "Build the lines and just run it like it's 1990" crowd and the experts.

Nobody is saying that. I think there's just a huge disconnect between what people are saying and what you are hearing.

We had a formidable passing attack for the last 9 games of the season last year and our running game got worse.

I hope you're right, but I haven't seen or heard anything to demonstrate the magical turnaround you are espousing will happen.

I can understand your sentiment. However, I believe the turnaround has already occurred and we all witnessed it last year with a division title. No one on here, or anywhere that I can remember, picked us to win the division.

Maybe we over achieved, but greatness usually doesn't reveal itself until its time to reveal. In other words, the running game will come on, but not before its time. For the 2016 Redskins, its all about the passing game setting up the running game imho. And I'm OK with that scenario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.