• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2016 (Continual Updates)

Yes, five. Stunned me when I heard the news as well. Says he is better than he's been in many years. We'll get a chance by training camp.

Doctson is ok. Just one of those things. In a normal work week during the season, he is a full go. Now you can take a few extra days to get better.

It will be interesting to see what Murphy can do. Hope it works out for the best. The DL needs it.

I'm not sure what a 'tweaked' achilles is? It's not a muscle, it's a tendon.

Seasonal Updates:
Second year center Austin Reiter has added more than fifteen pounds of muscle and weighs in at about 315. He has looked impressive in OTAs and in the rookie camp (allowed to participate due to lack of playing time in 2015). He still has a ways to go before making the roster.

Please please please, let us have found a young future starting C in Reiter. Still feel like this is a big weak spot in the OL.

Shawn Lauvao could be on the bubble due to his high salary and injury concerns. He reports that the five offseason surgeries leave him feeling better than he has felt in many years. Lauvao is one to watch in the coming weeks.
I would 100% support this. Hoping the kid we drafted last year from Alabama is ready to push for a spot on the OL at guard (Arie Kouandjio)

BTW, great post BB. It's helpful to get a pithy summary in one post without having to scroll through the entire thread. Thanks.

I think Reiter showing real progress would put LeRibeus in jeopardy for the final 53.

It's one thing to be flexible enough to line up at any of the interior positions, it's another to play them well enough to be competitive on the field on Sundays.

I have not seen where Josh is at that level at guard or center.

If Reiter is not part of the answer I think we need to go out and sign a veteran to back up Kory.

No updates at this time as we have really hit that slow part of the year when everything seems like it is at a standstill.

Kendall Fuller (Not Will, McD5 - lol) signed his rookie contract this past week. Each draft pick is now under contract.

We'll have updates as needed. BBQ will have new blogs during training camp (Predicting the 53 plus practice squad and season's predictions).

Seasonal Updates:
After mini-camp next week, we will have our final update in this thread/blog next Friday. We’ll have new blogs during training camp that focus on predicting the 53 final roster selections and 2016 season predictions.

With the new rule of placing the ball at the 25 yard line after kickoffs (if there is a touchback), Dustin Hopkins is looking at the possibility of kicking the ball much higher and not traveling into the end zone.

Quinton Dunbar has shined during OTAs and should add superb depth to the cornerback corps this season.

With Josh Doctson being sidelined by a sore achilles, he has spent a lot of time in the playbook and observing practices.

Spencer Long continues to practice at center, but it’s still unknown at this juncture if he can be the starter.

The coaches would prefer that DeSean Jackson be at all voluntary practices, but they were impressed with his speed, stamina, and conditioning this week.

Coaches like what they see from DeAngelo Hall and Will Blackmon as they transition to safety.

Martrell Spaight could be a player to watch in the coming weeks. He has impressed at the ILB position and on special teams at OTAs.

Kirk Cousins continues to impress each week. He has truly taken command of the offense and heaps of praise each day comes from players and coaches alike.

Pro Football Focus has listed the cornerback corps as the third best in the league.

In case you missed it, the Redskins signed Kendell Fuller last week and now have all of their draft picks under contract.

After waiving TE Michael Cooper on Wednesday, the Redskins have one roster spot available. Could a veteran RB be signed or could we see a trade for one? Stay tuned.

David Bruton looks to be locked in at the strike safety position. He is hoping to expand and embrace his roles as he wants to be more than a special steams standout.

Have a great weekend. Mini-camp (Tuesday and Wednesday) is next week. Training camp starts on July 28 (players arrive on the 27th for initial meetings and physicals).

Hail To The Redskins!

BB asked me to tell everyone that he won't be updating this thread today.

He's going to be in the hospital for a few days, and he hopes to update it soon.

Feel better BB.

Our Final Update:
Greetings from the office of BBQ World Headquarters.

Personal issues have curtailed entries in recent weeks, but the efforts to pursue Redskins information never ceases.

Welcome to our final update in this thread/blog for 2016 unless unusual or extraordinary circumstances dictate otherwise. We’ll have new blogs during training camp that focuses on predicting the 53 final roster selections and 2016 season predictions.

In other words, BBQ is going to take a multi-week week hiatus and confront the challenges of this summer. We’ll have updates as needed in the “Random Redskins Thoughts” or other Redskins news threads.

When mid-October arrives, BBQ will begin to compile a new database for the 2017 draft and offseason. So yes, I’m thankful for this “vacation” and the time needed to heal.

We have one category of updates this week – something I do on occasion, my own (read, me – BB) personal thoughts on a few subjects.

Let’s get right to it.

Personal Thoughts:
I really believe that the running back situation is a mess. To a man, Matt Jones is a very good third down back and nothing more. Chris Thompson is too brittle. The rest is just camp fodder. My suggestion: Offer the Chiefs a conditional seventh rounder for Knile Davis and sign Arian Foster to a one year deal. Foster would likely be fine for half or three-fourths of a season – then add Pierre Thomas at that juncture as he knows the offense.

Despite some persistent rumors out there, I don’t think the Redskins trade DeSean Jackson this offseason. I do think this is his last year in a Redskins uniform.

Speaking of the running game. We know that Bill Callahan calls the running plays. That duty was taken from him when he coached for the Cowboys. No one denies that he is a great offensive line coach, but is his play calling for the team holding them back in the running game? If so, would a contract with more beef convince him to give up play calling duties?

I really don’t think the Lions like the idea of replacing Calvin Johnson with Andre Roberts. In fact, I’m predicting that he gets cut before the season begins.

Part of me thinks Alfred Morris does not make the final cut. If he does, another part of me thinks he gets cut during the season. This is not a hater comment, it’s just how I see it.

I believe a long term deal gets done with Kirk Cousins at or just before the deadline. The numbers: I’m thinking $51M guaranteed, six year deal at $118M.

I have this funny feeling that Kyshoen Jarrett’s career is over. If so, this is a real shame. He was quickly becoming a very special player.

I truly believe that Elephant and Bulldog’s Twin nailed it when they said the Redskins have gotten the LT position right for a long time (“30+ years”).

Hail To The Redskins!

Interesting thoughts BB :cheers:

I can't agree on Matt Jones. I know we've all talked the RB situation to death, but I'm not closing the book yet on the possibility he is a difference-making back. Henry and others have made the valid point previously that of all the positions, RB is usually a pretty easy college to NFL transition and you usually know what you have sooner rather than later. Even if that's true, I think we saw enough flashes of electric speed and physicality from Jones that we should be careful about writing him off after one season as so many here did with Morgan Moses.

There are three factors that I believe have resulted in us being overly harsh in our assessment of Jones. The most obvious was his propensity to fumble his rookie year. We need to keep in mind that of all the deficits a RB could have, it's the most 'fixable'. I'm optimistic he will get a handle on that in 2016. The 2nd factor that dogged Jones last season was the beloved Alfred Morris. Were Morris not so respected and highly thought of, Jones would've been the starter from the outset and (sans fumbling rash) likely never relinquished the role. But Morris got way more of the benefit of the doubt than he deserved based on his on the field production last year. Fans say they performed about the same last season - but that's inaccurate. Jones was clearly the more dangerous and productive back early on. His #'s only declined in the 2nd half of the year when fumbling issues arose and his playing time became much more sporadic - which leads me to my final factor. We've all heard the adage 'if you have two QBs you have no QB' and I believe the same is often true of RBs. Obviously you need more than one horse in the stable, but just as many argued passionately about with Almo, you have to have a clear starter and you have to give your #1 lots of reps. Neither Almo nor Jones got that last year. We might have seen quite a bit of growth from Jones had he been the sole starter. I understand why he didn't get the reps, and I'll concede that was largely on him. But the sporadic use of him stunted his growth in year 1 and I don't think it's debatable.

I expect him to be the clear #1 this year and I expect him to be a 1500 yard producer. But one of your other points is dead on, and that's that this would be contingent on the Redskins playcallers having a much clearer idea of what kind of a running game we are going to have, calling running plays that fit our strengths on the OL, that complement the passing game, and that our rebuilt OL begins to more consistently open up holes. I think finding or developing a capable run blocking TE on this roster is also a key. Last year, when Jones was able to break through the first and second level of defenders, he was dangerous - but it happened way too rarely and a lot of that was on the run blocking (or absence of it) as much as on Jones.

I have no idea what the Cowboys drafting of Ezekial Elliott means for Almo? I don't see any way he isn't immediately relegated to back up who only occasionally spells Elliott. I have a hard time imagining Dallas being a run first team, although when they have tended that way, they've been much more successful than when trying to ride Romo's arm alone to wins. But yeah, there's no doubt if the Cowboys truly believed Almo was still a legit starter in this league, no way they pick Elliott where they did.

I really don’t think the Lions like the idea of replacing Calvin Johnson with Andre Roberts. In fact, I’m predicting that he gets cut before the season begins.

Part of me thinks Alfred Morris does not make the final cut. If he does, another part of me thinks he gets cut during the season. This is not a hater comment, it’s just how I see it.

Is there any implication in your statements, that the Redskins may bring either one of those players back ?
Or are you simply providing updates on a couple former Redskins, and it means nothing more than that, at all ?

Welcome back, and enjoy the hiatus.

As for LT, yes, I'd agree, and as we all know, a blind hog roots an acorn every now and then. Our roster, however, has 50 some odd positions.

We've seriously upgraded talent at a number of spots over the past 3 seasons. I don't get the snark and pessimism directed at your own team?

I've come to depend on it. Like death and taxes.

Good to see you back at BGO, BB. I've got a few thoughts on your post. I agree with nearly all of it, except two things:

1. Run DMC is injured, and unless something has changed, I believe he's expected to miss the first quarter of the season. That means Alfred has temporarily moved up from number 3 to 2 on the depth chart. He'll be on the opening day roster.

2. Every so often, I notice a big disconnect between what some of our fans think, and what the national analysts/scouts think. Years ago it was that our O-line was terrible in pass protection. Our fans thought they were awful, but the scouts said they were good. Remove RG3, insert Cousins and add Scherff and the pass protection was great. We gave up the 6th fewest sacks last season.

Now I see that with Matt Jones. I can post five of these articles, but the great majority of experts outside of DC differ from what we may think. Here's one:

After a sterling preseason and September, Matt Jones looked like a potential Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate.

For a 230-pound guy, Jones shows incredible cutting ability and shiftiness. He can bounce it outside too much, but he still breaks tackles. He is a natural in the passing game and can be a three-down back. We love the way he runs and believe he'll improve. The Redskins agree; they have expressed confidence he can step into a primary back role in 2016.

Re-drafting the boffo 2015 running back class - NFL.com

I suspect he'll have a good year in what has become more of a passing league.

Last edited:
One last thing.....I also have high hopes for Keith Marshall.

I'm not very concerned about our RBs at all. The coaching or whatever maybe.....but not the RBs themselves. I think we're good there.

2. Every so often, I notice a big disconnect between what some of our fans think, and what the national analysts/scouts think. Years ago it was that our O-line was terrible in pass protection. Our fans thought they were awful, but the scouts said they were good. Remove RG3, insert Cousins and add Scherff and the pass protection was great. We gave up the 6th fewest sacks last season.

Here we go again...

:deadhorse:

You are wrong. What scouts are you talking about? Because Tyler Polumbus was nicknamed Turnstyler for a reason, Chris Chester was equally as bad, Will Montgomery would get mowed over by most big men, while Lichtensteiger was serviceable at LG. The only decent offensive lineman we had was Trent Williams, who happens to be a pro-bowler. You say we added one player, and again...it's bullshit. We also added Morgan Moses, Shawn Lavaou who got hurt, and slid Licht over to Center because our need at that position, so for all intents and purposes, we had a new starter at 4 of the positions along that line this season. And at times, even with the upgrades, our interior OL still struggled. Cousins was able to mask that with his quick release and ability to actually feel the pressure coming.

Now, you are correct that RG3 was a significant reason that OL looked bad, many overlooked that aspect, but that OL was terrible in Pass pro, absolutely terrible.

Here we go again...

:deadhorse:

You are wrong. What scouts are you talking about? Because Tyler Polumbus was nicknamed Turnstyler for a reason, Chris Chester was equally as bad, Will Montgomery would get mowed over by most big men, while Lichtensteiger was serviceable at LG. The only decent offensive lineman we had was Trent Williams, who happens to be a pro-bowler. You say we added one player, and again...it's bullshit. We also added Morgan Moses, Shawn Lavaou who got hurt, and slid Licht over to Center because our need at that position, so for all intents and purposes, we had a new starter at 4 of the positions along that line this season. And at times, even with the upgrades, our interior OL still struggled. Cousins was able to mask that with his quick release and ability to actually feel the pressure coming.

Now, you are correct that RG3 was a significant reason that OL looked bad, many overlooked that aspect, but that OL was terrible in Pass pro, absolutely terrible.

There's too much to respond to here. I posted plenty of articles at the time where everyone from PFF to scouts to former players to even John Keim said our O-line was average or better at the time compared to the rest of the league. PFF also said RG3 was personally responsible for more sacks than any other QB in the league.

That was obvious to outsiders. Not so much to those still reminiscing about the Hogs, RG3 apologists or to anyone that didn't watch a lot of other teams play.

There were other teams lining up TEs at the Tackle position while many of our fans complained.

PFF had us ranked anywhere from 8th to the middle of the pack at pass blocking while our fans were screaming murder. I really don't have the time or inclination to go search them out again.

Fast forward to today and a few more realities are evident:

1. I understand our affinity for a dominant O-line due to our history with the Hogs. Truth be told, our O-line is above average in comparison to the rest of the league, and is much more than a team needs to get to the SB on a consistent basis. Of course you have to have a defense to really excel.

2. Seattle and New England have had two of the worst O-lines in football over the last several seasons. They are also two of the best teams.

3. Once again, New England ranked as the absolute worst pass-blocking line in the league last season. https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

Shouldn't they protect their franchise QB? Every team knows that you have to protect your QB, right? Who is this Belichick guy?

And for further insight into what Belichick thought about improving their league-worst O-line, take a look at the players they drafted.

As it relates to Matt Jones, I don't see it as a very big issue or a very big fix if he doesn't work out.

From a macro view, there are two types of RBs in the league:

1. The elite, awesome, totally kickass RBs. They rarely win anything. This tier consists of Shady, Adrian Peterson, J Charles, Forte etc. Signing one of these RBs in a passing league often leads to 5-10 years of futility.

Great for FF, but terrible for winning SBs.

Marshawn Lynch is the only top tier RB in the last 15 years to win a SB. And that credit was shared with a devastating defense.

2. The second group might be lesser RBs, but are better for football teams. They win SBs. They also tend to be good at catching the ball.

If Matt Jones can fit into that second group he'll be more than adequate. He just needs to stop dropping the football.

Last edited:
McD5,

Pretty much all of your points have been addressed several times. A quick recap:

Football Outsiders (which uses a statistical metric rather than some dude writing about some stuff) ranked our pass protection 31st in the league in 2014.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2014 OFFENSIVE LINES

That's not borne out of the fertile imagination of the fans. (Superbowl Champ New England that year, by the way, was ranked 2nd.)

As I recall, Griffin only played about half the season that year. His sack percentage was not significantly different than Colt McCoys. Cousins took far fewer sacks, but threw far more interceptions. Clearly he handled the rush differently than the other two, but the rush was there.

Regarding your RB analysis, again, if you look at the past four superbowls, of the eight participants (winners and losers) five of them had a pro-bowl, three-down running back. Two of those teams won the SB. The other three participants had Tom Brady or Peyton Manning at QB.

So, looking at the macro view, unless Cousins becomes the next Tom Brady, Matt Jones needs to become the next Marshawn Lynch.

Henry, I used to follow Football Outsiders for a period of time. Until I noticed their self-admitted flaws.

The methodology they use is why you'll see their grades vary so wildly from the consensus. An example being how poorly they have ranked Dallas over the last two seasons--a line that most agree is the best in the NFL.

From their site:

Among other reasons, they don't include quarterbacks or fumbles, long runs are truncated, and a different set of adjustments is used, attempting to isolate line play rather than total team offense.

However, it is important to understand that these ratings only somewhat separate the offensive line from the running backs. A team with a very good running back will appear higher no matter how bad their line, and a team with a great line with appear lower if the running back is terrible.

FO looks more at the total offense. They look at the result of a play, and grade accordingly without separation or respect given to the talent level of a particular group.

An O-line will look much worse on their rankings if Tony Romo isn't playing. They will also grade an O-line much higher if they have a great RB playing.

McD5, your argument about our OL has been refuted repeatedly. You keep coming back stating, " they aren't as bad as the rest." Well, that doesn't pass the any legitimate measurement...the tallest midget in the room is still short.

There is a reason players along our OL were jettisoned...the FO knew they were not good. Our OL sucked and has been upgraded. If what you say is true, there would not have been an 80% turnover in less than 3 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.