• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Week Sixteen Grades, Evaluations, Questions

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Week sixteen is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Eagles. The Redskins are riding high after a blowout win for the division title. While high fives and kudos are easy to give out for this achievement, we still need to reflect on certain aspects of the game and render a weekly judgment. So now it is time to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades and evaluations. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, and opinions. Also, we have some questions to close out week sixteen.

Let

More...

Week Sixteen Grades, Evaluations, Questions​

Week sixteen is in the books and now we take a look at how the entire team fared against the Eagles. The Redskins are riding high after a blowout win for the division title. While high fives and kudos are easy to give out for this achievement, we still need to reflect on certain aspects of the game and render a weekly judgment. So now it is time to make some sense of it all as BBQ hands out grades and evaluations. Feel free to offer your own grades, evaluations, and opinions. Also, we have some questions to close out week sixteen.

Let’s take a look at the grades.

Quarterbacks:
You still like that. While there were a couple of negatives such as the kneel-down at the end of the first half and a three and out to start the game, we must recognize 31-46, 365 yards, and four touchdowns in a blowout win. At this juncture, Kirk Cousins is playing like he is the best quarterback in the league.
Grade: A-

Running Backs:
It’s safe to say that Alfred Morris is likely in his final weeks as a member of the Redskins. There were several opportunities to hit nice holes for significant yardage, but he failed to hit those gaps. Pierre Thomas (seven catches for sixty-seven yards) is quickly becoming a very valuable third down back and may see more touches. Chris Thompson was superb in limited duty.
Grade: C+

Wide Receivers:
The receivers were led by Pierre Garcon, but the defensive scheme that Chip Kelly designed was likely employed to limit the threat of DeSean Jackson. Other targets limited their production, but Kirk Cousins effectively utilized the running backs and tight end in the passing game. BBQ still awards the receivers with a high mark as they served as great “decoys”.
Grade: A

Tight Ends:
Over the last three games, Jordan Reed has been able to produce twenty-five catches on twenty-seven targets, five touchdowns, and 333 yards receiving. He delivered another dominating performance. We have nothing else to add.
Grade: A+

Offensive Line:
Just like the previous week, they weren’t perfect, but darn close. We know about Trent Williams. Brandon Scherff is quickly becoming an elite guard. Morgan Moses is just a beast. Even Josh LeRibeus is looking good. Take a look as these three in action from last Saturday night. https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status/681830261693124610

Defensive Line:
This unit totally shut down the Eagles running game and created havoc in the passing game with four sacks and plenty of quarterback hurries and hits. We could argue that Sam Bradford had 365 yards passing, but that offense is designed to pass first, pass often, and do so quickly. Also, much of it came in “garbage” time. Under a more traditional offense, the defensive line would probably have a hand in 150 fewer yards passing.

Linebackers:
We credited the defensive line with four sacks, but three of them came from a linebacker (Preston Smith) who lined up opposite the offensive line. Will Compton had a sack and another monster game, but we can’t overlook the contributions of Mason Foster, Ryan Kerrigan, and Trent Murphy.
Grade: A

Cornerbacks:
The corners had some struggles throughout the game and were badly exposed on some plays. It is fortunate that several overthrows bailed them out. Bashaud Breeland had a solid game, but Quinton Dunbar struggled mightily. Facing the Eagles offense is a huge challenge for any corner and the hope is that Dunbar learned a few things.
Grade: C

Safeties:
You can’t be unhappy when your free safety scores a touchdown. You can be unhappy when they have zero interceptions and zero passes deflected. In other words, they helped to contain the running game, but struggled in pass defense.
Grade: C+

Special Teams:
The special teams had a fairly bad night (especially in the first half) and made a number of mental mistakes. A missed extra point. Holding on a decent kickoff return. Fielding punts around the five yard line. At least two poor snaps on two kicking attempts. All of that was, quite frankly, ugly. Fortunately, the second half was better all-around and if it wasn’t for a victory, this unit would’ve scored one full grade lower.
Grade: C-

Coaching:
The defense was well prepared in the trenches and the front seven was stellar, but the secondary had some issues and blown assignments. The offense was firing on all cylinders, but the running game did struggle a bit. Special teams continues to be an Achilles heel - even as Dustin Hopkins and Tress Way continue to impress.
Grade: B+

How would you grade each position and the coaching staff? After this showing against the Eagles, are you thinking that the Redskins can win a playoff game? Maybe more? Kirk Cousins continues to impress. Has he erased all doubts? Can anyone stop Jordan Reed? What Redskins gifts did you get and/or give for the holiday? What will the strategy be for the game against the Cowboys? Rest the starters? Play them? What are you expecting against the Cowboys? On to week seventeen - the final game of the regular season.

Have a happy, healthy, prosperous, safe, and wonderful new year.

See you again next week with grades, evaluations, and questions.

Hail to the Redskins!

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson
Re: #Redskins WR DeSean Jackson, sources tell me that “the organization likes him a lot and wants him around.” Contract expires after 2016.

BBQ's Interpretation: They do indeed like the big play abilities of Jackson, but would love to lower the cap hit and spread his contract out an additional two or three years. Look for that to happen.

Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikCSN
Cousins: I love football. When I'm home after we play, I watch football. In the offseason, I watch football. That's what I do.

BBQ's Interpretation: Look for Cousins to play at least one half, possibly three quarters on Sunday. There are a few records within reach and he will certainly want to play.

#Redskins RB Matt Jones (hip/abdomen) has returned to practice. He was out Sunday. He's also wearing some extra pads around midsection.

BBQ's Interpretation: Don't look for him in Sunday's game. He will likely stay sidelined by the staff and have him ready to go for the playoffs. There is an outside chance of playing one or two series.

https://vine.co/v/iq9WzdXdjLZ

BBQ's Interpreation: Whoa!

I don't know that Jones sees the field in a playoff game given his penchant for fumbles and missed assignments.

He missed plays in pass protection that really could have hurt the quarterback if Kirk was not fast enough in releasing the ball.

Then he lined up on the wrong side of the line of scrimmage TWICE in the same game.

All of this was in the last month, so it's not as if we are talking about a rookie's travails in September or October.

As Howie Long said 'by December there are no more rookies'.

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson
Re: #Redskins WR DeSean Jackson, sources tell me that “the organization likes him a lot and wants him around.” Contract expires after 2016.

BBQ's Interpretation: They do indeed like the big play abilities of Jackson, but would love to lower the cap hit and spread his contract out an additional two or three years. Look for that to happen.

Cousins: I love football. When I'm home after we play, I watch football. In the offseason, I watch football. That's what I do.

BBQ's Interpretation: Look for Cousins to play at least one half, possibly three quarters on Sunday. There are a few records within reach and he will certainly want to play.

#Redskins RB Matt Jones (hip/abdomen) has returned to practice. He was out Sunday. He's also wearing some extra pads around midsection.

BBQ's Interpretation: Don't look for him in Sunday's game. He will likely stay sidelined by the staff and have him ready to go for the playoffs. There is an outside chance of playing one or two series.

https://vine.co/v/iq9WzdXdjLZ

BBQ's Interpreation: Whoa!

read an article on cousins after the games he won't sleep till he looks over every play he made to see where he can do better
then earlier this year I read an article that cousins watched Tom Brady and sees how he moves in the pocket and the way he hangs in the pocket

It appeared to me that ALMO was just starting to hit his stride right before the half. Then McVay said "**** the run" & it never rekindled.

Don't know what's wrong with the kid but he's a shell of what he was 2 seasons ago.

It appeared to me that ALMO was just starting to hit his stride right before the half. Then McVay said "**** the run" & it never rekindled.

Don't know what's wrong with the kid but he's a shell of what he was 2 seasons ago.
Getting constantly pulled during every game of the year, most times not justifiably so, for a rookie who has done no better, and fumbles, has castrated the best offensive weapon we've had the last 4 years.

Due respect, but I think that's nonsense. Do you think these coaches don't want Alfred to perform like he did his first two years? Granted - a RB's success is always tied to playcalling, blocking, etc... Very few backs, if any, can do it alone. But he has been awful guys. Tentative, unsure, he's not even consistently falling forward and gaining yards no matter what - something he was always able to do before. I have been a Morris fan from day one, but he's played horribly this year. And as I've said before, observing him shake his head and show frustration after many plays, I think he knows it too. I don't know if there's something physically wrong with him or if 4 years of selfless hard fought runs has taken something out of him. But somethings not right. Truth is, setting aside fumbles and poor decision-making, the other backs HAVE looked better most of the time. The coaches job is to win games. When the running game is doing nothing, they have to make a change. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't respect and admire the guy they are replacing. But you cannot expect them to watch Almo run into a wall 30 times a game, because he might break one or get it going. He has to show them something. And he hasn't shown them much.

Love Alfred but I have to agree with Boone.

Something is bad off with him and it will be interesting when it finally comes out what's going on with him.

It doesn't really matter though, because we've morphed into a pass first club that looks at the running game as a novelty.

But we're winning and that's all that matters.

My only worry on offense is that,pretty soon, we're going to need some semblence of a run game and it just won't be there.

Well, we obviously disagree, Boone.

I've seen game after game, whether his first few carries were successful or not, him getting pulled by Gruden for his preferred back. I've heard Keim, Bashir, and other local sports reporters say several times, that when Gruden says he doesn't care which running back is in the game, he's clearly lying. Their words, not mine. Not that I think any reporter is fully reliable, it does suggest that I'm not the only who who sees it.

To continue to give Morris the token "start" only to pull him after 2-4 plays, regardless of production, is also an insult. I would agree that Morris looks worse now, than he did at the beginning of the season. I contend the public castration by the team/head coach has played the largest role in his demise. If his play is so dreadful because he's "lost it", Gruden should have the common courtesy to release him. But, as seems to be his MO, he'd rather send him to Siberia. He should have known, after misusing him last season, when few if any were questioning his ability, that he wasn't a fit for his "system", whateverthe**** that is.

I agree Alf has not looked the same but the last few games he's looked better, at least in terms of negative yards.
With the 'reborn' threat of the passing on any down the run game should be getting better.

The crazy 40 something yard that Alf broke off (can't remember which game but there was urgency to the drive) the break away speed was clearly lacking, I kept thinking he should go OB to stop the clock. I know he's not a burner but it surprised me that at the time he turned back inside, keeping the clock alive.

MOJO, how we miss thee.

Honestly - when I saw Almo start last week, after an absolutely awful performance the week before, I was shocked. He hasn't earned the starting role this year, not by a longshot. Folks seem to have this need to personalize player decisions. Whether it's Santana Moss a couple years ago, then Griffin, now Morris. There's nothing personal about it. I bet Gruden, McVay, and Callahan (and its the 3 of them making decisions btw) do play favorites. They favor players who show they can get the job done. I'd favor someone other than Alfred Morris right now too - and all season. Because except for one game (where the run defense was so bad both he AND Matt Jones broke the 100 yard mark), Morris has been awful. Not sub-par, not average - he's been bad. That they keep putting him out there to start games to give him a chance speaks to the respect they have for the guy. They want him to succeed and be the guy. But he hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity.

I don't know if they'll move on from Morris after this year. Have to think it's more likely than not. And if the primary reason is less performance and more Morris not fitting the 'scheme' (Gruden and McVay clearly want backs who are great receivers out of the backfield) is there really anything wrong with that?

Anyway - bigger fish to fry today. Beat the Cowboys.

Last edited:
Excellent analysis BB.

Some additional thoughts:

on CB: I think Blackmon has been fairly uneven. I guess he's always been a bit like that through his career but sometimes he's a head scratcher. Going back to the 1st Dallast game - dropping an Int with less than 2 min's to go in the game. No excuse for a 9 year vet to not make that play in that situation.

on DL: Baker has probably been their best. Usually he comes in for pass rushing plays and can get through the middle as well as getting around/through the OT. But he's proven really, really good against the run also.

on RB: I don't think there's a coincidence that the backfield blocking has shot up since Pierre Thomas has shown up. He's picked up a lot of slack.

on WR: Overall as a group there seems to be a lot more effort in going after balls recently.

on QB: Well there's no doubt he's been staying consistent and improving from week to week. I don't know much weight anyone puts in QBR and/or Total QBR but he's #7 in both lists for the season. Since game #9; QBR 122.1 & in Dec 121.1. He's taken more sacks but only thrown 2 Int's in the 2nd half of the season. A fair trade-off.

Honestly - when I saw Almo start last week, after an absolutely awful performance the week before, I was shocked. He hasn't earned the starting role this year, not by a longshot. Folks seem to have this need to personalize player decisions. Whether it's Santana Moss a couple years ago, then Griffin, now Morris. There's nothing personal about it. I bet Gruden, McVay, and Callahan (and its the 3 of them making decisions btw) do play favorites. They favor players who show they can get the job done. I'd favor someone other than Alfred Morris right now too - and all season. Because except for one game (where the run defense was so bad both he AND Matt Jones broke the 100 yard mark), Morris has been awful. Not sub-par, not average - he's been bad. That they keep putting him out there to start games to give him a chance speaks to the respect they have for the guy. They want him to succeed and be the guy. But he hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity.

I don't know if they'll move on from Morris after this year. Have to think it's more likely than not. And if the primary reason is less performance and more Morris not fitting the 'scheme' (Gruden and McVay clearly want backs who are great receivers out of the backfield) is there really anything wrong with that?

Anyway - bigger fish to fry today. Beat the Cowboys.

We have no running game. It clearly is not a point of emphasis for Gruden. We're winning now, so it's all good, but as DP said, if it comes back to bite us in the ass in the playoffs... We've gone over this debate ad nauseum over the past 4 months, but the bottom line is that Morris doesn't look good, and hasn't played well - but then again, neither have any of our backs. Once or twice did I see Jones hit a hole with authority - most of the time he was as tentative as people say Alfred is.

We can debate why our rushing attack is non-existent, but for right now, it doesn't really matter. Kirk is leading this team through the air, if we advance in the playoffs it will be because of his arm, not because of anyone's legs.

The local guys are saying that the locker room loves Gruden, even last year when crap was happening on the field he didn't loose the room.
So take your pick, believe what you think is going on or believe reports that come from sources that are actually around the team looking for anything to go to press with and revive the drama that they love so much.

He's great.

Top 5 HC in the league right now. Just surprised that he took a gamble on DC.

We have no running game. It clearly is not a point of emphasis for Gruden. We're winning now, so it's all good, but as DP said, if it comes back to bite us in the ass in the playoffs... We've gone over this debate ad nauseum over the past 4 months, but the bottom line is that Morris doesn't look good, and hasn't played well - but then again, neither have any of our backs. Once or twice did I see Jones hit a hole with authority - most of the time he was as tentative as people say Alfred is.

We can debate why our rushing attack is non-existent, but for right now, it doesn't really matter. Kirk is leading this team through the air, if we advance in the playoffs it will be because of his arm, not because of anyone's legs.

i don't think we would be in the playoffs if they stuck to the run all season.

i don't think we would be in the playoffs if they stuck to the run all season.

I disagree, but not in the way that you think. One of the reasons I have been impressed with Gruden as of late is that he HAS stuck with the run, even when it wasn't working. Dogmatically in some cases, in fact. It has opened up the playbook for us to use playaction a lot more than if he abandoned it like he was doing early in the season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.