• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan & Portis

. The problem they are also, in all likelihood, the only players another team would want.

The Snyderatto regime painted the Redskins into a nasty corner in this respect, didn't they-especially considering how some players have either stepped up their game or, having been given the opportunity, demonstrated they can be a help to the team. I had trouble thinking of who I might be willing to let go of for this very reason-the ones easiest to part with are the ones that no one else would really want. Sheesh.

My take is Portis won't be back next year, he seems to realize it also. I have no idea who will take over his position but I expect we all will be suprised if he remains.

Let's not forget about shedding ARE, Griffin, and Randy Thomas.

The uncapped year can allow us to dump more than a few overpriced dudes.

1. Portis isn't mentor material. The thought of him being here to tutor a guy at a position where the transition to the NFL is often not that difficult seems laughable. Especially at a salary over $6M.

2. The team would be stupid to trade Landry at a time where his value is less than it would be if the team ever played him at his natural position. Don't expect Allen or the new HC to let the FS experiment continue in 2010.

3.Moss is 31 and is of greater value to Washington than anyone else. Want to trade him for a #5 or #6 pick? I don't see that as getting value.

4.Rogers and Campbell may be back with the new staff. Previous biases will now be forgotten and if Shanahan wants Campbell to stay he will stay.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I agree about Portis Bull, I was just saying that's really the only way I could see him staying, but as you said there's no need for it.

Sources inside Redskins park say Portis has "corroded the organization from inside out." Pretty damning words, and something an intelligent guy like Allen will recognize early. Could be the first real test of Allen's authority, whether or not he can get rid of Portis.

Corroded? How exactly? Maybe I'm just blind or something, but I haven't seen anything to come to that conclusion IMO.

Corroded? How exactly? Maybe I'm just blind or something, but I haven't seen anything to come to that conclusion IMO.

Read the thread I posted about Blache and Gray denying that they interviewed for the HC position - part of that article is where the Portis comments came from.

love the prospect of a tandem TE set, but is there anyone else on the roster that could be used as tbait?

Landry. (somebody will be convinced he can be turned into an elite safety)
Carlos Rogers (since he's a RFA).
Jason Campbell (also a RFA).

Although I'd like to see us keep Campbell.

Portis gives Shanahan thumbs up vote

Portis, who hasn't played since suffering a concussion Nov. 8 and was placed on the season-ending injured reserve liston Dec. 8, said he thinks he could again be an effective running back under Shanahan. Portis began his career playing for Shanahan in Denver, where he twice topped 1,500 yards and scored a combined 31 touchdowns in two seasons. He has topped 1,500 yards just once in six seasons in Washington and has never matched his Broncos touchdown numbers.

"You've seen my track record with Mike Shanahan," Portis said.

Speaking today for the first time since Bruce Allen was hired as general manager last week, Portis acknowledged the team's evaluation process and offered an endorsement for himself and his abilities.

"I think my evaluation would be great," he said. "It just depends on how people feel about you. I'll leave that up to them to decide."

Wow, this schtick came way sooner then I figured. Can you say delusional ?

Last edited:
Portis' body of work from 2004 and 2005 is meaningless to a team that will be looking to rebuild.

It was painfully obvious in 2009 that the Redskins lacked ANY players in the backfield that could get to the edge on an NFL defense and show any type of big play ability as a runner or receiver.

In the WCO perhaps it was most heinous that none of the backs turned into the type of sterling pass receiver out of the backfield that you see in a Brian Westbrook or Reggie Bush.

Portis at 28 has logged more carries than any other back this decade next to LaDainian Tomlinson.

You see that in San Diego the Chargers have Darren Sproles there as a 1A player to Tomlinson already, anticipating the transition.

The Redskins need to find another back who can present what Clinton did 5 years ago.

There really should be no cause for ill-feelings as Clinton said.

He played here for 5 years, was supported by the fans for most if not all of that time, and collected top 5 money for his efforts so he never has to work again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.