• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Rex Grossman, Franchise Quarterback?

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Stop booing Roger Goodell for a second. Put down the Yuengling and Buffalo Wings. Take a break from trying to decipher what the hell it is that Chris...

More...

Well, I'm more of the opinion you don't take a QB to be a franchise QB unless you consider him a can't miss. Which apparently couldn't be said about any of the QB's in this draft from what I've seen. Which with our luck means they'll all be pro bowlers. :)

I think there's far more risk there than in trading down and gambling on finding some solid contributors in the lower rounds.

I'm not sure if this means they are sold on Rex, I have to doubt it based on his history and his play last year. But you never know.

Beyond his INTs (many of which occurred in garbage time), I think the Redskins liked what they saw from Rex considering the situation he came into. He moved the ball. That offense looked like an entirely different one in terms of being able to move the chains and score in the red zone than the one we saw most of the rest of the year.

Honestly - I believe we'd have won at least 3 more games last season had Rex been behind center. I believe the Shanahans think so too. I also think the Shanahan's MO is that they think they are smarter than the rest of the NFL, and that they can rehab Grossman and reduce the mental errors.

We'll see if I'm right soon enough. And if they do go with Grossman for the next 2-3 years, it'll be fascinating to see what the Shanahan's can do with the guy.

I wasn't put off by his play, I just have reservations based on his past. Had had a few of those boneheaded moments, but not necessarily any worse then any other QB would in the course of a season. It's just hard to forget the past. You may be right that they think they can fix that. If so, great. It will be fascinating if they do decide to hitch their wagon to him.

Interesting. Mort and Schefter talking now about Beck. They both have said they feel there could be a good chance that Rex is resigned, but that Beck ends up the starter. They both say Shanny likes Beck a lot and feels he was pressed into service too quickly in MIA. Considering Schefter's relationship with Shanny, I'm inclined to listen some.

As Om pointed out - Beck could be the alternative explanation for our inactivity on the QB front. I'm not sold that's the case. But it's not an impossibility either.

Schefter tweeting:

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
With Washington passing up chance to draft a QB first six rounds, the signs now point to John Beck as the Redskins opening-day starting QB.

Boone may be right about the Shanny's opinion of Grossman but I just can't see McNabb being on our opening day roster. However the draft Gods smiled on us when it comes to the NFL version of the blunderbuss that we tried at QB last season.

Several QB needy teams passed on the alleged superstar QBs of the future and all may be interested in sending us some sort of compensation in exchange for McNabb. The Cards and Bills immediately come to mind. However the Vikes might also be a trading partner as well. They reached in a big way for Ponder who certainly has the talent but also comes with a host of injury concerns as well. Behind Ponder the Vikes have zero, zilch, nada. McNabb could make sense for any one of these teams. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we might get a 3rd in exchange for him. Maybe it's a pipe dream but after suffering through last season I think we're entitled.

Let's hope you're right Y. If I felt McNabb could step up, knock of his self-imposed pity party (that's always been my issue with him - he's got a serious drama queen issue going), and open himself up to coaching input, I'd forgive all and accept him back as a starter.

I just don't believe he has it in him. He was comfy and cozy as the entrenched starter in Philly. He didn't like being challenged or criticized then, and he sure as hell doesn't like it now. We're better off without him in my opinion. If we can get some value for him, all the better.

McNabb is right to be petulant....he had a horrible supporting cast. he's history so no sense wasting cyber ink on him.

Rex Grossman? Next.

You might want to get right with Jesus on Grossman. If I'm anywhere near right, he's going to be the guy for awhile. And honestly - I'm not convinced that's a disaster. The idea requires an open mind though, I'll grant you that.

Pass.

I can't stand even watching the guy. he's not an athlete, his passing motion looks pop warner league to me, it's a guessing game each time out whether this is the game he elects to turn the ball over a couple times, he has no long ball.

guarantee you he will be back - there's no market...zip...nada...zero...for him as a starting QB anywhere in the league.

I think that's a pretty harsh assessment. You're talking about a guy who, when he plays well, is capable of multiple touchdown production and 300 yard games. If Shanahan could eliminate the horrible decisions/implosion tendencies (I'm not saying he can, I'm saying if he could), Grossman is a very good QB.

I don't get the 'he's not an athlete' comment. He's not Michael Vick. Neither are 2/3rds of the rest of the NFL's QBs. But the guy has some native ability and talent.

I agree there won't be much of a market. That's based on his history, and that's perfectly reasonable. I'd only differ in that I believe, under the right circumstances, there's a pretty damn good QB buried somewhere in there. Whether the Shanahan's can uncover him, that remains an open question.

I

I don't get the 'he's not an athlete' comment. He's not Michael Vick. Neither are 2/3rds of the rest of the NFL's QBs. But the guy has some native ability and talent.

Just my personal observation from watching his body motion. I cringe every time he rolls out/or has to escape the pocket...it just doesn't look fluid or athletic to me.

it'll be very trying for me next season...despite all my frustration/blather about these guys...I watched or listened to every game since I can remember. I dislike watching Grossman so much that it will be a challenge next season between wanting to see the progress of all the new players vice having to suffer through Rex ball.

Grossman, Beck they're all just pink elephants, pink elephants on parade.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfLpnXQpjvw[/media]

Grossman seems to me as a placeholder at best. With a great team around him he can take you into the playoffs as he did with Chicago, but he's not the kind of QB that'll win games for you all by himself. As for Beck, I don't know much about him, but isn't he already fairly old (he turns 30 this year), which makes me wonder why he would suddenly become so great after being a back up for so long. That's an awfully late bloomer.

I don't see either of them as more than placeholders, China. Rex's talent and potential, IMO, lies somewhere between What FS and Boone think. He is better than FS gives him credit for, but I think what drives Al crazy is the mistakes. Shanny can fix some of those perhaps, but Rex has shown that he has poor judgment, and I'm not sure that ever completely goes away. Look at Favre - never went away completely. Making mistakes because you mis read the coverage or we unclear about a route being run, or should have had better pocket awareness is one thing; poor judgment, IMO, is completely different. Knowing for sure which mistakes are due to teammates and which are his fault is difficult. Some of them are correctable, but my concern is that when things break down, Rex's bad judgment will rear it's ugly head.

Beck is interesting, mostly because he is a completely unknown quantity. Yes, he is 30, but it is a young 30. I am just guessing on this, but if he went to BYU, could he have gone on one of the Mormon mission trips that is required and thats why he is a bit older? Anyway, I don't see him being the answer as very likely either. I feel like you do China, that talent usually bubbles up, and the fact that it hasn't yet for Beck is worrisome. Also, fair or not, at this point given the McNabb fiasco, I trust the Ravens scouting department more than ours when it domes to QBs. Not a great sign they gave him up so willingly.

My guess is that we are looking to draft a QB at this time next year.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

And by the way, if either guy isn't the long term answer, and the Shanahans suspect that, kudos To them for not jumping on a guy they weren't completely sold on. They had opportunities, but felt (apparently) either there was better value elsewhere or none of these guys were franchise guys. So good for them for not feeling compelled to do something.

I am looking for a link or something, but I have heard and read from. A couple of people that next years QB class has potential to be one for the ages. Much better than this year.

And by the way, if either guy isn't the long term answer, and the Shanahans suspect that, kudos To them for not jumping on a guy they weren't completely sold on. They had opportunities, but felt (apparently) either there was better value elsewhere or none of these guys were franchise guys. So good for them for not feeling compelled to do something.

I am looking for a link or something, but I have heard and read from. A couple of people that next years QB class has potential to be one for the ages. Much better than this year.

agree.

can't remember where....but I came across an article someplace that projected next year's QB as better than this years.

agree.

can't remember where....but I came across an article someplace that projected next year's QB as better than this years.

Just for ****s and giggles I scanned over Walterfootball's 2012 Mock Draft. There is now way any significant legitimacy can possibly be given since it is a year away and we have no idea what will happen in that time, I just wanted to see what kind of QB's will be there next year.

There are only 2 that are projected to go in the 1st round so far for next year. They projected 2 in the 1st round last year, which there were.

Where is this report that next year's class is going to be deeper in talent? Andrew Luck is projected to be the next must have QB, and the kid out of USC is projected high, but that's it for the first round. There were 4 QB's taken in the first 12 picks this year. I don't see that happening next year. The only thing I see is Andrew Luck is being projected as a sure thing.

Just for ****s and giggles I scanned over Walterfootball's 2012 Mock Draft. There is now way any significant legitimacy can possibly be given since it is a year away and we have no idea what will happen in that time, I just wanted to see what kind of QB's will be there next year.

There are only 2 that are projected to go in the 1st round so far for next year. They projected 2 in the 1st round last year, which there were.

Where is this report that next year's class is going to be deeper in talent? Andrew Luck is projected to be the next must have QB, and the kid out of USC is projected high, but that's it for the first round. There were 4 QB's taken in the first 12 picks this year. I don't see that happening next year. The only thing I see is Andrew Luck is being projected as a sure thing.

El...can't remember where I heard it. have heard it stated on many NFL radio talk shows. by all accounts NONE of this years QB draftees were considered upper tier prospects...they all have development asterisks after their names.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.