• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Redskins Resolutions

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
It’s that time of year - time to pause, to reflect on the 365 days gone past, and to make steadfast promises to ourselves for those ahead. If you’re...

More...

I always enjoy your posts Boone. And I agree with a lot of this. Especially points 10, 7 and 4.

I respectfully disagee with number 9 strongly. And I believe the franchise could improve greatly from listening to a select group of fans. From the game experience(we finally have jumbotrons), to the coaching(Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, Galloway), I certainly believe this is one franchise where many fans could do a better job than those in charge. Not in terms of the x's and o's, but in terms of management.

Last edited:
Thanks brother, right back at ya!

The only thing i will add to this is regarding number nine as well. Those of us who are upset with Shanahan are not upset because of his record, but because of the way he has handled things. I fully grant that we do not have all the information that the FO does, and there may be things that would complete the puzzle better to give us a better picture of what goes on. But my main complaint stems from the fact that Shanahan either vastly overestimated the talent on the rest of the team, or overestimated the talent McNabb brought to the table. Either answer is not particularly appetizing. Not saying i know better, and not saying that Shanny should be fired. Just offering a little insight into why some of us are frustrated. It's not so much the record as the other stuff.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Agreed Goal. Thing is, the whole 'the fans don't know' stuff is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Truth is, there are a lot of *smart* fans, and many of them have challenged and questioned decisions that, in retrospect, deserved to be challenged and questioned. But there are plenty of fans whose biggest problem is, short of playoffs every year and a Super Bowl run, are calling for coaches to be fired.

Shanahan has made his share of mistakes, and I think you're dead-on that his two biggest were over-estimating this roster's talent level, and placing a value on Mcnabb far beyond what it really was. To be fair, I think most of us expected to see at bare minimum, a more competent version of Mcnabb this season.

Goldeje....without even talking about Shanahan, real fans like those on this site could have run this organization better over the last five years. Even without making a single on-field or roster decision.

Jumbotrons. With all due respect to Karl Swanson--especially in light of the fact that he was a big supporter of OM years ago, and OM speaks highly of him......he really didn't need to come out and tell everyone that FedEx couldn't get HD jumbotrons because the stadium was only wired for analog. Then U2 came in two months later on tour with enormous HD jumbotrons.

Again, no disrespect to Karl. I am sure it was either unintentional because he simply isn't a tech guy--I'm not either, or because he was handed the company rebuttal. But this is 2010. We are one of the wealthiest teams in the league. Just fix the stadium and reward the fans that have loved, and supported you for so long.

Fans need to be listened to on matters like above.

To be fair, I think most of us expected to see at bare minimum, a more competent version of Mcnabb this season.

Include me in this group. Actually, maybe I should be in the "he must be crazy" group. But I stilll believe McNabb has a few great years left. I really don't feel that we have always put him in the best position to succeed--even with our current roster. There is a large part of me that believes we are ending this relationship prematurely.

Maybe. I have to think there is more to it than just game day performances though. The whole benching thing just struck me as something no intelligent coach does unless they feel their QB isn't paying attention, is tone-deaf, or doesn't care what the coaching staff thinks. Could be wrong, but that's the only way I can make sense of it.

A lot of what is being leaked by 'sources' seems to indicate an unwillingness on Mcnabb's part to adopt the Shanahan's scheme or commit all of his energy and attention to practice.

Then again, don't all players perform better once they leave D.C.? It pains me to say it, but it seems to be a fact.

Maybe. I have to think there is more to it than just game day performances though. The whole benching thing just struck me as something no intelligent coach does unless they feel their QB isn't paying attention, is tone-deaf, or doesn't care what the coaching staff thinks. Could be wrong, but that's the only way I can make sense of it.

A lot of what is being leaked by 'sources' seems to indicate an unwillingness on Mcnabb's part to adopt the Shanahan's scheme or commit all of his energy and attention to practice.

Then again, don't all players perform better once they leave D.C.? It pains me to say it, but it seems to be a fact.

Those sources really bother me as well. The FO is either purposefully or accidentally leaking info about McNabb's practice habits and other capabilities. Why? To make themselves look better? Fine, i understand the defensive nature of most of us, but I am hoping they did not damage his trade value too much.

My opinions there would depend on where the info comes from. If its from fellow players, that's damning. If it's spin given by coaches or front office staff, that doesn't reflect well on the organization. The other thing I'd consider is Mcnabb's own 'leaking' of information. Pretty lame the way he's used his agent to communicate his version of events while trying to stay above the fray, alternating between support and denying the statements represent his own viewpoint, depending on whom he's speaking with.

If the team is dealing with that, they may well be justified communicating the facts as they see them. But you are right, it definitely isn't smart if that's the source, as it can't help his trade value.

Don't dismiss the chance that it isn't some Shanny mind game designed to light an offseason fire under McNabbs ass either.

He may already have determined that he's gonna keep McNabb another year, and he's setting the stage for that.

A good boss can sometimes get great production out of employees who hate their guts.

Ask Phil Simms.

I don't think either reflects well on the organization, particularly since Shanny tells everyone he runs such a tight ship. I dunno, I don't like it at all. If it is from players, they need to be jettisoned. If it from the FO, then... well, sigh.

Ax, I actually completely agree. I need to go find my tin foil hat, hang on...

I am not completely convinced that we will get rid of McNabb. Wouldn't shock me if he stayed around for another go round. He can't be happy with the way things ended up happening this year, maybe wants to try it again? Grossman is showing us he is a decent backup, but not a great starter when teams have time and tape to prepare with. Shanny may be motivating.

Don't dismiss the chance that it isn't some Shanny mind game designed to light an offseason fire under McNabbs ass either.

He may already have determined that he's gonna keep McNabb another year, and he's setting the stage for that.

A good boss can sometimes get great production out of employees who hate their guts.

Ask Phil Simms.

It's not beyond possibility. That's the kind of thing that happens and makes us all look foolish. I just don't get the feeling Shanahan is impressed with Mcnabb in any way and that they legitimately think they can do more with Grossman in there. We shall see what we shall see...

I'm missing something here!!:

"Ignore the fan"....but....follow my resolutions?????????

Agreed Goal. Thing is, the whole 'the fans don't know' stuff is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Truth is, there are a lot of *smart* fans, and many of them have challenged and questioned decisions that, in retrospect, deserved to be challenged and questioned. But there are plenty of fans whose biggest problem is, short of playoffs every year and a Super Bowl run, are calling for coaches to be fired.

Shanahan has made his share of mistakes, and I think you're dead-on that his two biggest were over-estimating this roster's talent level, and placing a value on Mcnabb far beyond what it really was. To be fair, I think most of us expected to see at bare minimum, a more competent version of Mcnabb this season.

dude...you should have said that in your resolution list!

now that I see this....most excellent!

it would be interesting for someone to attack the subtleties of how management synchronizes roster changes over time. that's been one of the biggest problems for the Skins for years. not enough time onboard yet to understand how or whether the current folks in charge are handling this.

Yeah - I could have fleshed that out better, couldn't I? The gist of what I was trying to say was to 'ignore the fans' not because they have no insight, but because fans blow with the wind. I view it like politics. If you pander to the electorate, you can be 'reelected' and be a 'successful' politician. But you won't be a leader. Leaders have to make the best decisions possible with often imperfect information and resources. The same is true for NFL head coaches. Sometimes doing the right thing long-term involves sacrifice and pain in the short term that the voting public, and NFL fans, have little stomach for.

I think that in regards to the fans, you have a few different groups, you always have the pollyannas, the debbie downers, the analysts, the monday morning qbs, but with our fan base because we have been played like a violin for almost 2 decades, some of the more knowledgeable fans have become more reactionary.

I dont have an issue with someone calling for a coaches head when they have a legit reason for doing so, I dont like the guys who read a few blogs and suddenly they start screaming like banshees. I admit Ive waffled, I went from being Pro shanny (at the very start) to wondering wtf he was doing, to being anti shanny until he actually showed me why we hired him to believeing we should wait and see what he does in this offseason and the start of next year.

also Boone, I dont think Shannahan has the stones for the long haul, I think he will go for the quick fix, but we will see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.