• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Official Game Thread - Shoot the Crows

Still, I'd love just one Osaka every couple of preseasons just to tide me over. If the game were in Washington and I were paying for this, I'd really be pissed.

It's not even so much the Redskins. In the first couple of series, the Ravens sat back in the same base defense the Redskins have played all night, and we did just fine. Up until Cooley whiffed on a blitz pickup and forced Jason into a bad pass, anyway.

Since then, right up until this last series, the Ravens have been bringing multiple extra guys from every angle all night. The Redskins I think brought extra people maybe a half dozen times total. Forced too many three and outs and left the D on the field way, way too much. The result is predictable---the D finally collapsed.

We didn't go into this game having worked on multiple-front blitz pickups on offense. The SKins wanted to work on base stuff and look at guys in space (or whatever the hell they were doing), the Ravens wanted to play the same style they always do---balls to the wall. Not a good combination. Am I happy with it? No. Do I think it will resemble the way we approach the Giants on opening day? Also no.

This is exactly how we looked last season before coming out and starting 6-2, remember. I hope we're able to keep our wits about us around here this week.

so, for those of you watching; any real positives?

I hear you Mark, and I don't think anyone here doesn't get that 'it's the pre-season' :)

On the other hand - if the pre-season doesn't correlate to the regular season, I don't think that because we looked bad last pre-season and rattled off a 6-2 start, that looking bad this pre-season will logically lead to similar results (and I know that's not really what you're saying).

It's true that you can't gauge regular season potential by pre-season results. But on offense, there's no indication to date that we're going to see an improved version. In fact, all signs point to the reverse.

I shall, however, engage in deep-breathing and yoga relaxation exercises until we prove it one way or another when it counts.

And by your blog measurement standard, we arguably showed evidence of progress on 2 of 5 - we showed some movement and pressure up front (or at least, Brian Orakpo did), and as far as I know, we had no major injuries (I heard Golston was hurt, but assume that was minor - correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
This is exactly how we looked last season .

Can't you say that for the last four,five years though?

I expect this from Gibbs. It was his M.O. when it came to preseason. But Zorn too??

I don't think anyone's saying put the playbook on display but my goodness....an offense and QB that desperately needs confidence and you stack the deck against them from the very outset??

Not very smart in this Armchair coach/gm/qb's opinion.

:elvis:(hey, it is Elvis week in Memphis)

I frigging hate the pre-season. I swear, I'd vote to get rid of it entirely if given the chance :) What I really don't get is, the NFL insists on having an extended pre-season, then makes the games almost completely unavailable to it's fans to watch.

Makes no sense.

Big positive from tonight - Orakpo is going to be a playa. Nice to see we didn't misfire with a high pick. May prove even to have been a homerun selection.

Big positive from tonight - Orakpo is going to be a playa. Nice to see we didn't misfire with a high pick. May prove even to have been a homerun selection.

And it sounds like Jarman is going to be a stud too. I am excited for this D-Line for the next few years.

Not enough beer in the world to get through the pre-season though. Just not enough...

OK, what's with the Ravens calling a T.O. with 3 seconds left and attempting a FG with a 23-0 lead. Do they hate the Skins that much? That's pretty classless, even for preseason.

I hear you Mark, and I don't think anyone here doesn't get that 'it's the pre-season' :)

On the other hand - if the pre-season doesn't correlate to the regular season, I don't think that because we looked bad last pre-season and rattled off a 6-2 start, that looking bad this pre-season will logically lead to similar results (and I know that's not really what you're saying).

It's true that you can't gauge regular season potential by pre-season results. But on offense, there's no indication to date that we're going to see an improved version. In fact, all signs point to the reverse.

I shall, however, engage in deep-breathing and yoga relaxation exercises until we prove it one way or another when it counts.

And by your blog measurement standard, we arguably showed evidence of progress on 2 of 5 - we showed some movement and pressure up front (or at least, Brian Orakpo did), and as far as I know, we had no major injuries (I heard Golston was hurt, but assume that was minor - correct me if I'm wrong).
Not sure I agree with you on the bolded part. I didn't read 'signs' in tonight's farce at all. We saw "the offense" exactly two series, playing total vanilla, and they did just fine. In fact, after the first series, I was quite pleased with the OL and Campbell. Everything after that, with mix and match OL's and the Ravens bringing extra bodies on every single play I'm treating as a totally mismatched set of agendas being broadcast on TV and sold as a "football game." :)

I learned nothing about 'the offense' tonight. I DID get a chance to see Malcolm Kelly flash, though. And M. Hagans probably play himself out off the team. And Fred Davis look pretty damn dangerous--both for and against us. And Colt prove that even he can't go 1-on-11. And a few other things about individuals.

But that's it. Whatever Zorn wanted to see tonight, it wasn't suited to go against what the Ravens wanted to see tonight. I know many people see that as a failing on Zorn's part, but I don't. I see it as the farce that is the NFL preseason on breathless television being presented as a real football game.

Can't you say that for the last four,five years though?

I expect this from Gibbs. It was his M.O. when it came to preseason. But Zorn too??

I don't think anyone's saying put the playbook on display but my goodness....an offense and QB that desperately needs confidence and you stack the deck against them from the very outset??

Not very smart in this Armchair coach/gm/qb's opinion.

:elvis:(hey, it is Elvis week in Memphis)

Again .. was it Zorn's fault for not "preparing" to face what the Ravens decided to bring all night, or the Ravens who should have their heads examined for playing Preseason Game 1 like live fire?

I don't know that answer to that, but like most things, I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

By the way, Trevor Matich just said "shame on the Ravens" for doing exactly what I was talking about.

He's a smart man. :)

Incidentally ... I have NO idea what Greg Blache was doing tonight. Time and again you'd see the four down linemen basically stand up at the LOS, and the QB would throw to a guy over the middle, and you wouldn't see another Redskin for another 10 yards downfield. It was like we were playing a 4-0-7 or something. Very strange.

I wasn't referring to just tonight's game - I was referring to what's been reported on during the entire 'pre-season' period, namely a swiss cheese offensive line, and late decision-making by JC. It sounded from your reports like JC got better than expected protection, so that's good news. Also, without a couple stars on offense, you really can't make an assessment. So you're probably correct there.

There's only one downside to not 'playing' the game in any real sense with your starters though. And that's that you really aren't GOING to know what they can do until the regular season. Guess given the choice between going through the motions and hoping we can be effective, and overdoing it and having confidence we will be, I'd prefer the former. But that's why I'm a fan, and that's probably where the gulf between fans and the coaching staff is most obvious.

And Fred Davis? 2 fumbles, right? I don't care how manly you look when you're not fumbling - you do that, you'll ride the pine, and before long may find yourself looking for another job entirely. He'd better pick it up.

Last edited:
---------------------------

Last edited:
I didn't see Jason Campbell look "uncertain and scared," for one thing. :)

I saw Jason look sharp on the first series, and unable to overcome Cooley's whiff block on 3rd down on the second. After that I saw him in a baseball cap. At no time did I see him look scared.

Of course, he hadn't see the message boards yet.

I liked Orakpo, Malcolm Kelly, D. Hall, the starting OL on pass pro, HB Blades, Jeremy Jarmon, some backup DT named Dixon and probably a couple other guys I'm forgetting right now.

I liked what I heard Matich say about the Ravens and their approach to preseason. He's smart.

I like what I just heard Blache say about how HE approached this thing ... intentionally and repeatedly isolating his young corners in man and seeing "who could cover and who couldn't."

I like that he makes no bones about what preseason is for, at least in his philosophy. How it's about getting guys on film and hopefully learning who can play physically and mentally and who can't, and having film to use as training material tomorrow.

And I like that after 48 years, I'm finally learning how to treat preseason for what it is. One less month out of the year to stress myself out over for no legit reason.

Last edited:
----------------------

Last edited:
You definitely need to get to a game, brother. And given your interest in seeing plays develop, consider sitting upper deck end zone. You'll be mesmerized.

I didn't hear Sonny on the open guy JC supposedly missed, but if it's true (Sonny may change his mind after seeing the film too--things can look quite different from the press box), that would be my ongoing concern over Jason. There have been a lot of missed opportunities like that in his short career that we only hear about after the fact. His field vision has been an area of concern all along.

Still, I gave him no worse than B- tonight in two series. Didn't see anything that struck me much either way. On to Week Two and Steelers. Another team sure to get after the QB ...

So...have not heard anyone say anything about Rinehart. As Thomas was on the inactive list I assume we saw him with the first team. Is the silence good or bad?

So...have not heard anyone say anything about Rinehart. As Thomas was on the inactive list I assume we saw him with the first team. Is the silence good or bad?
I'd have to go back and look at the tape, but if he was in with the starters on the first 1-2 series, he probably did fine since by and large the whole unit did. On pass pro, anyway. There was nothing in the run game, due at least in part to the fact Baltimore had the entire Inner Harbor in the box. To what extent he saw extended playing time beyond that I couldn't tell you. The mixing and matching of guys up front came fast and furious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.