• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Protecting the ball

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
I was digging around the NFL stats page a little while ago-looking for things that the Redskins are doing and how we compare with the rest of the league and I ran across one that's being overlooked but is, I think, essential.

We'seem to be doing a pretty good job of protecting the ball on offense.

For example-we've commited 5 fumbles-not super but far fewer than most-it ties us with the Ravens and Steelers for 9th place.

The Vikings, Jets and Rams have 4, the Chiefs, Dolphins, Pats, Texans, Falcons, and Seahawks 3-the bloody Cowburps only 2.

However, we've only lost one fumble. The only other team with 5 or more fumbles with only one lost is the Steelers. And of all those teams above with fewer than 5 fumbles only the Chiefs and Jets have lost only one, everybody else has lost more-the bloody Cowburps lost both of theirs. :)claps:)

In case you're wondering who's having the worst time with fumbles-the San Diego Chargers have commited 11 fumbles-and lost 9 of them. Yuck.

On a related issue-turnovers we're not doing too badly either. We're right now at +4 on turnovers which ties us with the Patriots for fourth place-the Jets are at +8, Steelers, Falcons and Eagles at +7, and the Tampa Bay Bucs at +5. The turnover bottom-feeder right now is the poor 49ers at -10. Yikes!

That +4 looks pretty decent considering that last season we finished 28th with a -11 turnover ratio and had 30 fumbles of which we lost 12.

Hmmm... 5 games, 5 fumbles one lost; thatt's a pace for 16 fumbles total losing 20% of them or 3 lost. Last season the best record on fumbles lost was the Colts with 11 total but 5 lost. Nobody had less than 5 fumbles lost last season either.

Basically, I'm just poiting out some things we seem to be doing better than we have been. I'll probably be doing this kind of thing from time to time.

Heres the page if you want to dig around yourself:http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&archive=true&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-o=1&conference=null&d-447263-s=FUMBLES_LOST&d-447263-n=1&season=2009&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1

Nice find Serv. Well coached, disciplined teams seem to consistantly have those +10 or better turnover ratios over the course of a season. That usually translates into victories more often than not. Here's hoping we can keep up the trend. :cheers:

A lot of that is on McNabb. A significant percentage of fumbles are on the QB on sacks. McNabb just seems to be able to hang on to the ball when he's being sacked. While he's not the most accurate passer, he does seem to have excellent pocket presence and knows how to tuck the ball away when he's about to get sacked.

I think we might have discovered a major difference between close losses and close wins.

This is pure speculation on my part but I wonder at times if Mcnabb throws balls low to lower Int % on shorter routes where it appears the reciever is covered. Perhaps Reid coached him that way.

I wonder if any team will ever come close to our +43 ratio of 1983. That was astounding.

I wonder if any team will ever come close to our +43 ratio of 1983. That was astounding.

I couldn't remember the number, but this was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread.

I think we might have discovered a major difference between close losses and close wins.

A major reason why this team is 3-2 (2-0 in division, 3-1 conference). Hopefully, it will be 4-2 with the ratio of turnovers improving even more.

Great find Serv - thanks a bunch.

Kirbster, I couldn't resist doing some more digging on this one. Thanks to NFL.com's History pages and Pro-Football reference I found this;

The 1983 Redskins have the 3rd highest total of opponent's turnovers in history with 61. The only ones higher were the 1984 Seattle Seahawks with 63 and the 1961 (!) San Diego Chargers with 66.

The 1961 San Diego Chargers turnover margin, however was only(!) +22 and the 1984 Seahawks was +24. I haven't been able to find-yet anyway-a listing of the highest turnover differential totals in NFL history but from what I'm finding so far it looks like the '83 Redskins may indeed hold the all time record for a single season.

Even the feared 1985 Bears defense only (! again) managed a +23.

Kirbster, I couldn't resist doing some more digging on this one. Thanks to NFL.com's History pages and Pro-Football reference I found this;

The 1983 Redskins have the 3rd highest total of opponent's turnovers in history with 61. The only ones higher were the 1984 Seattle Seahawks with 63 and the 1961 (!) San Diego Chargers with 66.

The 1961 San Diego Chargers turnover margin, however was only(!) +22 and the 1984 Seahawks was +24. I haven't been able to find-yet anyway-a listing of the highest turnover differential totals in NFL history but from what I'm finding so far it looks like the '83 Redskins may indeed hold the all time record for a single season.

Even the feared 1985 Bears defense only (! again) managed a +23.

That truly was an amazing stat for the 83 team. Quite a team that will never get its due since the got demolished in the SB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.