• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Change on the horizon

Gulf Coast Redskin

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I am excited, yet scared at the same time, as change could be on the horizon. I have been working in a warehouse here in Mobile for 2 years now of a printing & sublimation company & while it has it's positives that I probably won't find in too many places, it also has many negatives that I won't find in too many places either.

Recently, those negatives have started to outweigh the positives as the managers consistently treat us warehouse associates with a lack of respect that is a bit on the ridiculous side. I have 2 main bosses (under the actual owners) & then a supervisor under them, so I guess you could say I have 3 bosses. The head guy is a head case who seems to have a severe case of bipolar psychosis. One minute he jokes with you about football, the next he could be belittling you in front of the other guys we work with about not using the proper wording when looking for a part number you can't find.

His assistant is a wishy-washy kid of 28 years old who has been working at this job for 12 years & this is his first real job. He has been in the assistant manager role for about 4 years & believes that, simply because he has an idea, it's automatically good because it came from him. If he tells someone what to do & they do it, but don't like it, he believes this is grounds to bring them into the office & discuss the problem.

His assistant, the 3rd supervisor, is an emotionally unstable roller coaster with whom you never really know what you will get when you approach him about anything, work related or not. He has had several altercations with multiple people in just the last 3 weeks to such a level, that every one of us (I was one of the people he had an altercation with) were ready to accept losing our jobs for the chance to knock him out.

These are the guys that run our warehouse & they are bad at it. I am frustrated to say the least. Mainly because I see so many areas where we could improve; I've been in management for years in many other jobs & see opportunities & have asked for chances to prove myself as a leader, yet have been told that if they were to put me in a position of leadership, there would be a mutiny on the floor because of all the complaints I get, which isn't really true as he (my boss) brought up people in our conversation that have never complained about me.

Many of us in the warehouse (if not all) are looking for another job. The pay here is not all that good, & you have to chase the boss down for an evaluation & he still takes 3 MONTHS to give it to you & you don't get retro pay (which is why he drags his feet on it). The benefits are T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. For me to have coverage thru my job for me & my wife, it costs $850 a month & there are apparently a lot of restrictions on what they cover & what they don't. However, the Dental is great. Go figure. So, I have been putting out applications & looking for any opportunity to move on.

Today, I got a letter in the main from Austal, which is a ship building company down here to interview for Maritime Electrical training which doesn't guarantee me a job with them, but if I pass the training course, I could very well get an offer making over $6 an hour more than I'm making now. Austal is a big company, so benefits are probably way better too. My interview is on Thursday, so I will make sure to post an update when I get a chance afterward. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated as I trust my Lord to guide & lead me thru this.

I just wanted to share that with y'all. :)

While without being in a given situation, it's always hard to judge exactly what's going on, sounds to me like you need to make a change. One thing I've learned in my years, is that we should all expect excellence and refuse to accept less than excellence. If your current employer can't provide excellent management (and it sounds like they're a far sight from it), find a company that can. Or start your own. Great companies that not only recognize excellence, but promote it, are out there. You just have to find them. Good luck!

While without being in a given situation, it's always hard to judge exactly what's going on, sounds to me like you need to make a change. One thing I've learned in my years, is that we should all expect excellence and refuse to accept less than excellence. If your current employer can't provide excellent management (and it sounds like they're a far sight from it), find a company that can. Or start your own. Great companies that not only recognize excellence, but promote it, are out there. You just have to find them. Good luck!

This company that I currently work for is a relatively new company & there is a lot to be said for inexperience. Nothing really wrong with being young & inexperienced. However, when you have people working for you that have more experience...I know when I was in that situation where I had people below me that were experienced in an area that maybe I wasn't, I would draw from them & allow them to use that experience for the betterment of the company & the team. What good does it do to intentionally & frequently stifle that? So, I look to move on since they refuse to accept the changes that come with growth. It is sad, tho. For the most part, I really like this job. I like what I do, I like most of the people I work with. But the incompetence above me is at a tipping point for me.

That said, this is an opportunity that can lead to me one day being a business owner & being able to be my own boss & really take care of my family in ways I've only dreamed about.

Best of luck to you.

So, I had the interview this morning. And while I won't know for sure for a couple of weeks while they compile their data on all the candidates for these training classes, I think I can honestly say I nailed it! They have 2 classes they are signing people up for. Mornings, which is 6am-2:30pm Monday thru Thursday or evening classes, 6pm-10pm, also M-Th. The evening is the one I need & unfortunately they have no evening classes scheduled just yet. But, once they do, they'll let me know that I can start (or that they didn't accept me, which I do not anticipate). The classes are Maritime Electrical, but I'll be learning a lot of welding as well, which I'm happy about that because I can take both of those things anywhere once I have certs.

Anyway, I'll update as I get updated!

Thank you for your support & prayers! God is good. :D

Just saw this thread. That is good news, GCR - good luck!!

UPDATE: I got a call & a letter today saying that I have been accepted to the training program & classes start on Monday...at 6am.

Who is excited? This guy.:whoo:

Congrats - knock 'em dead! :cheers:

Congratulations. One thing I've discovered in the last few years is the importance of happiness. Especially outside of 'the grind.'

If your job situation gets in the way, create a better situation, and looks like you are well on your way!

Yeah man, congrats on the big win!!

Thanks everybody. Feelin the love & support from so many places in this situation & I am so very grateful to everyone for that. I am excited & nervous, but electrical work is where I feel at home & I haven't been able to do it professionally since 9/11 (or soon thereafter) & starting over again at 40 is a little bit strange to me, but I feel like, it's never too late...until it's too late. I love that I will HOPEFULLY be hired on at the end of the training course & of course, I'll post that good news as well, but as patriotic as I am, I cannot express just how excited I am to have the chance to build ships for our Navy. To be a part of that just....

:cheer2::whoo::2thumbsup::djsmilie::thewave::usa2:

Again, thank you all. I love this place. I really feel the "family" atmosphere here that I had missing for some time. Hail to the Redskins! Hail USA!

First week of class completed. Aced all my final tests & passed most of the practice tests. The only bad thing is, I'm stuck with a Cowboys fan from Dallas, 20 years old & cocky as all get out. Exchanging pleasantries on Thursday & jokes about one another's teams, I wanted to knock him out when he made a joke about Sean Taylor. After I showed him my tattoo, he suddenly realized that I didn't find it the least bit amusing & he started back-pedaling rather quickly. That said, I don't like him. I didn't just need that moment to determine that, but it did help me solidify my decision on it.

Anyway, all classwork this past week & should be some this week, with some actual real work coming. Mostly welding. Looking forward to the learning process, but going from 4:30am-10:00pm every day is rough on me. Praying that God gives me the strength & the energy I need to get through this next few weeks.

You should change your name to "kickin ass on the Gulf Coast redskin"

First week of class completed. Aced all my final tests & passed most of the practice tests. The only bad thing is, I'm stuck with a Cowboys fan from Dallas, 20 years old & cocky as all get out. Exchanging pleasantries on Thursday & jokes about one another's teams, I wanted to knock him out when he made a joke about Sean Taylor. After I showed him my tattoo, he suddenly realized that I didn't find it the least bit amusing & he started back-pedaling rather quickly. That said, I don't like him. I didn't just need that moment to determine that, but it did help me solidify my decision on it.

Anyway, all classwork this past week & should be some this week, with some actual real work coming. Mostly welding. Looking forward to the learning process, but going from 4:30am-10:00pm every day is rough on me. Praying that God gives me the strength & the energy I need to get through this next few weeks.

I bet that Cowgirl fan was quiet on Tuesday! The one at my job, who normally loves to jaw-jack about the greatness of Dallass, has been awful silent! ...

Wow - that is grind, but it sounds like you are getting through it! Good luck, my man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.