• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Should marijuana be allowed by the NFL and or teams

Marijuana use in the NFL

• Yes, only for medical use

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It should be up to the teams to decide not the NFL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SC_RedskinsFan

The Starter
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
I am curious on everybody's take on this. I know that this can be a hot issue, so please try to keep it civil! I am adding a poll as well, but it is not just a cut and dry poll question.

Should the NFL allow marijuana use, if so should it just be medical or recreational in states that allow it?

Should teams and owners have a say over their teams? As in the Broncos will allow it, but the Colts will not.

If the Redskins decided to allow it, or not allow it what effect (if any) would that have on you supporting the team?

I personally think that if the NFL allows it, that an individual team should still be able to say no. I would not want anyone on the Redskins to be using it, because it could hurt the players performance on the field and the team.

I would also think that companies that sponsor players would not want someone on their payroll who is known to use.

i'm fine if they use it as long as it's legal, i just don't want it being advertised.

punishment for tweeting pics, etc.

that might be asking for too much.

That's the problem, it's not legal, so how can you allow it ? People come off with the ooooo, I don't want my teams players using weed, yet it's just too funny when we look back at Riggo and some of his adventures. How many games did he show up severely hung over, maybe still drunk. I've heard many drunken player stories, but because it's legal, it's coool. Hell, sit down with Jurgy, and he can tell ya few good stories of drunkenness the night before games.

People are clueless when it comes to weed. It's a great pain killer, with little to no short term side effects as do prescription pain meds. Same goes for a sleep or stress aid. People in their 20's and early 30's aren't slowed down by it, more so, ones that are in exceptional physical condition... like pro football players. Smokin the night before isn't going to effect your play at 1pm the next day, and there's no hang over to deal with. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't lead to harder drugs, but prescription pain meds do... look at the heroin problem in this country right now. There's also far, far, far fewer cases of physical or sexual abuse do to a guy being stoned. Look at the number of instances of domestic disturbances with alcohol involved.

People round here make it sound like it's the devils dick, and pure evil. I doubt there's more then two or three members here who smoked long enough to really know what the deal is.

But again, it's not legal, so how can the NFL allow it.

I always have one question to this: If your pain and such is severe enough to warrant marijuana as medical use, what the hell are you doing playing in the NFL?

I'd bet I'm in the top 10%, worldwide, of pot consumption. Even having quit 10+ years ago.
Obviously I loved it. And miss it to this day. I don't think using it is any worse than alcohol. But it's not harmless. Or very beneficial. And it is absolutely addictive.

If it can be proven, beyond question, to have medical benefits that can't be achieved otherwise, then so be it. Get a prescription. If teams still don't want to allow it's use by players, they should be able to bar said players.

Most excuses, and that's what the overwhelming majority of them are, excuses, for condoning marijuana use, are manufactured by users to justify getting high.
It shouldn't be legalized. And even if it is, the NFL, or any other company in the country, should be able to discourage it's use, by their employees, if they choose to.

And, in that scenario, the NFL should choose to not allow it's use, by their employees. Which, to be fair, if the players can't, then neither should the owners, coaches, doctors, nurses, office staff, etc...

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Drugs ;)

I never said it should be legalized, that's the last thing I want to see. I never said it wasn't addictive, but it's no more addictive then many prescribed drugs and booze. My point is, players are allowed to take far more dangerous drugs legally. As for hang over from it, I'm not buying that one Mike. I gave it up around 9 years ago, but prior to that I smoked every day for over 30 years, and I'm talking wake and bake, and all the day through. Leading to harder drugs is another point I'm not buying. That's all on the individual, and their ability to deal with pressure from the people they associate with. Now it can cause you to make bad decisions, just like booze, and prescription drugs.

Again, people wig over grass and players for one reason only, because it's not legal, and the false perception pushed by media and government. It sure as shit isn't as harmful as booze. I've seen a lot of people die of alcoholism at young ages, and I've also seen a lot of very old stoners still enjoying life.

I always have one question to this: If your pain and such is severe enough to warrant marijuana as medical use, what the hell are you doing playing in the NFL?

Players receive injections before games and during games on a regular basis to manage pain. Get half way through the season and when people are asked if they're 'healthy' they all say no - everyone's got something hurt, you just play. For decades guys have been getting concussions and then lying about their injury to go back onto the field - the result is believed to be CTC which leads to personality disorders such as aggression/rage and possibly even suicide (research is still in its infancy here.)

Our star quarterback that we traded a ton of picks for can be seen on camera during a playoff game telling our LT that his knee was hurt, an injury he's had all season and been wearing a brace for and a knee he's already had repaired once before, but to not tell anyone because he didn't want to be taken out of the game.

There's a lot of money involved and every play you're on the sideline is a play someone else might be taking your job.

The players in the NFL play through tons of pain. And they manage it with legal substances like pills and injections. I imagine they also use illegal substances, but that's just an assumption. The ability to use marijuana isn't going to change anything other than the substance they use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize everyone is different. But during 30+ years of heavy marijuana use, not once did it do a damn thing for any pain I was in.

That's the problem, it's not legal, so how can you allow it ? People come off with the ooooo, I don't want my teams players using weed, yet it's just too funny when we look back at Riggo and some of his adventures. How many games did he show up severely hung over, maybe still drunk. I've heard many drunken player stories, but because it's legal, it's coool. Hell, sit down with Jurgy, and he can tell ya few good stories of drunkenness the night before games.

People are clueless when it comes to weed. It's a great pain killer, with little to no short term side effects as do prescription pain meds. Same goes for a sleep or stress aid. People in their 20's and early 30's aren't slowed down by it, more so, ones that are in exceptional physical condition... like pro football players. Smokin the night before isn't going to effect your play at 1pm the next day, and there's no hang over to deal with. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't lead to harder drugs, but prescription pain meds do... look at the heroin problem in this country right now. There's also far, far, far fewer cases of physical or sexual abuse do to a guy being stoned. Look at the number of instances of domestic disturbances with alcohol involved.

People round here make it sound like it's the devils dick, and pure evil. I doubt there's more then two or three members here who smoked long enough to really know what the deal is.

But again, it's not legal, so how can the NFL allow it.

sorry…but I have the last two days been listening to healthcare professionals who state the exact opposite. that regular pot smoking has lasting health and psychological impacts. there are statistical correlations that show regular pot use can and has led to heavier drug use. there is the common sense idea that breathing smoke into one's lungs regularly and altering brain chemistry isn't a "natural" thing. healthcare professionals are pointing out that pot being sold these days is infinitely stronger than it was back in the 60s & 70s. They also note that the THC doesn't just disappear. It stays in the system.

In my mind, the jury is still out. I know I will not be encouraging my kids to smoke pot. Others are free to advocate what they think is best for society and their children.

I realize everyone is different. But during 30+ years of heavy marijuana use, not once did it do a damn thing for any pain I was in.

Maybe you were smoking the wrong kind ;)

I don't know anything about the medical benefits of marijuana, so I can't really comment. I realize there's a lot of cancer patients that firmly believe it helps them and is better than the alternatives, but other than that I'm clueless on the subject. My stance on it has nothing to do with the medical angle and I actually think a lot of legalize marijuana supporters do a disservice by trying to sell phony pitches about medicinal use that most people can see right through.

According to Jerome Bettis this week, at least 80% of the NFL is on weed anyway. By no means scientific, but as ubiquitous as weed is these days, not hard to accept. At some point the League is going to have to either accept it or ignore it. They can't suspend 80% of the league. The issue is a little like file-sharing. The common behavior is outside the law. Eventually they have to accept what people are doing, I guess.

there are statistical correlations that show regular pot use can and has led to heavier drug use.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Do you have a link to those studies? I'm very much interested in them. That type of statement has been proven farce over and over and is still, to this day, used to rail against any legalization discussion. So I'm really curious what new information may have surfaced that justifies that statement, or if it's just more farce.

The REALLY scary thing to me, if they keep messing with player's livelihood, they're going to drive more players into synthetics. And, while legal, there's all KINDS of crazy that come with that untested stuff. Miami Face-Eater, anyone?

According to Jerome Bettis this week, at least 80% of the NFL is on weed anyway. By no means scientific, but as ubiquitous as weed is these days, not hard to accept. At some point the League is going to have to either accept it or ignore it. They can't suspend 80% of the league. The issue is a little like file-sharing. The common behavior is outside the law. Eventually they have to accept what people are doing, I guess.

Chris Cooley said the same thing.

When he was a redskin there were multiple times he smelled weed in the team hotel area right before a game.

This debate makes me laugh. It's so comically stupid that Marijuana is illegal and tobacco and Alcohol are not. Yes it SHOULD be legalized for several fairly simple reasons. The prohibition aspects which are an entire discussion alone, the revenue and tax wealth that can be generated from an industry that is not in any way being curbed by law enforcement is well into the billions. It would also create a new source for cash crops and give us the ability to replace the pulp paper industry with hemp paper as well as textiles and many other things that hemp can be made into. It can also give a huge boost to the farming industry. Hemp used to be America's #1 cash crop...but Reefer madness changed that...that's just intellectual incompetence on a massive national level. The elimination of a huge international drug trade, elimination of a LOT of crime, a lot of non violent, otherwise harmless criminals would never see a jail cell and could be contributing members of society instead of financial drains in the prison system & regulation of a huge industry that at this stage has none. These are just a few very basic but obviously beneficial reasons to legalize...and the only reason not to is a bunch of false information based on faulty studies (most tests done to test carcinogen levels are done with pot leaves which are much higher in tar level and aren't smoked by consumers anyway, so it's an incorrectly high number and it also doesn't account for water filtration which absolutely crushes anything a filter can do)

I don't care if you smoked for two decades or still burn it, if you're making the argument that the ONLY reason anyone could POSSIBLY be arguing FOR legalization is so they can have unfettered stoner sessions you've got zero credibility in this debate. NONE AX. I am a HUGE proponent of legalization for political reasons and it's more than a little insulting when I hear that jackass argument. It's more of that painting with a broad brush and speaking for a huge group of people that you have no basis for doing so. Your experience means two things when discussing what goes on in other's minds...jack and squat. By that logic everyone who ever has or has enjoyed a drink is a raging alcoholic. No chance someone could be FOR the personal liberty that allows them to regulate what goes into their body (instead of the GOV) and not be a heavy consumer huh? If one thinks smokers are treated unfairly and that regs are infringing on personal rights they MUST be a walking chimney right? PLEASE. That's just so weak. How about I am for a grown adult being able to decide whether they want to smoke or drink and it's their own business if done in the privacy of their own home? Nah...just crazy. Oh and the argument about don't do it for the kids is not based in reality. It's easier now to get pot than it is tobacco or alcohol. They don't even have to leave school to do it. Legalize it and take it out of the black market and you will make it like Alcohol, still easy to get with a fake ID or a legal buyer but not as easy as it is now and the safety is not regulated now the way cigarettes are.

As for the NFL, it's whether it's legal or not that's the issue. If it's legal then not much they can really say unless someone proves to have a problem, but until it's legal on federal level I don't see how that's gonna fly. Federal laws still prohibit it and the DEA could technically still come after ya even if your state doesn't. No if I was running things in the NFL it'l stay banned until it's legal federally.

I never said it should be legalized, that's the last thing I want to see. I never said it wasn't addictive, but it's no more addictive then many prescribed drugs and booze. My point is, players are allowed to take far more dangerous drugs legally. As for hang over from it, I'm not buying that one Mike. I gave it up around 9 years ago, but prior to that I smoked every day for over 30 years, and I'm talking wake and bake, and all the day through. Leading to harder drugs is another point I'm not buying. That's all on the individual, and their ability to deal with pressure from the people they associate with. Now it can cause you to make bad decisions, just like booze, and prescription drugs.

Again, people wig over grass and players for one reason only, because it's not legal, and the false perception pushed by media and government. It sure as shit isn't as harmful as booze. I've seen a lot of people die of alcoholism at young ages, and I've also seen a lot of very old stoners still enjoying life.

Miles…this simply isn't true. Growing up in the 60s/70s I knew people who died because of pot use. It' not just the impact on the body….it's the decisions people make when high and, say, are sitting behind the wheel of a car. Whether other drugs are approved is, IMO, largely irrelevant. whether you believe you can handle it is not relevant to whether an 18 year old working the engine on an F/A-18 can handle it. there are real consequences when decision processes break down. and there is no doubt in my mind that the evidence overwhelmingly points in the direction of just about any mind altering substance impacting deliberative processes.

what's at issue is whether society believes it is worth accepting the extra risk. there will be a down-side. there always is. it then gets to be a crap-shoot/probability game who chance strikes out and cripples. I think arguing that this is a benign, personal decision that has no unintended consequences ignores reality. again, it's a societal decision. At this point, I'm more interested in how one exacts justice when the unintended consequences become a personal reality.

If it's legal then not much they can really say
I wouldn't be so fast to believe that.

A corporation is still able to put rules in place for their employees. That area involves a lot of legal stuff that I have zero knowledge on (maybe someone else here does and can chime in?) but I'm pretty sure they can still bar you from using a mind altering substance if they have reason to believe it would impact your work. They have the ability to control your tobacco use and that's legal. There are places in virginia that will not hire you, and will fire you, if you use tobacco. My wife works at one, so I know it's being done.

Then you have all the government workers.

Most of that is way over my head but I think there's a lot more to it than if it's legal then a corporation can't do much about it.

Maybe you were smoking the wrong kind ;)
On the contrary, i smoked every kind there was. ;)

I don't know anything about the medical benefits of marijuana, so I can't really comment. I realize there's a lot of cancer patients that firmly believe it helps them and is better than the alternatives, but other than that I'm clueless on the subject. My stance on it has nothing to do with the medical angle and I actually think a lot of legalize marijuana supporters do a disservice by trying to sell phony pitches about medicinal use that most people can see right through.
Agree wholeheartedly that the "legalize supporters" use phony pitches that don't help their cause much. I'm sure the anti's do too.

Chris Cooley said the same thing.

When he was a redskin there were multiple times he smelled weed in the team hotel area right before a game.

I'm now beginning to understand the Redskins sorry arse record over the last two decades. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.